Dad Suggests Coverup In Daughters' Thailand Deaths

webfact

Dad suggests coverup in daughters' Thailand deaths

PIERRE-OLIVIER ZAPPA, QMI AGENCY

sisters.jpeg

Audrey and Noemi Belanger. (HANDOUT)

PHI PHI ISLAND: -- A small-town grocer who lost both of his daughters on a disastrous vacation to Thailand earlier this month has accused Thai authorities of covering up the true circumstances of their deaths.

Carl Belanger, who will bury Noemi, 26, and Audrey, 20, on Saturday, made the accusation during an emotional interview with QMI Agency on Tuesday.

A maid found the sisters' bodies in their hotel room on June 15 on Phi Phi island, a popular tourist location south of Bangkok.

The sisters were students at Laval University in Quebec City. They worked at their father's grocery store in their hometown of Pohenegamook, about 200 km northeast of Quebec City.

Thai officials speculated the women likely died of food poisoning, but Carl says the Thai autopsy and the actions of hotel staff were suspicious.

He told QMI that it took too long to discover the bodies and to examine them, and he said police didn't keep him informed about their progress.

"The authorities say they found the bodies 12 hours after their death. According to our calculations it was 48 hours," he said in French.

Subsequent reports indicated hotel surveillance video shows a man leading the women to a room.

A source says police in Thailand are looking for two Portuguese men who were guests at the hotel, but that both have since left the country.

Despite his grief and frustration, Belanger praised the work of Canadian Embassy officials who he said repatriated his daughters' bodies quickly.

The bodies were examined at a laboratory in Montreal and have since been given back to the family. Autopsy results have yet to be released.

Belanger admits he had concerns about his daughters' trip to Thailand and Vietnam despite the fact Noemi was an experienced traveller. He said he expressed his worries to his daughters the last time he contacted them.

"I was dreading Thailand," he said. "(I told them) they should end that trip."

He said Noemi had studied in China for three months. She also took a psychology course in Paris and had also travelled to Mexico, England and all across Canada.

The young women spoke with their parents every second day during their trip to Thailand.

"The week of the tragedy, the last contact we had with them was Monday night," he said. "After that, no more news. My wife kept saying, 'Carl, this is bothering me.' Then we received word of their deaths Saturday morning."

His voice cracking, he read Audrey's final letter in which she praised her parents.

"First off, we take a moment to thank you for having brought us into this world in Canada, for giving us good values, for giving us the passion to travel, and especially to just for having been our parents. "

Audrey ended her letter with words of love that have comforted the grieving family.

"I love you very, very much, say hi to the family for us."

Source: http://www.torontosu...thailand-deaths

-- TORONTO SUN 2012-06-27

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Condolences to the family, no parent should outlive their kids.

I can already see the thought process of the authorities though....two foreigners, they're gone, so there's nothing we can do now, back to drinking. We say 12 hours so it looks like we were really doing our job, and not checking out girls in bikinis. Anything to put the blame on someone else. That's the saddest thing of all, save face now, more innocent tourists pay the price later.

• Like 1

One post and an associated reply has been removed from view.

Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations.

Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.

Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.

31) All members are not allowed to quote news articles or material from bangkokpost.com or phuketwan inside topics on thaivisa.com. Posts containing quotes will be deleted from the forum. Links referring back to the sites are also not allowed and will be deleted.

Thai police are looking for two Portuguese men who have left the country??

How did the Thai police reach this conclusion about the nationality?? One would presume it was through passports - which have a name, so why not give the Canadian police and the family the names so the suspects can be questioned and either arrested or discounted from the inquiry? It seems as so often is the case that the authorities create an unprovable scenario and then walk away.

Despite what is says on the birth certificates of all Thai police men I am convinced they all have the maturity and professionalism of a 14 year old boy.

• Like 1

Now why would he suggest a cover up?

Surely, no never here in Thailand where the people are so honest (and they have such beautiful smiles) the police so efficient, the list of superlatives is infinite "well isn't it"?

It won't bring his daughters back but he is probably a lot closer to the truth than he realises.

• Like 1

terrible tragedy indeed , maybe the father because of extreme pain and sadness is assuming some facts , I think the report of the Canadian autopsy might give more answers , what about the Thai autopsy , what about the report ? Even if the Thais want to cover up to avoid bad image in tourism industry, its in their interest too , to bring the truth , as an image of ineffective police is sometime more harmful . Lets wait for those autopsy reports . I feel really sorry for those 2 girls , nobody deserve to die at this age and far from home and family.

• Like 2

I offer my humble rest-in-peace to those two beautiful young ladies now they are in Heaven. My sincere condolences to Mr.Belanger, I can not imagine what he is going through and I hope his friends and family will support him through this terrible time.

I agree with Mr.Belanger that the official story has been one lie after another, and also I condemn the Thai authorities who have done nothing but speculate and delay, even saying the girls died from taking drugs such as magic mushrooms and drinking alcohol with prescription drugs. Shame on those people making public statements like that. For shame.

I posted something similar... Speculating they died from magic mushrooms (which is virtually impossible) or from combining paracetamol and alcohol. Simply shocking how dumb these suggestions are...

Of course Thai authorities will do everything in their power to cover up anything that would harm the tourist industry...that's the way of Thailand....miracle Thailand!!!

I think it's a far broader issue than just protecting the tourism industry. Since I can't make "blanket statements" about Thais here at Thaivisa, I'll digress...

• Like 1

Sorry but if the two guys have left he country then they know who they are ...right ..or am I missing something ...

Interpol ......IMO

Hey they may be guilty of something, or know something but we are just barking at the stars again.

If you were in Thailand and this happend and you were those guys, would you not get the heck out of the country (!) and fast before you are served up on a platter, wether guilty or just an innocent bystander?

I would not say a word until I got back to Portugal!!

• Like 1

Thai police are looking for two Portuguese men who have left the country??

How did the Thai police reach this conclusion about the nationality?? One would presume it was through passports - which have a name, so why not give the Canadian police and the family the names so the suspects can be questioned and either arrested or discounted from the inquiry? It seems as so often is the case that the authorities create an unprovable scenario and then walk away.

Despite what is says on the birth certificates of all Thai police men I am convinced they all have the maturity and professionalism of a 14 year old boy.

We should not jump to conclusions about the two Portugese men. In other articles that I have read, the police said that the two men were NOT suspects. They were staying at the same hotel and spent some time with the two girls on what sadly turned out to be their last night.

The police wanted to interview the men with a view to understanding what the girls ate, drank and their plans for later.

Condolances to Mr Belanger and his family. So sad.

• Like 2

Every time a tragedy like this happens the Thai authorities fail to rise to the occasion.

Visitors to Thailand should be made more aware at home of the obstacles and problems that arise if anything goes wrong whilst they are visiting this country.

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1