Anyone Have The New Sym Evo? A Review Please?

phl

If would start a forum thread about stuff some Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or etc… dealers forget (or do wrong) when they handover the scooter/motorcycle to the customers we probably would need hours on a daily base to read them all…

Also on most combustion engines riding without cooling-liquid in the cooling system would be very destructive, but not forget that the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM has ceramic cylinder coating which is probably why the engine did not overheated. Still it’s lucky that the new owner noticed the missing cooling-liquid in time…

I don't disagree regarding the dealers, for some reason they seems to have little or no education at all and are not following the 4000km service checks to be done but basically only change the oil. When my Honda car goes to the dealer for 10.000 km service/check I know they really check the car, once they phoned me during a service and told me that it was necessary to change the rear disk pads.

I fell very sorry for sgunn65, sending him on his way on a brand new +200k bath scooter without cooling liquid in the system, water pump damage?? Or maybe something else is damaged that will not show up now but later? How do you know the engine did not overheat? If there is a hot water warning on the bike it would not have gone off as it wasn't submerged in water but air and thus can't register any overheating.

This is enough to put me off buying a Sym scooter despite its nice looks and good performance. I doubt that even the chief mechanic (if they have one) bother reading the service manual.

At least with the Thai made scooters they service so many of them that one must assume they know those models fairly well.

I guess the thai made scooters leave the factory with coolant in the engine. This is the only reason why it is unlikely that the same thing happens with them. Why the hell wasn't coolant in the bike? Who has assembled the bike? I don't think it is normal that the dealer has to fill the coolant in it, or am i wrong? But sure the dealer should check such things when receiving the bike. Sadly there are many shops who are more interested in selling bikes than in offering a good service.

Edited by wantan

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If would start a forum thread about stuff some Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or etc… dealers forget (or do wrong) when they handover the scooter/motorcycle to the customers we probably would need hours on a daily base to read them all…

Also on most combustion engines riding without cooling-liquid in the cooling system would be very destructive, but not forget that the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM has ceramic cylinder coating which is probably why the engine did not overheated. Still it’s lucky that the new owner noticed the missing cooling-liquid in time…

I don't disagree regarding the dealers, for some reason they seems to have little or no education at all and are not following the 4000km service checks to be done but basically only change the oil. When my Honda car goes to the dealer for 10.000 km service/check I know they really check the car, once they phoned me during a service and told me that it was necessary to change the rear disk pads.

I fell very sorry for sgunn65, sending him on his way on a brand new +200k bath scooter without cooling liquid in the system, water pump damage?? Or maybe something else is damaged that will not show up now but later? How do you know the engine did not overheat? If there is a hot water warning on the bike it would not have gone off as it wasn't submerged in water but air and thus can't register any overheating.

This is enough to put me off buying a Sym scooter despite its nice looks and good performance. I doubt that even the chief mechanic (if they have one) bother reading the service manual.

At least with the Thai made scooters they service so many of them that one must assume they know those models fairly well.

I guess the thai made scooters leave the factory with coolant in the engine. This is the only reason why it is unlikely that the same thing happens with them. Why the hell wasn't coolant in the bike? Who has assembled the bike? I don't think it is normal that the dealer has to fill the coolant in it, or am i wrong? But sure the dealer should check such things when receiving the bike. Sadly there are many shops who are more interested in selling bikes than in offering a good service.

it may be illegal to ship a vehicle with liquids inside

certaintly fuel and engine oil must be drained /empty

possibly coolant and brake fluids as well,i thought the dealers

had the job of doing this stuff last minute

I think the reason is that this is the first bike Mityon have stocked that is water cooled. However, after having to do their job for them and them losing face in front of their boss I suspect they won't do it again. Well I hope not but this is Thailand!!

I think the reason is that this is the first bike Mityon have stocked that is water cooled. However, after having to do their job for them and them losing face in front of their boss I suspect they won't do it again. Well I hope not but this is Thailand!!

"Dealers" really dont have clue sometimes when it comes to setting up a new bike ,or god forbid diagnosing a fault

this goes double if its a large ,rare or expensive model

even the scooter shops constantly make mistakes ,forget to tighten things and often ignore the service manual and simply change the oil (of course ,not change the filter unless you make them do it ) and neglect everything else important that should be checked every service

You bought the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM at Mityon in Pattaya, which is to my knowledge not a small motorcycle shop. And they should know that the Sym GTS400i comes without cooling liquid, they had a dealer training... (but probably the person who attended the training isn't part of the mechanic team).

Why the Sym GTS 400i Maxsym comes without cooling liquid? The Sym scooters come by sea container load to Thailand, and to load the container to its maximum capacity manufacturers not always ship motorcycles in a horizontal way.

