What Books Are People Reading Now ?

Ron19

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bookman and I had a brief discussion on the recovery of the Tek Sing treasure by Mike Hatcher - after I'd enthused over "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea", by Gary Kinder. Well, Hugh Edwards has written "Treasures of the Deep", a book about the "extraordinary life and times of Captain Mike Hatcher", which is published by Harper Collins (Australia). We can expect more discussion of the ongoing controversy between marine archaeologists and treasure hunters, no doubt. I've not read it yet, but will do so ASAP. He's taken part in the salvage of 80 shipwrecks. I expect there will be references to other interesting characters who operated, (and probably still do), around the waters of S.E.A.

Right now I'm half way through Jonathan Glancy's most excellent book, "Spitfire - The Biography", (ISBN978-1-84354-528-6) which, as you might expect, is the development and history of that aircraft. It's not at all dry, as these histories sometimes tend to be, and if you happen to be interested in aviation history, this is a great read. Quite extrordinary to learn more about the personal disagreements between the upper echelon officers of the RAF - also that the average age of Spitfire pilots during the Battle of Britain was just 19 or 20. The Spitfire was used by 28 different nations (including Thailand), and the last time it was flown in military service was in 1963 when it was pitted against a Lightning jet fighter of the RAF in a mock dog-fight in which it apparently performed very well.

Bookman and I had a brief discussion on the recovery of the Tek Sing treasure by Mike Hatcher - after I'd enthused over "Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea", by Gary Kinder. Well, Hugh Edwards has written "Treasures of the Deep", a book about the "extraordinary life and times of Captain Mike Hatcher", which is published by Harper Collins (Australia). We can expect more discussion of the ongoing controversy between marine archaeologists and treasure hunters, no doubt. I've not read it yet, but will do so ASAP. He's taken part in the salvage of 80 shipwrecks. I expect there will be references to other interesting characters who operated, (and probably still do), around the waters of S.E.A.

Right now I'm half way through Jonathan Glancy's most excellent book, "Spitfire - The Biography", (ISBN978-1-84354-528-6) which, as you might expect, is the development and history of that aircraft. It's not at all dry, as these histories sometimes tend to be, and if you happen to be interested in aviation history, this is a great read. Quite extrordinary to learn more about the personal disagreements between the upper echelon officers of the RAF - also that the average age of Spitfire pilots during the Battle of Britain was just 19 or 20. The Spitfire was used by 28 different nations (including Thailand), and the last time it was flown in military service was in 1963 when it was pitted against a Lightning jet fighter of the RAF in a mock dog-fight in which it apparently performed very well.

I'll keep an eye out for that one.

My impression of Hatcher is that of a treasure hunter, interested in the spoils of the discovery. I'm not sure if that is correct , but he does sound like a fascinating personality. I think the idea of being a treasure hunter lies deep within most men.

I liked Private Dancer, and also The English Passengers (I forget the author); I enjoy the opportunity to read the same story from different perspectives.

For the same reason, I quite enjoyed, in an unpleasant sort of way, Filth, by Irving Welsh....

SC

English Passengers is by Matthew Kneale. He won the Whitbread and was shortlisted for the Booker prize. He hasn't written much since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Passengers

In fiction, currently reading The Butterfly Trap, by Dennis Jon. Really pretty good for a 'bar book,' very similar in tone to a Paul Theroux travel book. http://www.bangkokbo...oduct_id=000029

In non-fiction, reading The Vision of the Anointed, by Thomas Sowell. Brilliant dissection of well-intended policies gone wrong over the past 40 years.

I'm a sucker for the bargirls gone wrong books about Thailand and Cambodia. I notice though that Dennis's book is about a mere 2 week trip through Thailand. It isn't a backpacker gone wild style is it?

I just read the ubiquitous Private Dancer, by Stephen Leather.

I feel dirty.

Mindless repetition, typos... main character is cripplingly stupid ...author uses "brought" when he means to say "bought" - twice.

