Get A Masters Degree In Thailand?

The only program I would recommend for a Westerner in Thailand is the MBA or EMBA from Sasin. It is accredited in the US, Europe and Asia. It is also taught in conjunction with the Kellogg School in the US (a top US buisness school) and has professors come from many top Universities in countries like Japan and the UK. It is also highly ranked in terms of academic standing in Asia and admission is highly selective.

Good luck.

I wasn't aware of that option. Kellogg and Wharton schools are certainly stellar affiliations.

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/emba/index.html

The key point (as you allude to) is few people (outside of Thailand) have heard of it, never mind viewing it as a respectable programme (regardless of its actual quality).

When I was working, I reviewed thousands of CVs of MBA students looking to go into banking in London, and if anyone from Sasin had applied they must had been filtered out by HR because I never saw a single one.

Few people study an MBA for academic advancement, but they do so to use the school's name as a signal to boost their CV and help them to get a (better or different) job.

Unless one is planning to work in Thailand, an MBA from a better known (and respected) school in Hong Kong or Singapore (e.g. Insead) would be a better option.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

I think a key difference lies in whether you want to have an MBA in order to administer your own business or someone else's. If the former then then the importance of the reputation of the business school that you attend is probably less pronounced.

Nevertheless, a large part of the learning experience comes from your fellow pupils so if the best and brightest tend to go certain schools before going into fat positions then it would be difficult to resist the inertia of the big name schools for many reasons.

It would be interesting to see the list of Sasin alumni; Sasin could well be the among best alumni networks MBA degrees to gain if you're going to do business in Thailand.

Edited by Trembly

The only program I would recommend for a Westerner in Thailand is the MBA or EMBA from Sasin. It is accredited in the US, Europe and Asia. It is also taught in conjunction with the Kellogg School in the US (a top US buisness school) and has professors come from many top Universities in countries like Japan and the UK. It is also highly ranked in terms of academic standing in Asia and admission is highly selective.

Good luck.

I wasn't aware of that option. Kellogg and Wharton schools are certainly stellar affiliations.

http://www.sasin.edu...emba/index.html

They could be affiliated with Harvard, but at the end of the day, the only thing that is relevant is the name of the institution on the diploma. Why not just go to Kellogg instead? It's a second tier school, sure it would be a breeze to get in.

Do a correspondence degree through a respected university. Many top universities offer this outlet, so there's no stigma to it anymore, as some posters have alluded to. It reminds me of few years back of the genuine stigma associated with internet dating. Now it's the norm.

A degree from a Thai university just won't wash anywhere else.

A degree in "Thai Culture" offered outside of Thailand? Would love to find out more.

The University of Leeds, UK

The School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London

Language seems to be a major portion of both, as I thought would be the case.

Indeed. I expect a full Bachelor's degree in Thai culture / Thai Studies, without Thai language, will be impossible to find - though I imagine there could be some in "South East Asian Studies", where students can take electives to focus on Thai culture / politics etc....

Unless the OP is interested in working in Thailand or similarly undeveloped countries in South East Asia, Africa or (maybe) Central/South America, getting a degree in Thailand will be wholly useless.

Don't let them fool you, OP. Thailand is a full on, regressing 3rd world country with almost no respect for intellectual achievement.

They train factory workers and farmers here. Nothing more.

Good luck

Doctors and education in Thailand are lacking. If you don't believe this, go find a medical journal or a science journal and see how many people are talking about or referencing studies done by Thais. This isn't really "bad", just lacking. Not sure what else to say. Anyway, I think the op has plenty of info to make his choice, or at least to start with.

Doctors and education in Thailand are lacking. If you don't believe this, go find a medical journal or a science journal and see how many people are talking about or referencing studies done by Thais. This isn't really "bad", just lacking. Not sure what else to say. Anyway, I think the op has plenty of info to make his choice, or at least to start with.

Big difference between original scientific research and providing good service to patients.

Your first sentence is fully accurate with "many" or even "most", possibly "the vast majority", but certainly not all.

If the OP ever comes back to this thread.

I have two Masters Degrees from a Level 1 University in Australia, albeit at the bottom of Level 1. Due to said University wishing/needing to gain a lot of it's income from full fee paying international students, the lectures were filled with 2nd rate students, with limited English and no experience. My learning outcomes were poor for any of the lectures. I graduated with honours, however don't feel I had to work very hard to achieve that, just a bit harder than the International Students, who plagiarised all their assignments, and did little study during the course.