Actually the Sym GTS 400i Maxsym is one of the cheapest maxi-scooters you can buy in Thailand, the competition is Yamaha Tmax (499cc) for 515,000 and probably the Honda Integra (670cc) for 451,000 THB. So I would not all it expensive...

For service, the good part is that Sym has the service manual for the scooters they sell in Thailand translated in Thai language, and sooner or later mechanics at its dealers will read it...

You bought the Sym GTS 400i MAXSYM at Mityon in Pattaya, which is to my knowledge not a small motorcycle shop. And they should know that the Sym GTS400i comes without cooling liquid, they had a dealer training... (but probably the person who attended the training isn't part of the mechanic team).

Why the Sym GTS 400i Maxsym comes without cooling liquid? The Sym scooters come by sea container load to Thailand, and to load the container to its maximum capacity manufacturers not always ship motorcycles in a horizontal way.

Actually the Sym GTS 400i Maxsym is one of the cheapest maxi-scooters you can buy in Thailand, the competition is Yamaha Tmax (499cc) for 515,000 and probably the Honda Integra (670cc) for 451,000 THB. So I would not all it expensive...

For service, the good part is that Sym has the service manual for the scooters they sell in Thailand translated in Thai language, and sooner or later mechanics at its dealers will read it...

Richard. Is the manual in the style of a cartoon book. If yes then they MAY look at it. If not then not much chance of a Mechanic READING it. Thais dont read :D:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Sorry, but if this is true than SYM makes a big mistake in my opinion. If there is no coolant in the bike when it comes to Thailand, than SYM (or the import company) should take coolant in it at their headquarters before giving the bike to the dealer. Or they should at least put a big warning sign on the bike "WARNING: Please fill coolant in before starting the engine!". There should be some kind of security measure that garantees such things. E.g. an automatic warning sound/lamp when the engine is started without coolant.

Saving money is OK, but please make sure that the customer gets a secure and proper checked bike. This is Thailand. If you leave such things up to the dealer than i guess many SYM scooters will go on their way without coolant.

So my conclusion: Take the time to check your new bike completely before starting the enginge (oil, coolant, brake fluids, ...). Sounds silly and they will sure laugh at you. But it seems necessary.

Sorry, but if this is true than SYM makes a big mistake in my opinion. If there is no coolant in the bike when it comes to Thailand, than SYM (or the import company) should take coolant in it at their headquarters before giving the bike to the dealer. Or they should at least put a big warning sign on the bike "WARNING: Please fill coolant in before starting the engine!". There should be some kind of security measure that garantees such things. E.g. an automatic warning sound/lamp when the engine is started without coolant.

Saving money is OK, but please make sure that the customer gets a secure and proper checked bike. This is Thailand. If you leave such things up to the dealer than i guess many SYM scooters will go on their way without coolant.

So my conclusion: Take the time to check your new bike completely before starting the enginge (oil, coolant, brake fluids, ...). Sounds silly and they will sure laugh at you. But it seems necessary.

Perhaps SYM does not realize that dealers in Thailand need" motorcycles for dummies stickers "

there used to be a tv poster called snowflake who sent his bike in for an oil change

from what i heard ,the somchais took out the oil and then told him it was ready

(obviously ,they forgot to put in some new oil and the engine failed minutes later )

TIT (trust nobody when it comes to safety )

I have just had my first decent run on the 400i and I am a happy camper. Cruised comfortably and stablely on Sukhumvit at 120 with plenty left in the throttle to get me out of trouble should it be needed. On the back roads cornered as well as a motorbike.

Overall very comfortable and easy to use but without losing the fun factor.

Also last night I realised, for the first time, what riding a bike with good headlights is like. You can see ahead!!! That was a novelty. Really the headlights on the bike are superb with good distance and width.

I think I have bought a winner. But you do get lots of questions from people at traffic lights!!

I have just had my first decent run on the 400i and I am a happy camper. Cruised comfortably and stablely on Sukhumvit at 120 with plenty left in the throttle to get me out of trouble should it be needed. On the back roads cornered as well as a motorbike.

Also last night I realised, for the first time, what riding a bike with good headlights is like. You can see ahead!!! That was a novelty. Really the headlights on the bike are superb with good distance and width.

I think I have bought a winner. But you do get lots of questions from people at traffic lights!!

LOL, is that what those little lights were made for tongue.png

Wow, sounds good. I start dreaming of the 400i too. I am sure you have bought a decent bike and will have lots of fun with it. I would like to have your bike and enough time to travel around. Must be like heaven :)

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Thanks for all the reviews and discussion on the bike, i am sure i want one.

