Sunrise Tacos Pattaya Big C Location

SunriseTacos

Statistically speaking 9 out of 10 customers who have a bad experience will never communicate this with the business and given other options will simply buy from a competitor or alternative fast food.

How do I know, well one of my previous roles was in marketing for Dominos Pizza where we lost a huge market share to Pizza Hut, and it wasn't until we started to listen to our customers that we managed to regain the business. Dominos previously in Thailand is a classic example.

If you are not interested in listening and always want to question the customers opinion then I wish you luck as in this industry market burn can come very quickly.

Well yes and no. Pattaya being a major international beach resort gets a lot of one offs. Not meaning to be rude but if someone from the Ukraine goes to Sunrise the one time they typically aren't going to know what refritos are SUPPOSED to taste like in the first place. Nothing about Sunrise here, but restaurants in a town like this with the right location and the right look don't really have to be all that good to sell their food and make their profits.

Yes true, but value your core and repeat business that being the locals especially in low season, as a lot of locals are also business owners here who in turn have customers that they talk too and there's plenty of talk in this town when it comes to customers asking other businesses what's good and what's not.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know Dominoes have had a presense in Thailand. If they were going to make Pizza like in the US I would have thought they would do great both in Bangkok and Pattaya.

Yes years ago they were in Thailand and went bust.

Went up to Big C Extra last night around 7 and tried the fish bajos with beans and rice.

It seemed much the same as what i got in the Jomtien restaurant.

I was happy with the food and would definitely eat there again.

It is 230 baht but it was enough for two people as far as I am concerned unless you are a really big eater.

I would probably order the set with 2 fish , drink and chips if i was alone whichis 165 baht.

The whole place was very quiet last night so I am not sure if it is a true indication but there was only one other customer ordering while i was there.

I tried the 3 tacos del pastor for 120 baht yesterday again.

I told the guy no pineapple and corn tortillas. He motioned for me to have a seat. I guess he knew it would take a while--not sure why (perhaps they had to fire up the pastor grill). 10 minutes later he called me over. I went up, he asked for my card to pay. I noticed there were three flour tortillas on the grill. I told him again that I wanted corn tortillas, and he got the girl to change to corn.

When he was making them, I said I only want meat, onions and cilantro. He put the onions on first, then the meat, then the cilantro. Good enough. I had forgotten to ask for the super hot sauce, so I did so at that point. They had already given me a salsa, not sure which one it was, so I ended up with two little salsa dishes--a good thing.

Eating the tacos I was disappointed. First, they gave only one corn tortilla per taco, unlike the time before when they had given two. I hate that kind of inconsistency--never knowing what you're going to get, especially when there is no one there who knows what the food is supposed to taste like. Next, the tortillas hadn't been heated enough, making them a bit mealy. Third, the chunks of meat were sliced too large and were too dry. With the salsa on, it was ok, but just ok isn't good enough at 120 baht when I can get excellent Thai food for much cheaper just a few meters away.

I feel for the owner--finding good employees must be a real nightmare. I may try again in the hope that things have improved, but certainly won't make a special trip there like I did yesterday.

The one corn tortilla might be intentional. At the Jomtien location, you get two corn tortillas per taco if ordering off the regular menu but only one corn tortilla if ordering during the taco promotion days. This rationale at Big C might be their prices are cheaper, we're going to give you less. Maybe as an opening days promotion gimmick they were giving two before at Big C. The manager is welcome to respond. Good comment about the mealiness of the corn tortillas. I am not sure heating them would fix that though, but maybe. In my experience sometimes their corn tortillas are OK and sometimes they just fall apart on you and you must use utensils to eat the taco.

Edited by Jingthing

I tried the 3 tacos del pastor for 120 baht yesterday again.

I told the guy no pineapple and corn tortillas. He motioned for me to have a seat. I guess he knew it would take a while--not sure why (perhaps they had to fire up the pastor grill). 10 minutes later he called me over. I went up, he asked for my card to pay. I noticed there were three flour tortillas on the grill. I told him again that I wanted corn tortillas, and he got the girl to change to corn.

When he was making them, I said I only want meat, onions and cilantro. He put the onions on first, then the meat, then the cilantro. Good enough. I had forgotten to ask for the super hot sauce, so I did so at that point. They had already given me a salsa, not sure which one it was, so I ended up with two little salsa dishes--a good thing.

