Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Attack On Tourist

webfact

Limit the number of passengers to the number of approved seatbelts with seats on the vehicle. Switch to golf carts for short rides, taxis and buses for other rides. As for the rough drivers, its tough luck for any of us who need to use transport services here. I do my absolute best to avoid allowing anyone drive for me here because we automatically differ on the way humans should be transported safely. But in those rare moments of need, I use AOT from the airport to home. Tuktuks are out of the question and so are the ordinary taxis with their funky smells, funky radio preferences(angry red team, saucy upcountry tunes). If you don't like the driver, just keep walking, no point to get into a pissing contest when you are not on your home turf.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone asked earlier about why are the fares so high. Well, here's why. They pay into a tuk tuk association fund monthly ( 10-15K) and have to rent the vehicles also, so they have a lot of overhead. Who runs the tuk tuk association? The mayor's son of course. What benefit do the tuk tuks get out of this agreement. Pretty much full immunity.

What ever happened to that tuk tuk driver in Kata that beat upon an old French couple? Answer nothing. What about the tuk tuk driver that beat up another arabic guy in Patong? Answer, the Arabic guy ends up getting charges pressed against him and has to pay.

So the real culprits to this mess is the huge amount of fees charged by a certain family, then this is spread to various factions to keep the well oiled machine running.

• Like 2

It is probably a "SONGTHAEW" (สองแถว) (small van), not a tuk tuk, as that is what is normally is used in Phuket.

Not in Patong they're not. They're regular small tuk-tuks in the town, Songthaew's operate the local bus routes etc.

The driver probably specifically asked how many and agreed on 6 in advance having clocked a large crowd of Egyptians. I don't think I've ever had to agree how many passengers prior to a journey, 6 would be a squeeze on the best of days.

This week I took my bedding to the laundry and was asked to pay 270 bath for a blanket and a bed cover, just for cleaning?! I clean 3 time and can buy new one for the same price!

Thailand has no respect for tourists and farang. It is getting worse by the day, I cannot recall the number of place where price asked are laughtable like restaurants who charge 120 bath for a fried rice, price of condo doubled in one year etc...Tuk tuk is just the most visible part of the iceberg. It is in all place that we are now screwed and robbed.

Want fried chicken? 60 bahts? Thai ask just after you 30 bahts... that's how it is working now in Phuket and Pattaya.

• Like 1

It is probably a "SONGTHAEW" (สองแถว) (small van), not a tuk tuk, as that is what is normally is used in Phuket.

What .... it's a Tuk Tuk all over Phuket. NOT a Songthaew. Have you ever been to Phuket ???

To be fair there are Songthaew in Phuket, just not operating in Patong for the local in town fares... that's strictly the realm of the tuk tuks.thumbsup.gif

The victim didn't want to press charges or accept compensation, but still they considered it a serious enough offence to sentence the guy anyway, and actually the sentence isn't particularly light, suspended jail term and fairly big fine (by Thai standards). Surely this is a positive outcome???

The VICTIM drives a tuk-tuk.

• Like 1

I am surprised the driver was not also charged for charging 300 baht and wanting another 100.

Its an extortion in itself. considering official taxi rate is something like 35 baht/km.

10 more happy tourists. Keep up the good work. smile.png

Sorry, I don't agree. The deal was 6 tourists for 300bt. That's 50bt per tourist.

The tuk-tuk driver can count to 10, so can I.

He only wanted an extra 100bt for the other 4 tourists. That's a great discount. The Egyptian should have been ecstatic.

But no, the 10 rich tourists had to try and scam the tuk-tuk driver, didn't they!

For what? 100bt .... that's three freakin' dollars .... for heaven's sake!

Was it worth it for $3? They've probably spent $15,000 between the 10 of them for this holiday ... and they're making a fuss over $3.

I am THOROUGHLY SICK AND TIRED of this sort of attitude from foreigners towards Thai workers.

Wake up .... the lot of you!

I'm usually charged 70-100bt. I always tip a tuk-tuk driver a 20. I always tip a taxi driver a 50. For a buck or two, we both walk away with a smile.

We all tip in the US, UK, or Australia ... but when we get to Bangkok, rich tourists suddenly turn into misers, scrouges, and whingers.

Where is that tuk-tuk driver? I'll pay his fine - for the moral wrong - and shout him and his family dinner for standing up for himself!

3 cheers

i did not realize taxi's charge per person, NOT for the distanceblink.png

• Like 1

The victim didn't want to press charges or accept compensation, but still they considered it a serious enough offence to sentence the guy anyway, and actually the sentence isn't particularly light, suspended jail term and fairly big fine (by Thai standards). Surely this is a positive outcome???

