A Vehicle That Actually Has Suspension.

I know all you boy racers out there young and the young at heart will say ... keep it firm, feel the road, stability, safety and so on, but I'm old school, I come from a time when you could hit a 6 inch trench in the road or a broken tree branch and not even spill your beer. Im talking Cadillac Fleetwoods, Ford Fairlanes Chevrolet Impalas, And lets not just talk American here British Vauxhall Crestas, Viscounts. Zodiacs. Jaguars Australian Holden's.

Sure they wallowed around on the road, sure you couldn't go into a corner like a Formula 1 racing driver but they were comfortable, The point of all this nostalgia is every new car that I have been in here in Thailand SUV or Pick up has a bone jarring back breaking ride. what makes things worse is the state of the roads, road humps ( sleeping policemen ) every 50 yards or so pot holes so big you could loose a wheel in whats the point of performance suspension here ?

Anyone with 1.5 / 2 mil baht to spend on a new Vehicle here is going to end up either with a Fortuner with medieval cart springs on the rear or a D-Max pick up or similar with the same. Ok you could go for a Mitsubishi Pajero with coils on the back but the front end is as stiff as hell.

The only vehicles Ive been in over here that I would say were relatively comfortable were a very old Mitsubishi Grandis and a very old Toyota Hi Ace. Both using the long torsion bar suspension setup running the length of the vehicle, same system used of the old Renault cars.

Thing is I don't want to be driving a 20/30 year old car I want a 2012 car with descent suspension, I know I'm not alone in this as I have read countless complaints about it but there never seems to be an answer to it ?

Can anybody recommend a Car SUV or Pickup on sale now here in Thailand up to 2 mil baht that actually has some suspension on it.

Edited by undercover

Suspension is something else then driving a boat . A car is supposed to be on the road , a boat on the water. A F1 car has nothing to do with it because it is not nearly half of what are feeling now .

Edited by sezze

Second hand Merc, perhaps. biggrin.png

I've been on the lookout for a older 1996-97 Mercedes S600 V-12 for the last couple of years, exactly for the purpose that the OP is talking about, plus the addition of having the ponies under the hood to get you around most anything ahead of you without too much problem. Thing is I keep getting reminded about from people is that it's very difficult to find a good S600 or any good condition Merc for that matter that's 20+ years old that has not a nightmare of electrical and other age related issues. You can buy a newer model used Merc for around 2 mill, but not sure the newer ones are built as tough and I really like the looks of the older S's anyway.

I've been on the lookout for a older 1996-97 Mercedes S600 V-12 for the last couple of years, exactly for the purpose that the OP is talking about, plus the addition of having the ponies under the hood to get you around most anything ahead of you without too much problem. Thing is I keep getting reminded about from people is that it's very difficult to find a good S600 or any good condition Merc for that matter that's 20+ years old that has not a nightmare of electrical and other age related issues. You can buy a newer model used Merc for around 2 mill, but not sure the newer ones are built as tough and I really like the looks of the older S's anyway.

Merc is a Merc, go for it. Wish l could. sad.png

I am pretty sure that all sedans in this price class, starting from CAMRY over to TEANNA and entry level C-Class Benz have a decent suspension set up....not boat like, but ok travel.

If you want space than the Skoda Superb is not bad....

The new 508 is a bit over 2m but should be a decent enough drive as well....looks good, too.

Yes a Merc ? My only experience of Mercedes apart from a Unimog was a 300 SEL 3.5 V8.

I found the car to be beautifully made and everything high quality. everything worked. In my opinion that's when a Merc was a Merc. Amazingly thinking about it now the only reason I sold it was because after years of driving Jaguars I found the suspension and power steering too stiff biggrin.png I do not know what the ride or build quality is of a more modern Merc but I would imagine here in Thailand with the import tax you will not get much Merc for 2 mil baht ?

@ the op: which car would you buy back home now?

To give an exact car that I would buy now back in the UK is not possible as I have not kept up with new models for many years but I can guarantee it would be a second hand Jaguar or Range Rover wink.png

I have been searching for 2 years on the Thai car sites every day for a particular model Jaguar. The dealers seem to hold stock for ever but Taladrod have a constant turnover.

The model I wanted and eventually purchased is a X300 (X330) 1997 4 litre 33000 klm. Been only driven by chauffer and the past 7 years driven around a compound monthly just to keep seals etc in good shape.

The reason I suggest this model is that it has a remarkable reputation for reliability examples doing 400k miles in US.

It is the last of the Jaguar sixes and has the benefit of Fords huge investment. Has electronics but no where as complicated as current cars.