I would imagine that the classroom in Thailand would be very much the same - therefore, you aren't actually going to gain anything from the University environment (no sharing of experience)...

As an employer, I would definitely question the worth of a degree from any University in Thailand, relative to one from the US (and I would have no idea what US University are level 1, or level 51)...

That said, unless I was employing a doctor, a lawyer, an engineer (to do engineering work) - a field where the degree is a must have to join the professional body, or a legal requirement - the piece of paper or university that provided it, isn't high on the selection criteria...

So go to a Thai University, slam all the girls, take photos, send me the links - nothing lost really...

Daewoo

• Like 1

Reality knocks. Knock knock........

Try going to the Health forum here and read for a while. You are just silly. Doctors are fine and there are lots of them. Nurses are better. The hospitals are 100% better and cheaper.

Hate to disagree with your Thailand sucks theme but in the case of health care you are in error.

Good luck.

http://www.sasin.edu...emba/index.html

They could be affiliated with Harvard, but at the end of the day, the only thing that is relevant is the name of the institution on the diploma. Why not just go to Kellogg instead? It's a second tier school, sure it would be a breeze to get in.

Kellogg ranks number 3 for its EMBA program and number four as best business school, and its MBA program has ranked number one in the recent past – so I’m not sure what you mean by a second rate school.

Edited by Furbie

@Brit1984

I will just make a few comments to your response to my post.

1. You are looking at an older model of education in Thailand.

a.
At the undergrad level, most of your students who left Thailand for an overseas education – with the exception of those entering the best schools, did so because they could not get into Chula or Thammasat – they had no choice.

b.
In the old days, for an advanced degree, there was no real local option. That has now changed with Sasin. That is why even major US companies like Chevron now provide full rides to Sasin to earn an EMBA or an MBA. The trend in the past was to send these high performers overseas. They are now coming back.

2. While it is true that you can never equal a degree from the most prestigious Western Universities, it is also true that the individual value of these is suspect. At a cost of between $150,000-$200,000 for a top institution, unless you become an investment banker, this create a terrible financial burden on the graduating student. I am fortunate that mine only cost $60,000 back in the mid 90s.

3. The world is changing, but the US is slow to adapt. Inside the US, almost any degree from outside the US (with the exception maybe of Oxford) is going to be looked at with some suspicion – this includes top Universities in Australia and Europe. As Asia grows in prestige and more jobs are out here, this will certainly change. However, it is true that if you plan to go back to the West, you are better off getting your degree from there.

4. Given the choice between a degree from Sasin or an on-line degree, I would chose Sasin. On-line degrees are still viewed with some suspicion and you also fail to make connections with your classmates. Someone said there is no stigma anymore – but we don’t have one on-line degree earner in my organization.

A lot of the negative comments being made on here are based on sheer ignorance. We have done work with the faculty at Sasin and have a good relationship with them. The facilities are excellent (much better than what I had in my university), the student selection process is rigorous and attendees include many performers from multinational companies, their student teams continue to do exceptionally well in international business competitions, many of the professors come from prestigious western institutions and it is affordable when compared to schools in the US. If you plan to be here for some time, this is worth it. If you will leave SEAsia when you are done, look for other options.

Edited by astral

@Furbie

Yes, the Sasin/Kellog program is THE ONE in the country that is probably worthwhile as, upon graduating, students actually receive a diploma from both institutions. For 50,000 - 60,000 USD, though, you better have some cash at the ready for the program. It is literally the only program in the whole of this country that will have any sway internationally, and you can believe this has NOTHING to do with Thailand. You are getting a degree from a top US business school.

I agree with you that Sasin may well be a good course with decent professors and nice lecture theaters. However, in my opinion, until Sasin becomes well-known and respected outside of Thailand, it would be much better to do an MBA that is well-respected globally (e.g. Harvard, LBS or Insead).

The possible exceptions being if you definetely want to stay working in Thailand (either as an employee or entrepreneur) or you have been sponsored to do your MBA by your employer with whom you intend to continue working after completion of the course (as with the Chevron example you mention).