Eating the tacos I was disappointed. First, they gave only one corn tortilla per taco, unlike the time before when they had given two. I hate that kind of inconsistency--never knowing what you're going to get, especially when there is no one there who knows what the food is supposed to taste like. Next, the tortillas hadn't been heated enough, making them a bit mealy. Third, the chunks of meat were sliced too large and were too dry. With the salsa on, it was ok, but just ok isn't good enough at 120 baht when I can get excellent Thai food for much cheaper just a few meters away.

I feel for the owner--finding good employees must be a real nightmare. I may try again in the hope that things have improved, but certainly won't make a special trip there like I did yesterday.

I had them two days ago and I got two corn tortillas per taco so it might depend who serves you. The meat was a little bit dry but overall it was okay.

You are having a laugh about excellent food elsewhere arent you? That foodhall is the worst in Pattaya l reckon. BTW I also tried the kebab the other day and not impressed at all. Sure you get plenty but it was very average.

I can imagine what the owner of this restaurant has been through in trying to train Thai's to cook

mexican food and then keep the consistency going, i had experience in managing a family run fast food business

back in my home country and i can tell you the hardest part of the job is keeping the staff motivated and efficient

when your back is turned.

Can you imagine what the outcome would be if you reversed the tables and tried to get a group of Mexicans to run a Thai

restaurant in Mexico!

Can you imagine what the outcome would be if you reversed the tables and tried to get a group of Mexicans to run a Thai

restaurant in Mexico!

Easy to imagine and easy to imagine it being done well. Mexicans are the backbone of the majority of kitchens of all kinds of ethnic restaurants in the U.S. This isn't the time and place to diss Mexican workers!

post-37101-0-01448800-1344010314_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

restaurant in Mexico!

Easy to imagine and easy to imagine it being done well. Mexicans are the backbone of the majority of kitchens of all kinds of ethnic restaurants in the U.S. This isn't the time and place to diss Mexican workers!

im not dissing Mexicans at all, i just wouldn't have thought they would be involved in the Asian cuisine in the US,

as you suggest.

In the UK there are thousands of Chinese&Thai restaurants but they are always run by Thais & Chinese therefore

very successful.

restaurant in Mexico!

im not dissing Mexicans at all, i just wouldn't have thought they would be involved in the Asian cuisine in the US,

as you suggest.

In the UK there are thousands of Chinese&Thai restaurants but they are always run by Thais & Chinese therefore

very successful.

Well, you're wrong. In US kitchens, Mexicans are literally EVERYWHERE. The U.S. restaurant industry basically couldn't exist without Mexicans.

restaurant in Mexico!

as you suggest.

very successful.

Well, you're wrong. In US kitchens, Mexicans are literally EVERYWHERE. The U.S. restaurant industry basically couldn't exist without Mexicans.

Sorry, I am in Baltimore now, the kitchens are staffed mostly by blacks.

You're obviously not looking behind the closed doors.
Twelve years ago, in A Cook’s Tour, Bourdain (at right) identified Mexico as the country “where cooks come from.” Not France or Italy, but Mexico. He explains: “If you’re looking for a line cook who’s professional in his work habits, responsible with your food, dependable, a guy with a sense of humor, reasonably good character, and a repertoire of French and Italian standards, and who can drill out 250 meals without going mental or cutting corners too egregiously, chances are you’ll go to Carlos, your grill man” and ask him for a recommendation. And Carlos will have a cousin or a brother for you. In 2007, Bourdain told the Houston Press’ Robb Walsh, “The bald fact is that the entire restaurant industry in America would close down overnight, would never recover, if current immigration laws were enforced quickly and thoroughly across the board.”

http://www.stlmag.com/Blogs/Relish/June-2012/The-Invisible-Minority-Mexican-Kitchen-Workers-Are-Ubiquitous-But-Unheralded/

<p>

I had them two days ago and I got two corn tortillas per taco so it might depend who serves you. The meat was a little bit dry but overall it was okay.

Interesting. I'd be more likely to try them again if there were two corn tortillas. I agree with your 'ok' assessment. It's a shame, because with a few tweaks it could be really good, for example, making sure the meat was moist and well seasoned.

You are having a laugh about excellent food elsewhere arent you? That foodhall is the worst in Pattaya l reckon.

Though I haven't eaten there for quite a while, there used to be a place that made good krapao. The sum tom place was good too. I agree there's a lot of mediocre food there, but there also used to be some good stuff.