The 1998 V8 has several problems with timing chains among otherts, if not addressed in time the engine is a shattered mess beyond rebuilding. After 2002 they are much better.

Google AJ16 engine.

This is the model I suggest:

one2car.com/JAGUAR_SOVEREIGN/B27550114

and this is the vehicle I was going to buy before I found what I eventually purchased.

As TA will attest it is not V8 as I wanted but not a bad compromise.

Supercharged AJ16 is as quick as the 4Ltr supercharged V8 (XJR) and I am looking at a kit for this now.

In my opinion it is a better buy than either V12 Jag or Benz.

I have been searching for 2 years on the Thai car sites every day for a particular model Jaguar. The dealers seem to hold stock for ever but Taladrod have a constant turnover.

The model I wanted and eventually purchased is a X300 (X330) 1997 4 litre 33000 klm. Been only driven by chauffer and the past 7 years driven around a compound monthly just to keep seals etc in good shape.

The reason I suggest this model is that it has a remarkable reputation for reliability examples doing 400k miles in US.

It is the last of the Jaguar sixes and has the benefit of Fords huge investment. Has electronics but no where as complicated as current cars.

The 1998 V8 has several problems with timing chains among otherts, if not addressed in time the engine is a shattered mess beyond rebuilding. After 2002 they are much better.

Google AJ16 engine.

This is the model I suggest:

one2car.com/JAGUAR_SOVEREIGN/B27550114

and this is the vehicle I was going to buy before I found what I eventually purchased.

As TA will attest it is not V8 as I wanted but not a bad compromise.

Supercharged AJ16 is as quick as the 4Ltr supercharged V8 (XJR) and I am looking at a kit for this now.

In my opinion it is a better buy than either V12 Jag or Benz.

What a great car this X 300 is. looks like a modern version of a series 3 XJ6. it makes me happy to see Jaguar have come back to this smooth shape. Do you remember the replacement for the series 3 that was called the XJ 40 ? I remember going to the opening night and being very disappointed at that so called XJ 40. They REALLY messed that cat up with the combination of rounded body and crazy huge head lights and those square rear lights, even the 4 head light version never looked right and if memory serves me right the 4 head light model was bottom of the range. smile.png

A Fortuner with an Exo 4x4 rear coil conversion offers the ride that the OP is looking for.

This is very interesting spoonman. That sounds just what a Fortuner needs and should have had in the first place. Just one important question maybe somebody can answer. Legality ? I have always been told the reason a Fortuner has medieval leaf springs at the rear is that it would be illegal to fit coil springs like it is illegal to fit them to a pickup. the only pick up that was allowed to come into this country with coils on the rear was the Toyota Surf, I think it came from Australia ? I just wonder if the boys in brown were to stop you and find the spring conversion if they would want some substantial tea money ? not only that but if the boys down motor tax will actually pass it ?

A Fortuner with an Exo 4x4 rear coil conversion offers the ride that the OP is looking for.

This is very interesting spoonman. That sounds just what a Fortuner needs and should have had in the first place. Just one important question maybe somebody can answer. Legality ? I have always been told the reason a Fortuner has medieval leaf springs at the rear is that it would be illegal to fit coil springs like it is illegal to fit them to a pickup. the only pick up that was allowed to come into this country with coils on the rear was the Toyota Surf, I think it came from Australia ? I just wonder if the boys in brown were to stop you and find the spring conversion if they would want some substantial tea money ? not only that but if the boys down motor tax will actually pass it ?

Fortuner has coil springs at the rear. smile.png

XJ40 could'nt get any more depressing than that and as a bonus, "Those electrics".

The X300 I mention is a sublime cruiser with very reasonable fuel economy. Performance off the line is not great but it is a big car.

Once away say 3000rpm kick it down and she screams with pleasure and gives very good overtaking speeds in a very understated fashion.

The vehicle I mentioned advertised in One2car and mine are pretty well equipped with all Daimler goodies.

If I can get a supercharger kit it tick all the boxes for me.

If you want comfy spirited cruising for around 1m baht they are exceptional value.

LOL !!!

Well there you go, I assumed leaf springs and OP was complaining about the leaf springs. Exo 4x4 do list a coil conversion but maybe it is an upgrade.

I have driven a ford Everest with the coil conversion done and the difference from a leaf spring vehicle was like day and night.

@ Undercover, I don't think the conversion is illegal (Maybe needs engineer approval) but the reason for leaf sprung SUV's here in Thailand was to do with taxes is my understanding.

