Another Stroll Down A Different Lane For Really Older Brits

Hello children, do you remember me, MacDonald Hobley or Uncle Mac to you.

Well if you tickle your cats whiskers on your homemade crystal set, perhaps warm up the valves on Daddy's big radio and crank up your hearing aids I will take you back to a happier time.

There used to be a big radio station in a small country on the continent that we used to listen to in the evenings.

And later on in years there were some more radio stations that the government hated and wanted to ban.

The big radio station was up and running after the war and that is where a lot of the early DJ's learned their trade.

Do you remember this man?

Horace Batchelor's Infra-draw method

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/memories/snippets/snippets16.htm

How about Radio Luxembourg

http://www.transdiffusion.org/radio/commercial/luxy1

Auntie Beeb

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/radio/dickbarton.htm

Radio London

http://www.radiolondon.co.uk/kneesflashes/stationprofile/hist.html

Radio Caroline

http://www.mds975.co.uk/Content/pirateradio.html

How about a YouTube

The government wanted to ban them

http://suite101.com/article/60s-pirate-radio-revolutionised-british-popular-broadcasting-a222446

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't remember his name or even google it... late 50's

but wasn't there some guy that you has to spot and identidy to win a prize?

It was done by various newspapers over the years, they sent people to seaside resorts and anyone who was carrying a newspaper could challenge them "you are ?? and I claim my prize" I think Lobby Ludd was the original and the Daily Mirror? had Chalkie White

Can't remember his name or even google it... late 50's

but wasn't there some guy that you has to spot and identidy to win a prize?

It was done by various newspapers over the years, they sent people to seaside resorts and anyone who was carrying a newspaper could challenge them "you are ?? and I claim my prize" I think Lobby Ludd was the original and the Daily Mirror? had Chalkie White

Yep! Thats the one! Memories. Never ever did find him!

My favourite radio in the 60s was the Sunday afternoon comedy shows. Jimmy Clitheroe, Round The Horne, Al Read.

In our house it was Sunday dinner (not lunch if you're from the northern working classes),smile.png , spent listening to 2 or 3 way Family Favourites, the Billy Cotton bandshow, (my dad's favourite), then up stairs to listen to my tranny* for the comedy shows.

For non-Brits :

* tranny - abbreviation of transistor radio, NOT a Gentleman who likes to dress up as a Lady - those chaps on Little Britain were joking !!

My favourite radio in the 60s was the Sunday afternoon comedy shows. Jimmy Clitheroe, Round The Horne, Al Read.

In our house it was Sunday dinner (not lunch if you're from the northern working classes),smile.png , spent listening to 2 or 3 way Family Favourites, the Billy Cotton bandshow, (my dad's favourite), then up stairs to listen to my tranny* for the comedy shows.

For non-Brits :

* tranny - abbreviation of transistor radio, NOT a Gentleman who likes to dress up as a Lady - those chaps on Little Britain were joking !!

The same for me except that we only had gas, no electricity (I used to live in Poole in the south) and the radio had a big 90 volt battery and rechargeable accumulators for the valve heaters.

My Dad used to let me help to take them down the road to the garage for recharging and they had loads of them on charge in a big shed around the back.

For non-Brits :

The same for me except that we only had gas, no electricity (I used to live in Poole in the south) and the radio had a big 90 volt battery and rechargeable accumulators for the valve heaters.

My Dad used to let me help to take them down the road to the garage for recharging and they had loads of them on charge in a big shed around the back.

Blimey, reminds me of my crystal set. Jump in bed, head under the covers and listen to the magic from the box. Hmmm, how times have changed eh. sad.png
  • Like 1

For non-Brits :

Blimey, reminds me of my crystal set. Jump in bed, head under the covers and listen to the magic from the box. Hmmm, how times have changed eh. sad.png

To be able to do the same,and listen to Radio Luxembourg,I bought one of the first imported Japanese Pocket size transistor Radios,which cost me a whopping £15,in those days 5 weeks of my apprenticeship wages,seemed like it took forever to pay it off.........Mad or what!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

For non-Brits :

To be able to do the same,and listen to Radio Luxembourg,I bought one of the first imported Japanese Pocket size transistor Radios,which cost me a whopping £15,in those days 5 weeks of my apprenticeship wages,seemed like it took forever to pay it off.........Mad or what!