Now on to the other question, which i wondered, does anyone have experience with finance on the bike?

I do have WP , my question is, should i apply for finance at the dealer or get one direct from the bank? i already have a car on loan, so have the contact person for the application.

What are the conditions and difference in dealer finance and bank finance when it comes to bikes? i do realize the rate, but what about things like paying it out faster, paying more per month etc

One final observation. Took the gf out today so 130Kg in weight (and thats just her!!!!LOL). two up we cruised comfortably at 120-130 although I would say with 2 up 110 (5000rpm) was the optimum cruising speed. At 110 it seemed effortless, smooth and totally stable. At 130 I felt like I was going very fast but 110 felt like I was toodling along.

• 2 weeks later...

More details about the new GTS models on the SYM website:

http://www.sym.com.t...ndex.php?bid=69

I hope they will bring the "New GTS/JOYMAX 250i" (249cc) to Thailand. Should be a nice bike with nice features and around 25hp. And maybe with a lower price than the current "300i".

if its a 249cc it maybe tax free or in the lowest tax category which should make it much cheaper than a imported 300cc

The 300 is already here. It is actually only 263cc and is wider than the 400i. But it is 56k cheaper. There are a few running around Pattaya.

I have had my 400 for a couple of weeks now and I am loving it. I was originally going to keep my Suzuki Step for Pattaya traffic but I have yet to find a gap that I would want to go through but could not. The 400 is so stable at low speed and so manouverable that I have sold the step as it is not required.

The wind shield is great and on longer runs saves my neck from alot of stress. Last week I cruised up the 331 at 140kph and it was so easy. I took it up to 150 and there was still some way to go but not enough road!!

As it is if I had my chance to buy a new bike again I would choose the 400i in a heartbeat. It does everything a Tmax can do at 40% of the cost.

The 300 is already here. It is actually only 263cc and is wider than the 400i. But it is 56k cheaper. There are a few running around Pattaya.

The currently available 300i is 263cc. But SYM has a new line-up for the GTS/JOYMAX: 124.5cc, 249cc and 278cc.

The size of the New GTS/JOYMAX is 2175x760x1390 (mm) which is narrower than the MAXSYM400i. The MAXSYM400i is 2700x805x1400 (mm). So the new models should be better suited for city riding than the old models.

"old" line-up: http://www.sym.com.t...rand&bid=53#spe

post-129800-0-47393200-1340780840_thumb.

new line-up: http://www.sym.com.t...rand&bid=69#spe

post-129800-0-16664500-1340780842_thumb.

MAXSYM 400i: http://www.sym.com.t...rand&bid=64#spe

post-129800-0-04891300-1340781326_thumb.

Edited by wantan

The new Sym GTS/JOYMAX 250i should be very interesting as some people say that the new 250cc Sym GTS/Joymax will be produced in Vietnam (ASEAN). In the ASEAN market a locally produced 250cc scooter can give the Honda PCX150i a hard time....

Still the Sym GTS/Joymax 250i would probably not be available in Thailand before 2013.

The more i look at it the more i like it smile.png

Promotion video in France:

!

Some really nice MAXSYM pictures:

http://www.motorbox..../t/immagini/p/1

sym-maxsym-400-i-677b7f8c6fc57140424115978e8565b0.jpg

is that the new line up? or older one?

i personally prefer the larger bike, not so much the power but more about the shape and size

Pictures and video is the MAXSYM 400i. Sorry, forgot to mention this clearly.

The new line up is only for the smaller models GTS/JOYMAX (124.5cc, 249cc and 278cc), which are already some years old. IIRR the MAXSYM is a new model from 2011, so no need to replace it in 2012.

Edited by wantan

Hardly "the first" - even the Honda Click is water cooled!

To Lecharivari: You note I said "I think". This means I don't know but was positing a reason. Had I said that this was the reason you would be right to be so sniffy.

The current price for the 400i is 209,000 baht from Mityon in Pattaya. This I do know!

For anyone who is interested I will be posting a first 1000km review of the 400i in a week or so.

^

Same prices in Bangkok. This i was quoted by an official SYM dealer in Bangkok:

209,000 Baht for the MAXSYM 400i

150,000 Baht for the GTS 300i

I also asked the Bangkok dealer about service for their bikes. He pointed to some blue garage building on the other side of the street. To be honest, after looking at this "official service station" i am thinking about doing the service on my own if i buy a SYM. But there are two other "official service stations" in Bangkok. Maybe the others do provide a bit more confidence when looking at them.

@sgunn65:

Looking forward to your next review.