Phuket Tuk-Tuk Driver Gets Suspended Sentence For Attack On Tourist

webfact

Seems like a fair sentence...

As for the damages to tourism, without condoning violence, 10 egyptians piling into a tuk-tuk refusing to pay 40bht each, no sure it's the kind of tourist Thailand needs in the first place.

Who said they were asked for 400 Baht EACH? Read the story again

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This seems like a completely fair outcome. The Egyptian was being a jerk. He didn't deserve to be punched, but it does seem that he provoked the incident. I don't understand why so many people in this forum continue to stay in Thailand when they seem to hate everything about it.

I do not hate Thailand, but i do hate Phuket Tuk Tuks so i do not live in Phuketthumbsup.gif

And how do you arrive at conclusion that people hate Thailand when they do not agree with Tuk Tuk behavior in Phuket?

I think the conclusion understandably comes from the habitual 'bashing' of Thais and Thailand seen in the forums here. You're right in regard to this specific thread, but in almost any topic that gets started, there seem to be a good number of people who have nothing good to say about the country and its people. So one naturally wonders why they continue to subject themselves to such unhappiness...

A tuk tuk is a 3 wheeler and accomadates 3 to 4 passengers max. Amazingly, the driver accepted 6.

Even more amazing though is, that the Egyptians managed 10 people into it. Love to see a pic of that

The fare of 40 Baht/person is ridiculous of course.

No. A Phuket tuk tuk is a small truck. You can fit 10 people in it, especially if some are children as it appears may have been the case here, and one or two ride in the cab. Because tuk tuks are controlled by mafia, prices are set 3 to 10 times what they are elsewhere in Thailand. They are priced specifically for the tourists. Phuket is the only place in Thailand where this occurs. Local people have no affordable way to get around the island.

blog10.JPG

Way to prove a point; a picture of a tuk tuk crammed with 7 tiny Thai girls! Try fitting 10 normal size people in there... 6 is a squeeze.

In Phuket prices are generally higher than the rest of Thailand, why? Because the cost of living is much higher here. Any given Tul Tuk driver will be paying 2/3 times more rent than the equivalent driver in Bangkok, increased food prices etc.

They don't do the job for the love of driving drunken farang around Phuket's version of sin city, they do it to pay their bills and support their family.

As for local people not having an affordable way to get around the island, that's complete tosh. Most use motorbikes - what comes cheaper than that? Tuk Tuks operate in Patong, tourist central. The rest of Phuket is served by Songthaew, Taxis, Motorbike Taxis and cheaper than Patong Tuk Tuks...

A tuk tuk is a 3 wheeler and accomadates 3 to 4 passengers max. Amazingly, the driver accepted 6.

Even more amazing though is, that the Egyptians managed 10 people into it. Love to see a pic of that

No. A Phuket tuk tuk is a small truck. You can fit 10 people in it, especially if some are children as it appears may have been the case here, and one or two ride in the cab.

blog10.JPG

I was hoping someone was awake, Patong doesn't have 3 wheeled tuk tuks like the rest of the country.

Only these imported Japanese Daihatsu Hijets. They seat 6 adults at a squeeze but only have 600CC of grunt.

Everyone calls them Tuk Tuk anyway.....Great photo.

Wrong. Totally disagree. 1zgarz5.gif That's the 7 you see on the near side, there's 7 on the other side + 2 in the front if the driver chooses to kick his Mia noi out and make her wait, probably to hook a john for a cheap trick, until he gets back to the rank.

They have boosted the output up to 660 cc so they aint no slouch down a 1 in 2 slope. Around Patong, flat country, licence to print money.

That's why I believe the going rate to buy one of these shit boxes with yellow plate second-hand is around 1.2 million Baht

In reply to poster #61 Philip Cook

" Limit the number of passengers to the number of approved seatbelts with seats on the vehicle. "

Must be joking. You obviously dont live in Phuket. I defy you to find a seat belt in any public service passenger vehicle except for the driver and in exceptional cases, the front seat passenger.

" Ladies and gentleman, I hope you have enjoyed your journey with us today, survivors to the left, walking wounded to the right. Those in bodybags please remain prone until assisted by an attendant. "

You're a bit mixed up aren't you?

You start your post by claiming that the driver's out of order for not squeezing in 18 passengers, then finish by making a point that they are dangerous as they don't require all passengers to wear seatbelts?!!!

Which is it? Seatbelts or maximum passengers, with seatbelts there's no way you could have more than 3 each side, 6 passengers total... you strike me as someone that will moan either way.

what on earth is the point of using a TUK TUK anyway?

