What'S Up At California Wow? Doors Closed...

tropo

I personally don't know how their business models can work. I am not privy to what they pay in rent but a similar size space at AVE Pattaya rents for about 120k per month, now given their open use of electricity ie air con, escalators, lighting, machines etc their electric bill would a assume be 100k plus per month, then their water bill which is supplied and paid direct to Siam Futures, probably another 30k plus given showers etc, staffing costs, not sure how many staff they have but let's assume basic 10-15k each per month, advertising materials, etc etc etc.

Now I am not sure what a membership costs but how many memberships would you have to sell each month to break even.

Now let's assume 50% stay committed and returned regularly to train, at what point would they gym become overcrowded that selling more memberships would not be feasible without expansion.

Questions about these types of businesses I have always wondered and probably explains why so many fall over.

Breaking it down like that you'd wonder how they managed to stay open for nearly 5 years. (I think they opened in October 2007)

Edited by tropo

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't know how their business models can work. I am not privy to what they pay in rent but a similar size space at AVE Pattaya rents for about 120k per month, now given their open use of electricity ie air con, escalators, lighting, machines etc their electric bill would a assume be 100k plus per month, then their water bill which is supplied and paid direct to Siam Futures, probably another 30k plus given showers etc, staffing costs, not sure how many staff they have but let's assume basic 10-15k each per month, advertising materials, etc etc etc.

Now I am not sure what a membership costs but how many memberships would you have to sell each month to break even.

Now let's assume 50% stay committed and returned regularly to train, at what point would they gym become overcrowded that selling more memberships would not be feasible without expansion.

Questions about these types of businesses I have always wondered and probably explains why so many fall over.

120k per month in rent sounds very, very cheap compared other rents in The Avenue. I know when the restaurant next to McD's was for sale, the rent was either 75k or 90k (I cannot remember which, sorry) and Dr Fish (or whatever the name is) was paying about 30k per month for maybe their space.

CAWOW Sukhumvit 23 was closed without prior warning today, suppose to be open as usual today but the shutters were down. This branch hasn't had any previous closures until today, a member of staff did come out and tell me there was a issue with their power and they hoped to be open on Monday... heard that one before!

That just leaves one branch of CAWOW open in BKK, Siam Paragon. Have to say I am starting to give up all hope of any reopens.

I keep telling everyone it is not the owners (Siam Futures) that have cut their power it is PEA themselves so all this talk on their websites and signs posted on walls at their premises saying they are taking court action against Siam Futures is wrong they would need to take action against PEA.

I would think even if they had paid their utility bills, as building owner the landlord would still have the capability to interrupt the power supply to whichever premises they wanted for rental arrears, bad debt etc

Major Cineplex Group Plc and four other mall operators - Siam Future Property Co, Siam Future Development Public Co, Petchpinklao Co, and Ratchayothin Realty Co, defended that they have every right to cut the power supply to some of California Wow Xperience (CAWOW) clubs.

In a joint statement, Major Cineplex said that CAWOW has failed to honour the rental contracts, unable to pay the rents and utilities fees.

The statement was issued as CAWOW, a fitness-club operator, is prepared to file lawsuits, pressuring for damage claims of Bt370 million from the five mall operators, following the power cut-off. CAWOW said that the landlords’ actions damaged its business and that of its spa sub-tenant.

Major Cineplex Group, a former large shareholder in CAWOW, has majority ownership of three of the named landlords, and according to the Stock Exchange of Thailand website, also owns 23.32 per cent of a fourth landlord, Siam Future Development.

In the statement, Major Cineplex also said that the five mall operators have paid utilities bills worth over Bt50 million on behalf of CAWOW. As such, actions to limit damage do not violate the laws.

All the mall operators also apologised to CAWOW members for the inconvenience.

At the end of 2011, CAWOW which operated 10 branches had 144,467 members.

Major Cineplex Group Plc and four other mall operators - Siam Future Property Co, Siam Future Development Public Co, Petchpinklao Co, and Ratchayothin Realty Co, defended that they have every right to cut the power supply to some of California Wow Xperience (CAWOW) clubs.

In a joint statement, Major Cineplex said that CAWOW has failed to honour the rental contracts, unable to pay the rents and utilities fees.

The statement was issued as CAWOW, a fitness-club operator, is prepared to file lawsuits, pressuring for damage claims of Bt370 million from the five mall operators, following the power cut-off. CAWOW said that the landlords’ actions damaged its business and that of its spa sub-tenant.

Major Cineplex Group, a former large shareholder in CAWOW, has majority ownership of three of the named landlords, and according to the Stock Exchange of Thailand website, also owns 23.32 per cent of a fourth landlord, Siam Future Development.

In the statement, Major Cineplex also said that the five mall operators have paid utilities bills worth over Bt50 million on behalf of CAWOW. As such, actions to limit damage do not violate the laws.

All the mall operators also apologised to CAWOW members for the inconvenience.

