Tipping In Phuket

snamos

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well while you folk move back and forth about the merits of Thais speaking English, do bear in mind that only about 13% of tourists come from countries where English is the primary language. Take a look at the table in the attachment and then kindly advise which of those languages Thais should learn - perhaps all of them? We're way off topic, but LiK seems to have given us some leeway. However, I suggest you add your comments and flames quickly - I dare say this thread is on countdown for closure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand#Statistics

There is a big difference in our ways of thinking

I personally tip on service, which is horrible in thailand so yes i rarely tip here. You tip to be accepted because you crave it, just as many older men move to this country not only for the women but because money sort of buys friendship and a personality here. This isnt most people though. I request that you stop imagining that everyone is the same as you.

Japan is amazing, there is much to see and its much more intellectual and visual. You will find a lot of fine little food outlets that will blow your head off as well. I wouldn't expect an Englishman living in thailand to understand this

As far as teaching pro-bono. Thais have years of english classes and they still refuse to learn, they'd rather take drugs and shoot each others. That's not my problem. They just get no money from me and many other who think their service is crap. Thais refusing to learn more than 5 words of english in the tourism industry are simply arrogant and do not deserve any money.

Tips for service are just like food in a 5 star restaurant back home. Food sucks? You dont pay and you flip off the '5 star' cook.

Im a 35 year old Australian hahaha:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I spent 6 months in Japan, I couldn't believe how little English was spoken there too.

i would like them to speak more than 2 words of english as they have had years of english classes in school and they chose the service industry in an international destination.

Everywhere else in the world, uneducated dumbos are able to speak english in places of tourism, even road sellers are pretty decent. Yet in thailand even an university educated tourism worker can't put 3 words together except 'you pay!'

You ever been to Japan? Ive been well over 40 times....I heard less English spoken by Japanese than Thais, and Japan is supposed to be an educated 1st world country. I found it glum / bleak and boring, unless we found a Thai or Filipino Kareoke bar.

There is no tipping in Japan so what's your point?

The Japanese don't NEED to speak English in their own country.

If the only place you can find fun in Japan is a Thai or Flip bar I feel sorry for you.

I spent 6 months in Japan, I couldn't believe how little English was spoken there too.

i would like them to speak more than 2 words of english as they have had years of english classes in school and they chose the service industry in an international destination.

Everywhere else in the world, uneducated dumbos are able to speak english in places of tourism, even road sellers are pretty decent. Yet in thailand even an university educated tourism worker can't put 3 words together except 'you pay!'

You ever been to Japan? Ive been well over 40 times....I heard less English spoken by Japanese than Thais, and Japan is supposed to be an educated 1st world country. I found it glum / bleak and boring, unless we found a Thai or Filipino Kareoke bar.

There is no tipping in Japan so what's your point?

The Japanese don't NEED to speak English in their own country.

If the only place you can find fun in Japan is a Thai or Flip bar I feel sorry for you.

Agreed I think the English in Thailand is better than Japan and Vietnam. Malaysia and Singapore both better than here though.

Perhaps the reason i tip is because i used to work in the hospitality industry and always appreciated people who tipped me. Especially when they could see that i had a hard night. Those tippers always copped stronger drinks than others and a freebie now and then....just like i get in Phuket (except the petrol pump people) ;)

Osaka, himiji , senboku , chiba kesai , futtsu, kashima, wkayama, kashima, tokyo, kawasaki, nagoya.....you want more places where they dont speak english? And i was working as there as well as going out.

Back to the OP I dont automatically tip in Phuket. If im pissed off with the service i will leave nothing....or even better is to find a couple of 25 satang coins behind.

I have seen on the dive boats after the boat boys have passed the tip bucket around, collect all the notes and then tip the coins out into the sea in direct view of the customers

Edited by snamos

Osaka, himiji , senboku , chiba kesai , futtsu, kashima, wkayama, kashima, tokyo, kawasaki, nagoya.....you want more places where they dont speak english? And i was working as there as well as going out.

Back to the OP I dont automatically tip in Phuket. If im pissed off with the service i will leave nothing....or even better is to find a couple of 25 satang coins behind.

I have seen on the dive boats after the boat boys have passed the tip bucket around, collect all the notes and then tip the coins out into the sea in direct view of the customers

coffee1.gif

Yes, that sort of thing does rather indicate weakness of character and bad manners, but then again you can’t put a silk hat on a pig. Not really worth too much deliberation except to recover the notes and proffer Somchai a pair of goggles

and a snorkel.

My own guidelines;

Ø Service charge=enforced tipping = no tip sad.png

Ø Crap service/crap food = no tip sad.png

Ø Should you find yourself (by accident) in the company of a bar lass and she tells you to tip = no tip ermm.gif

Ø Waitress has a great azz and lips that could slurp the chrome of a car bumper = huge tip regardless of any service faults smile.png

Ø Never feel bad about not tipping for what is essentially begging – its my hard earned, not theirs, and my name is not Father Kitamath. You want it – you earn it, aye. thumbsup.gif

Only tip in restaurants if the food and service are good, then about 10%. If the food or service is bad, no tip and if service charge included again no tip. As for tipping in bars or any where else..NO way....so many times tips are expected even when prices are way over the top and the staff are rude..the look on the face when you take all your change always makes me smile.

• 2 weeks later...

