Post Office Stealing Packages?

Tarric

My apologies if someone has posted something like this before. I did a brief search but nothing came up.

My brother is currently living in Bangkok and has been sending back some gifts for friends back in Australia. He sends them all via EMS through the Thai postal service. He has sent a total of 8 different packages over two seperate trips to two different post offices in Central Bangkok. I have tried to use the tracking numbers on the Thai Post website but it comes up with invalid number. I then proceded to check the same numbers on the Australia post website, they come up but it doesnt come up with any movement or location just the number itself. None of the packages have arrived and it has been 3 weeks since he sent the first ones.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them or does anyone have any idea whats going on?

My brother is a big Aussie guy, so I have the theory that maybe they think they are ripping off some tourist who they will never see again perhaps.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a package go missing in Thailand only the once. When I complained at the local office the postmaster there said there are alot of thefts in Bangkok.

Suggest he complains at the office he sent them from and if they have the tracking number maybe then they can see where the 'holdup' is.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

it is highly unusual for so many ems packages to go missing, and just as unlikely for somebody at the post office to target all of your brother's packages, especially as he used two different post offices. What are the contents of the package? anything illegal can be seized by either Thai or OZ authorities. Also, anything above AUS$1000 will incur import taxes, and packages will not be released until they are paid.

Hello Tarric -

As written, your post makes no sense to me. You wrote "...to two different post offices in Central Bangkok". Did you mean "...from two different...."?

One of my businesses here in Bangkok is a trading business, and I have made some 700 EMS shipments to more than 60 countries since 2005, and i have NEVER had a EMS package vanish - although I have had a couple of packages to India be returned to me after many months.

I have also never had the Thai EMS tracking site at http://track.thailandpost.co.th/trackinternet/Default.aspx?lang=en fail to display information about the shipment. Make sure that you enter the "EE" prefix, and the "TH" suffix, as well as the nine digit number. If the prefix was anything other than "EE", then the shipment was not by EMS.

EMS shipments to Australia generally reach destination in three to six days. Registered Small Packet Airmail typically takes 14-20 days.

From my business, I know that we can contact the Thai Post Office and obtain the exact flight number, date and time of departure of the aircraft o which a package departed Thailand.

If the shipments contained things like unlicensed sports jerseys, anabolic steroids, Krating Daeng energy drink, or similar items that are subject to confiscation, then you have a separate problem, and you are unlikely to ever see the package again.

If you want to send me the EMS tracking numbers by PM, I will be happy to investigate for you.

Cheers,

SS

Indo-Siam

• Like 2

Hello Tarric -

As written, your post makes no sense to me. You wrote "...to two different post offices in Central Bangkok". Did you mean "...from two different...."?

One of my businesses here in Bangkok is a trading business, and I have made some 700 EMS shipments to more than 60 countries since 2005, and i have NEVER had a EMS package vanish - although I have had a couple of packages to India be returned to me after many months.

I have also never had the Thai EMS tracking site at http://track.thailan...x?lang=en fail to display information about the shipment. Make sure that you enter the "EE" prefix, and the "TH" suffix, as well as the nine digit number. If the prefix was anything other than "EE", then the shipment was not by EMS.

EMS shipments to Australia generally reach destination in three to six days. Registered Small Packet Airmail typically takes 14-20 days.

From my business, I know that we can contact the Thai Post Office and obtain the exact flight number, date and time of departure of the aircraft o which a package departed Thailand.

If the shipments contained things like unlicensed sports jerseys, anabolic steroids, Krating Daeng energy drink, or similar items that are subject to confiscation, then you have a separate problem, and you are unlikely to ever see the package again.

If you want to send me the EMS tracking numbers by PM, I will be happy to investigate for you.

Cheers,

SS

Indo-Siam

Yeah I meant from two different, sorry about the typo.

Its the usual stuff, some Billabond and Quiksilver shirts and shorts etc from MBK (Edit: and a set of keys my brother took with him to Bangkok by accident). The prefix of the tracking numbers is ea not ee but the suffix is th. Would you know by any chance what the ea prefix means?

Edit: Have you ever heard of a package not showing up on the system at all and the Thai post tracking website saying "Keys input invalid". Also the keys were in a seperate package I have no idea why they would go missing.

Edited by Tarric

if he bought them at the MBK, they are illegal copies, so they have probably been seized. If you want to send such items, use regular Airmail and don't put your return address on the back.

Hello Tarric -

I have also never had the Thai EMS tracking site at http://track.thailan...x?lang=en fail to display information about the shipment. Make sure that you enter the "EE" prefix, and the "TH" suffix, as well as the nine digit number. If the prefix was anything other than "EE", then the shipment was not by EMS.

