Mae Hong Son Loop Revisited A Ride Report

Back in April I did the Mae Hong Son loop and did a ride report. I said I would do it again in a heart beat and given the chance I did

From my last report . . .

"I would go again in a heart beat if asked. Wave or any other bike. We really gave the Wave a work out and used 100% of it at times. There is a ton of shifting again and again that’s not so easy on a wave. I would suggest going on a CBR 150 with a little more range and power if you like to shift, or a Honda PCX150 which might be just as fast because you don’t have to think about shifting. Just sit back and enjoy the ride."

This time again we did it clock wise. CM, Hot, MS, MHS, Pai, CM. Both my friend riding with me and I think maybe getting the worst of the twist and truns done the first day would be better and so next time I will go counter clock wise. We were just wet and tired of all the turns by the time we got back to Highway 107

In April it was down right hot and bare. Much of the land was burned and all the trees were bare. This time it all was a sea of green. And this time it was cooler. 15% of the time it was raining and in the mountians that can get cold. Reminder to bring better rain gear.

90 km south going into MHS some road areas had been re paved for about 15 km. However the heavy trucks had a toll on the road and other sections had more pot holes than I remembered. 1 section also was all torn up and gravel for about 15 km. Some how I get the feeling this is the way on this road, with some new and some poor pavement. I also noted dozens of areas the road had slid down the mountian leaving 1 lane. That was not like that back in April.

My friend rode a CBR 150 and my daughter and I were on a NInja 250. That said, I don't think it was really that much quicker on the 250 than the wave I took last time. Less worry about fuel, but just more work. I could not dream of taking anything larger, it would just be too much work. In the 2 days the Ninja was the largest bike on the road. Then a lifan 200 cross I noticed driving and my friends CBR 150. I think the lighter CBR150 would be better than the Ninja for this route. NO other big bike were seen. Thousands of waves and dreams, a few automatics, but nothing over 125cc.

Aririving into MHS, it was very quiet. maybe off season, maybe mid week not sure. The hotel I stayed last time was empty. when I asked about a room (last time I paid 600 Bt) I was told 1200 Baht. When I pressed the issue more I was told they had rooms for 650 Bt but I could not have them. In the end, the Cottages next door on the lake got my business for 600 Bt. for the night. Found a few nice places to eat next to the lake also.

In the morning my friend wanted to explor route 1250 from MHS. I agreed. Yet some how we ended on 4012. And what was the high lite of my trip. All the way to the Burma boarder and then some past the un manned marker post. We ran into elephants in the road as well as many place the water was just over the road 10 - 30 CM.. I wonder what it would be like while raining ?

I plan to go agian. I would like to explore more side and back roads as well as MHS more. And I think I will go on a PCX150 next trip

• Like 1

post-131287-0-24958600-1341474908_thumb.post-131287-0-60447900-1341474991_thumb.post-131287-0-21317900-1341475045_thumb.post-131287-0-64007500-1341475099_thumb.

post-131287-0-24958600-1341474908_thumb.post-131287-0-60447900-1341474991_thumb.post-131287-0-21317900-1341475045_thumb.post-131287-0-64007500-1341475099_thumb.

JM each to his own but did pretty much the same route a few weeks ago on a Fazer FZ1 (1000cc) and a Ninja 650 cc and it was no huge trouble... yes smaller bikes you can throw arund but MHS loop has some great roads that with added HP you can really have fun on.

Riders of all bikes will enjoy this loop . suggest you actually may want to try a big bike on the loop before making assertions thats it too much work.

• Like 2

I miss that loop all the way from over here in Cali...cant wait to get back and ride it again, heck even the Samoeng loop. Riding in Cali just isnt the same as Thailand.

I think a CBR 250 is a good route for the MHS loop, has more torque down low. I did it a few times on my old CBR 150 but there's definately areas where i wish i was on a biggger bike, or something fuel injected do to elevation for a better air/fuel mix. But was only for like 5% of the loop.

Next time why dont you do the loop properly and use 3006 back to chang mai from mae hong son, also when uoy are in mae hong son 1 of the best places (and reasonable) to eat is the salween river next to motor bike rental on the lake good food pleasent staff they speak good english, if you use 3006 stop off at nong khao klang and say hello you will find me at the school

Next time why dont you do the loop properly and use 3006 back to chang mai from mae hong son, also when uoy are in mae hong son 1 of the best places (and reasonable) to eat is the salween river next to motor bike rental on the lake good food pleasent staff they speak good english, if you use 3006 stop off at nong khao klang and say hello you will find me at the school

Thanks for the pointers. I would really like to take a week and ride it so I could check out every back road and all options along the way.

I am sure I will be doing it again soon