Is Chiang Mai Becoming Too Trendy

Rinrada

K.wife has just heard that some famous Thai pop star with a Scottish name has just bought a bit of land next to us out in Mae On and plans on building a house and maybe even a recording studio...ye gods what next....groupies and hangers,fashion mags and big brother...whats the score?

My future idea was always of a quiet peacefull (one day) leasurely retirement sitting on the mountainside watching our buffalos lazing about in the cool summers air with perhaps me lighting up the old BBQ and chucking on a couple of pounds of walls sausages trying to give everyone "salmonela" or something ...plus some decent scotch......but ..now ...Pop Stars?

......whos next ...davy bowie,micky jagger...madonna ...My-kel Jack-son.....heaven help us......

So is that it .. will C.M.be the new Beverly Hills of South EastAsia..aint anywhere sacred...struth.. :o

He already has a house/farm and land on right hand side of road on way to Chiang rai - would be north of Mae On. Can't remember name of district. Probably buying up land to extend what he already has - maybe that brings him closer to Mae On.

Cant do that at the mo.....

Just bought another 3 Rai to join up the 2 bits that we bought 2 years ago to let me buffalos(in the future) walk between them in peace and quiet.

Dont however need any more celebs in San-kham-peng...do we...? :o

Just bought another 3 Rai to join up the 2 bits that we bought 2 years ago to let me buffalos(in the future) walk between them in peace and quiet.

You mean that there are, somewhere in Thailand, water buffalos which are still well enough to be able to walk ? :o

This will come as seriously-disappointing news, to certain BGs, whom I used to know :D

Stars from BKK's film and music industries have been setting up homes in Chiang Mai for years, dating back to at least the 80s. Comedian Note Udom built a house off Nimanhemin Rd last year.

BTW 'Bird' Thongchai (not Somchai) McIntyre is quite rich, and owns property all over Thailand. I'm sure he won't be spending a lot of time in one place. He's a quarter Scottish.

Phee Bird

You should be glad, it may boost the value of your Mae On property. One thing about building houses in beautiful, semi-remote locales is that if it's a nice area, other people will soon be building next door. Best thing to do is buy enough land that you can't see or hear them when they do.