Nooooooooooo, we worked for our stuff eh. clap2.gif

Majic, you were lucky, three quid a week ? My first wage as an apprentice was 2 Pounds, 2 Shillings, and 10 Pence ha'penny.....though why the ha'penny I have no idea!

But it went a long way, as the young 'un in the factory, I had to make the tea, and do the morning bacon sandwich run to the local greasy spoon, I used to make more in tips than I did wages.

Majic, you were lucky, three quid a week ? My first wage as an apprentice was 2 Pounds, 2 Shillings, and 10 Pence ha'penny.....though why the ha'penny I have no idea!

But it went a long way, as the young 'un in the factory, I had to make the tea, and do the morning bacon sandwich run to the local greasy spoon, I used to make more in tips than I did wages.

Yea it was great doing the shop run,surprising how it took an hour,and it was only a quarter of a mile away.wink.png

My first wage was £5 a week in 1959 working in a milk depot from 8.30 to 4.30 7 days a week on the milk bottling plant.

We got 2 x 15 minute tea breaks with free tea and 30 minutes for lunch, byo or nip down the cafe 5 minutes away and as much free milk as you want to drink.

We bottled 1/3 pints for the schools, 1/2 pints, pints and quarts, ordinary silver tops gold top Channel Island, red top TT ested and cream.

Bill, I can remember our junior school collecting the milk bottle tops, to pay for guide dogs for the Blind. I can't recall when the collecting stopped, (we used to bring them from home, and from neighbours and family, as well) - probably when the government stopped giving kids free school milk.

A personal question - did you wear winkle pickers or brothel creepers to work ? biggrin.png

'Evening All'...Dixon of Dock Green.

San ISAL toilet paper...the hard shiny side .

Smiths Crisps with the blue paper twist of salt.

In Bristol,but dont know about anywhere else.penny Vantas drink,red and green.

'Scrump' from the bits of batter in the fish & chip shop.

Donald Peers....The whistling guy...Ronnie Ronald.

Tommy Handly..ITMA on saturday night and Mrs Mopp,,'can I do you now sir?.'

Saturday morning kids cinema.

Thousands more...but what the hell...all gone now,time to stop living in the past I guess!

Edited by gennisis

Thousands more...but what the hell...all gone now,time to stop living in the past I guess!

You forgot Tit Bits magazine that was on all the paper stalls , not that l ever read it. whistling.gif

Still remember listening to Radio Luxembourg on the parents "radiogramme" a huge walnut veneered valve powered piece of furniture. One hand on the tuning knob to try to overcome fading. The programme that first comes to mind is Dan Dare Pilot of the Future, anyone remember that, early fifties ? I was only about ten at the time.

Still remember listening to Radio Luxembourg on the parents "radiogramme" a huge walnut veneered valve powered piece of furniture. One hand on the tuning knob to try to overcome fading. The programme that first comes to mind is Dan Dare Pilot of the Future, anyone remember that, early fifties ? I was only about ten at the time.

gotta take a break from my self imposed exile here.....what about :"Journey into Space"..Guy Kingsley pointer? jesus I AM old..lol

Edited by David006

You forgot Tit Bits magazine that was on all the paper stalls , not that l ever read it. whistling.gif

This could go on for ever...how about DICK BARTON...6.45 each night with Snowy and Jock

We were too young to buy Tit Bits,but we sometimes got hold of the Nudist Magazine (forgot the name) you know the one where they managed to grey out the area below the waist!

Edited by MAJIC

We were too young to buy Tit Bits,but we sometimes got hold of the Nudist Magazine (forgot the name) you know the one where they managed to grey out the area below the waist!

huh.png Didn't know about that one, drat. sad.png

Saturday morning kids cinema, the ABC minors, if it was your birthday you could go up on stage and get a prize.....one kid went, and the fella giving out the gifts asked him, "Weren't you here last week ?", "No, that was my twin brother", was the reply. biggrin.png

Was the nature magazine Spick and Span ? whistling.gif

Dixon of Dock Green, another of my Dad's favourites, was a must see in our house, Saturday was the Wrestling, followed by tea, then all tidied up in time for Dixon. It's available on DVD now !

Wasn't that followed by the Black & White Minstrel show ?