Edited by astral
No need for full quote

I fail to see how you can state that the U.S is slow to adapt?

Medical school tuition in the U.S. is so high because of the sheer volume of research that is being conducted at the respective universities.

Technology, Medicine, and Science trickles down from the U.S to the rest of the world. No matter what you think of American culture and the people, It is still the land of innovation.

Take a look at the things you use in everyday life. There's a 99% chance that your cell phone is using an operating system developed in the U.S.

90% of all prescription drugs are researched and developed in the U.S. Even if you are using the generic, the original is most likely a U.S creation.

Look at the software that powers most of the worlds technology. It's American made all the way down to the programming languages that were developed in U.S labarotories (C++, Java, C#, SQL, Objective C, etc.)

Facebook, Apple, Google, Cisco, Microsoft.......the list goes on infinitely.

U.S. innovation powers the world. Everyone else follows.

This is the reason that an education from a U.S university is so highly regarded. Because of the RESEARCH that is produced.

All of the companies and software languages I have mentioned above were born in an American university or dorm room.

Don't just think about college as being about the classes. Graduate school is all about the people you meet, collaborate with, and being part of a dynamic innovative environment.

If all you want a piece of paper with your name on it, then go to an Asian uni.

Edited by astral
No need for full quote
  • Like 1

Lets keep on track please.

The OP wants to get a Masters degree in Thailand, but has not specified what subject.

So lets leave out knocking the medical profession

and don't get too bogged down in the MBA route, either.

That may not be what he wants.

I fail to see how you can state that the U.S is slow to adapt?

Medical school tuition in the U.S. is so high because of the sheer volume of research that is being conducted at the respective universities.

Technology, Medicine, and Science trickles down from the U.S to the rest of the world. No matter what you think of American culture and the people, It is still the land of innovation.

Take a look at the things you use in everyday life. There's a 99% chance that your cell phone is using an operating system developed in the U.S.

90% of all prescription drugs are researched and developed in the U.S. Even if you are using the generic, the original is most likely a U.S creation.

Look at the software that powers most of the worlds technology. It's American made all the way down to the programming languages that were developed in U.S labarotories (C++, Java, C#, SQL, Objective C, etc.)

Facebook, Apple, Google, Cisco, Microsoft.......the list goes on infinitely.

U.S. innovation powers the world. Everyone else follows.

This is the reason that an education from a U.S university is so highly regarded. Because of the RESEARCH that is produced.

All of the companies and software languages I have mentioned above were born in an American university or dorm room.

Don't just think about college as being about the classes. Graduate school is all about the people you meet, collaborate with, and being part of a dynamic innovative environment.

If all you want a piece of paper with your name on it, then go to an Asian uni.

While I appreciate your zealous defense of American innovation, my comment was about how the US is slow to adapt to globalization - which puts those who earn degrees from outside of the country at a disadvantage, even if it is a top institution.

Strange all the talk of Unis in the USA. In Thailand, the guy with a degree from a British university is thought of as best. If a Thai can afford it, he will study in Britain. The second choice will be USA or Australia. As a punishment kids from wealthy families are sent to New Zealand.

If you're thinking of a career in Thailand, get an online UK degree.

While I appreciate your zealous defense of American innovation, my comment was about how the US is slow to adapt to globalization - which puts those who earn degrees from outside of the country at a disadvantage, even if it is a top institution.

The US has no need to adapt to anything, as globalization is the process of the rest of the world adapting to it (rather its global corporations).

Yes I admit I'm trolling here, just a little 8-)

• Like 1

Strange all the talk of Unis in the USA. In Thailand, the guy with a degree from a British university is thought of as best. If a Thai can afford it, he will study in Britain. The second choice will be USA or Australia. As a punishment kids from wealthy families are sent to New Zealand.

Probably true unless one is in the Auto or Oil/gas business. Or argiculture or medicine. Or computers or software. Or ..... PMing is a good choice for a UK degree or MPing. And I used to think copping but not so sure now. Soldering yes unless you wanted training on a carrier.

Probably true unless one is in the Auto or Oil/gas business. Or argiculture or medicine. Or computers or software. Or ..... PMing is a good choice for a UK degree or MPing. And I used to think copping but not so sure now. Soldering yes unless you wanted training on a carrier.

