Old Expats In Thailand - Possible Hell On Earth?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, my vision was to live somewhere upcountry when I would be old and without any income, and not have to worry about some 90 day reporting or renewing of the visa every year. Oh dear, I will have to find another country for this dream then, Burma here I come smile.png

Farang the 90 day reporting is the scourge of living there unfortunately.

Have a look at Malaysia, they are more welcoming! If your google "retirement in Malaysia" loads of info available.

I would strongly recommend the same. Start from the idea and the thought that you are nowhere welcome as a "farang" here in this part of the world, but keep in mind that the country who is expressing this the most through their rules and regulations is for sure THAILAND! Racist at 100% and all annoyances with a "Thai smile".

Luckily, I have NOT a Thai wife and stay on a retirement visa (much better and friendly in Phuket than in Bangkok), carefuling keeping both options open: my house in Europe and my residences in BKK and Phuket. Can't be safe enough. The last that I trust is the Thai Government!

Also for my medical care, I don't trust these amaat-doctors anymore: way too expensive and no guarantee for any improvement. First question "Do you have an insurance", which answer has immediate impact on your bill by a factor 2...

I had such a neighbor.

His temporary (64 years something) pension was around 20k Baht.

He smoked 80 cigs/day and drank at least 10 bottles of Chang/day.

Had a GF with 10 year youg girl (not his)

No visa, avoided MIB.

Was not living in hell.

When his last days were obvious GF wanted him treated at private hospital although he had no cash.

Farangs obliged and promised to collect funds to pay his hospital bill.

That never materialized.

5 days later private hospital moved him to government hospital where he died a few hours later.

No one cared after that, only his GF was left with the private hospital bill.

His corpse remained in the fridge for months, but I guess he did not care whistling.gif

that is a sad story and i have seen the same thing happen in Sakon nakhon ...normally other farangs come to the ladies help...still very sad.

Billd766 Judging by all the horror stories I have read, and heard first hand, I would say you are one of the very lucky few. Long may it continue - but I hope to Ch*** your wife doesn't read your post and get ideas. :-)

falang07 - As to the prospect of old age IMHO I would suggest a bit of in-depth research and planning while you still,hopefully, have lots of time to prepare. Its a bit like eating chicken soup "Will it do me any good? Well it can't hurt!" Always a good idea to have a Plan B up your sleeve.

If the farang house is in the thai wifes name, it is possible on the Land department to make a note on the Land Deed that you can stay in the house the rest of your life. The she cannot sell it because nobody will buy a house where you have to sta too.. You have to sign on Land Department if she try to sell.

Make a lawyer set it up. I have my property in that way

• Like 1

Would they be any better off back in their home counties, old, poor, sick and homeless. Seen some guys buried around Issan that have not done a visa in over 7 years. One didn't even have a current passport.

And of course the other option, just drink yourself to death. Jim

Homeless back in my home country I would not survive 1 winter.. Well I think

If the farang house is in the thai wifes name, it is possible on the Land department to make a note on the Land Deed that you can stay in the house the rest of your life. The she cannot sell it because nobody will buy a house where you have to sta too.. You have to sign on Land Department if she try to sell.

I think you are referring to a Usufruct - which if done correctly supposedly gives you the right to live in said abode until your death?

Excuse my scepticism; but do you really think that would work - legal or not. Naturally for your sake I hope that it would. Please do not overlook the fact that you are, presumably - a foreigner in Thailand. I've learned that there are two words in this country which don't work very well together, especially when used in a sentence regarding a legal dispute. They are Thailand and falang.

I know a few foreigners holding different nationalities living in this wonderful country for many years.

​All of them are around 70 and not in a good situation.

​MOST of them are without any insurance and an expensive operation would be impossible for them.

​I've visited some at village hospitals, health care and hygienic circumstances unbelievable. They're in big rooms where almost every day a patient died. Not something I'd like to experience, to be honest.

The only reason that they don't go back is that they wouldn't have anything or anybody back home.

