Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Attack On Tourist

webfact

TT's you mean Audi cars?

Yeah...Audi's....waddaya expect...3 wheelers?!

please try again, only this time in English

Yeah...we got Audi TT's and we have the other TT's...Tuk Tuks aka 3 wheelers.

Hope this helps you.

Sunshine, are you saying that you are on Phuket and that you have 3 wheel tuk tuks?

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bet the TT driver doesn't even know what a suspended sentence is, all he knows is he can go back to work after he pay's this poultry fine.

Great message eh to these morons, and it seems the judiciary don't give a toss about the effect on tourism these guys are having. sad.png

I am not sure how this fines are actually enforced.

From what i have seen, they are not, unless something is taken as a deposit or he is held in the cell until paid up

Folk l know that have been fined whistling.gif must find the cash or stay in ''cook'', the family has to have a whip round if they like the ''cooked''. sad.png

Lot of people, must have been a stretch tuk tuk.

LOL, good one.

I have lived here for 3 years now and have never been to Puckett and spent one night in Pattaya.

After visiting Pattaya once I never went back. But I can see why it is a tourist town.

Where is Puckett? is it near Phuket?

I have personally witnessed or observed (i.e. with my own two eyes) far more instances of tourists being rude, disrespectful, and generally inconsiderate and/or condescending towards Thais, then I've ever seen Thais act that way towards tourists or farangs in general. (Those instances do not include any tuk tuk incidents, as I've never actually witnessed any.)

But whether it be at a bar, a restaurant, a shop or 7-Eleven, a street vendor or souvenir stall, I'm often embarrassed at how some farangs, without any provocation, turn aggressive towards and mistreat and verbally abuse Thais. That is not to excuse using violence to resolve such problems, but it does explain how frustration can lead up to and often intensify these kinds of incidents.

Some of the tourists coming here of late, are just not very nice, and not very understanding of the culture and language differences, and that often contributes to these problems getting out of hand. And too many are not patient or tolerant enough to try and resolve their differences in a good natured way. Jai yen yen!

• Like 2

I have personally witnessed or observed (i.e. with my own two eyes) far more instances of tourists being rude, disrespectful, and generally inconsiderate and/or condescending towards Thais, then I've ever seen Thais act that way towards tourists or farangs in general. (Those instances do not include any tuk tuk incidents, as I've never actually witnessed any.)

But whether it be at a bar, a restaurant, a shop or 7-Eleven, a street vendor or souvenir stall, I'm often embarrassed at how some farangs, without any provocation, turn aggressive towards and mistreat and verbally abuse Thais. That is not to excuse using violence to resolve such problems, but it does explain how frustration can lead up to and often intensify these kinds of incidents.

Some of the tourists coming here of late, are just not very nice, and not very understanding of the culture and language differences, and that often contributes to these problems getting out of hand. And too many are not patient or tolerant enough to try and resolve their differences in a good natured way. Jai yen yen!

Some of the tourists coming here are not very nice in their own country and bring it with them. bah.gif

Just one more case of the untouchable tuk tuk mafia. The front of the next edition of every English language newspaper in Thailand should read in 4cm high bold: "Court Delivers Message to Tuk Tuk mafia: It's Open Season on Tourists." Disguisting.

Did you even bother to read the article....the driver was prosecuted, fined and given a suspended sentance...hardly untouchable.

All right during the slump in Europe and a slowdown in China, plus political rumblings, constant crime, brazen corruption, floods... I'd feel bad for Phuket locals but I won't waste my any more thought on it; they won't notice anyways, except that later they'll have no money and they'll be in desperate need of 30-baht-insurance schemes. The collective IQ in this country has to be dangerously close to negative territory. It's getting to the point where I wouldn't even recommend that my enemies come to Thailand. I've never understood why they don't just institute an honor code in the prisons and then just go bury their heads where they find it most comfortable: in the sand.

Edited by Unkomoncents

Just one more case of the untouchable tuk tuk mafia. The front of the next edition of every English language newspaper in Thailand should read in 4cm high bold: "Court Delivers Message to Tuk Tuk mafia: It's Open Season on Tourists." Disguisting.

Did you even bother to read the article....the driver was prosecuted, fined and given a suspended sentance...hardly untouchable.

