Dad Suggests Coverup In Daughters' Thailand Deaths

webfact

To set the record straight; the bodies were not supposed to be embalmed. Those were the instructions relayed by the embassy. The autopises were performed at the Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale in Montreal. It will be several weeks for results to be given to Dr. Roussel, who will then interpret the findings. Should she require assistance, she has access to many qualified experts in the region, as well as to the advanced partner labs around the world.

Please be patient. The Quebec coroner's office will get to the bottom of this. And the coroner is well aware of Thai practices as this is not the first suspicious case from the "developing world" to show up at the lab.

Am I going blind here, where is the reference to the bodies being embalmed coming from?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To set the record straight; the bodies were not supposed to be embalmed. Those were the instructions relayed by the embassy. The autopises were performed at the Laboratoire de Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale in Montreal. It will be several weeks for results to be given to Dr. Roussel, who will then interpret the findings. Should she require assistance, she has access to many qualified experts in the region, as well as to the advanced partner labs around the world.

Please be patient. The Quebec coroner's office will get to the bottom of this. And the coroner is well aware of Thai practices as this is not the first suspicious case from the "developing world" to show up at the lab.

Am I going blind here, where is the reference to the bodies being embalmed coming from?

I think you will find Geriatrickid replying to Post 9 with reference to embalming.

Sincere condolances to mr Belanger and his family. I cannot begin to think what they are going through. The situation in Thailand is really becoming worrying.Muggings stabbings so called suicides and of course the worst possible Murders. The Thai authorities really need to start getting a grip on the situation.Instead of covering up it they should be out getting rid of the scum responsible.. We are hearing it every day now its doing more harm than good covering up the situation.

I am glad I have left now. My son wanted to go to Phucket for a break but I have told him to give it a miss. I will definately think twice about coming back.

• Like 1

Yes sincere condolences on this tragic event.

Now we wait and see what the Canadian authorities conclude.

When that happens will the results then be compared to the results from the Thai authorities?

Will these be released i wonder?

I am so concerned about this! I have my own personal story of poisioning in Thailand this year. I have just recovered from major stomach surgery after a trip to Thailand to visit my wife (soon to be ex) and her family during Songkrahn. The lower half of my stomach and half of my liver has been removed to combat a perforated peptic ulcer. Both my kidneys were damaged with one of them completely destroyed.

A few days after arriving in Thailand I fell ill with blood from both my mouth and backside and yet i was left helpless in a small room while my wife and her family were busy celebrating Songkrahn. Eventually i escaped in disgust to the airport and returned home where i received support and medical help from my friends and loved ones (luckily i still have some after my wife's antics in the neighborhood where i live).

Anyway, after the operation was completed the pathology report is showng some strange results. Poison is suspected I hope they find the result before I run out of money. I have been told by investigators for my lawyer that proving that I was poisoned in Thailand will be next to impossible for a foreigner which i find sad. I wonder how many foreigners are suffering their wives without even knowing it.

The Chinese authorities (where i currently live) have decided to take some action but are waiting for a response. I have been told that i cannot stop the action of the police here but i am concerned for what might happen to my two children if some kind of investigation goes on in Thailand. For now, I just want peace recovery and rest from the trauma and to count myself lucky that I even got medical help.

The most worrying thing is the increase in reported poison related or stomach related incidents in Thailand there are now.... Is Thailand becoming the hub of poisoners?

What you're rightfully discussing is a very sensitive topic here in Thailand. Poisoning is the prefered method of killing spouses and even unwanted children in Thailand.'

Thai's dispose of husbands and wives using the 'slow kill' method of putting unauthorised prescription pills into coffee,beer,tea etc. every day and evening during meals. Many drug stores sell powerful drugs-under the table- that can rot your kidneys and liver. Police turn a blind eye to it. Many katoeys hang around these drug stores just over the river in west BKK.

Many farangs will have been killed throughout provincial Thailand (isan) by Thai wives using this method. Body cremated ...end of story.

If your children are still in Thailand and your suspicious of your ex wife then get the kids the hell out of there ASAP....no joking.

Angry and jealous Thai women DO poison children expecially if they're farangs.

• Like 1

Of course Thai authorities will do everything in their power to cover up anything that would harm the tourist industry...that's the way of Thailand....miracle Thailand!!!