When Mcdonalds start offering service like putting their hamburgers on plates with the option of a knife and fork, if they actually waited on the tables by asking people if they would like a coffee after their meal...and dont expect me to clear my own rubbish away. They might get tipped. Until that day comes i dont tip people who just operate cash registers. I tip at Bangkok Burgers which offers service, Mcdonalds does not offer service (except for the motorbike delivery guys which get tipped by me). If eventually Mcdonalds does provide service instead of just registering cash then i imagine the staff will be tipped in the same way as restaurants the world over....thanks Mr Pink for your insight

When Mcdonalds start offering service like putting their hamburgers on plates with the option of a knife and fork, if they actually waited on the tables by asking people if they would like a coffee after their meal...and dont expect me to clear my own rubbish away. They might get tipped. Until that day comes i dont tip people who just operate cash registers. I tip at Bangkok Burgers which offers service, Mcdonalds does not offer service (except for the motorbike delivery guys which get tipped by me). If eventually Mcdonalds does provide service instead of just registering cash then i imagine the staff will be tipped in the same way as restaurants the world over....thanks Mr Pink for your insight

Exactly.

Just because you can operate a Jewish piano doesn't warrant a tip.

• 1 month later...

From this day forth I will not eat at an establishment that charges a service charge.

Kan eng@pier is now off the list.

I can understand a hotel charging for service because it involves many services throughout a stay but just for someone to bring me my food is not acceptable.

Why do restaurants feel that they are entitled to charge it?

• Like 1

Don't have a problem with tipping my wife pays the bills not me and gives a maximum of 10%

You don't even know if the staff gets to keep the tip quite often the management keep it, they are just cheapskates

Like Hans if they have a service charge i will not use a restaurant, its just a compulsory tip no matter what the service and food is like

From this day forth I will not eat at an establishment that charges a service charge.

I can understand a hotel charging for service because it involves many services throughout a stay but just for someone to bring me my food is not acceptable.

They are calling it a service charge, but it really is not. It is just a way to make the restaurant look more attractive because of lower prices than it really is.

IMO a service charge should have no effect on tipping because it is simply a salesploy from the restaurant. Avoiding them is much more logical IMO..

They are calling it a service charge, but it really is not. It is just a way to make the restaurant look more attractive because of lower prices than it really is.

IMO a service charge should have no effect on tipping because it is simply a salesploy from the restaurant. Avoiding them is much more logical IMO..

Do ex backpackers tip and are they happy paying a service charge which as far as i am concerned is a compulsory tip

I'm an ex-back-packer and I always tip.

Most people tip how do you feel about a compulsory service charge??

That is not a service charge. It is marketed/sold as a service charge, but is simply part of the food/drink prices.

I'm an ex-back-packer and I always tip.

Most people tip how do you feel about a compulsory service charge??

That is not a service charge. It is marketed/sold as a service charge, but is simply part of the food/drink prices.

That's codswallop if its part of the cost of food or drinks it should be included in the price on the menu

They do the same thing in Langkawi as well

One well known resort in Rawai gave us a menu with no service or tax charges as extras, when we got the bill both charges had been added to the bill

When i complained they brought out a different menu with the charges plainly marked on it, needless to say we have not been back there since

I understood that tipping is not really part of Thai culture. It's a nice gesture if the service is good.

If an restaurant is using service charges, then there is not really need for tipping. If this money does not go to the personnel, they will draw their own conclusions and move to work to another place where it's more custom to receive tips.

This will hurt the little man for an while, but at the end of the day the restaurant will suffer.

this is the umpteenth tipping thread in thaivisa with the same old same old controversial comments. some people must be really coffee1.gif

Some people don't venture outside the phuket forum and this thread is titled "tipping in phuket"

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know though.

• Like 1

So if service charge should have no affect (sic) on tipping, are you happy to fork out 10% service charge, 10% tip and a further 7% vat?

That's 27% more than the actual meal and beverage cost.

Ridiculous.

• Like 1

So if service charge should have no affect (sic) on tipping, are you happy to fork out 10% service charge, 10% tip and a further 7% vat?

That's 27% more than the actual meal and beverage cost.

Ridiculous.

Yes, ridiculous. Which is why I said that avoiding these places is logical.

this is the umpteenth tipping thread in thaivisa with the same old same old controversial comments. some people must be really coffee1.gif

First time ive seen it....with 18000 + posts under your belt buddy it might be a wise move to go outside and enjoy Phuket......you ever watched 'The Truman Show'?? The scene at the end might strike a cord with you.

I think its a worthy topic. Just curious to see how everyone else acts in Phuket

First time ive seen it....with 18000 + posts under your belt buddy it might be a wise move to go outside and enjoy Phuket......you ever watched 'The Truman Show'?? The scene at the end might strike a cord with you.

I think its a worthy topic. Just curious to see how everyone else acts in Phuket

Phuket was a real beauty in the 80s. in 2003, when we considered retiring in Thailand, we travelled to Phuket, looked around and booked our return flight 48 hours later.

I always give the standard 15% and maybe a little more if the service is very good. I couldn't enjoy the meal otherwise. I figure that if i can afford to eat in a restaurant than I am a lot better off than the poor server who is probably making less per month than I spend in a week. I still tip if there is a service charge as that rarely goes to the servers. The owners usually keep that as "reimbursement" for the salary they pay they staff.