90 Day Reporting - Comments And Experiences

Tywais

walked in today at 10:17 am, went to middle desk, got my number, gal told me to take it right over to the 90 day report desk, they took my paperwork and 5 minutes later i had my stamp and left. Found parking right in the main lot in front of the entrance door. Some days everything just goes right!

• Like 2

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In today for the 90 days.

Queue number 690. Current queue number on arrival 638.

Still in and out in 35 minutes. Pleasant chat with a couple of guys, nice iced Mocha from the shop.

All in all not at all unpleasant. It's what you make it!

1508945.GIF

Would it have still been been not at all unpleasant if it were, say, 2 hours?[/

If that's what it took I would deal with it accordingly,not a big deal really is it?

Guess not, if one has nothing better to do.

It is simply part of the requirements for us to live in the country that we have chosen to live in the past few years.

So we simply make the few hours available each year in our hectic schedule.

It is simply part of the requirements for us to live in the country that we have chosen to live in the past few years.

Yup, some people like to go there others don't......some even make a days outing out of it, it's their choice.

For me once a year is more than enough, as I don't have the time from my hectic schedule. biggrin.png

You remind me of when I first retired. I was thinking of getting a job again so I could have some time for myself. Giver it time and it will pass and you will learn to enjoy some of the smaller things we took for granted in are busy busy life styles. Heck I even sit there and savor a cup of coffee where it used to be drink it down and rush off to do some thing else.

It has been my experience there that when ever I had to spend time I would meet interesting people.

Mind you I wasn't sitting there with an attitude.

Yup, some people like to go there others don't......some even make a days outing out of it, it's their choice.

For me once a year is more than enough, as I don't have the time from my hectic schedule. biggrin.png

You remind me of when I first retired. I was thinking of getting a job again so I could have some time for myself. Giver it time and it will pass and you will learn to enjoy some of the smaller things we took for granted in are busy busy life styles. Heck I even sit there and savor a cup of coffee where it used to be drink it down and rush off to do some thing else.

It has been my experience there that when ever I had to spend time I would meet interesting people.

Are you recommending visiting CM Immigration to savor a cup of coffee and meet interesting people?

• Like 1

Are you recommending visiting CM Immigration to savor a cup of coffee and meet interesting people?

All the best people hang out at CMI and the coffee is outstanding.......to bad they don't sell booze for those who need it. wink.png

• Like 2

A quickie 90 Day Report report.

Arrived at Immigration this morning just before 9 am. Had to get a photo copy of one page of my passport that I had forgotten to bring with me. Got preferential treatment at the new copy shop around back by a young woman who would walk passed all the Burmese and others lined up there to take us falang ahead of everyone else. Saw her do that with a falang in front of me and she did the same for me. Didn't understand it, don't care why, total time spent getting my copy done, 1 minute. Got into the immigration office at 8:55. The place was, as usual for that time of day, packed to the rafters. Got my little handwritten chit at the centre counter, number 230, and then wiggled my way to the far right counter where the 90 (TM-47) day reports are taken. I saw number 221 move up to be served. Short story short: I was outta there at 9:20. I really don't understand all the complaining and grossing about the nightmare of immigration. I was there at a peak time of day and it still took less than half an hour. Although, I did talk to one older fellow who told me he got there at 5:30 am, he's probably complaining about the terrible service.

Beets hanging out on TV whinging about how unfair it is to you to

have to report every 90 days when you can go to Sudan and not have to

put up with the indignity of it.

Actually I was trying to point out that when you retire it does come to as point where you can enjoy things you used to take for granted.

Do you have a problem with meeting interesting people?

Not exactly like meeting them when you can hide behind a keyboard.

I really don't understand all the complaining and grossing about the nightmare of immigration. I was there at a peak time of day and it still took less than half an hour.

You probably would if you were there a few years ago and could do it in under 5 mins without having to rub shoulders with hundreds of other 'interesting' people and half of Burma. It was actually a pleasant enough experience back then, pre 'CM is one of the best places in the world to retire' days. whistling.gif

Mr, Dolly,

In reference to your post, "Beets" are something you eat or maybe avoid eating. Why would you think I would have a problem meeting interesting people? Also, I'm not certain what you mean by "hiding behind a keyboard." Logging in over 8,000 posts in under two years would be an indication of spending some serous time behind a keyboard.

It's obvious by your posts, you are educated and a wealth of information. I generally find your posts both interesting and informative. As a result, I probably should rethink my position on the 90 day reporting requirement. Even though there is no logical reason for this requirement, it does give me an opportunity to mingle with hundreds of expats from all over the world in a very small space. Hopefully, they never have a fire in there, lol.

Thank you for your suggestion about moving to Sudan. Somehow, I don't think that destination could compare with living in CM, but I do appreciate your advise.