They have no meters, are over priced, are hardly faster than a taxi

<deleted> just stop using them and get a cab, or if 10 persons wanted to go 1km (x2 Cabs) it would still be less than 400 baht!!!

Welcome to Thailand, Phuket does not have have cabs, not does Pattaya.

Well, Pattaya does have a few, though they NEVER use a meter and ALWAYS charge crazy rates

Quite clear that you have no idea what you are talking about. Roughly half of the posters on this thread seem to have absolutely no knowledge of Phuket whatsoever, why even post if you know you are talking BS?

Yes, Phuket does have cabs, motorbike taxis, songthaew and tuk tuks. Tuk Tuks are the most expensive way to travel out of these 4 options. Other methods of transport include driving yourself in whatever vehicle you fancy renting/buying, using your legs and my favourite, bicycle power...

What about the 10 people instead of 6? In my hotel, we've had people booking a room for 2 people then on the CCTV, we see the remaining family members sneaking into the room. The guest is then asked to book more rooms or leave which usually finishes with the people leaving because the scam didn't work. The tuk tuk driver should have counted the people before he started off (which I'm sure he did) and informed of the price change at the start, not at the end but taxi drivers are the same the world over, "greedy" and in most cases the passenger pays up. The Egyptian should have paid the 300B and waked away. He's from Egypt for heavens sake. He should be well aware of taxi scams. Not sure you would get this amount of publicity (bad for tourism and all that) in Cairo.

Exactly!!!!!!!!

With hotel though, if more people stay it does mean higher expanse, such as more electric, more water, more towels, more washing and possibly broken mattress etc. In tuk tuk case, it did not cost him the same to have 1 person or 10 people, because the "guest" rented out the car for the trip.

And you are also correct, driver and they always do, wait for everyone to load in before they get into the car, so he was well aware of the extra people, but chose to keep his mouth shut till the very end.

Also it does not say anywhere who the extra 4 were, they may have been the kids

And IF the driver felt ripped off or scammed, he could have always contacted the police

Little off topic, but very relevant.

Some years ago a 7-11 alike store in Darling Harbor Sydney was charging tourists double for drinks(do not recall the full details)

The owner was charged and convicted.

He was fined $300 000

$300 000 back then was a price for 1 bedroom unit in the city.

Yes it was way over the top punishment, but it sure send the message to everyone else.

This seems like a completely fair outcome. The Egyptian was being a jerk. He didn't deserve to be punched, but it does seem that he provoked the incident. I don't understand why so many people in this forum continue to stay in Thailand when they seem to hate everything about it.

I do not hate Thailand, but i do hate Phuket Tuk Tuks so i do not live in Phuketthumbsup.gif

And how do you arrive at conclusion that people hate Thailand when they do not agree with Tuk Tuk behavior in Phuket?

tuk tuks are obviously a pivotal part of your life... to the extent that you decide where you live based on where has the cheapest tuk tuks?!

Wow, I've been living in Phuket for years and must have used a tuk tuk about 10 times, never had an issue, always used as a convenience transport when pissed in Patong.. a rare occurrence given that I detest the place and the people it attracts.

I find if you actually live somewhere there's no alternative to buying yourself your own set of wheels... and outside of Patong, I rarely even see tuk tuks on Phuket!

I think the conclusion understandably comes from the habitual 'bashing' of Thais and Thailand seen in the forums here. You're right in regard to this specific thread, but in almost any topic that gets started, there seem to be a good number of people who have nothing good to say about the country and its people. So one naturally wonders why they continue to subject themselves to such unhappiness...

only this thread is not about thailand or its people, this thread is about tuk tuk drivers in Phuket and all the "negative" comments i see so far are about tuk tuk drivers and authority who allows for this to take place.

Do read my post 219, how Australia dealt with price gauging for tourists and try to find an example of Thailand doing anything REAL.

You also have to keep in mind that a vast majority of members are not expats but regular tourists. So if they have been scammed a few times and met the "nice" Thai people, what opinion do you think they would form?

The number of people is TOTALLY irrelevant, this is NOT a bus selling tickets per sit, its a taxi which charges for a ride.

I hope you NOT trying to say that if it was only 2 people the price would have been 1/3rolleyes.gif

It depends what the fella did. I'm not violent but if you get in my face and start yelling at me and don't go away when I tell you to then I'd <deleted> you in the eye as well.

Yes, you are violent. That is not normal behavior.

Actually I believe you wouldn't, you're just being a keyboard warrior.