Typo-wise it's nowhere near as bad as Leather's Bangkok Bob. Repetition-wise it's not as bad as Confessions, which he co-authored with that Olson guy spruiking an e-book a few posts back. In that respect, it's the pick of the litter (litter as in garbage).

Having read the other two books, I knew what I was in for. It's kind of a guilty pleasure to read Leather's Thai based stuff. Som nom na to me.

My take on Private Dancer is that it was boring and predictable. Might have worked if it was the first Thai-themed book I read, but it wasn't...

Was amused to read that Leather used to create various online forum names and recommend his own books to people, chat about them, give them good feedback on reviews etc. Have to give him points for self promotion

Just finished 'Bleak House' by Dickens. OK (damning with faint praise ) but it's not his best.

I'm now reading 'Sharpe's Sword' by Bernard Cornwall. Anything book by him is great, all the Sharpe series, the Arthurian ones, the viking ones, Stonehenge, and so on.

If not him then Sir Terry Pratchett, anything at all by him except 'Nation' which I didn't enjoy.

I've acculmulated 2,000 e-books for when I get my hands on a Kindle Paperwhite.

Just finished 'Bleak House' by Dickens. OK (damning with faint praise ) but it's not his best.

I'm now reading 'Sharpe's Sword' by Bernard Cornwall. Anything book by him is great, all the Sharpe series, the Arthurian ones, the viking ones, Stonehenge, and so on.

If not him then Sir Terry Pratchett, anything at all by him except 'Nation' which I didn't enjoy.

I've acculmulated 2,000 e-books for when I get my hands on a Kindle Paperwhite.

Lungbin, I just re-checked the specs for both versions of the Kindle Paperwhite on Amazon UK. Looks like it has a capacity for only 1,100 books, which means you're going to be 900 over the limit.

Can I have them?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried the new Kindle Paperwhite, as I'm still trying to make an informed decision.

I've just finished "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga, ISBN 978-1-84887-042-0. This was winner of the Man Booker Prize 2008. Because of the lurid cover I was not enthusiastic - until I started reading it. Now I'm re-reading at least the first few chapters again and maybe all of it. It's an astonishing story of the rise in the fortunes of an Indian boy and brings into sharp focus the corruption in the world's largest democracy. I could not help but see parallels between the Indian and the Thai way of keeping the lower orders in their place.

The back cover blurb says "meet Balram Halwai, the 'white tiger': servant, philosopher, entrepreneur, murderer......"

It's a well worth while read.

presently with Never let me go by that japanese fellow, strange but engaging...and before that Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Bourne Identity...mundane but ye gots to look at these things to see what all the fuss is about...lackluster prose in most cases but a good story...but 3 headed dogs, pre-emptive murder and amnesiac assasins?...I mean really...I gots War and Peace on the kindle but I'm waitin' before making the leap...

I, too, have a Kindle. And I read War and Peace last year -- in hard cover. I love my Kindle, but part of the mystique of War and Peace is its sheer heft. Ya gotta read that one in hard cover.

I read it in paperback. Am I a bad person?

presently with Never let me go by that japanese fellow, strange but engaging...and before that Minority Report, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and The Bourne Identity...mundane but ye gots to look at these things to see what all the fuss is about...lackluster prose in most cases but a good story...but 3 headed dogs, pre-emptive murder and amnesiac assasins?...I mean really...I gots War and Peace on the kindle but I'm waitin' before making the leap...

I, too, have a Kindle. And I read War and Peace last year -- in hard cover. I love my Kindle, but part of the mystique of War and Peace is its sheer heft. Ya gotta read that one in hard cover.

I read it in paperback. Am I a bad person?

A true rebel laugh.png

I am currently reading

Slithering South

By Steve Van Beek

Its quite a tome of a book and I understand took twelve years to write. It concerns Steve's adventure in having a boat built and then taking it as far as possible to the beginning of the Ping River to paddle down to the sea. His encounters with the various hill tribes along the way and some of the characters that he met.

