Sending Small Funds From Myanmar To Thailand

I'm starting a new job next week in Yangon and I'll need to send small funds on a regular basis to my wife in Thailand. However, there is as yet no international banking system, nor is there Western Union. DHL exists but is costly and risky (probably illegal) to send cash.

Any ideas how I could send USD from Myanmar to Thailand without having to hand-carry it over the boder every week???

Simon

depending on bank that your salary is paid into - send extra card to wife & let them get from ATM - I have used various ways from UK - Thailand & found this to be cheapest way, but............................................TIT & TIM wai.gif

Naam - your suggestion is good, but that usually works the other way round, for remitting into Myanmar. I'm not sure that there are agents to remit out from Myanmar. Perhaps you can put me in touch with my local Hawala agent??

Psmith - not possible, there is no international banking system in place yet. A Myanmar bank ATM card (which would be a novelty in itself), cannot be used outside of Myanmar.

There are Thai bank representative offices in Yangon, but they are not allowed (yet) to offer banking services.

My ideal solution is to find a trusted Air Asia employee who can hand-carry my funds to BKK and drop them into my wife's account....

Might call Kasikorn as they have some sort of agreement with Asia Green Development Bank regarding money xfers. Looks like it's There to here, but who knows?

Sorry, meant here to there (Thailand to Burma)

Edited by mamypoko

Naam - your suggestion is good, but that usually works the other way round, for remitting into Myanmar. I'm not sure that there are agents to remit out from Myanmar. Perhaps you can put me in touch with my local Hawala agent??

try shops which sell indian spices. but sending "small funds every week" limits your possibilities to near zero.

Edited by Naam