CurryAfficionado

According to CNN:

http://www.cnngo.com...067535?page=0,2

@46; Som Tam

@19; Nam Tok Moo

@8; Tom Yam Gung

@1; Mussaman

Mussaman as per CNN:

Emphatically the king of curries, and perhaps the king of all foods. Spicy, coconutty, sweet and savory, its combination of flavors has more personality than a Thai election.

Even the packet sauce you buy from the supermarket can make the most delinquent of cooks look like a Michelin potential. Thankfully, someone invented rice, with which diners can mop up the last drizzles of curry sauce.

“The Land of Smiles” isn’t just a marketing catch-line. It’s a result of being born in a land where the world’s most delicious food is sold on nearly every street corner.

• Like 1

There's gonna be lots of disagreement over this one! biggrin.png

I do like a massaman...only if the potato is properly cooked though...often its half raw...

Have you ever tried mussman with boiled eggs instead of the "man farang"?

No paneng on the list.

And no gaeng keaw wan.

And no gaeng karee.

And no gaeng som.

And no gaeng phet.

How can som tam (@46 on the list) rank above paella (@ 47)??

There's gonna be lots of disagreement over this one! biggrin.png

I do like a massaman...only if the potato is properly cooked though...often its half raw...

Have you ever tried mussman with boiled eggs instead of the "man farang"?

No paneng on the list.

And no gaeng keaw wan.

And no gaeng karee.

And no gaeng som.

And no gaeng phet.

How can som tam (@46 on the list) rank above paella (@ 47)??

Massaman at no1 is crazy really...

I find this list very strange; a specific kind of Thai curry is listed as number 1, but number 3 is "Chocolate"?

edit: Though I'm glad poutine (see my avatar :P) and montreal smoked meat made it into the list, number 39 is ketchup?!

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

A Thai curry at number one, no way. I like Massaman but in comparison to some of the Indian curries, not even close.

Nam Tok, I like it, but can't see it as being a food that would be universally liked.

• Like 1

Wow, sushi is among the top 5 most delicious foods?? cheesy.gif

Anyway, who dares to publish a list and in the name of who???blink.png This is just a list of typical known dishes, nothing more, but gives a great opportunity for arguments.

Thaivisa should suvey its members about the most favourite Thai dishes, that would make sense here.

I saw this CNN list several months ago, I was really suprised as it's my favourite food also, but there is a huge variation of mussaman; the dish I fell in love with was at a friend's wedding six years ago; it was real, authentic mussaman with melt-in-the-mouth beef and I even took some home. This takes hours to make, and you only find it, if not home-cooked, at high-end restaurants. Almost every other type is awful; the stuff sold in markets, or in standard restaurants is incomparible.

Massaman is fine for the people who like it. However, to describe it as Thai is stretching things a little.

For me the idea of eating potatoes with rice is a bit naff. A bit like eating rice with chips.

ridiculous!

The nicely tried to bring something from every country and be political correct. So no one could be angry.

Putting the Hamburger as German food is nonsense. Ice cream for USA??? It was known before the European came to America......

Well,

@46; Som Tam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Som_tam

Som Tam is probably heavily Lao/Khmer-influenced

@19; Nam Tok Moo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larb#Nam_tok

heavily Lao-influenced

@8; Tom Yam Gung

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_yam_gung

Probably Thai!!

@1; Mussaman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massaman_curry

Massaman is probably Malay. Certainly Muslim, so not really Thai.

Massaman curry is the least Thai of all the Thai curry, it's actually of muslim origin.

Talking about that, if you're looking for an excellent Muslim restaurant, you should take Rama IX in the direction of the airport. You don't take the exit to the highway but you stay on Rama IX for two overpass and here it is right on your left.

Edited by JurgenG

What gastronomic philistine didn't put a fried egg, bacon, sausage and black pudding bap in first place?

black pudding might have won if they could have found someone who is willing to try it.

• Like 1

What gastronomic philistine didn't put a fried egg, bacon, sausage and black pudding bap in first place?

black pudding might have won if they could have found someone who is willing to try it.

This is more just a personal anecdote than a rebuttal but I haven't met anyone who was "turned off" of black pudding because they found out what it was. Hell, I'd say it's the least offensive of the "less common" meats.

No poll would be complete if smokie's home made chilli con carne wasn't number one...coffee1.gif

I take that as an invitation to sample the smokie's homemade chili. What are you doing tomorrow?

One day I will open my chilli stall....you wait and see....rolleyes.gif

This is more just a personal anecdote than a rebuttal but I haven't met anyone who was "turned off" of black pudding because they found out what it was. Hell, I'd say it's the least offensive of the "less common" meats.

Good black pudding is a treat. But then there is much offal I wouldn't want to eat....personal choices I guess...

• Like 1