Expats In Thailand: Is Your Goal Here To "Integrate" Into Thai Society?

Jingthing

Poll  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A simple yes or no will do. If that doesn't work for you, there is the grumpy expat option, etc.

Yes I anticipate the whinges: why didn't you allow for different gradations of desired integration? Because I find the question I did ask more interesting, that's why.

This poll inspired by another current thread suggesting how you CAN integrate into Thai society. That made me wonder, how many of us actually have any desire to do so.

Not judging. Just asking ...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I voted no. Integration means to me a desire to become Thai and to hold Thai citizenship and I have no aspirations in these 2 matters.

That does not mean I am averse to learning Thai and to try to understand local customs/culture partly as a mark of respect to my "host" and partly to make life easier for myself whilst I am here.

I guess if I am a guest here and feel like one (which is not a bad thing) then I suppose I am not in an "integration" frame of mind.

• Like 2

I don't have any intention to eat chicken feet (or any other culinary oddities) nor will I ever ride (or be a passenger on) a motorbike.

I do though try to understand and be respectful towards Thai culture and social norms. For example, I try to remember not to hold my wife's hand in public.

I am also learning the language (although only slowly and without particular effort) and I try to stay informed about current affairs.

However, for me, as I expect is the case with many (if not most) expats, I am not sure how long we will stay in Thailand so I don't feel particularly motivated to integrate fully.

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

For me integration is to accept Thai culture and practices such as endemic corruption, so no. Will of course endeavour not to offend Thai people and respect of individuals.

No

Making the effort to integrate into a society that grants me little more than basic human rights seems like folly.

I like it here but have no desire to integrate into a country that is - with good reason - an utter laughing stock around the world.

• Like 2

Voted the third option as I have intention to live here long time, but not planning to fully integrate into the society as it would be impossible with the attitude of my mind.

If we strictly define "integration" as it is then I can't incorporate, especially in terms of religion, disciplines and the diet. Otherwise, I can live here problem free.

I don't consider attempting to avoid problems is the same as the goal to integrate. To me, it's more like do I want to become as similar as a Thai person as humanly possible. Because obviously becoming fully Thai isn't possible for a foreigner, even with Thai citizenship.

I realize many people are going to feel not absolutely yes, not absolutely no, more like somewhere in between. But like any poll question, the idea is to vote the answer CLOSEST to your feeling, not necessarily exactly.

Edited by Jingthing

I tend to hate 'yes' or 'no' surveys. As I get older I find myself seeing both sides of almost every point of view. Maybe 'integrate ' isn't the right word, maybe 'making an effort to understand, and not annoy, too many people around you' is more like it. This isn't a Thaivisa question, it's a question you get confronted with every day wherever you live.

So, my definite, convinced and cogitated answer: dunno.

I tend to hate 'yes' or 'no' surveys. As I get older I find myself seeing both sides of almost every point of view. Maybe 'integrate ' isn't the right word, maybe 'making an effort to understand, and not annoy, too many people around you' is more like it. This isn't a Thaivisa question, it's a question you get confronted with every day wherever you live.

The yes or no construct is a method to force you to make a choice. Many things in life are exactly like that. Such as do you move to Thailand or not? Yes or no. Do you stay in Thailand or not? Yes or no.

I don't consider attempting to avoid problems is the same as the goal to integrate. To me, it's more like do I want to become as similar as a Thai person as humanly possible. Because obviously becoming fully Thai isn't possible for a foreigner, even with Thai citizenship.

I realize many people are going to feel not absolutely yes, not absolutely no, more like somewhere in between. But like any poll question, the idea is to vote the answer CLOSEST to your feeling, not necessarily exactly.

Are you trying to emulate a particular Thai person, or have you created (in your mind) an average Thai person to copy?

It seems like an odd way to me to live your life. Why not just learn about Thailand and its culture but still be yourself?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

The yes or no construct is a method to force you to make a choice. Many things in life are exactly like that. Such as do you move to Thailand or not? Yes or no. Do you stay in Thailand or not? Yes or no.

I fînd myself confronted with the choice: do I want to answer a survey that forces me to say yes or no to an over simplified question.

I think you needed to add one more option:

* Will do the best I can.

No, that's covered. If your GOAL is integration and your feeling is I'll do the best I can to reach that (impossible) goal, then your answer should OBVIOUSLY be YES. Just as I suspected the comments are more about the structure of the poll question than the actual topic. How drearily predictable.

I fînd myself confronted with the choice: do I want to answer a survey that forces me to say yes or no to an over simplified question.

You're right. The question is confrontational. But there is any easy out. The third answer or no answer.

I think you needed to add one more option:

* Will do the best I can.

No, that's covered. If your GOAL is integration and your feeling is I'll do the best I can to reach that (impossible) goal, then your answer should OBVIOUSLY be YES. Just as I suspected the comments are more about the structure of the poll question than the actual topic. How drearily predictable.

Got ya. I will answer yes.

I think the survey is quite straight-forward. People, who know what they want, can answer yes or no. Hesitant members can evade the question by ticking the option 3. I find a lot of surveys difficult to answer. It is always like forcing us to make a choice.

This survey can measure the percentage of voters wanting to integrate or not. It can't measure reasons as it is not the goal.

It is not designed for elaborate answers.

• Like 1

For those who say No, I wonder why they came to live in LOS in the first place?

Better to join the Fish and Chips/English Pub brigade in Spain?

I came here to work...and once there is no longer work here for me, it's time to move on, but will certainly not moving to Spain...

I am not sure it is really possible in the main to integrate here, not with Thai society as it is and the way the laws of the land are. There is always that uncertainty too about what will happen next with visas, uncertainty about the legal system and what seems too often a lack of basic protection.