It is based upon his trip in the 70's and no doubt much has changed. But it is an interesting insight into the Thailand that he found.

If you enjoy non-fiction books about Thailand and boats - I think that you will enjoy this book.

I am currently reading

Slithering South

By Steve Van Beek

Its quite a tome of a book and I understand took twelve years to write. It concerns Steve's adventure in having a boat built and then taking it as far as possible to the beginning of the Ping River to paddle down to the sea. His encounters with the various hill tribes along the way and some of the characters that he met.

It is based upon his trip in the 70's and no doubt much has changed. But it is an interesting insight into the Thailand that he found.

If you enjoy non-fiction books about Thailand and boats - I think that you will enjoy this book.

That should of course read:

It is based upon his trip in the mid-80's and no doubt much has changed. But it is an interesting insight into the Thailand that he found.

• 1 month later...

I've read some real clunkers over the last couple of weeks - a reflection, I suppose, of what books become available here in up-country land. One of them was called "Single white e@mail", which was, for me, simply a really poor piece of work reflecting, (as if we hadn't heard it enough), the differences between men and women. There were a couple more - but my spirits rose when I copped a copy of Frederick Forsyth's 2010 book, about the cocaine wars, Unfortunately, just now, the title eludes me, as I've passed it on. A good read with an interesting take on the possibilities of dealing with the cocaine wars.

So, lacking further new reading, I resorted to the bookshelf and picked out a book that and old chum gave me for Christmas 2 years ago, which I'm now re-reading. It is "Kiss Me, Chudleigh", by William Cook, ISBN 978-1-444-71149-3. It's some of the collected works of Auberon Waugh (sadly no longer with us). This is quite the funniest, thought provoking book I've read in years, taking swipes at just about all the established institutes of the UK, but specifically politicians, do-gooders, the ruling class, the subservient class, literary critics and so on. If you're a Brit, you'd appreciate that Tony Benn felt moved to describe him as being "a most unpleasant man". Waugh wrote, at various stages of his life, for The Catholic Herald, The Spectator, The Daily Mirror, Daily Telegraph, Private Eye, New Statesman, Literary Review, Evening Standard, Tatler and Oldie.

If you enjoy the English language at its best - equally cruel, funny, incisive, class-ridden and totally outrageous, this is a "must read".

An excerpt on politicians:- "Until the public accepts that the urge to power is a personality disorder in its own right, like the urge to sexual congress with children or the taste for rubber underwear, there will always be the danger of circumstances arising which persuade people to start listening to politicians and taking them seriously".

On sexual equality:- " No man is so boring, unpleasant or unattractive that he cannot find an equally boring, unpleasant or unattractive woman to be his life's companion if he sets his mind to it".

On dieting:- "Dieting destroys brain cells and permanently impairs mental performance. It distorts moral perceptions and tends towards unsafe driving, removing all libido while making the dieter more prone to HIV and its concomitant scourge, AIDS. It makes those who fall victim stupid, mad, ugly and boring. Death is seldom long delayed".

Enjoy!

Re-reading most of Bill Bryson's works.... currently on 'The Life and times of the Thunderbolt Kid'

which takes me right back to my childhood.

Also -

'A Box of Alan Bennett'

- The Clothes They Stood Up In

- The Lady In A Van

- Father Father Burning Bright

Not everyone's 'cup of tea... but an interesting insight into post-WW2 U.K.

Just finished Jeremy Clarkson's The World According to Clarkson Vols. 3 and 4. As someone who is very out of touch with the UK - I have not lived there in nearly 30 years - and have only visited twice in the period (the last time 15 years ago), I found them both very amusing and frightening. I know he is an inveterate liar, exaggerator, generalizer and subject to flights of whimsy, but even if it is not quite half as bad as he makes out, it seems that the UK has gone or is going to the extremes of PC, Big Brother (1984 not the reality series) and some form of third party involvement in all aspects of your life.