• Like 2

Mr, Dolly,

In reference to your post, "Beets" are something you eat or maybe avoid eating. Why would you think I would have a problem meeting interesting people? Also, I'm not certain what you mean by "hiding behind a keyboard." Logging in over 8,000 posts in under two years would be an indication of spending some serous time behind a keyboard.

It's obvious by your posts, you are educated and a wealth of information. I generally find your posts both interesting and informative. As a result, I probably should rethink my position on the 90 day reporting requirement. Even though there is no logical reason for this requirement, it does give me an opportunity to mingle with hundreds of expats from all over the world in a very small space. Hopefully, they never have a fire in there, lol.

Thank you for your suggestion about moving to Sudan. Somehow, I don't think that destination could compare with living in CM, but I do appreciate your advise.

I do not recall ever defending the 90 day reporting. My statement is that it is not a big deal for a retired person. If you had bothered to read my experiences with it you would note that many times it is very fast. The longest time being one hour and forty minutes. Yes I do spend a lot of time on Thai Visa I find the financial sections to be depressing.

I guess you could say I have a perverted sense of humor. I find it funny to watch people who do not go to immigration constantly posting on a thread that asks for their experience going there. Also the ones who can't go there because there is 100's of Burmese there not sure what the name for that phobia is but I do know it is one and can be treated. (probably not here in Thailand) Seems to be a few expats have it.. None of which stands in the way of getting their 90 day report in. Not really sure where you go to meet 100"s of expats from all over the world in a room built for maybe maximum 60. That would indeed be interesting.

For a mere 1,000 baht people can avoid the reporting. I myself as a matter of fact am considering using the service to transfer the visa into my new passport as paper work and me do not mix. For 5,000 baht I am told I could avoid the renewal every year but I do not like to have to spend up to 8 hours there I do not find it worth 5,000 baht and I just take a good book with me. That and interesting people get me through the process,

Mr, Dolly,

You will eventually become an experience 'whiffer' of copious body odours from around the world, which could become highly addictive and you might find yourself hanging around there for no valid reason like many others.wink.png

• Like 1

Mr, Dolly,

You will eventually become an experience 'whiffer' of copious body odours from around the world, which could become highly addictive and you might find yourself hanging around there for no valid reason like many others.wink.png

My comment

"I guess you could say I have a perverted sense of humor. I find it

funny to watch people who do not go to immigration constantly posting on

a thread that asks for their experience going there. Also the ones who

can't go there because there is 100's of Burmese there not sure what the

name for that phobia is but I do know it is one and can be treated.

(probably not here in Thailand) Seems to be a few expats have it"

Thank you for your honest reply uptheos

I rest my case.

I rest my case

Mr, Dolly,

My comment

"I guess you could say I have a perverted sense of humor. I find it

funny to watch people who do not go to immigration constantly posting on

a thread that asks for their experience going there. Also the ones who

can't go there because there is 100's of Burmese there not sure what the

name for that phobia is but I do know it is one and can be treated.

(probably not here in Thailand) Seems to be a few expats have it"

Thank you for your honest reply uptheos

I rest my case.

I rest my case

blink.png Is this a serious post or have you had one too many?

FYI I only started using Assist last year for the 90 day reports only and for the previous 20 odd years I have had to go to immigration and put up with the same BS as everyone else!

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

I had the good fortune of having a seasonal "neighbor" invite me along for a day-trip to the city. Hadn't been there for nearly 6 months, and still had the need to collect the 90-day report update that was not mailed back in January. This was my first time to see the crowds still present at 3PM, and asking eventually got me to have a number supplied for seeing the clerk at the 90-day desk.

There were 43 people between my number and what was currently being served - Okay, but then I saw that number didn't budge for 12 minutes, and only moved a few numbers after 15 minutes. My neighbors were updating tickets at the airport, but the slowness in the line caused me to go to the cell phone and call the person who had been answering my questions back in February. He was telling me to come to Bldg.1, but in the noise of the lobby in Bldg.2, I thought he was directing me to "Desk 1"... whose staff were not on the phone and not eager to have me apparently cut-in. When I did get to them, and handed over my phone to talk, they understood my error, directed me to the proper building and I got to see the apropriate officer. (Oh, and they did smile in the process of directing me.)

The 90-day report was close to due again so this senior official was able to start my count anew. Could I see him again I asked after he said something like "he's there always to help" ... "No!" this was a one-time exception as I got caught with a mailed in report during the cycle when rules were being changed. I don't remember the exact phrasing but asked - since the nuance in English was ambiguous, and I'd sure like the option. LOL

No problems, other than the need for a day-long trip OR trusting that some agency will not only be honest, but will remain honest in the months/years ahead. Any thought of sending my wife or step-children in to do the trip for me is gone. The staff at immigration were as polite as possible while under seige of so many people waiting for assistance. I sure hope the level of staffing or the options for processing are again changed... and soon. In the meantime, there is no way I'd subject someone I care for to the trip and noisy wait. I appreciate them too much.

