Manchester United

redrus

I can't and won't disagree but, I think we started out all wrong.

We should not have played Rooney out of position, he or Tevez or Berbatov (I say Berbatov) should have been on the bench. 4-4-2 with Nani on the wing. He takes time to get into a game and, is not yet at a level where he can come into a Premier league game with 15 minutes to go and make a difference.

The Giggs substitution timing IMO was correct but, with my line up would have had more effect. If needed and for his debut Berba coming on after 60 to 65 mins for either Tevez or Rooney but, thats game dependant.

redrus

have to agree redrus, i was surprised, and happy, to see rooney line up out there. gave us the opportunity to play higher up the pitch and aurelio and riera quickly realised rooney was way out of position.

youre right berbatov shouldnt have started the game ,hes new and needs time to settle and get to know how the other players think

Didn't Berbatov set up the first goal?

Moss

He did Moss but, I believe the overall performance would have been 5x better had the tactics been right. That moment aside, he seemed fazed....!

redrus

So he would have set up 5 goals? :o

Liverpool hungrier for the win.United very poor apart from the opening 20 minutes.

Obviously missing Ronaldo but also the influence of Carlos Queiroz as Fergies no.2.

Still,early days.....last season first 3 games 2 points....this season 4 points.

Very dissapointing, only in the firts 10 or 15 minutes did United play anything like decent. After that it was all Liverpool, and they just seemed to want it more. Some of Uniteds passing was shocking, and as much as I hate to say it, the best team won. :o

Fergie is going to have take a share of the blame. Rooney wide right , never ! There is only one place for him in behind the central striker. Fergie has had plenty of time to think about his set up . If it means Tevez ,Berbatov, Rooney etc on the bench at some time so be it but that formation doesnt work and with Ronaldo back its even more important to get it right. The 2 goals they gave away were shockers and Liverpool played better , were hungrier ,enjoyed every deflection and won nearly every 50/50 ball. But thats United we have seen it all before ,make it as hard as you possibly can and then catch up.

youre right berbatov shouldnt have started the game ,hes new and needs time to settle and get to know how the other players think

Didn't Berbatov set up the first goal?

Moss

He did Moss but, I believe the overall performance would have been 5x better had the tactics been right. That moment aside, he seemed fazed....!

redrus

So he would have set up 5 goals? :D

No, he would not have been on the pitch....! :o

Very dissapointing, only in the firts 10 or 15 minutes did United play anything like decent. After that it was all Liverpool, and they just seemed to want it more. Some of Uniteds passing was shocking, and as much as I hate to say it, the best team won. :D

Fergie is going to have take a share of the blame. Rooney wide right , never ! But thats United we have seen it all before ,make it as hard as you possibly can and then catch up.

Fergie can take most of the blame, the players the rest.

We did not get outplayed and certainly not outclassed. As the dippers kept saying in these past years, 'it was our own stupid mistakes that cost us and, we didn't capitalise on the chances we made'.

redrus

Hey Red, have you heard any problems re our shirt sponsors AIG, apparantly due to all the turmoil in the American Banks the knock-on effect is causing some concern to financial markets.

This from todays BBC :-

" There are fears AIG, once the world's largest insurer, could also face collapse. It is taking steps to raise money amid reports it is seeking a $40bn emergency loan from the Fed."

and

Insurer in trouble

"In addition to Lehman and Merrill Lynch, problems at AIG, once the world's largest insurer, are also mounting."

Can you keep us informed of anything of interest please.

Seems so LK.......

Uncertainty for Man. United sponsor amid Wall St troubles

Monday, 15 September 2008- The Independant

The American insurance firm AIG, the principal sponsors of Manchester United, have fallen into a "liquidity crisis" and are seeking the help of the US Federal Reserve. It is, as yet, unclear how this will affect Manchester United, whose jersey carries the logo of AIG.

Shares of AIG fell nearly 40 percent in pre-market trading after reports that the insurer had turned to the Federal Reserve for $40 billion in bridge financing to ward off a liquidity crisis and ratings downgrades.

The up-front cost of insuring $10 million of AIG's debt for five years jumped to $3.05 million from $1.3 million on Friday, in addition to annual payments of $500,000, according to Markit Intraday.

Manchester United have a four-year sponsorship deal with the AIG, worth £56.5m. Signed in 2006, it is the biggest sponsorship deal in English football.

