Old Expats In Thailand - Possible Hell On Earth?

Well your wife might die before you also. Always have a contingency plan, know what will happen to you if you get into trouble. The UK embassy is not much help I have heard, my Embassy is, for instance. I also have a repatriation insurance in case I can't get adequate medical treatment and another one to get me out if the political situation turns me into a refugee. Not expensive and bears thinking about.

• Like 1

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well your wife might die before you also. Always have a contingency plan, know what will happen to you if you get into trouble. The UK embassy is not much help I have heard, my Embassy is, for instance. I also have a repatriation insurance in case I can't get adequate medical treatment and another one to get me out if the political situation turns me into a refugee. Not expensive and bears thinking about.

Who is your insurer please.

Also wonder while I am fine now how those in long term infirmity,cannot drive hospital,hospice etc manage 90 days.

Regardless of cash marital status do sick old foreigners saty in bed until deported or drive under meds to satisfy their visa requuirments

Sorry Johnny, I am Swiss, one of the most over insured countries on earth. I'm insured with Rega and Soliswiss.

I have wondered about your question myself, there must be a lot of desperate, abandoned geezers out there. I think the 90 day thing can be done by post and/or by proxy, never thought about it.

My personal life and certain things only told to doctors behind closed doors I find to circulate around the city I live in within a matter of weeks. Racism and discrimination exists everywhere in the world but personally as a westerner who can understand thai at a mediocre level. The only day people didn't gossip about me within an audible proximity was when I went camping with a group of friends on the border of Burma, distant from All Thai People, but very close to many beautiful THAI animals and wildlife...

if you realise those things can happen , than also you should make your precautions ... simpel as that .... so the sky does not fall on your head

DO NOT BRING MORE TO THAILAND than what you can loosing whiteout crying (too much) thumbsup.gif ,

i am not marriyng to get stay permit and have anyway a non o 1 year multiple entry stay visa,

most things you mension can also happen in the west , or there are no divorce lawyers who can make your (ex ) wife a rich woman and you a poor man...??laugh.png

Imagine if you are under 50 years of age and your on a marriage visa. Then your wife passes away, it's good-bye visa and please get out of Thailand. It was nice knowing you , don't let the door hit you on the way out.

If your a foreign woman, I would try to get citizenship a.s.a.p. at least and get off the marriage visa. Less hassles in the future.

I had such a neighbor.

His temporary (64 years something) pension was around 20k Baht.

He smoked 80 cigs/day and drank at least 10 bottles of Chang/day.

Had a GF with 10 year youg girl (not his)

No visa, avoided MIB.

Was not living in hell.

When his last days were obvious GF wanted him treated at private hospital although he had no cash.

Farangs obliged and promised to collect funds to pay his hospital bill.

That never materialized.

5 days later private hospital moved him to government hospital where he died a few hours later.

No one cared after that, only his GF was left with the private hospital bill.

His corpse remained in the fridge for months, but I guess he did not care whistling.gif

It seems from many of your posts you do not trust your wife.

In life one should always hope for the best, but only a fool fails to plan for the worst.

Trust No One ............

(Actually, you can usually trust your parents, but never your wife or children)

I guess that is where we differ.

After all if you don't trust your wife or children then why marry and have children?

If you have the money then be single and a butterfly and perhaps be the richest man in the graveyard.

Not that it makes any difference when you are dead anyway.

Are YOU aware of the thousands who DON'T get ripped off every year becaise they love and trust their families?

I am completely sure that all those who get ripped off think exactly as you do .......... mainly "I love and trust them so they won't steal from me".

Good luck with your fantasy!

• Like 1

You seem to have a negative attitude to life when in reality life is good so make the best of it that you can while you are here.

I actually have a very positive attitude to life.

Life here is good, and I am positive that my planning will continue ensuring that my life is good.

Those who give all their money away to a woman .......... they go home unhappy (eventually).

.... But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

This is called a nominee purchase and is strictly against Thai law.