Cheers,

SS

Indo-Siam

Yeah I meant from two different, sorry about the typo.

Its the usual stuff, some Billabond and Quiksilver shirts and shorts etc from MBK (Edit: and a set of keys my brother took with him to Bangkok by accident). The prefix of the tracking numbers is ea not ee but the suffix is th. Would you know by any chance what the ea prefix means?

if he bought them at the MBK, they are illegal copies, so they have probably been seized. If you want to send such items, use regular Airmail and don't put your return address on the back.

Thanks for the tip. However shouldnt they of at least showed up on the system as being sent to the aiport or something instead of not showing up at all? Also the keys still went missing despite being posted completely by themselves.

EA is registered mail - which may take a month or more - mainly due to the low priority for Customs processing.

Registered mail also sometimes fails to show up on the tracking sites. I have had a few registered packages disappear en route to destination

I suggest that the sender switch to EMS post - which always gets through, and is always capable of being tracked - but it does cost about five times more than simple registered mail.

The shirts were almost assuredly unlicensed, so if the package was more than a kilogram or two, Customs will probably seize the goods - if they choose to inspect the packages.

Cheers!

SS

Edited by StoneSoup

EA is registered mail - which may take a month or more - mainly due to the low priority for Customs processing.

Registered mail also sometimes fails to show up on the tracking sites. I have had a few registered packages disappear en route to destination

I suggest that the sender switch to EMS post - which always gets through, and is always capable of being tracked - but it does cost about five times more than simple registered mail.

The shirts were almost assuredly unlicensed, so if the package was more than a kilogram or two, Customs will probably seize the goods - if they choose to inspect the packages.

Cheers!

SS

Thanks for the info Stone Soup. Its not the first time my brother has been ripped off like this in Thailand. He was told it was EMS and paid accordingly he forked out the best part of 2000bht for the last 4 packages he sent. I think my mother who speaks fluent Thai should go with him next time to make sure he doesnt get ripped off again.

Once again thanks for the info I appreciate it smile.png

Edit: It makes sense that he hasnt got this keys yet then they are probably still sitting at Thai customs.

Edited by Tarric

Thanks for the tip. However shouldnt they of at least showed up on the system as being sent to the aiport or something instead of not showing up at all? Also the keys still went missing despite being posted completely by themselves.

If they are not showing on the system, the packages are probably seized at the sorting office in Thailand and taken off the system. It is lucky for your brother that they have been stopped here: if they were seized in Australia, he most probably would receive a knock on his door by the OZ authorities, due to the large number of packages he sent with illegal goods inside.

I just went through the Australia post website all packages show up as Registered mail not EMS. They will likely appear on the Australia post radar once they land in Australia. As Stone Soup said the tracking numbers dont always work for registered mail.

It turns out they charged him the EMS price and sent them registed mail, they likely pocketed the difference.

Thanks again for all the replies guys, at least the mystery has been solved :)

Seized by whom? Thai customs or Australian customs?

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

My experience about sending valuable goods from overseas to Thailand,even as recently as yesterday.

When send by EMS the goods are trackable on the overseas and Thai post websites and will be delivered.

When sending registered mail the goods are only trackable untill they leave the country of origin,and in many cases not reach their destination.Has happened to me on several occassions.

Only 10 days ago some goods were sent to me by Royal air mail signed for,and the Royal mail site inicated that the goods had left the country on 30 May.

So finally yesterday, 7 June ,I went to the local post office to claim my package but I was announced that there was no shippment received.Only after making my " point " a bit more clear to them it was found right next to the service counter.

Its not the first time my brother has been ripped off like this in Thailand. He was told it was EMS and paid accordingly he forked out the best part of 2000bht for the last 4 packages he sent. I think my mother who speaks fluent Thai should go with him next time to make sure he doesnt get ripped off again.

Hi Tarric

How do you arrive at the conclusion that your brother was "ripped off" -- it seems he paid for ---- and received a receipt (no?) for standard registered mail. Who ripped him off?? A mistake was made by ........... certainly not by the 2 different P.O. clerks.

EMS international is expensive (within Thailand it is not!) -- a couple of weeks past I sent a single envelope (with 3 sheets of paper within) to Australia via EMS -- cost -- 502 Bt.It took 6 days to arrive. Your brothers 4 packages for 2000 Bt. does not seem like an international EMS cost to me.

At the same time I sent a package EMS to Bkk -- cost 47 Bt. --- delivered next day.

"ripped off" -- unlikely. "stuffed up" ------ probable.

