Old Expats In Thailand - Possible Hell On Earth?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, but not everyone is that lucky like billd766, many marriages end up in divorce after all (no matter how much they have loved each other before, and I am sure as hell they often did). My point was that it would be really nice to have the same rights as my wife, the same as is granted to Thais abroad.

"My point was that it would be really nice to have the same rights as my wife, the same as is granted to Thais abroad."

Well Farang that isnt going to happen in our life timebiggrin.png .

My father doesnt have a Thai wife, he has lived for decades in the Kingdom and of course he has appraised the whole situation beforehand.

He enjoys his life, he realises that he wouldnt enjoy the same benefits as supposedly he would be entitled to in his own country and still opted for remaining.

(We of course will as the kids jump in where applicable !).. but that is not what he wants.

Regarding visas, so what, you are sick, what they going to do deport you? No airline would take you, so you are left with a detention centre if you are that unluckybiggrin.png .

If you have made some plans, great! If not, dont tink tooo mutt!biggrin.png

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 2

Well, my vision was to live somewhere upcountry when I would be old and without any income, and not have to worry about some 90 day reporting or renewing of the visa every year. Oh dear, I will have to find another country for this dream then, Burma here I come :)

Well, my vision was to live somewhere upcountry when I would be old and without any income, and not have to worry about some 90 day reporting or renewing of the visa every year. Oh dear, I will have to find another country for this dream then, Burma here I come smile.png

Farang the 90 day reporting is the scourge of living there unfortunately.

Have a look at Malaysia, they are more welcoming! If your google "retirement in Malaysia" loads of info available.

Edited by edwinclapham
  • Like 1

1) A foreigner buying a house in his wifes name is against the law, do it and you deserve all you get.

2) A sensible foreigner keeps 800k in a hidden bank account for use in a marital emergency.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and one of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

An extremely sensible outlook on living in Thailand.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 2

A fool and his money are soon parted. This is a tough old world we live in and if you don't look after yourself, no one else is going to.

I am married to a Thai lady and have never used the support (marriage) visa. I don't expect my wife to throw me out but stranger things have happened. I would not feel at all comfortable if I didn't have a sufficient income and could not keep 800,000 baht in my bank account.

Thailand is a great place to live but this is no place for a poverty stricken old man. And yes, I am an old man. It's difficult for me to workup much sympathy for those who fail to plan.

• Like 2

I realy do understand Op point that it would be nice to feel relaxed by the visa and I think the 90 day report will be just by letter or even email in the future for all,Just found out today for exampel that in Phuket were I live at the moment i can send my 90 report by letter(ED-visa) so I think there slowly come changes.But one thing is very importent that most of us forget,its not a right to live in Thailand,we are guests here, and there country and there rules, take it or leave it.Sure it could be better for visa and other things but I have made a choice to live here and then i have to take it as it is.

• Like 1

A fool and his money are soon parted. This is a tough old world we live in and if you don't look after yourself, no one else is going to.

I am married to a Thai lady and have never used the support (marriage) visa. I don't expect my wife to throw me out but stranger things have happened. I would not feel at all comfortable if I didn't have a sufficient income and could not keep 800,000 baht in my bank account.

Thailand is a great place to live but this is no place for a poverty stricken old man. And yes, I am an old man. It's difficult for me to workup much sympathy for those who fail to plan.

Exactly!

I realy do understand Op point that it would be nice to feel relaxed by the visa and I think the 90 day report will be just by letter or even email in the future for all,Just found out today for exampel that in Phuket were I live at the moment i can send my 90 report by letter(ED-visa) so I think there slowly come changes.But one thing is very importent that most of us forget,its not a right to live in Thailand,we are guests here, and there country and there rules, take it or leave it.Sure it could be better for visa and other things but I have made a choice to live here and then i have to take it as it is.

Yes you are correct you are a guest in Thailand and that you did indeed make that choice. Therefore a contingency plan if one is that way inclined is probably the way to go.

• Like 2

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

In life one should always hope for the best, but only a fool fails to plan for the worst.

Trust No One ............

(Actually, you can usually trust your parents, but never your wife or children)

Come on Tommo... thats such a broad generalisation. I would be devastated if I were not able to trust my kids.tongue.png

• Like 1

Yes, we are just plain people and since people tend to fail quite often and it is their fundamental quality (I doubt anyone's wife never fails but perhaps you are the lucky one, or at least you live in that illusion :-), if you trust for 100% in someone else except your mother, you are quite a fool. Many have learned that the hard way. Or can you say you did not fail in your whole life, i.e. can you 'throw the stone' as they say in the Bible, or 'let him that is without sin among you first cast the stone at her?' and prove that some people do not fail?

• Like 2

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

I don't believe it is against the law for you to give an unencumbered gift to your Thai wife to buy/build a house and land.

(But I do know of at least one female Thai judge that has ruled this was against the law)

But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

This is called a nominee purchase and is strictly against Thai law.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

1) A foreigner buying a house in his wifes name is against the law, do it and you deserve all you get.

2) A sensible foreigner keeps 800k in a hidden bank account for use in a marital emergency.

Quite frankly I have had a great life and a good 19 years relationship with my Thai wife and if it all ended tomorrow I would wish her all the best for her future life with our son who I would dearly miss, pack my bags and move along.

Unlike a few posters on TVF I came into the marriage knowing that I would not be legally able to own much and of the things I did in my marriage was to ensure that my wife would be well looked after and have a reasonably comfortable life.

An extremely sensible outlook on living in Thailand.

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

We have a joint bank account in Thailand and she can see how much is there at any time she wants.

Also a sensible man who loves and trusts his wife has no need of a hidden bank account.

I have no secrets from my wife and indeed why should I?

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

I and many friends who have married Thais don't have this problem.

Are you not aware of the thousands who get ripped off every year, this is the real world not your fancy one in a million situations

Where are your stats on these thousand who get ripped off or just your imigination working overtime.
  • Like 1

OK, but not everyone is that lucky like billd766, many marriages end up in divorce after all (no matter how much they have loved each other before, and I am sure as hell they often did). My point was that it would be really nice to have the same rights as my wife, the same as is granted to Thais abroad.

It would be really nice, wouldn't it, it for everything that affects our life there would be one law or rule valid in the whole world. In this era of globalisation, it would make life so much easier.

Like many others living here I am happy with my lot, appreciate being looked after far more than I would be back home and do not begrudge buying what I can afford as a well deserved thank you to my wife.

I am a great believer in never having more than I can afford to loose here in Thailand and having something to fall back on.

I keep the rest back in the U.K were I know it will be for me should I ever have to return home.

I can walk away content in the knowledge I did my best for my wife and left her with security for the time she has invested in my life.

With no regrets what so ever. and many happy memories to take back with me.

As for Thai law on who owns what ect. ect., it has always been this way and we are, or should have been aware of it along with the worse case scenario / possibilties when coming here.

If it,s hell on earth or develops into it, returning home would be the best advice I could offer anyone.

marshbags wink.png

P.S.

Never forget the O.P. could apply anywhere in the world and a fool with his money is just as likely to finish up in a similar way unless the old grey matter and caution is applied until you are into a genuine long term relationship.

Edited by marshbags
  • Like 2

Never forget the O.P. could apply anywhere in the world and a fool with his money is just as likely to finish up in a similar way unless the old grey matter and caution is applied until you are into a genuine long term relationship.

Hard to know that though, in the UK I went for 25 years before being fleeced.

I know an American here, married to a Thai lady 10 years, her Thai husband is still waiting for a result.