Brasserie 45. Closed?

Awk

Now and then I drop by Brasserie 45 in the evening, for some on the verge of hidden camera worthy ridiculously incompetent service, but with live music that somewhat makes up for it. The last two times I've ventured out there, with the last time being yesterday, it has however been closed. Does anyone know why?

i just wondered if they were building the new one next door.

I went once during Loy krathong 2yr since, empty tables with half bottles beer left, dirty plates, even a 100bt tip on the table. no staff to be seen anywhere. Walked through to the back area, just a few guys packing their music stuff away. sat there 10 mins like lemons, and wondered if all the staff had just had a bust up and pi$$ed off.

As for the 100bt tip on the table.....the decision of the 4 of us was unanimousbiggrin.png

I never heard it referred to as "45" before. I'm sure they are not rebuilding next-door. Took owns the place and I don't think he's going anywhere. It's hit or miss over there but it is usually open even if Took has disappeared for months.

As for being closed last night, I was out last night and it seemed almost everywhere was closed. Did anyone else notice that? I mean bars, restaurants, shops, etc. I finally asked someone what was going on and was told it was a special Buddhist day to wish good luck for Chiang Mai. After driving around a little longer I did notice quite a few monks around and plastic chairs set up all around the moat. That could be the reason.

Boy from the Boy Blues Bar is Took's (the Brasserie owner) nephew, I asked him a couple of weeks ago about the place and he said that Took's mother (or someone close) died back home Nakorn Sawan and he went back for a few weeks. Guess he hasn't returned.

Really hope they can get their sh!te together soon and bring the Brasserie back to its former glory, it really has been a dissapointment for a long while.

The Brasserie has closed and is moving to a new place near Sompet Market. They're going to spend some time renovating the new place, then opening. It will still have live music but it's not clear if Took will play there or not.

The story about Took's ma dying is correct, although he got back a few weeks ago. He played at the closing party, which was fantastic.

Edited by madmikie

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am new in this Forum - even if I read here frequently since years.

I Just got the Link to this Thread from a friend who also was wondering about the Brasserie...

I am frequently in Thailand and Chiang Mai and also for me, the Brasserie was always the first Destination in CNX!

Last Week I was there for a few Days:

Its just sad. The Brasserie is really not existing anymore. Where it was is now a new Building.

I was also wondering, why Took not answered my Mails two weeks before.

After the first shock, as I heard about the End of the Brasserie,

some friends of Took gave me the tip to go to the Boy Blues Bar.

Took seems to jam there "frequently".

And just as I was there, he really came and started to play.

I recorded three "Songs" (Jams) with my Camcorder in quite a good Quality and uploaded them to Youtube.

Unfortunately I can not post Links here? There is an error Message if I try.

So I can only give you my Youtube Username: MoesiTV

If you search for it in Youtube, you will find my Channel.

The newest three Clips are named:

Took (aka Tuk) jamming with "Boy" in Boy Blues Bar Chiang Mai (Thailand) 1/3, HD, HQ

Took (aka Tuk) jamming with "Boy" in Boy Blues Bar Chiang Mai (Thailand) 2/3, HD, HQ

Took (aka Tuk) jamming with "Boy" in Boy Blues Bar Chiang Mai (Thailand) 3/3, HD, HQ

(There are also some older Clips from Took in my Youtube-Channel, but mostly not good quality, because recorded with Mobile-Phones)

As he finished playing we could not speak too much.

As I understood, yes he "lost" his Mother and is very depressive in the Moment and he is looking for a new place.

Hope we can update soon where this place will be ...

Regards, Stefan

Edited by Moesi66
  • Like 1

The Brasserie has closed and is moving to a new place near Sompet Market. They're going to spend some time renovating the new place, then opening. It will still have live music but it's not clear if Took will play there or not.

The story about Took's ma dying is correct, although he got back a few weeks ago. He played at the closing party, which was fantastic.

Thamks for the info. Please post updates as you hear them...

• 4 months later...

The Brasserie has reopened! It's now just outside the moat northeast of the Old City, just across the moat from Ginger Kafe. Took is M.I.A. but his ex-wife runs the place and the house band is still great.