Edited by Spoonman

I am pretty sure that all sedans in this price class, starting from CAMRY over to TEANNA and entry level C-Class Benz have a decent suspension set up....not boat like, but ok travel.

If you want space than the Skoda Superb is not bad....

The new 508 is a bit over 2m but should be a decent enough drive as well....looks good, too.

A Lincoln Town Car driver once told me the Citroen DS19 was the finest car in the world because it had the lowest frequency suspension. The OP seems to have a similar perspective, but a 2012 model under 2M baht which rides like a Cadillac is hard to find.

The 508 is a good thought if it rides like the older models from Peugeot, pity about the price. The recently superseded Camry had a fairly soft ride, don't know about the new model. C class suspension is good but not particularly soft.

For SUV's under 2M baht, the Captiva has a smoother ride than Pajero Sport or Fortuner, at least in standard form. Spoonman's Exo idea is interesting, the Exo web site mentions air suspension and sway bar mods. The High vehicles with springs and dampers are set for a soft ride would need serious sway bars to control body roll. The land yachts the OP mentioned were bad enough and they sat low. I wonder how much Exo could soften the ride of a 2WD pickup with normal ride height if load capacity was not a concern.

Hi Topcroc. Your rambling was much appreciated I have found every comment here interesting, I do not necessarily need to have a new car a good second hand one would be fine I just don't really fancy driving round in a 30 / 40 year old land yacht ( Space ships ) we used to call them just to have a comfortable ride biggrin.png

Also the comment on the Fortuner it must be the latest model on sale now with the coils as the old model was leaf. or cart springs as many call them.

The comment about the Citroen DS 9 ..... Now you are REALLY talking ride quality. and strange that that car should come into conversation here as it is one of my all time favorite cars.

Years back when I was a teenager I lived for a while in France and the DS 9 was the car I was taken to work in, some of those pot holes in southern France you could have lost an onion seller along with his bicycle in, we used to hit those pot holes at around 80kmph racing to work in the morning as we were always late and in a hurry, the car never shook, there was no feed back on the wheel, the only reason you knew you had gone over a hole was if you had seen it coming. the DS9 takes comfort to another level thumbsup.gif Sadly its so old now, it was a complicated car in its day just imagine being stuck on the side of a back road in Thailand's burning heat hoping a retired French Citroen mechanic happens to drive past biggrin.png

LOL !!!

Well there you go, I assumed leaf springs and OP was complaining about the leaf springs. Exo 4x4 do list a coil conversion but maybe it is an upgrade.

I have driven a ford Everest with the coil conversion done and the difference from a leaf spring vehicle was like day and night.

@ Undercover, I don't think the conversion is illegal (Maybe needs engineer approval) but the reason for leaf sprung SUV's here in Thailand was to do with taxes is my understanding.

Do you know if a coil spring conversion is available for the Ranger. I have a 2004. 4 door. Thanks

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Do you know if a coil spring conversion is available for the Ranger. I have a 2004. 4 door. Thanks

Yep, they have a kit for the Ranger.

http://www.exo4x4.com/bizCommerce/manageMain.do?targetAction=productList.detail&productID=FR0001

http://www.exo4x4.com/bizCommerce/manageMain.do?targetAction=productList.detail&productID=FR0002

Yep, they have a kit for the Ranger.

http://www.exo4x4.com/bizCommerce/manageMain.do?targetAction=productList.detail&productID=FR0001

http://www.exo4x4.com/bizCommerce/manageMain.do?targetAction=productList.detail&productID=FR0002

Thanks

LOL !!!

The only SUV with leaf springs is a D max with a caravan on the back they call an MU7. whistling.gif

Have they replaced the Everest yet?

Not yet, it still has Leaf springs and am 99% sure the new one (based on T6 Ranger) will also have leaf springs.

We do a lot of suspension development at work and can honestly say a leaf sprung pickup can be made to both handle and ride nicely without compromising load carrying ability. they also stop well with 350mm front discs and Harrop 4 pot calipers.

Have they replaced the Everest yet?

Not yet, it still has Leaf springs and am 99% sure the new one (based on T6 Ranger) will also have leaf springs.

We do a lot of suspension development at work and can honestly say a leaf sprung pickup can be made to both handle and ride nicely without compromising load carrying ability. they also stop well with 350mm front discs and Harrop 4 pot calipers.

I want mine to be more comfortable not that bothered about load. But I suppose 5 people and a bike. So about 600 -700kg load. 2004 ranger 4 door. Any tips :D

• 2 months later...