Suspended means he doesn't serve any time, just pays a small fine.

300 or 400 baht. They state from where to where....... does anyone know what the distance was and how much the fare should normally be????

However far it was with TEN people in the tuk tuk it was only 30 or 40 baht each, even for a short distance reasonable price.

thats 4 x the cost of a pattaya songtaew which is a similar vehicle , how can they justify charging 400% more , same country is'nt it ?

I don't want to defend the tuk tuk driver, but when I have agreed something with a thai at the beginning of something , no problem on the arrival

here, the Egyptian didn't respect the contrat

the driver said Ok for 6 people, and there where 10 people

som nom na for the Egyptian, he didn't respect what has been decided at the beginning

Seems like a fair sentence...

As for the damages to tourism, without condoning violence, 10 egyptians piling into a tuk-tuk refusing to pay 40bht each, no sure it's the kind of tourist Thailand needs in the first place.

These are the large Phuket tuk tuks, not the little mealy ones, which is beside the point anyways. NOWHERE in Thailand would a Thai EVER pay by the person for transportation like this, there is one charge for the vehicle, be it one person or 10. In Bangkok, to go 1km in a nice airconditioned taxi with a polite driver happy to have the work is 40 baht, so yeah, the Egyptians have every dam_n right not to pay these scum.

• Like 1

I don't want to defend the tuk tuk driver, but when I have agreed something with a thai at the beginning of something , no problem on the arrival

here, the Egyptian didn't respect the contrat

the driver said Ok for 6 people, and there where 10 people

som nom na for the Egyptian, he didn't respect what has been decided at the beginning

were you there at the time? if not, how do you know that the agreement was for 6 people? and was not for the trip?

If the trip was for 1-2 person,, does that mean the price would have been 50-100 baht?

Last time i was in Phuket, they would not move for less than 200 baht and 200 baht gets you 100 meters up the road.

Sends out a clear message to tourist's Do not waste your time reporting thugs only if they are falang because we will not punish our own brothers to the extent that we do if it was a falang !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, sure, whatever... but rightly or wrongly, most Thais don't consider Arabs to be 'farang'...

Some of the tourists coming here are not very nice in their own country and bring it with them. bah.gif

I have also witnessed the same thing, which is inexcusable and sad, but I'm afraid the Phuket mafia are a different breed. I speak fairly decent Thai and would have to say that every time I have visited Phuket, I have found them to be some of the most disgusting human beings I have ever come in contact with. Phuket is one of the few towns in the world where the local and only form of public transportation drivers regularly beat up and harass their passengers, the ones who pay for them to live.

10 more happy tourists. Keep up the good work. smile.png

Sorry, I don't agree. The deal was 6 tourists for 300bt. That's 50bt per tourist.

The tuk-tuk driver can count to 10, so can I.

He only wanted an extra 100bt for the other 4 tourists. That's a great discount. The Egyptian should have been ecstatic.

But no, the 10 rich tourists had to try and scam the tuk-tuk driver, didn't they!

For what? 100bt .... that's three freakin' dollars .... for heaven's sake!

Was it worth it for $3? They've probably spent $15,000 between the 10 of them for this holiday ... and they're making a fuss over $3.

I am THOROUGHLY SICK AND TIRED of this sort of attitude from foreigners towards Thai workers.

Wake up .... the lot of you!

I'm usually charged 70-100bt. I always tip a tuk-tuk driver a 20. I always tip a taxi driver a 50. For a buck or two, we both walk away with a smile.

We all tip in the US, UK, or Australia ... but when we get to Bangkok, rich tourists suddenly turn into misers, scrouges, and whingers.

Where is that tuk-tuk driver? I'll pay his fine - for the moral wrong - and shout him and his family dinner for standing up for himself!

3 cheers

You're mental, mate. So because the tourists complained and according to the driver spoke rudely to him, the tourist deserves to be bloodied in front of his family and kids. This has nothing to do with a fare seeming reasonable to you. It has to do with these tuk tuk guys, particularly the ones at the top of Bangla rd being vile, vile people that resort to violence at the slightest provocation.

A visitor to Cairo trying the same stunt on a local taxi driver ( 10 for the price of 6 ) and then arguing about it, would be lucky to get away with only a black eye !

have you been to Cairo? do you have personal experiences in Egypt?