Just as West Ham United look set to lose £8m in their sponsorship deal with with XL following the collapse of the low-cost airline and tour operator last week, Manchester United could be facing similar difficulties.

However it has been reported that the Manchester United is confident the deal with AIG will remain in place and that AIG will be able to honour their commitment to the club.

The insurer, which has incurred $18 billion in losses over the past three quarters from guarantees it wrote on mortgage derivatives, was hit on Friday by Standard & Poor's putting the company's credit ratings on negative watch, indicating a possible downgrade.

Over the weekend, AIG executives and New York state insurance regulators scrambled to hatch a plan that would boost AIG's liquidity.

AIG shares have fallen about 80 percent since the start of the year.

About time we had a new one anyway and, we've had the money out of em so, maybe City could give em a loan...... :o

redrus

United told not to fear AIG disaster

15-09-2008-- TeamTalk

Manchester United could end up as winners even if their shirt sponsors AIG go bust, according to football finance experts.

AIG, the biggest insurance company in the USA, is facing an uncertain future after their share value fell by 40% on the New York stock exchange.

United are privately confident that their record £56.5million shirt sponsorship deal will be unaffected by the turmoil - they have two years on the four-year deal left to run.

But Simon Chadwick, professor of sports business strategy at Coventry University, believes the club could even benefit if they have to find a new sponsor given that as Premier League and European champions their value is at an all-time high.

Chadwick said: "Shirt sponsorship values appear to be holding their own well in the Premier League and also in Germany.

"It may be an issue outside the Premier League but my view is that if Manchester United do have to find a new sponsor, they would almost certainly pay as much and quite probably more.

"United are currently European champions and Premier League champions, so they could not be in a better position.

"The issue for United would be finding the right sponsor with a global operation as a partner, to give the club global coverage, something AIG does perfectly at the moment."

Chadwick believes West Ham are also well-placed to find a new shirt sponsor who will match their income from XL Holidays, the company that went bust last week just one year into a £7.5million three-year deal with the Hammers.

He said: "There will be some initial cost to West Ham as they have to find a new sponsor but in my view they are likely to find a partner who will pay as much."

redrus

^^ Agree with the article RR, with United's global reputation and appeal, there will be no shortage of takers wanting to put their names on the United shirt. Anyway, at present it's irrelevant, as AIG haven't yet gone down the shitter.

No Return For Giuseppe Rossi

EA Sports

I am still not sure if it was the right thing to sell Giuseppe Rossi. Granted, he wanted first-team football and we now have a brilliant array of attackers. But still: the boy is a natural finisher, a great talent and it would have been great to see him develop into a top striker at Old Trafford.

He developed into one, but at Villarreal, the team that visit Old Trafford on Wednesday night. But they'll be without Rossi who is still struggling with a thigh injury. Nihat Kahveci is also out so the opposition's strikeforce will be far from full strength.

However, as we lost to a team with a strike partnership of Kuyt and Keane we cannot afford to relax...

United can banish Anfield woes with Chelsea win

18:50 September, 15, 2008

Rio Ferdinand can’t wait to face Chelsea Football Club on Sunday afternoon.

Fresh from the disappointing 2-1 defeat at Liverpool on Saturday, the Manchester United defender feels a visit to Stamford Bridge is the ideal way to get over a first league loss at Anfield since 2001.

"It's always nice to play in big games after disappointments - you find out about your team when you've lost a game,” Ferdinand told MUTV on Monday.

"We want to go to Chelsea and give a good account of ourselves, try to take the three points and ruin their unbeaten home record over the past two or three seasons.

"There couldn't be a better game for us than the one coming up."

Story by Paul Meadows for FansFC

redrus

Fresh from the disappointing 2-1 defeat at Liverpool on Saturday, the Manchester United defender feels a visit to Stamford Bridge is the ideal way to get over a first league loss at Anfield since 2001.

"It's always nice to play in big games after disappointments - you find out about your team when you've lost a game," Ferdinand told MUTV on Monday.

really rio? so the reaction to losing to zenit st petersburg was that spineless, clueless performance at anfield on the weekend then?

"It's always nice to play in big games after disappointments - you find out about your team when you've lost a game," Ferdinand told MUTV on Monday.

really rio? so the reaction to losing to zenit st petersburg was that spineless, clueless performance at anfield on the weekend then?