Speaking of El Diablo!

The history of The Taco, from ancient times to tacos in Tailandia!

“The idea that the taco is somehow deeply authentic isn’t supported by the facts. The taco is kind of like chop suey and pepperoni pizza. Tacos are a product of modernity. And this is true not only in the United States but in Mexico,” said Jeffrey M. Pilcher, history professor and author of “Planet Taco: A Global History of Mexican Food.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/humble-taco-is-subject-of-new-research/2012/08/03/3beaef00-db8f-11e1-8ad1-909913931f71_story.html

You are having a laugh about excellent food elsewhere arent you? That foodhall is the worst in Pattaya l reckon. BTW I also tried the kebab the other day and not impressed at all. Sure you get plenty but it was very average.

I didn't like the kebab either. And yes, there are worse food courts. Basement of Tukcom, Big C on Suk, etc. I'm basically burned out on food courts.

I didn't like the kebab either. And yes, there are worse food courts. Basement of Tukcom, Big C on Suk, etc. I'm basically burned out on food courts.

Lets face it if you want "good" food then a food court is not the place to look ,its just something to keep you going after doing the shopping.

Lets face it if you want "good" food then a food court is not the place to look ,its just something to keep you going after doing the shopping.

Agreed to a point but you can at least get something decent at some food courts but Big C Extra is in the diabolical category.

Food courts for me are not whats best option but least worse, hence the kebab fits the bill price was and cullinary delights wise of a food court, for me that is. Thankfully trips there now are minimal since Carrefour departed and makro dont have a food court.

Actually the Kao Man Gai in Tukcom's foodcourt is really good, you should try it out sometime.

You're obviously not looking behind the closed doors.
Twelve years ago, in A Cook’s Tour, Bourdain (at right) identified Mexico as the country “where cooks come from.” Not France or Italy, but Mexico. He explains: “If you’re looking for a line cook who’s professional in his work habits, responsible with your food, dependable, a guy with a sense of humor, reasonably good character, and a repertoire of French and Italian standards, and who can drill out 250 meals without going mental or cutting corners too egregiously, chances are you’ll go to Carlos, your grill man” and ask him for a recommendation. And Carlos will have a cousin or a brother for you. In 2007, Bourdain told the Houston Press’ Robb Walsh, “The bald fact is that the entire restaurant industry in America would close down overnight, would never recover, if current immigration laws were enforced quickly and thoroughly across the board.”

http://www.stlmag.co...But-Unheralded/

You obviously have never been to the US.

Actually the Kao Man Gai in Tukcom's foodcourt is really good, you should try it out sometime.

I love that dish! Will try for sure. I don't like the feel there. For a quick, cheap bite to eat, OK. Otherwise, it just feels weird.

We usually eat at the noodle shop on the first floor.

• 2 months later...

Sunrise Tacos and the others like Mike's Mexican and Sam's are ok for being in Thailand but aren't really very good and rather expensive when compared with places in Los Angeles, San Diego and then there is the San Francisco Mission district where the typical dish sells for the equivalent of 150 to 200 baht. The portions are very large and the taste is very far superior to what Thailand has to offer. It seems the attitude here is that it is "good enough for the Thai marketplace". The Thai food cost is about the same but what Thai workers make in on day is less than what a worker in California cost for one hour plus the higher taxes and benefits. The rent in Thailand is really cheap in comparison. Energy costs are lower in Thailand. It would appear that the profit level in Thailand is much higher.

In conclusion, the Mexi-Thai food is over priced, under sized and of mediocre taste. I wouldn't rush back if I ate it in California. There would be a better place nearby.

Well, perhaps, but if you live in Pattaya and not Cali, and you want some Mexican food, it's the local choices or nada.

Some updates on Sunrise.

The Jomtien taco buffet days price is now 275 up from 220.

Tuesdays and Fridays from 2 PM through 7 PM.

I guess there are consequences to some people having TEN tacos! sick.gif

There are a few new menu items such as chile relleno platter, which is described on the menu as having ground meat and cheese but in my personal experience (OPINION) doesn't really have cheese that was actually detectable to taste or sight. Perhaps the dish needs to be taken to a chemical laboratory for evidence of cheese. Too bad as that dish is classically vegetarian, very cheesy dish. The dish they do offer is three small stuffed chiles. Not bad for what it is but really missed the cheese. What would be fabulous to see is a real cheese chile relleno offering and also offered as a stuffing for a vegetarian burrito, which is a classic California style offering!