The number of people is TOTALLY irrelevant, this is NOT a bus selling tickets per sit, its a taxi which charges for a ride.

I hope you NOT trying to say that if it was only 2 people the price would have been 1/3rolleyes.gif

Well it's not totally irrelevant as Phuket tuk tuks do charge more for additional people. Always have. It's an officially stated policy. They shouldn't, but they do.

The culture of casual violence against tourists in Thailand is reason enough that I no longer take family holidays in the coubtry, despite living here

The limited education and most Thais and their pseudo cultural values make living abd working here a challenge at the best of times.

Friends back home increasingly see Thailand for what it is and the genie is out of the bottle. My main holiday last year was to N Iraq. I felt far safer there and enjoyed a far more genuine welcome that thailand

Well it's not totally irrelevant as Phuket tuk tuks do charge more for additional people. Always have. It's an officially stated policy. They shouldn't, but they do.

they also charge 10 times the official taxi rates, they should not but they dothumbsup.gif

Seems like a pretty reasonable outcome all round to me.

Argument about a fare for a lot of people in a tuk tuk. A bit of fist flying, nothing too serious, no one beaten to death or stabbed.

Tuk tuk driver arrested, apologised.

The tourist accepted the apology and declined compensation.

Police prosecuted and fined him anyway - a not insubstantial amount, with a suspended sentence. Seems like a pretty average sentence for the crime.

So what's the problem?

Agree with those who wonder why anyone bothers with Phuket though, let alone taking a tuk tuk there.

When will the Thai authorities realise that transport is an essential public service and should not be controlled by a criminal group.

Transport is similar to medical, education, water and electricity supply. Could you imagine a "doctor mafia" or a "teacher mafia?" It would cause major problems.

During low season, many decent hotel rooms are selling for 1000 baht. Get a tuk-tuk to the beach or to go shopping, 200 baht. Go home to shower or drop your shopping off, 200 baht. Get another tuk-tuk to go out and see Bangla Road, 200 baht. Go home after your night out, 400 baht (price doubles at night) This equals 1000 baht just for these 4 short journeys that most tourist do everyday of their holiday. Now, add an excursion to explore the island and they are paying even more. They are paying more for transport than they are for their accommodation.

For many, particularly families, transport is the biggest expense of their holiday here. It's a ridiculous situation and a cost they never expected because they know it shouldn't be that way. They go home knowning they were ripped off by tuk-tuk drivers here. Many may not return.

This situation is killing Phuket tourism.

My main holiday last year was to N Iraq. I felt far safer there and enjoyed a far more genuine welcome that thailand

cheesy.gif aside from a few road side bombs, its all safe and openblink.png

I think my next holiday i will take my family to Afghanistan, i hear beaches are just superbthumbsup.gif

What I find amazing is the speed in which this clown of a tuk tuk driver had his case heard in court. All other cases where a foreigner is accused of committing an act, they are threatened with passport revocation, a nice overstay fine due to waiting for justice, or offered a "plead guilty" option and then forced into paying a fine. Even the one foreigner a year or two ago that got beat up ended up in this same scenario. Thais also know that justice is slow and what usually happens is a deal is made, bank notes change hands, and the whole thing is forgotten.

This whole episode is really just a dog and pony show to "restore Phuket's reputation" for tourism. I'm not buying into it, nor am I drinking their cool aid.

What normally happens in these tuk tuk assault cases is the driver files counter charges or threatens to file counter charges against the tourist and the cops explain to the tourist that if the driver does this, it may mean an extended stay on the island. Faced with having the police hold their passport, possible jail time, the cost of additional days at a hotel and having to buy another flight home, the tourist ends up dropping the charges. That may in fact be what has happened here, but we will never know. This concept that assaulting a tourist is a "non-compoundable" offense which does not require the victim to press charges, but instead requires the state to file charges on his or her behalf is new to me. I am wondering why this has never been mentioned in the multitude of other cases where the tourists drop the charges at the threat of being detained due to counter charges.

• Like 1

What would Thaivisa do without Phuket tuk-tuks?

A thread about them always goes into the hundreds of posts.

Haven't read a single post on this thread that isn't a repeat of what has been said on all the other threads.

True that except for the bit of info from Nomad Joe in post 237 commenting on my earlier post.

300 or 400 baht. They state from where to where....... does anyone know what the distance was and how much the fare should normally be????

However far it was with TEN people in the tuk tuk it was only 30 or 40 baht each, even for a short distance reasonable price.

