Contaminated Food May Have Killed Canadian Sisters: Phi Phi Island

webfact

With this I agree -the bigger picture of what is going on in Thailand at the moment is very scary. I have had nieces and nephews out making exactly the same trips as I am sure many of you have. Whatever the outcome, the island backpacking scene and general tourism is fast becoming more deadly than it has ever been. And i apologise if you don't like my posts either coffee1.gif

Hey folks, none of this fatal poisoning stuff going in northern Thailand, where I reside. No extortions either, whether on beaches or elsewhere up here. We got all the good things southern Thailand has except sea beaches and snorkling/scuba. Come visit northernmost Thailand, I promise you won't get poisoned or extorted, and the taxi/tuk tuk fares don't cost an arm and a leg.

Edited by maidu

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With this I agree -the bigger picture of what is going on in Thailand at the moment is very scary. I have had nieces and nephews out making exactly the same trips as I am sure many of you have. Whatever the outcome, the island backpacking scene and general tourism is fast becoming more deadly than it has ever been. And i apologise if you don't like my posts either coffee1.gif

Hey folks, none of this fatal poisoning stuff going in northern Thailand, where I reside. No extortions either, whether on beaches or elsewhere up here. We got all the good things southern Thailand has except sea beaches and snorkling/scuba. Come visit northernmost Thailand, I promise you won't get poisoned or extorted, and the taxi/tuk tuk fares don't cost an arm and a leg.

Interestingly, that is not my post quoted . . .

huh.. didn't a bunch of tourists die from overuse of pesticide in the hotel in Chang Mai? And I constantly hear of folks getting shot up there.

Edited by Jayman

^ Those deaths in Chiang Mai were never solved, " Likely pesticide poisoning" was the verdict from DDC .

Common symptom is relentless vomitting with NO OTHER SYMPTOMS

So ....

and what appears to be uncontrollable bowl movements.

....Nisa, I haven't seen this info ^ you have posted , please can you tell where are you getting it?

As far as I have read, the only concrete evidence of symptoms is vomitting , which is the connection to the 14 other known cases of death.

Also I must comment as young women are often on their periods ( about 20 % of the time ,) let us not rule out "blood" from that - when you're sick, and can't find tampons, as it the case often in Thailand, or too sick to see to your cleanliness, you may have blood under your fingernails.

Also those useless OB tampons that are often the only tampons that can be found and , have to be inserted with one's fingers. ( for you men who may have no idea about such things ...)

Too sick and weak to worry about washing up .. and you have" blood" under the fingernails. Touch your face, and you have a smear mark .

Menstrual fluid vs. blood can be easily ascertained..

I told you what happened to me and many others, and I didn't say they present themselves with dehydration.

Typically, the patient turns up complaining of prolonged vomiting, the runs, and headache with fever. The diagnosis will be made of gastro enteritis or acute gut infection, and the patient hooked up to the drip. The drip is commonly used out here to ward of dehydration which is actually the bigger danger than the infection itself, which as we know subsides within hours usually.

When the patient has recovered sufficiently to take in water, he is usually discharged with an antibiotic, and painkillers, and a few packets of ORS.

This is what happens.

Keep in mind it appears these girls appear to have made no attempt to get help or call a doctor. Yet there was bleeding, vomiting and what appears to be uncontrollable bowl movements. We can't believe everything we read as being completely factual or complete but if true, I can think of only a few plausible explanations for this given what we know ...

1) The illness and effects came on incredibly fast

2) They didn't call for help because they were afraid ... possibly because they took something illicit.

3) They thought they knew what was occurring and it would pass combined with them both not being people who generally seek medical help for an illness.

4) A combination of all 3

1 or 4 would seem the most plausible because even if 2 & 3 are true, one would care about the other enough to seek help for them once things got as bad as the image painted in the room. Incredibly fast would also explain why they appear to have both died or became incapacitated at the same time not being able to pick up the phone and call for help for the other.

Edited by StarFighter

ok, this one takes the bisquit so far...

10 black fingernails, because of ob tampons...

dying from menstruation would also explain the cramps...

don't twist and turn what what said.. no one is saying they died of menstruation. Just offering some insight on why blood could have been found here and there. You know.. things don't have to be only this way or that way. Not everything is black/white. In reality the world is full of shades of grey. Many times things all occur together. Seems folks have a very hard time with that concept.

Edited by Jayman

huh.. didn't a bunch of tourists die from overuse of pesticide in the hotel in Chang Mai? And I constantly hear of folks getting shot up there.

Note: I mentioned 'northernmost' Thailand - referring Chiang Rai and region. Comparing Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is like comparing a zoo bear with a coyote. In comparison to those two, Ko Phi Phi is like a sea turtle choking on plastic refuse.

Note: I mentioned 'northernmost' Thailand - referring Chiang Rai and region. Comparing Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is like comparing a zoo bear with a coyote. In comparison to those two, Ko Phi Phi is like a sea turtle choking on plastic refuse.

well.. for visitors.. chaing mai is in northern thailand... If you want to speak of a specif place then just say it. Thailand have 4 main regions. That is how many "tourists" know it. If you are trying to get your point out to tourists then you need to be more specific.

• Like 1

well.. for visitors.. chaing mai is in northern thailand... If you want to speak of a specif place then just say it. Thailand have 4 main regions. That is how many "tourists" know it. If you are trying to get your point out to tourists then you need to be more specific.

Thanks. I did. Plus, my message goes out not just to tourists, but also to Thais who may happen to visit the Phi Phi region. Poisoning can affect anyone - though from the info presented in this, and related cases, it looks as though pretty young women comprise the lion's share of those who get very sick or die. ...which harkens to the 'date-rape' theory.

I really wish investigators would take a close look at the possibilities that one or more preying men in that immediate region, are involved. There are ways to investigate that, without stepping on peoples' rights. I could make suggestions, but it would be like howling at the wind.

Edited by maidu