Total rubbish.

Firstly, although of course this is extremely tragic for the girls parents, why is the father making accusations that the Thai authorities are covering up the actual cause of death when the Canadian coroner hasn’t even issued the results as yet?

Surely the time to make such statements is when the autopsy reports are completed.

Also, I have stayed and still do from time to time at many hotels all over Thailand. I can tell you that maids and cleaning staff would rarely disturb guests if they think they are still inside their rooms. This is standard practice and there is nothing unusual about staff not entering hotel rooms if occupied. So nothing suspicious regarding the time delay in finding the girls bodies at all and I would also dispute the 48-hour time body discovery period as described by the father.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I have children of my own and really feel hurt for the parents, but we must deal with actual facts here and not speculations and accusations that so far are completely unfounded.

• Like 2

I have been to Thailand so many times I always worried about the mosquito's and never thought twice about the food and food poisoning. I hope thy find out what was in the food those girls were so young and lovely. I feel so sad for the family and friends God bless them.

Every time a tragedy like this happens the Thai authorities fail to rise to the occasion.

Visitors to Thailand should be made more aware at home of the obstacles and problems that arise if anything goes wrong whilst they are visiting this country.

Very, very sad for the parents to lose their loved ones. FYI the Canadian government travel advisory URL for Thailand is:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/report_rapport-eng.asp?id=290000

However, I think we must trust the Canadian pathologists to come up with an accurate report and cause of death...

From there, investigations can continue.

are you saying, the canadians have to perform the full autopsy on the disinfected and enbalmed bodies, and then thai authorities will accept and follow up on it?

sounds rather funny, doesnt it?

more likely there just occured two more "unexplained" deaths (on phi phi)... unexplained, because thailand refuses to explain them...

yes, the hotel has certainly something to hide, as its story doesnt add up...

when the maid knocks and nobody opens, she does open the door... thats everywhere the same...

and the maids do have a master key ready all the time... i have never seen anything else throughout asia nor europe...

who knows, if the rooms wasnt "made up" already, before the police arrived on friday?

The bodies were examined at a laboratory in Montreal and have since been given back to the family. Autopsy results have yet to be released.

Perhaps you should read it again? I think you missed something...

Of course Thai authorities will do everything in their power to cover up anything that would harm the tourist industry...that's the way of Thailand....miracle Thailand!!!

Total rubbish.

Firstly, although of course this is extremely tragic for the girls parents, why is the father making accusations that the Thai authorities are covering up the actual cause of death when the Canadian coroner hasn’t even issued the results as yet?

Surely the time to make such statements is when the autopsy reports are completed.

Also, I have stayed and still do from time to time at many hotels all over Thailand. I can tell you that maids and cleaning staff would rarely disturb guests if they think they are still inside their rooms. This is standard practice and there is nothing unusual about staff not entering hotel rooms if occupied. So nothing suspicious regarding the time delay in finding the girls bodies at all and I would also dispute the 48-hour time body discovery period as described by the father.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I have children of my own and really feel hurt for the parents, but we must deal with actual facts here and not speculations and accusations that so far are completely unfounded.

Au contraire, It is normal practise for maids to enter a room if there is no answer and no 'do not disturb' sign in use. Staff are generally told to enter, if for no other reason, to check that the guests are still actually in residence. I also stay in hotels frequently throughout Thailand and beyond and have had maids enter on numerous occasions occasionally with embarrassing results.

• Like 2

my heartfelt condolences go out to the dad and other family members and friends of the two young women.

My gut feeling remains; this tragedy could have been the result of a 'mickey' or date-rape drug gone fatally bad. Authorities should be doing a thorough investigation of places and people who may have had an involvement, or known something. Knowing the prowess-level of Thai investigators, I doubt enough is being done. Objective diligence and hard-nosed detective work is needed. Not just for the two women who were ordinarily at their peak of their health, but for prior and future folks who may succumb to same.

if they died from food poisening, is it not possible to ask for statistics in the local hospital how many people go there each day/week/month and maybe close the island from public as this is a dangerous thread?

but thailand, the land of smiles, will think about their own benefits and just discount this as "an accident" to not lose any face/income/..., i guess

/quote

If you consider that Thai women, particularly the ones from Isaan, are into the wholesale poisoning of their farang spouses and offspring, get back under the bridge!