Come on stevie, next to the carling cup, nobody gives a toss about the European Super Cup. Anyways, should you be in a Liverpool forum or something? :o

Come on stevie, next to the carling cup, nobody gives a toss about the European Super Cup. Anyways, should you be in a Liverpool forum or something? :D

Oh let him have his moment in the sunshine................. :o

:D

redrus

Knock-out blow for Manchester United as concussion rules Patrice Evra out of Villarreal match

Sportsmail--9:51 AM on 16th September 2008

Patrice Evra looks set to miss Manchester United's Champions League clash with Villarreal on Wednesday after he suffered concussion against Liverpool.

The left-back was hurt in a clash of heads during the 2-1 defeat at Anfield and was taken to hospital after he fell ill on the coach back to Manchester.

John O'Shea is now set to take Evra's place for the Group E game at Old Trafford.

United met the Spaniards in the same competition three years ago and it is a match that taught Wayne Rooney a big lesson.

Sir Alex Ferguson's side were forced to grind out a 0-0 draw as the England striker was sent off in the 64th minute for sarcastically clapping Kim Morten Nielsen after the referee booked him for an innocuous challenge.

Rooney said: 'It was a reality check for me. It was a ridiculous thing to do. That was a big turning point for me. I have learned from that.'

Man Utd's Rooney: Villarreal dismissal was turning point

16.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United ace Wayne Rooney says the red card he copped the last time he faced Villarreal was a "reality check".

Villarreal brings back bad memories for Rooney, who was sent off for clapping in ref Kim Morten Nielsen’s face when the sides met three years ago.

It is the only competitive red card Roo has got for United.

He said: “It was a reality check for me. It was a ridiculous thing to do. That was a big turning point for me. I have learned from that. I made sure I did.”

redrus

A bit of a look through the stories doing the rounds so far today...................

17/09/2008 13:58

Tevez: Ronaldo Is Like An Extra Man

Manchester United forward Carlos Tevez has hailed the impact that a returning Cristiano Ronaldo will have on the side. The Argentinean suggested that having Ronaldo in the ranks makes United feel like they have a twelfth man...

Cristiano Ronaldo has not pulled on a Manchester United shirt since winning the Champions League with the club in Moscow in May.

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since that fateful night, with the Portuguese forward coming close to leaving Old Trafford during the summer.

The 23-year-old had an ankle operation in the intervening time, after Portugal's run at Euro 2008 came to a halt, and was expected to be out of commission until October at the earliest.

However, Ronaldo is well ahead of schedule in his convalescing, and is expected to make the bench for tonight's Champions League clash with Villarreal at Old Trafford.

United are without Michael Carrick and Paul Scholes from their midfield, while Dimitar Berbatov is struggling for fitness after suffering a knock in the weekend defeat at the hands of Liverpool.

Carlos Tevez has hailed the timely return of Ronaldo, who finished last season with an astonishing 42 goals. The Argentinean striker likened Ronaldo's impact to a twelfth man and claims his return will be a huge boost to United's chances of success.

He told the press: "Cristiano is a massive player for us and it is great to have him on our side. It is like having an extra player when he is there because he is such a danger to our opponents. It will be a big boost to have him back."

The Red Devils are reeling from their weekend Premier League loss to bitter rivals Liverpool, their first loss to the Anfield side in nine league matches.

However, Tevez is confident that Sir Alex Ferguson's side can generate a reaction to the defeat against Villarreal tonight.

He continued: "Whenever we lost a game last season we came back and showed ourselves to be stronger. I am sure we will see a reaction tonight."

Peter [email protected]]

Man Utd's Ronaldo tells Real Madrid: I won't leave England

17.09.08 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo says he laughs at all the transfer speculation that swirled around him in the summer.

Speaking with Don Balon, Ronaldo said: "The speculation about my future is normal. I like it and it amuses me that people around the world are waiting to see what I will do. This is just part of the show.

"The important thing for me is the talk about me is as a proper professional."

Ronaldo also poured cold water on any future move to Real Madrid.

He added: "Money was not the issue as to why I did not go to Madrid. Life is more than money. Now I am happy at United. We sat down and fixed things. I will not leave England now ..."

Lampard not worried by Ronaldo return

by Robin Hackett--Setanta, 17 September 2008

Frank Lampard has warned Manchester United that Chelsea are good enough to beat them on Sunday - with or without Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ronaldo is set to be among the United substitutes against Villarreal in the Champions League on Wednesday night and will then be hoping to start in the crunch clash at Stamford Bridge.