Someone posted that Took is playing again. I haven't been by to see for myself, but see this post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608773-ped-bluesman-in-town-for-one-night-only/

Thank you all for the information. An elderly friend of mine told me to check at the Brasserie when I came to Thailand, but I found it had moved to the moat. Then, when I went a few times I didn't see much happening. I hope it gets back to what it used to be.

Thank you all for the information. An elderly friend of mine told me to check at the Brasserie when I came to Thailand, but I found it had moved to the moat. Then, when I went a few times I didn't see much happening. I hope it gets back to what it used to be.

Just went searching around and it looks like we missed the New Year party. There are pictures of Took and others. I can't tell if that is his old keyboard guy playing in the photos. A comment on Facebook says that there is a Blues Jam Session there tonight. If anyone happens to go, would you please try to find out when the music starts? (I'm not feeling so hot today so will probably not be going out.) Thanks.

Oh, as others have said it is on Chaiyaphum (East side of the moat), closer to the North side.

Edited by just_Elaine

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates. Will give it another go now that Took is back in town. Thoroughly enjoyed Chai's show a couple of weeks ago.

Just fyi... We went by there about 9 days ago (Friday night) and Mai Blues just happened to walk out of there. I asked him if Took was playing and he looked at me in surprise for asking and said "No'. So I don't know if Took is playing there on a regular basis or not. Anyway, he wasn't there the night we went by.

Can someone give more exact details of location please?

Oh, as others have said it is on Chaiyaphum (East side of the moat), closer to the North side.

It is near Sompet market (someone said "Kad Sompet" above) and I mentioned that it is on Chaiyaphum which is the outer road. Start from the northeast corner of the moat on Chiayaphum road and walk South. I think Miguel's Cafe is pretty close to it, but I think Brasserie is north of Miguel's (not sure about this).

Can someone give more exact details of location please?

It is near Sompet market (someone said "Kad Sompet" above) and I mentioned that it is on Chaiyaphum which is the outer road. Start from the northeast corner of the moat on Chiayaphum road and walk South. I think Miguel's Cafe is pretty close to it, but I think Brasserie is north of Miguel's (not sure about this).

OK thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After initially going to the old location, we went there last night after finding out its new home by the moat. Not the busiest of nights but Took was there. He initially played an absolutely brilliant acoustic set and then another (again excellent) 3-piece came on and then Took returned later on with his band. Great music, a nice vibe inside the place - just a shame that more people weren't there to appreciate it.

• Like 1

After initially going to the old location, we went there last night after finding out its new home by the moat. Not the busiest of nights but Took was there. He initially played an absolutely brilliant acoustic set and then another (again excellent) 3-piece came on and then Took returned later on with his band. Great music, a nice vibe inside the place - just a shame that more people weren't there to appreciate it.

Seems to me this has always been the case - going back a good few years at least. On the river mostly it was Good View and Riverside always taking the best chunk of the punters. I never ventured down much, few times a year I guess, and the wood near the river was getting more and more rotten/ant-eaten with little care. Food was never that great either compared to the neighbours, but it certainly had the best vibe/music for those that cared. New one is the wrong side of the moat for me really, but may take a wonder and check it out.

Never realised Took actually owned the place; known Boy and Moo (nephews) for many years (from their Guitarman days before the Blues Bar).

• Like 1

We come to CM at least once a year pretty much to hear Took. We have always stayed within easy walking distance, down by the river. Now we are booking in the old town and near the moat so we can get to the new place easily. I can never get over how few people go to see him play. He would pack out any pub in OZ. Spent an hour or so having a drink with him and my son - he was lamenting how little support he gets and I seem to have got the idea that he was either the owner or part owner of the old Brasserie. Guess he may have got an offer on the place - it has a great position and as others have commented the food was pretty ordinary. He has some sort of relative (brother?) playing regularly at Ad Here 13 in BKK. A couple of years ago we went there most nights when in BKK.

I know it's not his style, but Took really needs to set up a routine or advertise when he's playing i.e. Friday & Saturday nights etc.

If I knew he would be playing then I and many others would go. Unfortunately I've been a bunch of times when he didn't play.