/quote

I thought the time honored means of disposing of unwanted farang husbands is to attempt to shoot them with an ancient musket, and failing that, beat them to death, and feed the remains to the tigers on the Royal preserve.

True story by the way...

Today I don't think that there is any poison that can get past forensics if the body remains intact, embalming or otherwise.

They were poisoned--and in my book, it was intentional. The reason does not need to be at all rational, look at the two who stabbed the Australian travel agent to death...over $10.

Yet millions travel to Thailand, and enjoy themselves, and are treated respectfully, and honorably each year. The saddest part here is the media or whomever disparaged the young ladies with insane stories of ibuprofin or psylocybin mushrooms--that part is simply repugnant.

I believe that in this case, the results will be given out to the public.

This is tragic beyond belief.

I've only once been indirectly involved with the death of a farang (a fellow teacher). The way things were mishandled lead me to believe that ANYTHING is possible in the LOS, and that an impartial autopsy is the only way the truth will be revealed.

gather the impression that there is a thai cover up is just terrible.

Thai authorities need to get themselves into the modern world and provide full disclosure

Your second statement it more correct than the first. The Thai authorities are just plan and simply incompetant and/ or don't give a F%#k. Therefore it can look as if there is a cover up because they don't have the professional know how to get to a decisive cause of death. I am sure there are thousands of cases like this involving Thais every year that don't even get a mention in any sort of media. The Thai family just sucks up what the authorities tell/feed them and off to the crematorium. Still very 19th century here unfortunately.

...they don't have the professional know how to get to a decisive cause of death..

as they havent managed to build an economy here, in contrast to the other asian countries (and even though thailand had by far the best preconditions to), one would have considered the "medical hub" approach as clutching the last straw...

how can they advertise as such, when they cant even determine a cause of death?

Edited by dingdang

gather the impression that there is a thai cover up is just terrible.

Thai authorities need to get themselves into the modern world and provide full disclosure

Your second statement it more correct than the first. The Thai authorities are just plan and simply incompetant and/ or don't give a F%#k. Therefore it can look as if there is a cover up because they don't have the professional know how to get to a decisive cause of death. I am sure there are thousands of cases like this involving Thais every year that don't even get a mention in any sort of media. The Thai family just sucks up what the authorities tell/feed them and off to the crematorium. Still very 19th century here unfortunately.

don't underestimate the authorities - they may be clumsy, but they know full well that by fudging the issues they may well get away without loosing a lot of tourists

Condolences to Mr. Belanger and family and friends. It is very heart wrenching. Of course it is a coverup. if they are not covering up their lack of skills in tracking down the killers , they are covering up their ineptness in sorting out the chemical or food poisoning and the culpability of a manufacturer, restaurant or vendor. One way or another, Thais are always covering up. When you read about a story like this one it makes you sick to be associated with them. There is no recourse, no diligence, no concern, only covering up. It's so obvious too that they are covering up something either the guilty or their own ineptness and they seem to take pleasure in pushing it in your face when you challenge them or question them. The best way to snap the Thais into the real world is for the major embassies to declare Thailand a very high alert risk.

• Like 1

Total rubbish.

This is total rubbish.

Why haven't the Thais published the results of their tests?

I have stayed in many hotels in Thailand and every day the maid comes to the room. If the maid heard nothing, then she would enter the room, knocking first. If she heard something, then she would also knock and ask what time she could come back. If she heard people vomiting or smelled vomit, as the reports indicate, why did she not inform management ? Normally maids have a checklist of the rooms they need to clean and they do not go home until all of the rooms have been completed.

Edited by cigar7
  • Like 1

The first priority of the police would be to fulfill the wishes of any influential local people who regularly pay them off. This would include local politicians and businessmen and possibly the owner of the hotel. The second priority would be at the national level and instructions would be clear and consistent with the local interests, i.e. to cover up and obfuscate anything that might be damaging to tourism income. Only if the victims were Thais from a wealthy and influential family would the family feature anywhere in the police priority list. Sad to say the father is almost certainly right in his suspicions.

• Like 1