New Luggage Scanners, Bomb Detectors Installed At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

New luggage scanners, bomb detectors installed at Suvarnabhumi Airport

air.jpeg

New security check area are located before Immigration

BANGKOK, 14 June 2012 (NNT) - The Airports of Thailand (AoT) is ready to open its new luggage checking system on the east side of Suvarnabhumi Airport’s passenger terminal in order to accelerate the immigration process.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol said the airport has recently installed several high-technology luggage scanners at a new security check area on the second floor of the departure terminal.

The new devices include twelve x-ray scanners, six walk-through metal detectors and two explosive detectors that are also known as CT 80.The airport has also introduced a new body scanner, which, according to the AoT staff, is not mandatory to all passengers. It helps facilitate a thorough body inspection without any violation to the passenger.

The body scanner is said to have the ability to detect both metallic and non-metallic items, including narcotic substances.Although passengers usually have to walk through the immigration counters before having their luggage scanned for suspicious items, Mr. Somchai noted that air-travelers at the new security check area will be requested to have their luggage scanned first.

He said in lieu of having prohibited items, such as hair gel or perfume, confiscated on the spot, this system will allow travelers to leave the items with their friends or relatives before proceeding to the immigration counters.With the new additions to the airport, staff are expected to be able to process passengers at the rate of up to 3,600 persons per hour.

The new luggage scanning area will commence full operation at 4 am on June 15, 2012.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-06-14 footer_n.gif

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh great, more security theater. Why exactly are they wasting money and people's time with this thing when it's already been proven worthless in america..

http://tsaoutofourpa...-body-scanners/

I hope they'll still allow body searches since I don't want to get cancer from these things which although might be a small chance isn't something I want thanks.

Edited by hungryhippo
  • Like 2

" ... this system will allow travelers to leave the items with their friends or relatives before proceeding to the immigration counters ..."

So ... if I get this right ... after having your luggage scanned, you will be able to meet with friends and relatives to give them items rejected by the scanner. Presumably this must be done under very tight security, otherwise the friends and relatives can give you items at the same time - bomb making materials, for example. So how many additional officials is this going to require?

• Like 2

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively. This is a full step backwards as I see that Thailand has a tendency to replicate the errors and misdeeds of the West rather than the advances they have made in Health and Wellness!

" ... this system will allow travelers to leave the items with their friends or relatives before proceeding to the immigration counters ..."

So ... if I get this right ... after having your luggage scanned, you will be able to meet with friends and relatives to give them items rejected by the scanner. Presumably this must be done under very tight security, otherwise the friends and relatives can give you items at the same time - bomb making materials, for example. So how many additional officials is this going to require?

I guess you go back to the end of the queue and go through again. Another delay for you and for others in the queue, but no more staff required.

Oh great, more security theater. Why exactly are they wasting money and people's time with this thing when it's already been proven worthless in america..

http://tsaoutofourpa...-body-scanners/

I hope they'll still allow body searches since I don't want to get cancer from these things which although might be a small chance isn't something I want thanks.

Well seriously, not everybody (probably nobody if you think of it) wants that dam_n X-ray! What is somebody already has cancer or any other condition that could be worsened? Or what if people simply don't want to go through the procedure?

Something has to be done about it. If a petition needs to be signed, I'll be the first one to put my name on it.

Clearly this is being put in place to counter sex tourism in the Kingdom: individuals shown on the body scanners to be priapic will undoubtedly be denied re-entry, so to speak.

Edited by asdecas

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively. This is a full step backwards as I see that Thailand has a tendency to replicate the errors and misdeeds of the West rather than the advances they have made in Health and Wellness!

very true, that's the main issue. you get 80 times of a chest x-ray without any lead protection. look at the TSA guys at Logan airport. pretty obvious why their cancer rate goes through the roof. of course the scanners are safe - according to inhouse tests. what a joke. i urge evryone not to go through these body scanners. and i pity the poor Thai personnell, who have no clue and get their health ruined standing around these radiators 8 hours a day...

• Like 2

You're supposed to backtrack to return the items you don't want confiscated.

Not to go through.

very true, that's the main issue. you get 80 times of a chest x-ray without any lead protection. look at the TSA guys at Logan airport. pretty obvious why their cancer rate goes through the roof. of course the scanners are safe - according to inhouse tests. what a joke. i urge evryone not to go through these body scanners. and i pity the poor Thai personnell, who have no clue and get their health ruined standing around these radiators 8 hours a day...

Interesting topic for frequent travelers most of us have to be.

Any links to scientific/reliable websites on the matter?

Not to go through.

Another good reason to get there early.

With the new additions to the airport, staff are expected to be able to process passengers at the rate of up to 3,600 persons per hour.

47,910,744 passengers in 2011 (source = http://en.wikipedia....port#Statistics )

If open 20 hours per day, that's 6563 passengers per hour. Half for departure = 3282 per hour, in average.

Looks like it'll still clog during rush hours... And if 2012 sees a 12% raise like 2011, then it'll clog all day long... ph34r.png

• Like 1

More lineups never accelerate anything.

OF COURSE NOTHING ACCELERATE except the bad mood of travelers. As the picture show, the waiting line of passenger is moved in front of the scanner and the ca. 20 immigration both will be empty ready to serve ... Thai logical :-)

Not to go through.

Another good reason to get there early.

go earlier again or naked !!!

It has been already proven that these scanners are very dangerous and can affect ones's DNA negatively

Ok where is the peer reviewed evidence? Please quote the research before you make such scaremongering statements

• Like 1

just cleared through the immigration and now giving a dump at the gatehold toilet while posting this. oops

don't see any new full body scanner. but dam_n, they seized my swissknife!

Yeah, they even took my tiny Leatherman, with its pathetic little 2-inch knife blade. Hardly the weapon to strike terror into the hearts of pilots and hosties!!! I was even allowed to carry it into the Louvre, in Paris. dam_n, that was an expensive oversight!! sad.png

Evidence? 80 times more ? please show me the data. Are you saying they installed these things about 1 year ago and already the guys at Logan airport are getting cancer many more times more frequently than others? Proof?

Edited by msg362