Its not the first time my brother has been ripped off like this in Thailand. He was told it was EMS and paid accordingly he forked out the best part of 2000bht for the last 4 packages he sent. I think my mother who speaks fluent Thai should go with him next time to make sure he doesnt get ripped off again.

Hi Tarric

How do you arrive at the conclusion that your brother was "ripped off" -- it seems he paid for ---- and received a receipt (no?) for standard registered mail. Who ripped him off?? A mistake was made by ........... certainly not by the 2 different P.O. clerks.

EMS international is expensive (within Thailand it is not!) -- a couple of weeks past I sent a single envelope (with 3 sheets of paper within) to Australia via EMS -- cost -- 502 Bt.It took 6 days to arrive. Your brothers 4 packages for 2000 Bt. does not seem like an international EMS cost to me.

At the same time I sent a package EMS to Bkk -- cost 47 Bt. --- delivered next day.

Thats probably more likely the case, maybe an issue with the language barrier, my brother speaks literally no Thai. Also thanks for the link Stone Soup.

Edit: My brother gets ripped off in Thailand quite a lot, so that is likely clouding my view of the issue. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone up to a vendor or into a shop without him and got what he wanted for half the price.

Edited by Tarric

even if the packages are sent by registered Airmail, it is highly unusual for all 8 packages to take 3 weeks or more: most packages arrive in about 1 week to Australia. some packages can get delayed and take 3 or 4 weeks, but for all 8 to get delayed is very odd.

Hi Tarric

Thats probably more likely the case, maybe an issue with the language barrier, my brother speaks literally no Thai. Also thanks for the link Stone Soup.

Edit: My brother gets ripped off in Thailand quite a lot, so that is likely clouding my view of the issue. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone up to a vendor or into a shop without him and got what he wanted for half the price.

Is your brother going to these Post Offices personally or, as is common with farangs who 'know what they are doing', is he giving the packages to some third party with instructions to EMS them but THEY are using registered post and pocketing the difference?

even if the packages are sent by registered Airmail, it is highly unusual for all 8 packages to take 3 weeks or more: most packages arrive in about 1 week to Australia. some packages can get delayed and take 3 or 4 weeks, but for all 8 to get delayed is very odd.

Indeed it is odd. The shirts might of been taken by customs as you said or all 4 may of been delayed in the same batch. The other 4 packages he sent earlier this week so they arent on the MIA list yet.

Is your brother going to these Post Offices personally or, as is common with farangs who 'know what they are doing', is he giving the packages to some third party with instructions to EMS them but THEY are using registered post and pocketing the difference?

I am pretty sure he went in there by himself, although the first time he went in and sent the first 4 packages it was a "post office" near Sukhumvit Soi 15 and I have heard online that packages dissappear from that particular post office on a regular basis because of its popularity with tourists staying in nearby hotels and they wont be back to make a complaint if their packages go missing.

My registered mail to UK usually takes less than a week, at most 2 weeks.

I didn't know that registered mail was EVER trackable except by the post office themselves. I've had 1 item go missing and was told at the post office that it is not trackable and after 2 days recieved a call from them telling me I could go to collect it. I posted it in Bangkok, reported it missing in Ban Chang and picked it up in Naklua, the local post office for the return address.

OP, are you sure your brother is using a real Thailand Post post office and not a postal agent?

Edited by PattayaParent

I have sent a couple of packages via EMS, the postal agent gave me an EMS form to fill out, which from memory clearly has EMS in big letters stamped across the top. They then attach the completed form to the package in front of me, I then received a receipt with the tracking number, it's not rocket science.

Edited by giddyup

...Only 10 days ago some goods were sent to me by Royal air mail signed for,and the Royal mail site inicated that the goods had left the country on 30 May.

So finally yesterday, 7 June ,I went to the local post office to claim my package but I was announced that there was no shippment received.Only after making my " point " a bit more clear to them it was found right next to the service counter.

At which post office did this happen?

...Only 10 days ago some goods were sent to me by Royal air mail signed for,and the Royal mail site inicated that the goods had left the country on 30 May.

At which post office did this happen?

Banglamung, i have complained several times to the postmaster already, but I guess going to the wailing wall would yield a better result.

When i asked this time why the goods are not delivered or a message left in the box,they started laughing and pointed at the postman with words you can ask him.

I haven't wasted time asking him.

all my tracking works fine ,even the cheap registered post

i sent a 20,000 thb phone to the uk a few days ago and it left suavarnapuum airport 48 hrs after i posted it

cost 320 thb to send it by registered airmail

EMS,DHL and FEDEX are also flawless but they would want to be for the prices they charge