The charge now is 40/50 baht per person so the charge of 400 baht was fair,the lying Egyptian got what he deserved.

300 or 400 baht. They state from where to where....... does anyone know what the distance was and how much the fare should normally be????

However far it was with TEN people in the tuk tuk it was only 30 or 40 baht each, even for a short distance reasonable price.

The charge now is 40/50 baht per person so the charge of 400 baht was fair,the lying Egyptian got what he deserved.

Where's this? It's certainly not in Phuket as those of us that live here can tell you. 200 baht minimum to get the (tiny) motor started.

No. A Phuket tuk tuk is a small truck. You can fit 10 people in it, especially if some are children as it appears may have been the case here, and one or two ride in the cab. Because tuk tuks are controlled by mafia, prices are set 3 to 10 times what they are elsewhere in Thailand. They are priced specifically for the tourists. Phuket is the only place in Thailand where this occurs. Local people have no affordable way to get around the island.

blog10.JPG

Way to prove a point; a picture of a tuk tuk crammed with 7 tiny Thai girls! Try fitting 10 normal size people in there... 6 is a squeeze.

Yes, there are 7 Thai people in this tuk tuk with plenty of room to spare, and there is room for 2 more in the cab. 6 in the back is absolutely not a squeeze. 8 normal sized adults can fit on the benches comfortably. It gets crowded after that for sure, and sometimes people even ride standing on the back. Weight will start being an issue, but that's 11 people total. You can fit more than that if there are kids or small adults. That's taking it to the extreme, but it very clearly can be done. This guy was with his family so it's very possible some of the 10 were children. If you read comment I was replying to, it was "A tuk tuk is a 3 wheeler and accommodates 3 to 4 passengers max." Clearly many people posting here that have never been to Phuket don't know what a Phuket Tuk Tuk is.

Here are some more pictures to help you with your spacial acuity problems.

sharing%20_tuk_tuk_1.jpg

TukTuk-03.jpg

20100209094318_1_normal.jpg

20100211172258_1_normal.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe

Seems like a fair sentence...

As for the damages to tourism, without condoning violence, 10 egyptians piling into a tuk-tuk refusing to pay 40bht each, no sure it's the kind of tourist Thailand needs in the first place.

After negotiating a price for........6

What the tuk tuk driver did is NOT acceptable. But on another hand, the customer tried to cheat...

Yes, there are 7 Thai people in this tuk tuk with plenty of room to spare, and there is room for 2 more in the cab. 6 in the back is absolutely not a squeeze. 8 normal sized adults can fit on the benches comfortably. It gets crowded after that for sure, and sometimes people even ride standing on the back. Weight will start being an issue, but that's 11 people total. You can fit more than that if there are kids or small adults. That's taking it to the extreme, but it very clearly can be done. This guy was with his family so it's very possible some of the 10 were children. If you read comment I was replying to, it was "A tuk tuk is a 3 wheeler and accommodates 3 to 4 passengers max." Clearly many people posting here that have never been to Phuket don't know what a Phuket Tuk Tuk is.

Here are some more pictures to help you with your spacial acuity problems.

sharing%20_tuk_tuk_1.jpg

TukTuk-03.jpg

20100209094318_1_normal.jpg

20100211172258_1_normal.jpg

Every photo you have posted shows quite clearly that 10 passengers can't fit safely into the back of a tuk tuk! The most in any of the posted photos show 7...and these are blatantly crammed in!

Photo 1 - 6 tiny Thai girls and a Thai man, clearly using up both benches... we could possibly squeeze another girl and a dog in there at best!

Photo 2 - 6 possibly 7 very slim young farang! Clearly no more people are fitting in this tuk tuk and these are not average sized farang!

Photo 3 - Appears to be 6 more average sized farang, again no way 10 will fit in... another 4 people in the back of this one, really?!

Photo 4 - Appears to have 2 passengers in the back and a drunk farang showing off on back... not sure what this proves, farang trully can act stupidly on holiday? Certainly not that 10 people can fit into a tuk tuk...

Photo 5 - Again 2 or 3 passengers in the back with a guy hanging off the back...

Surely if you are trying to prove that 10 passengers fit comfortably into the back of a tuk tuk you would post photos showing this common feat of ... I suggest you can't because it isn't normal, it's taking the p!$$! I

'm quite sure you could fit 10 people in if you really tried but it would be unsafe, uncomfortable and certainly not a normal occurrence. I think an extra 100 baht is quite reasonable for attempting some sort of Guiness World record number of Egyptians in a tuk tuk experiment...