But Lampard believes Chelsea can extend their lead over the reigning champions regardless of whether or not Ronaldo plays.

"I don't know what the situation is with him and I'm not too concerned, really," he told the Evening Standard.

"He's probably the best player in the world having achieved what he did last year - you can't take that away from him. But whether after a few months out they'll put him back in, I don't know.

"If they do, we'll have to deal with that. We're good enough to deal with United at their strongest - we shouldn't want them weak. If they are strong, we still want to beat them."

He added: "We're confident, the players are playing well, the team is playing well, we're playing good football and scoring goals.

"We know they've got quality, but we're at home, we'll have the crowd behind us and we'll be going full pelt."

redrus

Ron returns but United draw blank

Manchester United were held to a 0-0 draw by Villarreal in Champions League Group E - but welcomed Cristiano Ronaldo back into action.

Ronaldo's second-half introduction certainly sent a surge through United - and dispelled any doubts the summer transfer saga with Real Madrid would affect his popularity.

But United could come no closer than a late Jonny Evans diving header that bounced back off a post as their 12-game winning streak on home soil in the competition was brought to an end, the Yellow Submarines almost sinking Sir Alex Ferguson's men altogether when Guillermo Franco hit the woodwork as well.

With record signing Dimitar Berbatov failing to recover from the knee injury he sustained at Liverpool, Michael Carrick ruled out with an ankle problem and Paul Scholes suspended, a legacy of his needless dismissal against Zenit St Petersburg in last month's Super Cup, Ferguson was committed to making changes.

Nevertheless, the presence of Gary Neville - his first competitive start since March 2007 - and Evans in the home defence was a surprise.

Not that the pair were extended much.

Aside from one powerfully struck effort from an acute angle by Robert Pires which Edwin van der Sar saved easily enough anyway, Villarreal created nothing.

In contrast, United threatened at regular intervals but through a combination of bad finishing, poor refereeing and excellent goalkeeping, failed to make the breakthrough by half-time.

The litany of woe began after just five minutes when Owen Hargreaves curled over a corner that Diego Lopez completely misjudged to leave Rio Ferdinand an empty net to steer the ball into.

Unfortunately for United, Ferdinand succeeded only in prodding the ball back in the general direction it had come from.

Then it was Wolfgang Stark's turn to fail. The German official may have been deceived by Park Ji-sung falling outside the area and then opting not to make any significant protest.

But there was no doubt Sebastian Eguren caught the South Korean inside the box and a penalty should have been given.

Park, who did not even make United's bench in Moscow, was a constant menace, as was Carlos Tevez.

The Argentina star may have got no marks for waving an imaginary yellow card in the direction of Eguren when he was hauled back near halfway but he came agonisingly close to scoring as his powerful drive was tipped away by Lopez.

Nani had a couple of long-range efforts and Darren Fletcher saw his header blocked at close range.

However, a goalless first half was not what Ferguson would have wanted as his team began the defence of their trophy and a quest to become the first side to win the competition - as the Champions League - in successive seasons.

The Scot resisted an obvious temptation to bring on Ronaldo at half-time.

But some intricate passing involving Wayne Rooney and Fletcher, plus an up and under from Nani which Lopez collected with some difficulty, failed to convince the United boss a goal was going to come so, to huge cheers, Ronaldo was told to get stripped.

The winger was still waiting to be introduced when Villarreal almost hit their hosts with the ultimate sucker punch.

Finding space just outside the box, Angel Lopez crossed for Franco. The striker flicked the ball goalwards with the back of his heel and watched in agony as it bounced back of the post with a grateful van der Sar gathering the rebound, knowing he would not have been able to do a thing to stop it going in.

With Ronaldo - and Anderson - on the field, United were transformed.

From becoming increasingly sluggish, the Red Devils were suddenly full of life.

Evans headed wide, Lopez punched clear just as Tevez was about to connect with a Patrice Evra cross, then Gonzalo Rodriguez booted off the line as Tevez's bouncing shot was going in after Ronaldo had led a lightening break which also involved Rooney.

Ronaldo eventually managed a header that floated wide before Evans hit the post but it was a familiar tale of disappointment for the hosts in front of goal this season.

Ferguson will need no reminding the last time Villarreal gained a draw at Old Trafford, three years ago, United did not make it out of the group.