Most of them can't eat Thai food, even after 20 years living here. Most of them can't even order a noodle soup using Thai, when alone.

Most of them built big houses, bought cars and bikes and more. But now their wives are wealthy.

I see many of them just paying good money for a better nurse. Majority of them who'd produced kids being around 60 aren't happy fathers, nor the kids seem to have a good relationship with their daddies.

When those older men go to school meetings, all others are talking about the boy/girl with his/her grandfather.

Some of them had heart attacks, because they wanted to improve their sexuality using chemical help.

To answer the OP's question:

It seems to very difficult to live a happy life here when you're older. This is just my own opinion and shouldn't bother anybody else.

• Like 1

I love my Thai wife and I do trust her ............ BUT, I still have my Thai bank account and my US bank accounts in my own name. My condo in Jomtien was purchased before we got married and is in my name. My pickup truck is also in my name. Trust is one thing but blind stupid trust is another thing.

What would happen if my wife should die before I do? Why would I subject my financial well being to her family?

She does have the PIN number to my Thai bank account and she can get that money from the ATM if I am not able or if I should pass away unexpectedly.

• Like 1

Excuse my scepticism; but do you really think that would work - legal or not. Naturally for your sake I hope that it would. Please do not overlook the fact that you are, presumably - a foreigner in Thailand. I've learned that there are two words in this country which don't work very well together, especially when used in a sentence regarding a legal dispute. They are Thailand and falang.

My lawyer told me and made it. Later our Land Deed was stolen, and I talked with them on the Land Department and they confirmed when we got the new, that it is legal and I have to sign when the property has to be sold.

Would they be any better off back in their home counties, old, poor, sick and homeless. Seen some guys buried around Issan that have not done a visa in over 7 years. One didn't even have a current passport.

And of course the other option, just drink yourself to death. Jim

or just marry another nice or not so nice Thai wife

I fit that profile mostly.

I am 68, married to a Thai with a dual nationality son, house and everything except my motorbikes registered in my wifes name.

I am on a retirement visa extension and not a marriage one. got enough pension monet to keep me going unless the GBP drops to 35 or so.

So far after 19 years of knowing my wife, 12 years of marriage, 8 years of our son I read this post.

Thank you for your concern but speaking for myself I don't have any worries or problems that I can see in the future.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and one of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

I am aware that when I was born many years ago I came into the world with nothing and was surrounded by my parents and my brothers love.

My parents are long dead though my brother is still alive and the love is now the love of my family.

I am also aware that when I die if I only have 10 baht and nowhere to live or a gazillion baht, 20 houses, 50 cars and anything else I want in the world, sure as sh1t when I die I can't take it with me but I can take the love of my family.

What is worth the most?

Very well said.

This is for everybody, look behind and think about when you have seen your wife or girlfriend. They have something special. Ones you are connected, this feeling will never go away.

I complete agree with the above

I lost my daughter last year , 21 years old.

There is nothing left in live that can change my mind of not staying in Thailand

Good day to all and please enjoy live without to meany arguments .

Peter

• Like 1

There ARE a lot of horror storeis around but there are many more people than me who aren't in one and if a "good family thread" gets opened it usualled gets trahsed on the first page which is why most lucky guys dont post here.

Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't.

Very optimistic post ...... and yet, in another thread you admit to not having enough money left in the bank to renew your extension of stay.

Looking back, with that fact in mind, was it really such a good idea to build that house and pay for that land?

Oh, but you believe in an open and honest relationship ..... the kind where you say 'Darling, I have 800k in a Thai bank' ...... and then she goes on and on and on until you weaken and let her spend it. So much for honesty, eh!

Edited by TommoPhysicist

1) A foreigner buying a house in his wifes name is against the law, do it and you deserve all you get.

2) A sensible foreigner keeps 800k in a hidden bank account for use in a marital emergency.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

An extremely sensible outlook on living in Thailand.

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

We have a joint bank account in Thailand and she can see how much is there at any time she wants.