The VICTIM drives a tuk-tuk.

AGREE, he is a victim of failed extortionthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I feel some sympathy for the driver as the Egyptian said there would be a smaller number of passengers than actually showed up and he offered no extra compensation. The Egyptian was in the wrong and behaved in an angry way toward the driver.

It all worked out fair enough the Egyptian got what he deserved and everybody apologized and the driver got some punishment for hitting the guy.

Fair enough!

Idiot tourist tried to put 10 people into a tuk tuk and the driver sought a slightly higher fare ??

Whats wrong with him trying to do that ???

How many of you above posters would allow 10 people into your car or 3 onto your motorbike ??

The court's decision is very reasonable.

i must have missed somewhere tuk tuks desire to obey the law and NOT take extra people.

But i guess its ok, to break the law and put peoples life in danger as long as they pay more?blink.png

An undeniable logic, keep it upthumbsup.gif

I feel some sympathy for the driver as the Egyptian said there would be a smaller number of passengers than actually showed up and he offered no extra compensation. The Egyptian was in the wrong and behaved in an angry way toward the driver.

It all worked out fair enough the Egyptian got what he deserved and everybody apologized and the driver got some punishment for hitting the guy.

Fair enough!

but the driver still drove them and then demanded more money, if i understood correct.

the agreed price was 300, if he failed to see double the amount of people, he really can not demand more money after the fact.

not to mention, driver did NOT use extra car or extra trip and even if the vehicle did use up extra 20 baht of fuel, the already 10 times over priced ride no doubt can cover the 20 baht worth of fuel

I try to explain to the tuk tuk drivers that they should pay me to take me for a ride, it is good advertising for other foreigners to see me in their tuks and they get a free English lesson that I would normally charge for.

• Like 1

This incident was probably only reported because of the injury sustained from the assult that required medical attention.

It makes you wonder how many assaults go unreported...

Absolutely. I suffered an entirely unprovoked attack by a motorbike taxi rider in Sukhumvit Rd last year, was given the guy's shirt number by a witness, then reported it to tourist police and the local police station after getting hospital treatment. Were either of those police in the slightest bit interested? Were they heck. They didn't want to know anything about it. This newspaper report makes it seem the BIB take attacks on tourists seriously. What a joke.

Discretion is the better part of valor here. The tourist should have paid the 400 Baht in situation. I am not saying there is any need for violence of any kind, anywhere, at anytime.

The tourist said 6 people, but their were 10. The tourist knew there were 10 and not 6. The question is, who took advantage of who.

coffee1.gif

Fair enough!

the agreed price was 300, if he failed to see double the amount of people, he really can not demand more money after the fact.

not to mention, driver did NOT use extra car or extra trip and even if the vehicle did use up extra 20 baht of fuel, the already 10 times over priced ride no doubt can cover the 20 baht worth of fuel

Of course he can, in any transaction if you notice the other party did not fulfill their part of the agreement you will ask to be compensated. during or after the facts.

Anyway I get the feeling you are just trolling. Carry On.

I'm gonna keep my fingers off the keypad on this crap and go sailing. BTW we have TT's on Phuket.

TT's you mean Audi cars?

Yeah...Audi's....waddaya expect...3 wheelers?!

please try again, only this time in English

Fair enough!

Of course he can, in any transaction if you notice the other party did not fulfill their part of the agreement you will ask to be compensated. during or after the facts.

Anyway I get the feeling you are just trolling. Carry On.

is that what you feel? thank you for sharing your feelings with the boardthumbsup.gif

The other party did not eat more food or drink more water

If the driver was too stupid to notice double the amount of people, thats tough luck.

He could always renegotiate or cancel the agreement, instead of making the trip and THEN demand more money.

But all of the above is really just common sense, which you clearly do not posses, so carry onthumbsup.gif

Well, the normal price in Pattaya is 10- 20 THB without ordering an exact destination.

But 10 people isn't that much, maybe 12- 14 is quite usual, 11 can sit, 3 can stand or even more.

But 400 for each of these 10 people ??? NEVER EVER !!

So I guess, now I'm a little prepared, if I want go on holiday to this suspicious island... :s

Not interested in such stupid problems.

Bad behaviour but a reasonable sentence considering victim didnt want pursue charges or compensation.

He doesn't have to. It's what we call a "must take" law back home. Like spousal abuse. The state automatically pursues charges.