How can 10 people get into a tuk tuk?

Impossible.

Someone this story doesn`t ring true.

It's a Phuket tuk tuk so essentially a small 4 wheeled truck. And the article said "family" so likely some of them were kids. It's not easy, but 10 can fit, especially if you put one or two in the cab with the driver which is common.

sharing%20_tuk_tuk_1.jpg

“We always have meetings with taxi operators, asking them to exercise self-control. Some of them are not very well-educated; they do not quite understand that when they harm tourists, they will have to suffer the consequences, or that it will damage the tourism industry that sustains them,” he said.

What does education have to do with it? You can grow up in a garbage dump and know that sucker punching a tourist will harm tourism. 8 stitches around the left eye, heck, he could have blinded the guy. Even by Thai standards, the fine was too light. Should have been Bt.6,000 and suspend the taxi license for a month (do those guys even have taxi licenses?)

Yes, there are two systems in place. The official government one and the taxi mafia. Much more important to pay the mafia than the government. (Not tongue in cheek)

300 or 400 baht. They state from where to where....... does anyone know what the distance was and how much the fare should normally be????

However far it was with TEN people in the tuk tuk it was only 30 or 40 baht each, even for a short distance reasonable price.

thats 4 x the cost of a pattaya songtaew which is a similar vehicle , how can they justify charging 400% more , same country is'nt it ?

Two words: taxi mafia.

Plus your Pattaya songtaws are on a fixed route, unless you hire it out completely. Phuket tuk tuks are point to point then have to return empty because each "co-op" (that's the official term they use) protects its turf. If a tuk tuk picks up a customer outside his own turf, he risks being beat up by rival "co-op" members.

The victim didn't want to press charges or accept compensation, but still they considered it a serious enough offence to sentence the guy anyway, and actually the sentence isn't particularly light, suspended jail term and fairly big fine (by Thai standards). Surely this is a positive outcome???

Depends on how big a moan you arelaugh.png I would have thought a sentence like this would be what you would expect had it happened in the UK eg.

Good sensible post clap2.gif

Don't condone violence, but the tuk tuk was the guy being ripped off here.

Its funny you say that because Phuket tuk tuks are the only for hire form of transport I have ever heard of that demand extra money for each extra person, yet somehow the tuk tuk guy was getting ripped off. Bangkok taxi's don't do this. No way you can be serious. You must be a troll.

This seems like a completely fair outcome. The Egyptian was being a jerk. He didn't deserve to be punched, but it does seem that he provoked the incident. I don't understand why so many people in this forum continue to stay in Thailand when they seem to hate everything about it.

• Like 1

10 more happy tourists. Keep up the good work. smile.png

Sorry, I don't agree. The deal was 6 tourists for 300bt. That's 50bt per tourist.

The tuk-tuk driver can count to 10, so can I.

He only wanted an extra 100bt for the other 4 tourists. That's a great discount. The Egyptian should have been ecstatic.

But no, the 10 rich tourists had to try and scam the tuk-tuk driver, didn't they!

For what? 100bt .... that's three freakin' dollars .... for heaven's sake!

Was it worth it for $3? They've probably spent $15,000 between the 10 of them for this holiday ... and they're making a fuss over $3.

I am THOROUGHLY SICK AND TIRED of this sort of attitude from foreigners towards Thai workers.

Wake up .... the lot of you!

I'm usually charged 70-100bt. I always tip a tuk-tuk driver a 20. I always tip a taxi driver a 50. For a buck or two, we both walk away with a smile.

We all tip in the US, UK, or Australia ... but when we get to Bangkok, rich tourists suddenly turn into misers, scrouges, and whingers.

Where is that tuk-tuk driver? I'll pay his fine - for the moral wrong - and shout him and his family dinner for standing up for himself!

3 cheers

I think you missed my sarcastic point.

What I meant was, there are now 10 tourist who have had a very negative holiday experience on Phuket and will go home and tell their friends. One of the 10 will probably bare a visable scar for the rest of his life (the cut requiring stitches) This is not what sustainable tourism is all about.

Do you actually live in Phuket? The minimum payment just to hop in the tuk-tuks here is 200 baht, not 70 - 100 baht.

Australia does not have a tipping culture.