90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

Does anyone actually know why Thai immigration requires foreigners to report to immigration every 90 days? I have to agree with "Uptheos" that it appears to be nothing more than "paranoia & control." I did read a "City Life" article where the officer in charge of Chiang Mai's Immigration stated the reason for the 90 day reporting was to find wanted foreign criminals. If that were the case, the immigration officer processing the 90 day reports would be sitting behind a computer checking to see if you are one of those people they are looking for. Common sense would tell you a foreign criminal is not going to be concerned with a 90 day reporting requirement unless you still believe in the "tooth fairy or Santa Clause," lol.

I found the article mildly amusing and one for the gullible,

• Like 1

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A lot of talk about paranoia. So I looked it up in Macmillan dictionary.

the worried feeling that other people do not like you and are trying to harm you, although you have no proof of this

a mental illness that makes people believe that other people do not like them and want to harm them

Make what you will of it but to me it sounds more like the people are paranoid than the Thai immigration.

I never hear the government saying the expats don't like them but I sure hear a lot of expats saying the Thai's don't like them.

the worried feeling that other people do not like you and are trying to harm you, although you have no proof of this

a mental illness that makes people believe that other people do not like them and want to harm them

Make what you will of it but to me it sounds more like the people are paranoid than the Thai immigration.

I never hear the government saying the expats don't like them but I sure hear a lot of expats saying the Thai's don't like them.

I think when "paranoia" was mentioned as a possible reason for the 90 day reporting, people think of "exaggerated self-importance" which is part of the definition you are referring to. I don't think anyone mentioned anything about "the Thai's not liking them." I have found Thai's to be generally very friendly and helpful.

I couldn't help notice you post something about 99% of the topics that tend to come up on this forum. It is probably because you are well informed and knowledgeable. Do you know why the 90 day reporting is so important?

• Like 1

I think when "paranoia" was mentioned as a possible reason for the 90 day reporting, people think of "exaggerated self-importance" which is part of the definition you are referring to. I don't think anyone mentioned anything about "the Thai's not liking them." I have found Thai's to be generally very friendly and helpful.

I couldn't help notice you post something about 99% of the topics that tend to come up on this forum. It is probably because you are well informed and knowledgeable. Do you know why the 90 day reporting is so important?

Absolutely right, but as usual it has been taken it at it's narrowest meaning, which is understandable if it had to be looked up sad.png

.......and why you still have to do it (90 day report) two weeks after an annual extension, where they have all the information about a person? + your question CMN, why is it so important?

Edited by uptheos

As a matter of fact I do.

It is not important.

But it sure is entertaining watching the old gits complain about it.

99% trouble with mathematics I see.

I don't even look at that many of them much less post on all of them.

You might want to contact the tech support team and mention to them the only threads you are getting are the ones hellodolly is looking at.

And with that I bid you all a fond goodby if you come up with any thing new please let me know. I already have your persecution message.

As a matter of fact I do.

It is not important.

But it sure is entertaining watching the old gits complain about it.

99% trouble with mathematics I see.

I don't even look at that many of them much less post on all of them.

You might want to contact the tech support team and mention to them the only threads you are getting are the ones hellodolly is looking at.

And with that I bid you all a fond goodby if you come up with any thing new please let me know. I already have your persecution message.

You mentioned you didn't think the 90 day reporting requirement is important. If this were the case, Thai Immigration would not fine people for failing to report on time. I think the question is why is it so important. I have yet to hear a logical explanation.

Also, you mentioned you are "entertained watching old gits complain about it." This 90 day reporting requirement is actually a hardship for many elderly expats who call Chiang Mai home. I'm surprised you would find this entertaining.

In addition, I'm not certain what you mean by "having received my persecution message." Do you think this might fall under the paranoia category you defined from your Macmillan dictionary? I don't recall ever sending you a "persecution message." Actually, I'm not certain what a "persecution message" even is.