So my money was transferred to her account and after I signed the "perjury slip" at the Land Office, she went ahead and bought the land. I then used my money through my account to build the house upon that land, Later, I went to the Amphur with wife and witnesses and they gave me a yellow tibian bahn that states I live there. That means the local government compounded my 'crime' by issuing a legal document that states to all intents and purposes that I live in the house that I paid for that is built on the land that I have stated to belong to the wife and has nothing to do with any money I may have given her, ie. a nominee purchase.

• Like 1

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

I don't believe it is against the law for you to give an unencumbered gift to your Thai wife to buy/build a house and land.

(But I do know of at least one female Thai judge that has ruled this was against the law)

But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't remember claiming this as MY house at all and no it is/was not against the law to give my wife the money to buy the land and build the house.

Everything has been done in here name not mine and up here Judges seem to have more common sense than only one female judge elsewhere.

I am not on the blue Tabian ban though I do legally have a yellow tabian ban in my own name.

You seem to have a negative attitude to life when in reality life is good so make the best of it that you can while you are here.

Bild, you should not worry yourself over the views of some bitter and twisted people that spend their time at the keyboard sprouting nonsense. It's good to hear of situations like yours and like you say there are many more like you.

• Like 1

But in two posts, you alluded to personally knowing of 11 unfortunates who like yourself, were financially hosed in some way or another by their chosen female partner. The odds on that are akin to personally knowing the last 11 Formula 1 Champions. Is it a hobby that keeps you in touch with the similarly scotched, jaded, bitter and twisted?

Most of them aren't bitter or twisted, as they (like me) had plenty of money and just learn to be more careful next time.

Funny the 'bitter and twisted' insult is always resorted to in the end. When you have loads of money ...... losing a little is no big deal ..... maybe it would make you bitter and twisted, if so, more fool you for gambling something you can't afford to lose.

I actually have a very positive attitude to life.

Life here is good, and I am positive that my planning will continue ensuring that my life is good.

Those who give all their money away to a woman .......... they go home unhappy (eventually).

We will never agree on this subject so I will drop it and not respond to any more of your posts on this thread.

I didnt buy my wife a house at all.She had some land up here in the countryside and I gave her the money to buy the land next door.

I paid for the house etc and also for another plot of land that she owns up the road a bit.

Where is it against the law for my wife to own a house and land in her name?

It isn't mine it belongs to my wife and son

If I give her the money to do so and sign it off at the amphur that it was her money it is HER house and land not mine.

I don't believe it is against the law for you to give an unencumbered gift to your Thai wife to buy/build a house and land.

(But I do know of at least one female Thai judge that has ruled this was against the law)

But it is against the law for you to give your wife money to buy land which you then call/consider YOUR house.

Sorry to disappoint you but I don't remember claiming this as MY house at all and no it is/was not against the law to give my wife the money to buy the land and build the house.

Everything has been done in here name not mine and up here Judges seem to have more common sense than only one female judge elsewhere.

I am not on the blue Tabian ban though I do legally have a yellow tabian ban in my own name.

Bild, you should not worry yourself over the views of some bitter and twisted people that spend their time at the keyboard sprouting nonsense. It's good to hear of situations like yours and like you say there are many more like you.

Thank you for your comment and I don't worry or care .that much as I have a real life that I live away from the keyboard.

Was back in OZ a few years ago, friend of mine, 2 years younger then me. He was thinking of taking early retirement and moving here, but had read all the horror stories and kept putting it off so as to make more money just to be safe. Died last year, 2 houses and would have had a good pension if he had live to see it.

Worry about today, tomorrow will take care of itself. Don't get any brownie points for being the riches man in the graveyard. Jim

I completely agree, but you can have a good life here without buying land and houses.

Renting is very cheap, and many very nice Thai ladies already have their own properties ......

OK so you spend a little to put in a nice shower and toilet, and some proper furniture.

But when you get to the state of giving your lady money for land, and not keeping enough in your bank for your visa extension ....... beyond daft.

Edited by TommoPhysicist