After those light reads, I decided to takle something a bit more weigthy and have started to read Paul Theroux's Ghost Train to the Eastern Star. The last paragraph of page three (not the footnote) really got me thinking and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Certainly resonates with some contemplating returning to the UK for a short visit to see his old haunts after such a long absence.

Just finished Jeremy Clarkson's The World According to Clarkson Vols. 3 and 4. As someone who is very out of touch with the UK - I have not lived there in nearly 30 years - and have only visited twice in the period (the last time 15 years ago), I found them both very amusing and frightening. I know he is an inveterate liar, exaggerator, generalizer and subject to flights of whimsy, but even if it is not quite half as bad as he makes out, it seems that the UK has gone or is going to the extremes of PC, Big Brother (1984 not the reality series) and some form of third party involvement in all aspects of your life.

After those light reads, I decided to takle something a bit more weigthy and have started to read Paul Theroux's Ghost Train to the Eastern Star. The last paragraph of page three (not the footnote) really got me thinking and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. Certainly resonates with some contemplating returning to the UK for a short visit to see his old haunts after such a long absence.

Jeremy Clarkson's work went to volumes 3 & 4? Great god in heaven, will the man never stop yacking? Not, it appears, as long as there's a cash cow to be milked. I've also been out of the UK for a few years, (since 1972, in fact), and so missed his rise to fame and fortune. Other than u-tube clips, I must be one of the few Brits never to have seen an episode of "Top Gear". The World According to Clarkson that I recently read, and which I found more amusing and far less irritating than I'd anticipated was published in 2004, and does not show a volume number, so perhaps it was his first go. Whatever, it was comprised of his columns written for the Sunday Times and he did poke a good few sticks in the eye of the establishment, and for that alone, he deserves some credit.

If the accounts of friends returning here from the UK are anything to go by, ripping into the current system and way of life would be, (unless you're very rich), one of the few pleasures left to be had by your average Brit. Guinness would appear to be out of the question now - I heard it is now around three pounds fifty for a pint. My pension of just over one hundred pounds a week would not go far at that rate.

I have not yet found a copy of Paul Theroux's book, and since his travel stuff is some of my favourite reading, I look forward to that. I think I may have heard an abridged version of it on BBC radio, where it was serialised - is that possible? He's another writer whom I hold in high esteem, though I prefer his travel writing more than his novels, though I have both novels and travels on my shelf.

Jeremy Clarkson's work went to volumes 3 & 4? Great god in heaven, will the man never stop yacking? Not, it appears, as long as there's a cash cow to be milked. I've also been out of the UK for a few years, (since 1972, in fact), and so missed his rise to fame and fortune. Other than u-tube clips, I must be one of the few Brits never to have seen an episode of "Top Gear". The World According to Clarkson that I recently read, and which I found more amusing and far less irritating than I'd anticipated was published in 2004, and does not show a volume number, so perhaps it was his first go. Whatever, it was comprised of his columns written for the Sunday Times and he did poke a good few sticks in the eye of the establishment, and for that alone, he deserves some credit.

If the accounts of friends returning here from the UK are anything to go by, ripping into the current system and way of life would be, (unless you're very rich), one of the few pleasures left to be had by your average Brit. Guinness would appear to be out of the question now - I heard it is now around three pounds fifty for a pint. My pension of just over one hundred pounds a week would not go far at that rate.

I have not yet found a copy of Paul Theroux's book, and since his travel stuff is some of my favourite reading, I look forward to that. I think I may have heard an abridged version of it on BBC radio, where it was serialised - is that possible? He's another writer whom I hold in high esteem, though I prefer his travel writing more than his novels, though I have both novels and travels on my shelf.

I spoke to my father only last week and he mentioned that he dislikes Clarkson and the Top Gear program and refuses to watch it. He did not know that Clarkson also wrote a column for the Guardian, which was turned into this series of books. I just love his irreverence (Clarkson's not my father's) towards just about everything. I am sure he is a very polarizing character, and one either loves or hates him. Personally, when I have seen him on Top Gear he comes over as a bit of a drip, but I forgive him because of his hilarious writing.

