Where Are The Friendliest People In Thailand?

AnandaSatvha

I would like to start a survey of where people on this forum have found the friendliest people in THailand from there own experiences.

For me it seems like in the central region, thai people have been the most polite outside of highly touristed areas.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My landlady is a lovely woman, and her husband, daughter, son in law, granddaughter, the noodle stall lady, all the neighbours and the ice-cream motosai man, all good people, my dog likes them too.

Other people reflect you.

From North to South and from East to West my opinion is the friendliest people are the people I am friendly with.

However I have a soft spot for the North and North East, there will be many who disagree but that is just "my" opinion.

Far too many variables. I have met very nice people all over Thailand and complete rats as well. All depends upon who you meet. There is a good chance the OPs attitude is different in Central Thailand than when he ends up in Pattaya. I don't get involved in the tourist areas at all, so generally get an honest reception; honest as in how they treat all people, not saying they are not trying to rip me off.

I would like to start a survey of where people on this forum have found the friendliest people in THailand from there own experiences.

For me it seems like in the central region, thai people have been the most polite outside of highly touristed areas.

IMHO the friendliest place to live is a place were Thais don't have to live off Foreigners for a living ......

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I agree, its best when they don't come in contact with too many bad foreigners. Places like Pattaya are a collection of unfriendly Thais and low life foreigners.

I do know some nice people in Pattaya so there are always exceptions but in general i have found this rule to be true.

But when people start to know you and you treat them well most will be friendly to you.

So much depends on where you are within any given area and the people you meet there to be able to say one place is better than another. I have found the same as others have said that to be in an area away from the influence of other foreigners does help.

It helps if you can speak some Thai to communicate with the locals when away from the foreign influenced areas. I used to make the effort to be friendly and also willing to help people speak English so we could communicate better. Once that communication is set up I've found many Thai people to be friendly and loyal. It also helps if you frequent certain establishments or areas often so they get to know your face. Otherwise you are simply seen as a foreigner passing through and many may not even bother to talk to you.

Being pleasant and polite helps a lot too. Many good Thai people do not want to associate with some obnoxious foreign person.

It has been my experience the further away you get from areas where people speak English the friendlier they get.

And as far from areas where they had previous contacts....

Thais who never spoke with Farangs believe that Farangs are nice, friendly, helpful and honest.

But this superstition is gone after they met a few.

So my vote is for Nakhon Si Thammerat.

I agree, its best when they don't come in contact with too many bad foreigners. Places like Pattaya are a collection of unfriendly Thais and low life foreigners.

What's a "low life foreigner"?

Terms like "low life foreigner" are commonly used by the same people who would shout "racism!" if you use that term in your Western home country.

• Like 2

the fewer farang around that area, the nicer you will be treated is my experience.

the tourist areas attract sharks and hustlers and they view farang as stupid ATMs.

.....and in most/many cases, their views are correct.

for me, southerners have proved the most genuine. reticent at first, they are loyal to a fault once you have proved yourself and been accepted.

I will always choose friends (in any culture) who offer a chance to earn respect over those that offer superficial acceptance upon meeting.

Edited by tinfoilhat

It has been my experience the further away you get from areas where people speak English the friendlier they get.

Thais who never spoke with Farangs believe that Farangs are nice, friendly, helpful and honest.

You gotta be kidding... The hospitality in that city is as friendly as the weather in the rainy season.

• Like 1

You gotta be kidding... The hospitality in that city is as friendly as the weather in the rainy season.

But when they invite you, they invite you. Not like other areas where they invite you, 20 relatives come and at the end they present the invoice to you.....