I don't think Thai Immigration would require this procedure without a valid reason. I'm just curious what their logic is. Is there anyone that knows why foreigners are required to report to immigration every 90 days?

Also, you mentioned you are "entertained watching old gits complain about it." This 90 day reporting requirement is actually a hardship for many elderly expats who call Chiang Mai home. I'm surprised you would find this entertaining.

Hint 1

You don't have to do it yourself, you can send anyone.

Hint 2

For 5,000bht a year, there is an agency that will do it for you.

I don't think Thai Immigration would require this procedure without a valid reason. I'm just curious what their logic is.

Logic? Thailand?

I don't think Thai Immigration would require this procedure without a valid reason. I'm just curious what their logic is.

Logic? Thailand?

I find it hard to believe the person or people behind this decision would come up with this requirement without a valid reason. I would find it interesting to know why this requirement was implemented. It defies logic for sure. sad.png

Edited by CMNightRider

Hint 2

Actually the 90 day reporting is only 1000 baht a year & they do 4- 90 day reports for you

But they also offer the yearly renewal for 5000 baht

• Like 1

Hint 2

Actually the 90 day reporting is only 1000 baht a year & they do 4- 90 day reports for you

But they also offer the yearly renewal for 5000 baht

What is the name of the agency that does the 90 day reports for you? Also, I travel frequently and try to schedule my trips out of the country when my 90 day reporting is due. Sometimes, I am unable to do this. If the agency is doing my 90 day report every 90 days, and I'm taking trips periodically does immigration have a problem with this?

What is the name of the agency that does the 90 day reports for you? Also, I travel frequently and try to schedule my trips out of the country when my 90 day reporting is due. Sometimes, I am unable to do this. If the agency is doing my 90 day report every 90 days, and I'm taking trips periodically does immigration have a problem with this?

I use Assist in Chiangmai Land

Sorry the out of the country stuff I have no experience with but you could ask Assist

Edited by mania

I just did my 90 Day notification in Pattaya; incredibly efficient, was out again in under 10 minutes.

Better queue ticket system, too.

And friendly staff.. I couldn't believe it when I stood outside again, 7 Minutes after going in. :-)

I use Assist in Chiangmai Land

Sorry the out of the country stuff I have no experience with but you could ask Assist

Thanks. I'll ask them about this. :-)

I just did my 90 Day notification in Pattaya; incredibly efficient, was out again in under 10 minutes.

And friendly staff.. I couldn't believe it when I stood outside again, 7 Minutes after going in. :-)

I have heard this from others as well. The first time I visited Chiang Mai, Immigration, I was less than impressed. That was almost five years ago. As far as I can see, CM Immigration has been going down hill ever since with the exception of their on-line appointment system.

Edited by CMNightRider

Now I am confused (again), my understanding was that we are to report our location to the Imm. office of our home province and if away to send by post, now you are saying you were allowed to do your report in sincity?

Now it is no longer possible to do postal 90 day reporting in Chiang Mai!

The 90 day reporting via postal service is still listed as an option on the Chiang Mai, Immigration web site. Did immigration staff refuse to accept your passport and 90 day report by mail?

Have you moved? unsure.png

Have you moved? unsure.png

It's because he's a hansum man. wink.png

In today for the 90 days.

Queue number 690. Current queue number on arrival 638.

Still in and out in 35 minutes. Pleasant chat with a couple of guys, nice iced Mocha from the shop.

All in all not at all unpleasant. It's what you make it!

1508945.GIF

Would it have still been been not at all unpleasant if it were, say, 2 hours?

If that's what it took I would deal with it accordingly,not a big deal really is it?

Still in and out in 35 minutes. Pleasant chat with a couple of guys, nice iced Mocha from the shop.

1508945.GIF

If that's what it took I would deal with it accordingly,not a big deal really is it?

Guess not, if one has nothing better to do.

1508945.GIF

Guess not, if one has nothing better to do.

There's always the option to use the visa service company, or send someone else to do it for you, if your schedule is full. smile.png