The cover of the first of His World According to Clarkson series has a picture of him standing with his hands out as if in askance and a picture of a fox's head. There is no number but it is definitely his first. I would like to get a copy of his second which I missed.

There is a sticker on the front of my copy of Paul Theroux's book and it does indeed say "As read on RADIO FOUR" (why it is capitalized, I am not sure). I picked up my copy from Asia Books, Silom Complex Branch, a few weeks ago.

I have ended up with literally 1000's of books for my kindle given to me by a friend. I noticed a few of Clarkson's books on there. I will give them a go.

Anyway some that I have finished recently:

Helmet for my Pillow - WW2 account from former USMC from Paris Island to South Pacific. Good read.

Ron Jeremy (famous pornstar) 'Hardest job in showbiz ' - Very funny.

Hunger Games trilogy - Very easy going and enjoyable but I think more suited for late teens.

A different world - a different time.... but! ....

• After the conclusion of conducting some teachers training course in the south, I retired to the seaside town of Hua Hin, on the west coast of the Gulf of Thailand, to lick my wounds.

I had taken no reading material with me other than the technical manuals but found an old copy of 'Spy Hook' from the Bernard Sampson trilogies, at Hotel Reception reception, by Len Deighton.

Not sure if you are familiar with his writings but he was an inspiration for me as a teenager. Like many of us I enjoyed Ian Fleming's books but somehow the unnamed anti-hero (later to become Harry Palmer) in 'The Ipcress File', and later novels, rang home.
    Deighton is quite a multi-skilled character and apart from being an excellent fiction writer - is an accomplished military historian, an artist and a great cook. In fact his book - 'The Action Cook Book', for men - based upon his series in 'The Observer'' and Ou Est Le garlic, inspired me to try my hand at culinary skills.
    Gladiator

[*]

-PAXP-deijE.gif9:22a

been into Thomas Hardy recently, Far from the madding crowd and The return of the native...he is very atmospheric and you can almost smell and hear the heath and the town in his descriptions...and they are his alone; almost like a realist Tolkien...

before that Balzac's Pere goirot and Flaubert's A sentimental education, both realist fiction and you could see where Flaubert was headed when he wrote Madame Bovary...

to someone who recently lost my affection I swore at her: 'you are deluded! and hopelessly irresponsible! you are Emma Bovary!' and then she sez disinterestedly: 'is that the best that you can do tuts?'

got the works of Guy de Maupassant coming up next...should be interesting as Flaubert was his mentor...

check out gutenberg.com...they got loads of free stuff that you know that you shoulda read when you were younger...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

A different world - a different time.... but! ....

• After the conclusion of conducting some teachers training course in the south, I retired to the seaside town of Hua Hin, on the west coast of the Gulf of Thailand, to lick my wounds.

I had taken no reading material with me other than the technical manuals but found an old copy of 'Spy Hook' from the Bernard Sampson trilogies, at Hotel Reception reception, by Len Deighton.

Not sure if you are familiar with his writings but he was an inspiration for me as a teenager. Like many of us I enjoyed Ian Fleming's books but somehow the unnamed anti-hero (later to become Harry Palmer) in 'The Ipcress File', and later novels, rang home.
    Deighton is quite a multi-skilled character and apart from being an excellent fiction writer - is an accomplished military historian, an artist and a great cook. In fact his book - 'The Action Cook Book', for men - based upon his series in 'The Observer'' and Ou Est Le garlic, inspired me to try my hand at culinary skills.
    Gladiator

[*]

-PAXP-deijE.gif9:22a

Deighton's gorgeous non-fiction analysis of the German invasion of France -- "Blitzkrieg"-- still sticks in the mind even though i read it when i was about 11 years old....

I still remember how UNmechanized Hitler's forces were ... with all the horses....

post-60541-13551118180065_thumb.jpg

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Thaivisa Connect App