I'm loathe to start yet another US / UK willy waving competition but . . .

Thais carry their University Degree fetish into soldiering too. The Thai officer with a stint at Westpoint on his record often gets more pre-emptive oohs and aahs than the officer with a stint at Sandhurst even though Westpoint is an academic institution with a significant military streak whilst Sandhurst is a military-skills academy with a related academic streak. The Sandhurst graduate will be at a more mature stage of professional military training than the Westpoint graduate, but may or may not have a degree, let alone a degree directly relevant to a professional soldier.

If it looks like I'm waving my willy around it's completely unintentional.

Edited by Trembly

??

Actually most expat here in the oil/gas business have a degree from uk, including myself.

Many Thais ive known in medicine go to the uk, especially surgeons and pharmacists who seem to choose Scotland , for obvious historic reasons.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm just asking but are most of the standards US standards? I mean like the inspections are done to US standards? Right or wrong?

I also thought most of the large oil and gas companies had head offices in the US. Dow and Chevron and so on. I know Ford does of course. And since there are 954,000 doctors in the US as opposed to 200,000 in the UK I would assume more opportunities for training in the US. Of course I could be wrong.

??

Actually most expat here in the oil/gas business have a degree from uk, including myself.

Many Thais ive known in medicine go to the uk, especially surgeons and pharmacists who seem to choose Scotland , for obvious historic reasons.

I'm just asking but are most of the standards US standards? I mean like the inspections are done to US standards? Right or wrong?

I also thought most of the large oil and gas companies had head offices in the US. Dow and Chevron and so on. I know Ford does of course. And since there are 954,000 doctors in the US as opposed to 200,000 in the UK I would assume more opportunities for training in the US. Of course I could be wrong.

Well BP for example, which is larger than the ones you mentioned has a head office in UK. Ford?

Americans always think they are bigger and better - bigger doesn't mean better - just look at the majority of women in the USA.

Look at the people who graduated from the different schools. In my high school in Aberdeen for example there was Lord Byron, my first university(Edinburgh) there were Charles Darwin, James Maxwell and others. My Second uni, was the inventor of the logarithm.

US unis are new and so haven't got such a good reputation, yet.

??

Well BP for example, which is larger than the ones you mentioned has a head office in UK. Ford?

Americans always think they are bigger and better - bigger doesn't mean better - just look at the majority of women in the USA.

Look at the people who graduated from the different schools. In my high school in Aberdeen for example there was Lord Byron, my first university(Edinburgh) there were Charles Darwin, James Maxwell and others. My Second uni, was the inventor of the logarithm.

US unis are new and so haven't got such a good reputation, yet.

Assuming you have a technical degree related to the oil and gas business at least your education is in an area of utility and in high demand. The OP was going on about Political Science as being a subject worthy of thought in institutions of higher learning.

I don't know what Byron had a degree in but always liked him. Didn't Byron think he was bigger and better? I seem to remember something about that. When I go into a bar in Pattaya and the ladies ask me where I am from I always say Scotland and they smile a lot (after I buy a them drink, of course).

• Like 1

The 2 doctors and 1 dentist that I have dealt with in Thailand have been educated in US....

That's a red herring and you know it. Pretty much every Thai doctor/dentist got some or most of their education in Thailand. Surely you know this.

Red Herring or not, that is what I have dealt with and they were all educated abroad..... I am not saying that anything negative concerning Thai medical or dental schools, this has just been my experience.

4. Given the choice between a degree from Sasin or an on-line degree, I would chose Sasin. On-line degrees are still viewed with some suspicion and you also fail to make connections with your classmates. Someone said there is no stigma anymore – but we don’t have one on-line degree earner in my organization.

But how do you really know this? With whether a degree was obtained online or in the classroom, that information is not disclosed in the transcripts or on the sheepskin.... Obviously to you and I assume many others, that an online degree carries less weight; why would anyone want to divulge that information.

But how do you really know this? With whether a degree was obtained online or in the classroom, that information is not disclosed in the transcripts or on the sheepskin.... Obviously to you and I assume many others, that an online degree carries less weight; why would anyone want to divulge that information.

If you can't figure it out from the geographic discrepency (how did you work in Thailand between 2009-20011 and earn a degree from a uni in Boston at the same time) it will come out in the interview.