All around some price increases such as 240 for a basic burrito, up from 220 (Jomtien).

The previous issue with the soft corn tortillas falling apart appears to have really been fixed.

The carnitas meat is still sugar sweet.

Personally I noticed the margaritas seemed to taste sweeter than before, not to my taste and I reckon its a premix so doubt it can be adjusted on order.

Edited by Jingthing

I like my taco's and burgers a lot, but I am definitely not that "knowledgeable" about the names of dishes. I just like food that tastes good.

Me,the missus and our 2 kids went to Big C last week and I was delighted to see a taco shop, alas I promised the missus I would eat Thai food, so I kept that promise.

On Monday arvo (this week), we went back to Big C and I was determined to indulge in a taco...

So I went to the counter picked out what I wanted and stared at the thai staff who just sat there.

Just then I thought... "f%$king lazy shit" and I think I must have spoken it as my missus nudged me in the ribs... And just as I walked away, the lazy sod stood up.. (Sorry boy, you just lost your boss some money)

So I went and got a kebab.

To my delight, my missus cooked me a dozen taco's that night which I shared with my neighbor... My missus Youtubes farang cooking shows and practices her cooking skills on me. (The taco's she makes are wonderful)

As for Thai staff and their lack of skills.

Go to Maccas, KFC or any other major fast food place and you will see efficient staff, doing their job properly. I don't think you can blame the staff at all, I think its the person that chooses the staff that needs a spanking!

Next, from what I read, you have a Mexican chef (or Thai trained Mexican chef).... Sack him if he cant cook a simple dish, that's not dry, tastes to salty or sweet. That person surely cant be called a chef!

Is it really that hard to prepare food. Measure out this and that... Heat at this temperature, cook for x minutes and x seconds.... That's how Maccas and the other boys do it and you are guaranteed the same taste every time, (whether you like Maccas or not)... Doesn't sound like there is any consistency, even in the menu as the owner decides to change or do away with dishes, (instead of altering the pricing), that maybe someone might come back for... Sort of like that poster who wanted their scallops :)

Well, I for one, recognize the restaurant business is a very tough one, and I am not really expecting Mexican food in Thailand to taste like East L.A. but one can dream. As far as chefs of "ethnic" food it usually helps to have cooks who grew up with and know what the food is supposed to taste like and have a passion for making that happen. Not going to happen much in Thailand.

I've already made my choice not to visit the jomtien location ever again. The rare times I'm in Big C and hungry I will get the taco salad (195thb) from Sunrise but I'm always put off by the price for what's being served up. I have the choice and pay for it since it's really not that often and it does fill me up nicely.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone there eating. I see ppl walk by and look at the menu and walk off. I would assume that the prices just don't match up with the expectations of what they should be in that food court. With no turnover I have to question the freshness of all the stuff they are serving. The Al Pastor meat looks to be about 1 serving worth every time I see it and does not at all look appetizing on the rotisserie.

I just don't see that location lasting.. but what do I know.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

Two times ago I went to the Big C stand and ordered, after waiting for them to decide to notice me, three tacos al pastor on corn tortillas--which I emphasized. I paid, then I watched them. They started to grill some flour tortillas, so I told them corn. They ran around a bit and then said "no corn." So I said "Ok, I don't want." Took another five minutes, but then they handed me back my cash.

Last time I went in I didn't see a pastor grill anymore, so I just moved on. I agree with the poster who said there's only so much you can blame on the employees.

Edited by Jimmyd

I've already made my choice not to visit the jomtien location ever again. The rare times I'm in Big C and hungry I will get the taco salad (195thb) from Sunrise but I'm always put off by the price for what's being served up. I have the choice and pay for it since it's really not that often and it does fill me up nicely.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone there eating. I see ppl walk by and look at the menu and walk off. I would assume that the prices just don't match up with the expectations of what they should be in that food court. With no turnover I have to question the freshness of all the stuff they are serving. The Al Pastor meat looks to be about 1 serving worth every time I see it and does not at all look appetizing on the rotisserie.

I just don't see that location lasting.. but what do I know.

I ate at the Big C Extra location last week and got a nice case of the runs from the food.

That will be the last time I eat there.

I too think the freshness of the food is probably the issue due to no turnover from lack of customers.