It is unlikely to happen again but as Chelsea are lying in wait on Sunday, they need some of those 42 goals Ronaldo scored last season.

I quite enjoyed the game actually. Villareal finished second in La Liga, 10 points ahead of Barca last season and were not shown enough respect by United at times. All in all though we clearly edged and should have won, regardless of at least 2 nailed on penalties....!

Bring on the rent boys....

redrus

Hi All.

Reading some comments earlier in the thread from Man U supporters,i/e Liverpool.. Chelsea,, and Arsenal being afraid when he plays,,John Terry won his appeal against a red card that was wrongfully issued this week, Mr Ferguson has blamed the boss of the referees saying it is favouritism

as Terry can now play against them this Sunday. How long has he been in the game?, sounds like he is really scared to go to Stamford Bridge and go home with nothing even with the crybaby..

phupaman.

Hi All.

Reading some comments earlier in the thread from Man U supporters,i/e Liverpool.. Chelsea,, and Arsenal being afraid when he plays,,John Terry won his appeal against a red card that was wrongfully issued this week, Mr Ferguson has blamed the boss of the referees saying it is favouritism

as Terry can now play against them this Sunday. How long has he been in the game?, sounds like he is really scared to go to Stamford Bridge and go home with nothing even with the crybaby..

phupaman.

phupman, I think you should do a bit of research regarding S.A.F. Anyone growing up in Glasgow in the 1940's and playing against boys from the Gorbals will tell you that it was not for the faint-hearted, so Fergie is hardly likely to be scared by few slipping, sliding, diving, rent boys........ :o

Man U is slowly killing themselves.

Go go go Chelsea!!!! :D

At the risk of receiving an equally intelligent reply, by killing themselves you mean winning the league and champions league?

Death by Success, only way to go mate. :o

Well from what i've seen from the last 2 games..... "winning" i dont think so. They havent been really playing up to standard. Draw with VillaReal u gotta b kidding me. haha

At the risk of receiving an equally intelligent reply, by killing themselves you mean winning the league and champions league?

Well from what i've seen from the last 2 games..... "winning" i dont think so. They havent been really playing up to standard. Draw with VillaReal u gotta b kidding me. haha

Chelsea fan, I wonder why you bother to come on the ManUtd page. Is it that you watched the game last night and are already getting a touch concerned that you might 'slip up' again this weekend in a game you are supposed to win?

If you want some comforting thoughts ok, Chelsea are on form no question. U should be favorites. But count us out at your own peril. Come back and see me in April and May for an update and your Carling Cup!

Chelsea fan, I wonder why you bother to come on the ManUtd page. Is it that you watched the game last night and are already getting a touch concerned that you might 'slip up' again this weekend in a game you are supposed to win?

If you want some comforting thoughts ok, Chelsea are on form no question. U should be favorites. But count us out at your own peril. Come back and see me in April and May for an update and your Carling Cup!

Bah. Im a fan of both. I don't watch all their games and im not addicted to soccer :D

Well Man U will have to buck up if they want the cup bad :D

Bah. Im a fan of both. I don't watch all their games and im not addicted to soccer :D

Well Man U will have to buck up if they want the cup bad :o

claiming to be a fan of both chelsea and man utd should be a banning offence.

Ban me.

I may claim to be a fan of both. I love both clubs so shoot me. If its gonna make u feel any better :D

Edited by cgbartz

Well Man U will have to buck up if they want the cup bad :D

claiming to be a fan of both chelsea and man utd should be a banning offence.

Ban me.

I may claim to be a fan of both. I love both clubs so shoot me. If its gonna make u feel any better :D

That explains the post. Let me go search the Chelsea forum back in May to see if Mr. Pollsitter was as equally devoted around the time JT was tripping over his bottle of Vodka in Moscow.

Convenient comes to mind. Can't go wrong with that. Reminds of the kind of guy who bets on both Chelsea and Man U in the same game. :o Must have his hands for this weekend trying to decide who to support.

I have this picture of this in my mind as he is sitting there watching the match on Sunday,,,,,

"Great tackle JT" followed by "That's a foul ref!"

Ban me.

I may claim to be a fan of both. I love both clubs so shoot me. If its gonna make u feel any better :o

honestly, i'm not trying to be funny, but i don't understand how you can claim to be a fan of two bitter rivals. it makes no sense. rivalry and hatred is an integral part of being a football fan.