At the end of 2011, CAWOW which operated 10 branches had 144,467 members.

Correct they stopped pay their bills for them to the utilities companies.

I checked out Fairtex today

http://www.fairtexpattaya.com/

My thoughts

1. Gym is in the hotel, not the first building

2. Door Staff, front staff very friendly

3. Air Conditioning in the main gym area

4. Had a nice selection of Free Weights

5. Cardio and fitness machines I would say are older, not Wow Standards some are newer then others didnt excite me

6. Have a giant swimming ppol which is very nice

7. They have mua thai boxing, racket courts, badminton etc

8. they have a spinning class but i didnt go to see the room

IF you join the gym for a year (just the gym) they have a promotion at about almost 9000 baht, but you just get the gym, if you want the whole deal you got to pay extra, prices are on the website though talking to them they are offering discounts so you can probably get it a litlte cheaper

The gym in my opinion I like better then Tony's because it is all in one spot but it does not compare to WOW for me, but it does have AC which is nice.. IF you want to check it out the girl at the front (who is a knockout by the way) says you can try first time for free, but after that it is 300 baht a day or 500 baht a day if you want to use the swimming pool and stuff as well.. little pricy to keep that up for to long

It is easy to find, head towards nakula on 2nd heading in from pattaya, when you hit round about , go around and go straight up like your heading towards the highway.. its just on your left a few meters up

I am not a body building guy, I am not a super cardio guy. I like to do a combination of both, so I like my Free Weights, A few MAchines and a couple cardio... it didnt blow me away like I was hoping, but not bad.

I am not a body building guy, I am not a super cardio guy. I like to do a combination of both, so I like my Free Weights, A few MAchines and a couple cardio... it didnt blow me away like I was hoping, but not bad.

Irrespective of the equipment, you may not enjoy it much if it's busy in there because it doesn't require many people in there to feel crowded. You'll spend a lot of time waiting for stuff.

Irrespective of the equipment, you may not enjoy it much if it's busy in there because it doesn't require many people in there to feel crowded. You'll spend a lot of time waiting for stuff.

I certainly hope CW re-opens for you guys because the Fairtex excerise area has no waiting now even though there is not multiple stations/equipment and cannot absorb a lot of CW members. The busy areas are the boxing rings. I would say there are about 15 machines for cardio and the max I've seen used at one time is 6. They really take care of the equipment and everthing is wiped down continually. If something breaks it is fixed quickly......a rarity in Thailand.

My lifetime renewal is due soon, should I try to contact them in case they reopen ?

Yes, because if they open again they'll have a good reason to cancel your membership.

So a business that does not pay it's rent or utility bills? Doesn't seem like a going concern to me. I wonder who else has not been paid.

Yet they did go for nearly 5 years. Go figure.....

I was in Centara for something else today and passed by their gym to check it out. They're not heavy on free weight equipment, they have some but it is obviously not the priority for this gym. Lots and lots of unused machines though. I took a couple of pictures - see below.

Individual membership 27.200/year, couples 37,400/year. This includes free use of the gym, tennis and the outdoor pool facility - probably the most beautiful adventure pool in Pattaya.

The small print also says the membership give 50% discount on room rates among others, so at Centara published room rates the membership card could earn itself in on a two week holiday.

Anyway, way over my budget, but for someone with the money and wish to pamper himself I thought it looked really nice.

post-1539-0-19161400-1342786877_thumb.jp

post-1539-0-74118500-1342786907_thumb.jp post-1539-0-43202700-1342786925_thumb.jp post-1539-0-47776000-1342786942_thumb.jp

Well I've spotted my favourite cardio machine in your photos - the Cybex Arc Trainer. They've got 3. Do they have any free weights or dumbbells - I can't spot any in the photos. The machine line up looks good.

I know I should have checked but I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't think about it. If you look carefully at the first picture, right in the middle, down the back, there's an A rack with some weights, but not much details. Maybe call and ask them, their phone number is on the flyer I scanned smile.png

Thanx mate, pics appreciated.

A bit too far for me , it seems this gym has the best equipment in pattaya now.

Edited by oswald67

Perhaps we can put an end to all this gym talk if you just do what I do,you dont need a gym.Five years ago,when i lived up the jungle I weighed 120;lbs.A buffalo had a calf,I hoisted on to my shoulders and ran around the paddock. Ive done that every day for 5 years, the calf now weight a coupla ton.Im now 300lbs of solid muscle. Aveagoodweekend.