• Like 1

I had the good fortune

No problems, other than the need for a day-long trip OR trusting that some agency will not only be honest, but will remain honest in the months/years ahead.

I figure that the day after I pay for a year Immigration will close down Assist - like when they stopped 90 day reports by mail- and I will be back to square one, but 1,000 baht poorer.

I figure that the day after I pay for a year Immigration will close down Assist - like when they stopped 90 day reports by mail- and I will be back to square one, but 1,000 baht poorer.

Some times I think it is the opposite & if I had the

ability I would figure a way to open a visa service.

I have a feeling if things continue to grow here

a visa service could be very profitable.

I do not ever see immigration cutting off yet another source of income

not to mention it must make their job easier.

Things like 90 day mail in created more work due to the constant screw up probably based

mainly in folks mailing in the wrong things etc. Immigration got tired of dealing with it

or perhaps other reasons.

But nothing they gained from it nor losing it really as "their" work load is probably the same

either way.

Yet with visa services at least the one I work with I note they are On It

& have everything proper & squared.

Obviously they are trusted as others have noted as I first did

in Immigration. They skirt from desk to desk with a smile & get stamped etc. No fuss or bother

I would guess they have it down & are now not checked much.

I did see the main lady once tell a guy with a stack of Korean passports next time remember this or that.

So personally I see Assist type companies ( Good Ones at least ) probably growing with the expat population

here. Unless of course Chiang Mai gets a nice new improved immigration building with parking & staff to process

the crowds here in an orderly fashion. Till then? I do not see the services diminishing & I only hope the fees

stay as low as they are now.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Some times I think it is the opposite & if I had the

ability I would figure a way to open a visa service.

I have a feeling if things continue to grow here

a visa service could be very profitable.

I do not ever see immigration cutting off yet another source of income

not to mention it must make their job easier.

Things like 90 day mail in created more work due to the constant screw up probably based

mainly in folks mailing in the wrong things etc. Immigration got tired of dealing with it

But nothing they gained from it nor losing it really as "their" work load is probably the same

either way.

Yet with visa services at least the one I work with I note they are On It

& have everything proper & squared.

Obviously they are trusted as others have noted as I first did

in Immigration. They skirt from desk to desk with a smile & get stamped etc. No fuss or bother

I would guess they have it down & are now not checked much.

I did see the main lady once tell a guy with a stack of Korean passports next time remember this or that.

So personally I see Assist type companies ( Good Ones at least ) probably growing with the expat population

here. Unless of course Chiang Mai gets a nice new improved immigration building with parking & staff to process

the crowds here in an orderly fashion. Till then? I do not see the services diminishing & I only hope the fees

stay as low as they are now.

What you say makes a lot of sense. The fellow I had talked to was a farong so there is obviously some way to do it. As you say it would save the staff a lot of time in checking the papers are in order once they get to know the service. I have witnessed many times people waiting in line only to be told they need this or that and go to the shop in the back and return with it. This just causes the staff more time. Sad to say I was guilty of the same thing once when I applied for my multiple reentry.

I think it would not affect their income in any way what so ever.

I have been wondering what it is all the Burmese are doing there. Are they looking for their initial immigration papers work permits or just what is it they are looking for. If they are in the country legally possibly a service to handle all the paper work for them would be handy.

I have been wondering what it is all the Burmese are doing there. Are they looking for their initial immigration papers work permits or just what is it they are looking for. If they are in the country legally possibly a service to handle all the paper work for them would be handy.

I had wondered the same on my trips there.

My wife thought they might be mainly getting work type papers/permits

since they seem mainly to be going to a different building to the left of the entrance.

When not in line at the copy machines. smile.png But I do not know for sure.

Fair point, but a lot of objectionable policies originate at the top in Bangkok, rather than Chiang Mai. They are the ones who would be more likely to forbid using an agency since it defeats the supposed purpose of the 90 day reports.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I had the good fortune

No problems, other than the need for a day-long trip OR trusting that some agency will not only be honest, but will remain honest in the months/years ahead.

Anything is possible UG, nothing is guaranteed.

I would hazard a guess that it is to immigration's advantage to work with companies like Assist, apart from the obvious reason wink.png the bunch of papers and photocopies they get handed, will most certainly be correct and thus easy to do......just my thoughts.

• Like 1

Agreed, but as I said above, it is the big bosses in Bangkok immigration that I am worried about, rather than Chiang Mai.

You think its crowded now, wait and see how it is if the agencies get stopped. w00t.gif

That does not seem to bother the big boys in Bangkok. sad.png