How Dangerous Is It To Drive Alone In The Country?

Just tell her that you're picking up your mate's sister in law along the way so you'll be fine.

Of course you could just grow a set and do what you want to do. If you don't have trust in a relationship you don't have anything.

Edited by siam cbr

I have made many, many trips from Loei to Jomtien and back with no problems. I don't drive at night, not because of safety concerns but because my night vision isn't too good for some reason.

I'm with the masses here, I've driven over 150k miles in Thailand over nine years and have not had a serious problem that I couldn't easily manage alone, I think the OP's wife falls into the same category as many Thai women who are scared for our safety based on stories they have heard or based on events they have experienced as single Thai women. Grief, my car's in the paint shop for two weeks so I told Mrs CM I was going to walk from home (near Riverside) down to the Chedi at 9pm on a Friday night, she was horrified at the risk I was taking and tried hard to convince me to do otherwise, I tried to tell her this is Chiang Mai and not Mogadishu but she wouldn't have it!

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 2

I'm with the masses here, I've driven over 150k miles in Thailand over nine years and have not had a serious problem that I couldn't easily manage alone, I think the OP's wife falls into the same category as many Thai women who are scared for our safety based on stories they have heard or based on events they have experienced as single Thai women. Grief, my car's in the paint shop for two weeks so I told Mrs CM I was going to walk from home (near Riverside) down to the Chedi at 9pm on a Friday night, she was horrified at the risk I was taking and tried hard to convince me to do otherwise, I tried to tell her this is Chiang Mai and not Mogadishu but she wouldn't have it!

Reminds me of when I went for a morning stroll along country roads near the house a few years back. Panic phone calls asking where I had gone, was I OK, how long would I be, do I want her to come pick me up?

You have to laugh, but some do worry like crazy.

Reminds me of when I went for a morning stroll along country roads near the house a few years back. Panic phone calls asking where I had gone, was I OK, how long would I be, do I want her to come pick me up?

You have to laugh, but some do worry like crazy.

The more I think about this aspect the more I realise that either the women folk are right and we're wrong or visa versa, I hope it's visa versa and we're not just missing the point or not getting the message.

I agree with your wife.

I didn't read all of the posts but I will say that I do drive alone but prefer not to.

I generally have either my wife or my number one worker/manager with me.

Many times he drives.

Fine with me.

Also, I do speak Thai and have many BIG police friends #s on my phone so the coppers are no problem.

Thailand is becoming more and more dangerous (as is most of the world) but if you keep your head about you and your karma clean, well use your own judgment.

Also, besides the drinking there are many big rig drivers that do long hours and drugs.

Careful !!!

Not to mention the thieves.

Just watch the news.

Oh yea, you don't speak Thai.

Maybe you can get your wife to translate some for you.

Starting to learn might not be such a bad idea as well.

Do what you feel comfortable doing.

You wife is speaking from love and a level of experience that you and I will never attain.

Btw, my wife feels the same way.

Carry on mate. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

My husband has traveled all over Thailand, top to bottom, hitch-hiking, usually alone, sometimes with me, for the last sixteen years. Sometimes driver is driving too fast for comfort and we get off at next stop. One driver asked us for money for gas which we gave promptly. Have never had a problem and, although most of you will say we are insane, I have to say that some of our closest Thai friends today are folks who picked us up years ago. The police have always been super friendly and helpful to the point of bringing us chairs on the side of the road, taking us to next good spot, and sharing their whiskey and food and watching soccer with them.

In response to OP? Thai people, other than those above who picked us up and are now friends, say it is way too dangerous to even think about hitching. We can afford public transport but prefer bicycles locally (CM, CK and Lamphun) and we find older buses too crowded and uncomfortable and newer buses, too cold and too boring. Hitching is NEVER boring. Except maybe when waiting for a ride. If no luck, we hop a bus.

Consider this mate; she may well be messing with your mind because she doesn't want you jaunting off alone with buddies in case you find a nice new bit of fluff somewhere. Its not dangerous driving alone in Thailand, just go and enjoy yourself mate.
I agree mate, I done 500,000 kls here over the last 12 years and never a problem. In fact if i am pulled over by police for whatever reason it is always more of a problem if i have a Thai person in the car. The police will yak yak to them and intimidate them to try and get a hand out, but when i'm on my own, No problem at all as i don't speak Thai and 90% of the time i'm told to go after they inspect my Licence. Go play golf as i do anywhere in Thailand and enjoy the freedom.

Good post and while there may be othe tales reflecs my experiece nd less BS than cops that have plled me over in Spain USA Hngary UK France and China

My experience too

Sure the state of rural roads vehicles and drivers make my rare "happy hour trips" seldom

On building amyhouse I learned the village day workers and laborers scoop 50cl or 5 finegrs of of 60% Lao Khao before 6 feckkas climb on the uninsured bike/ute but 4 times legla limit in non re-incrantion loving coves.

There is the feeding pause c 8-midnight when another round of red bull and Samsong/Regency crazies exit karaokes etc and possibly 2 glasses later at weekend or near big cities.Hiddde.2am until dawn is best no cops drunks or bikes!

I regularaly drive C Rai bangkok with ltd Thai all docs in order to hand and have only once pad 12o baht using a rush hour bus lane in Dusit etc,because the roadd prioriy had altered and I was in hurry to buy sea salt

Once stopped at Chiang Saen with wealthy Swedeish friend in his impeccable shiny SUV wonderful irony my daughter of the common folk and his Hi So wife were the only ones questioned at checkpoint on Burma jaunt.The ladies were not amused! made up for years of double pricing and tuk tuk scams to see the volte face.

The unininsured drunks are a real issue,tinted side windows OK but front seems an neccessary hazaed and when I see a tinted BMW assume its dwug peddlars or the 911 masterminds

Good luck I fear yer good lady is rightly protecting her investment and perhaps worried lest you are tugged over for roadside recreation so often found in sanooker clubs and message parlours.

Like the motor cycle many are pulled off bum few are fully covered

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Mate I dont want to offend here, honestly I dont..... But blimey man up! You need to clear it with the wife before you embark on a poxy 110 Kilometer journey?

I drive from hua Hin to Kanchanaburi every couple of weeks and have done for 3 years. I also dive down to Samui occasionaly and up to Bangkok regularly. At all times of the day and night. In the 9 years I have lived here I have never had the slightest issue in any way shape or form.

Furthermore I have never heard of stuff like this happening to a ferang here. I mean come on man.... Someone ramming you off the road so they can steal your car? Think about how proposturous that is! I mean its almost laughable!

And car jacking? It just dosent happen here dude, let alone on the nice breezy 323 between Petchaburi and Kan! Im assuming you are around Petch or Ratchaburi?

Mate, jump in your car, enjoy the ride and have some fun at golf.