• Like 1

I checked out Fairtex today

http://www.fairtexpattaya.com/

My thoughts

1. Gym is in the hotel, not the first building

2. Door Staff, front staff very friendly

3. Air Conditioning in the main gym area

4. Had a nice selection of Free Weights

5. Cardio and fitness machines I would say are older, not Wow Standards some are newer then others didnt excite me

6. Have a giant swimming ppol which is very nice

7. They have mua thai boxing, racket courts, badminton etc

8. they have a spinning class but i didnt go to see the room

IF you join the gym for a year (just the gym) they have a promotion at about almost 9000 baht, but you just get the gym, if you want the whole deal you got to pay extra, prices are on the website though talking to them they are offering discounts so you can probably get it a litlte cheaper

The gym in my opinion I like better then Tony's because it is all in one spot but it does not compare to WOW for me, but it does have AC which is nice.. IF you want to check it out the girl at the front (who is a knockout by the way) says you can try first time for free, but after that it is 300 baht a day or 500 baht a day if you want to use the swimming pool and stuff as well.. little pricy to keep that up for to long

It is easy to find, head towards nakula on 2nd heading in from pattaya, when you hit round about , go around and go straight up like your heading towards the highway.. its just on your left a few meters up

Thanx for info, well 9,000 baht a year is not bad... Problem is equipment , toys not machines...That gym is good for relaxing not training and anyway too far.

Edited by oswald67

Anyway it was in the air, since 2 years ago. I used to train at CA WOW almost everyday , did the life membership 3 years ago. The company was in debt up to their necks and I suspect this is the reason about their easy subscriptions campaign , exspecially the last period.

Bet that soon another company will replace the gym, forcing the old members (like me) to re-buy new subscriptions... :-(

Thanx for info, well 9,000 baht a year is not bad... Problem is equipment , toys not machines...That gym is good for relaxing not training and anyway too far.

Re: Fairtex

I beg to differ. The equipment in there is good and you can have a great workout - as I did a few weeks ago. The only problem is that it is small and could get crowded after 5pm. When I was there between 3pm and 5pm on a Saturday there was only a few people in there before it started getting busy just before 5pm. Although I haven't trained later in the day/evening, I took the word of a member who told me it gets too crowded later on.

It's likely with the demise of California Wow they will get a lot of new members.

I would recommend this gym to anyone who can train earlier in the day. I'm still considering it as a place to join.

Edited by tropo

Re: Fairtex

I beg to differ. The equipment in there is good and you can have a great workout - as I did a few weeks ago. The only problem is that it is small and could get crowded after 5pm. When I was there between 3pm and 5pm on a Saturday there was only a few people in there before it started getting busy just before 5pm. Although I haven't trained later in the day/evening, I took the word of a member who told me it gets too crowded later on.

It's likely with the demise of California Wow they will get a lot of new members.

I would recommend this gym to anyone who can train earlier in the day. I'm still considering it as a place to join.

Do they have free weight leg press and squat ?

I certainly hope CW re-opens for you guys because the Fairtex excerise area has no waiting now even though there is not multiple stations/equipment and cannot absorb a lot of CW members. The busy areas are the boxing rings. I would say there are about 15 machines for cardio and the max I've seen used at one time is 6. They really take care of the equipment and everthing is wiped down continually. If something breaks it is fixed quickly......a rarity in Thailand.

Unfortunately, Fairtex is busy in the evening 5pm -8pm.... Day time no problem. Cardio selection is small.

Unfortunately, Fairtex is busy in the evening 5pm -8pm.... Day time no problem. Cardio selection is small.

Does Fairtex offer yoga classes??

I was in Centara for something else today and passed by their gym to check it out. They're not heavy on free weight equipment, they have some but it is obviously not the priority for this gym. Lots and lots of unused machines though. I took a couple of pictures - see below.

Individual membership 27.200/year, couples 37,400/year. This includes free use of the gym, tennis and the outdoor pool facility - probably the most beautiful adventure pool in Pattaya.

The small print also says the membership give 50% discount on room rates among others, so at Centara published room rates the membership card could earn itself in on a two week holiday.

Anyway, way over my budget, but for someone with the money and wish to pamper himself I thought it looked really nice.

post-1539-0-19161400-1342786877_thumb.jp

post-1539-0-74118500-1342786907_thumb.jp post-1539-0-43202700-1342786925_thumb.jp post-1539-0-47776000-1342786942_thumb.jp

Well I've spotted my favourite cardio machine in your photos - the Cybex Arc Trainer. They've got 3. Do they have any free weights or dumbbells - I can't spot any in the photos. The machine line up looks good.

I know I should have checked but I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't think about it. If you look carefully at the first picture, right in the middle, down the back, there's an A rack with some weights, but not much details. Maybe call and ask them, their phone number is on the flyer I scanned smile.png

Thanx mate, pics appreciated.

A bit too far for me , it seems this gym has the best equipment in pattaya now.

Just a follow up here. All the equipment is brand new Life Fitness stuff. Dumbbells up to 30kg, Fixed weight barbells up to 30kg. Smith Machine. No free adjustable barbells or a squat rack but lots of good machines. Cardio machines - fantastic.

Apparently friends who join together can get the "couple's rate" at 37,400. That's a saving of 8500 baht each.

• Like 1