International Driver License

Wolf

<snip> an International Driving Licence/Permit (which is required by law in Thailand, but not in Malaysia).

Why do you think an IDP is required by law in Thailand? Would be very interested in your source for this information.

<snip> an International Driving Licence/Permit (which is required by law in Thailand, but not in Malaysia).

Why do you think an IDP is required by law in Thailand? Would be very interested in your source for this information.

"An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence......."

Thai consul UK should know the rules http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/download.aspx?id=4

"An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons wishing to drive in Thailand and must be accompanied by the Driving Licence issued to them in their country of nationality or residence. A foreigner is allowed to drive in Thailand for up to 6 months on an International Driving Licence......."

Thai consul UK should know the rules http://www.thaiconsu...nload.aspx?id=4

Thanks for that confirmation. On the first page of the International Drivers Licence there a list of countries in which it is recognised, and tells you in which countries it is required by law. Malaysia recognises it but doesn't legally require it, Thailand legally requires it. Without it, have a road accident in Thailand and your insurance company will let you sail down the river for not complying with local law.

Thanks, that is what many people claim. But as we all know the Thai consulates give out lots of misinformation. I was hoping for an official website, like from DLT or something like that. I think though no-one can come uip with the official website or law which states this, simply because this is one of the urban myths about Thailand.

Thanks, that is what many people claim. But as we all know the Thai consulates give out lots of misinformation. I was hoping for an official website, like from DLT or something like that. I think though no-one can come uip with the official website or law which states this, simply because this is one of the urban myths about Thailand.

Agree stevie a site that posts a document 4 years old is not a reliable source and would not rely on them knowing the up to date rules, consul or embassy.

Only being in Thailand will you get the current requirements whistling.gif by going to a Thai DLT office, there you will you get the info you require and that said it is always best to get a Thai driving license.

As for the " An International Driving Licence is required for most foreign persons " total BS,

I have never had a problem with getting Thai licenses with just the old UK paper type and now just a UK photo card license, just re-newed my 5 year Thai licenses, in & out in just over an hour & half no tests.smile.png

Here's a strange incident though at our local DLT my friend from Oz showed them his Oz photo car driving license and they would not give him a Thai license without going through the full test procedures, maybe different rules for different country's.blink.pngermm.gif

Edited by Kwasaki