Manchester United

redrus

Thanks Stevie - I'll watch it if I'm around when it comes up on recast. Like to see great goalkeeping. That was my position as a kid/younger teenager, but took up reffing when I let in 8 by half time (my Dad swapped the players around between both teams to make a game of it!)

Edited by SantiSuk

26 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Thanks Stevie - I'll watch it if I'm around when it comes up on recast. Like to see great goalkeeping. That was my position as a kid/younger teenager, but took up reffing when I let in 8 by half time (my Dad swapped the players around between both teams to make a game of it!)

you can watch the MOTD highlights here mate assuming you're not in a place where it's blocked by ISPs: http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016/10/02/manchester-united-vs-stoke-city-highlights-full-match-2/

• Like 1

Good first half for utd should have won it then. 2nd half stoke improved but was hard to see them score. Missed opportunity for utd.

Maybe Rednose was right getting rid of Pogba. Looks nice JOGGING around the pitch but not impressed so far. He ain't no Paddy Viera or Roy Keane.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

David Herd, the former Manchester United and Arsenal striker who passed away on Sunday.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/manchester-united-david-herd-obituary-football-legend-former-arsenal-star-george-best-bobby-charlton-a7342546.html

Went to school with his son. David came to watch the occasional school match.

Man Utd Quiz Questions

1--Who netted United's first-ever Premier League goal?

2--How many Manchester United players were in England's Euro 2016 squad?

3--Who was the captain of Manchester United in the inaugural 1992/93 season?

4--Which former Manchester United player had the nickname 'Chicharito' on his shirt? And what's the translation?

5--Eric Cantona scored the first hat-trick in the Premier League; how many hat-tricks did he score for Manchester United in the Premier League in total?

6--Which former favourite managed a Welsh club in 2014?

7--Who made 206 consecutive league appearances between 1977 and 1981?Who comes third in the list of most appearances after Ryan Giggs and Sir Bobby Charlton?

8--Who scored four goals in 13 minutes against Nottingham Forest in the Premier League in 1999?

9--Which manager gave Dennis Law a free transfer in the summer of 1973 (after 11 years at the club)?

10--And where did Law go?

Former referee's chief Keith Hackett has criticised the appointment of Manchester-based Anthony Taylor as the man in the middle for Monday's meeting of Manchester United and Liverpool.

Taylor lives six miles from Old Trafford, which Hackett believes could lead to allegations of partiality.

Taylor has no United ties and supports National League North side Altrincham.

Very surprised by this. Taylor may not support (City or) United, but he is a mancunian - born in Wythenshawe - so I'd be very surprised if he isn't biased against Scousers (our least favourite neighbours).

You guys don't understand the psychology of refereeing and referees (in the UK anyway). If there were any prior feelings for an area or team, favourable bias is the least likely of three outcomes when it comes to partiality in the game itself.

Edited by SantiSuk

17 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

You guys don't understand the psychology of refereeing and referees (in the UK anyway). If there were any prior feelings for an area or team, favourable bias is the least likely of three outcomes when it comes to partiality in the game itself.

no but i understand the psychology of people from manchester and liverpool. and a lot of them simply don't like each other. it doesn't even have to be about what team you support, many scousers don't like mancs and vice versa.

14 minutes ago, StevieH said:

no but i understand the psychology of people from manchester and liverpool. and a lot of them simply don't like each other. it doesn't even have to be about what team you support, many scousers don't like mancs and vice versa.

This is Klopps Liverpool not Rodgers a few crappy decisions are expected whoever refs this game as these games are toxic.  Straight up though man utd will get turned over big time and don't you just know it!!!! YNWA

In my opinion a ref from Greater Manchester should not be refereeing a game of a Greater Manchester club against another club from Lancashire, Merseyside or Greater Manchester. Why? Because they are circa 1974 county reorganised boundaries and most people still consider themselves from Lancashire. Playing Cheshire, Derbyshire or any clubs of that lot from wrong side of Pennines is not a problem for a Greater Manchester ref.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Big test for maureen in my opinion,another poor result and many questions will be being asked :sad:

no it isn't, when you have so many new players who have never played together as a team before it will always take time for them to settle in and learn not to mention the added complexities of a new manager also settling into the job, the full potential of this new team and manager could take as long as a full season before they become 100% effective

Those that think all these players can just be thrown together and play as a effective team in their first few games really need to think again and adjust their expectations

On form,if there is such a thing,Liverpool ,at home are obviously clear favourites.Past results with this derby mean nothing IMO

I have been waiting with great expectation to see Mkhitaryan become part of the team,he is/was a brilliant and last season but it hasnt happened and probably wont tonight.

I dont think Mourinho will be adventerous in his selection.He probably will go for players who he thinks can handle the occasion.The comp is so tight a loss for either club will not be the end of the world.

De Gea

Valencia               Baillly                 Smalling           Blind

Herrara                            Pogba

Mata

Rashford                                     Zlatan                                Martial

29 minutes ago, StevieH said:

how many new players are likely in the starting XI? three?

Maybe ,you only get a settled team when they put a few wins together. At this stage lots of hot and cold players, Pogba ,Lingaard,Martial just for starters

10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Maybe ,you only get a settled team when they put a few wins together. At this stage lots of hot and cold players, Pogba ,Lingaard,Martial just for starters

your man above said 'new'. pogba is new but knows the league and has played for the club before. ibrahimovic is hardly a naive young ingenue. martial and lingard aren't 'new'. so there's bailly, really.

and re: your XI above, no way does fellaini not start.

3 minutes ago, StevieH said:

your man above said 'new'. pogba is new but knows the league and has played for the club before. ibrahimovic is hardly a naive young ingenue. martial and lingard aren't 'new'. so there's bailly, really.

and re: your XI above, no way does fellaini not start.

Zlatan is new to this team I am well aware of his experience. Martial and Lingard are not new obviously but currently they are hot and cold and Martial needs to get his personal life sorted. Pogba had a blinder for France but I may remind you it is only October .Smedly is not my man ,he has his own opinion, we just happen to follow the same team.

Just now, Sparkles said:

Not at all.I dont expect United to win based on the way Liverpool are playing,good luck to them. You rarely get excuses from me ,have a look at yourself maybe

I've looked at myself and I think you are thinking of the wrong guy.

It's just funny to see United fans claiming new players take time to gel etc when nearly every team in the league has new players and some with new managers. Everyone is in the same boat. When SAF was there, there was never this disbelief from United fans. Long may it continue

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Zlatan is new to this team I am well aware of his experience. Martial and Lingard are not new obviously but currently they are hot and cold and Martial needs to get his personal life sorted. Pogba had a blinder for France but I may remind you it is only October .Smedly is not my man ,he has his own opinion, we just happen to follow the same team.

they are all new to each other, the point being they are a new squad playing together, anyone that thinks they will all perform as a working coherent team out of the box is deluded, it takes time and a lot of training and playing together for the synergy to evolve