Also a sensible man who loves and trusts his wife has no need of a hidden bank account.

I have no secrets from my wife and indeed why should I?

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

I and many friends who have married Thais don't have this problem.

My sentiments precisely!!!!

If he is really that poor then he could potter along here on ed visas or border runs or whatever, until he gets ill but then he would have to clear off back home pretty sharpish if he wanted subsidised/free health care.

Thailand is fine if you have money, even if you're old and not well, but it is not a country in which I would choose to be poor and ill.

Being (relatively) old and having had one serious illness I can say I am far happier here than I would be back in the US. I received /am receiving excellent medical treatment from BHP. I do own my own condo and have comprehensive medical coverage. As Darrel said, if you're poor and expect charitable medical treatment, you'd probably be better off in your home country where you would probably have access to help.

Thais are not racist, but they have had unfortunate experiences with farang who don't inspire much trust. Unlike some people on TV I don't expect everyone in Thailand to love me, but I have found good Thai friends upon who I can depend for help if needed. As would be true anywhere, friendship and trust develop over time and can't be bought in a bar.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

@Tommo - Foreigners may have a house registered in their own name, however they may not own the land underneath the house. Many foreigners will put the house in their name and secure the land via a Long Term Lease on the land which gives them the right to live there. Once the foriegner passes away, the land reverts back to the Thai wife.

@Tommo - Foreigners may have a house registered in their own name, however they may not own the land underneath the house. Many foreigners will put the house in their name and secure the land via a Long Term Lease on the land which gives them the right to live there. Once the foriegner passes away, the land reverts back to the Thai wife.

And yet

In one of my examples of loss a Devonshire lady had her lease destroyed by the Land Office after a bribe was paid by the landowner.

In another example my Manchurian pal can't do anything with a property he has a 26 years of lease remaining, because nobody would buy a leasehold of less than 30 years, and the landowner refuses to budge (as is his right).

If you own something (a lease) that you can't sell and nobody would buy ...... do you really own it?

PS

Longest I ever lived in a house was 10 years. So what good would a 30 year lease, that nobody would buy with 20 years remaining, be to me?

Edited by TommoPhysicist

And yet

In one of my examples of loss a Devonshire lady had her lease destroyed by the Land Office after a bribe was paid by the landowner.

In another example my Manchurian pal can't do anything with a property he has a 26 years of lease remaining, because nobody would buy a leasehold of less than 30 years, and the landowner refuses to budge (as is his right).

If you own something (a lease) that you can't sell and nobody would buy ...... do you really own it?

PS

Longest I ever lived in a house was 10 years. So what good would a 30 year lease, that nobody would buy with 20 years remaining, be to me?

If you are married and buy/build a house, all the bits of paper [leases etc ] are worthless, , Who gets what will be decided by the family court, just like in the west. Jim

And yet

PS

If you are married and buy/build a house, all the bits of paper [leases etc ] are worthless, , Who gets what will be decided by the family court, just like in the west. Jim

So there you go, better to rent and keep your cash secret and hidden.

Family court (world over) can't dispense what it doesn't know exists.

60s to 70s is not old. It all depends how you feel about yourself and your health. Its a lot cheaper here to go to the hospital than western countries. Enjoy your retirement.

• Like 2

I have had several Thai girlfriends, all of them lovely pooying, who were not gold diggers, and some very frugal indeed, to the point of being miserly (even if I were the beneficiary of their frugal natures).

But reading all these responses makes me hesitate even more over marriage. I come and go from Thailand, so am not one of those living here 12 months of the year, but it seems to me that a farang is much better off becoming like a Thai guy and just hiring a gik, whom he can meet once or twice a week, give her an agreed sum of money, and live alone the rest of the time. Cheaper than committing your whole fortune to one pooying.....and if things go wrong, you are on the next plane to wherever.....

Don't let it put you off, you can have the time of your life and a great marriage/relationship/family/children here.

Just don't buy anything you can't carry or drive away, and don't leave your life savings on the bedside table.

How hard can that be?

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1