TrueVisions Launched 17 HD Channels, Blocked Pirate Users Overnight

webfact

Anyone else having any lip sync issues with the HD channels? Getting quite a delay between the audio and the visual here. Didn't have this problem before the upgrade as far as I remember...

Try rebooting the receiver.

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else having any lip sync issues with the HD channels? Getting quite a delay between the audio and the visual here. Didn't have this problem before the upgrade as far as I remember...

Try rebooting the receiver.

Try booting the receiver.

Monopoly...and with even wore with ads and everything. They are charging way too much than they are supposed to.

As far as I am aware the prices have not changed since before they had ads. The other annoying thing is all the logos that take up quite a bit of screen space.

• Like 1

I returned to Koh Chang on Monday after a 2 month work/vacation period to find only a bunch of free channels and other stupefying crap (Knowledge/FOX???--give me a break!!!) available on my current Gold subscription. True visions--when I was finally connected to a "customer service representative" after 40 minutes on hold--told me that since I owned the dish and box they had no obligation to do anything. The girl said they would sell me the new Samsung HD box for 6500 baht and would install it 'sometime' in September. She did mention my subscription ended on 10th of August and i must pay them immediately (like yesterday) if i wanted to continue receiving their sh*it. She also said they had no HD boxes available for the near-future and i would have to pay 3500 baht for a "technician" to install it if/whenever they could get one for me...

Well...screw that sh*t!!! So I drove down to my local satellite guy and he had 6 new HD boxes and he came by one hour later and spent 5 minutes installing the receiver. When he called truevisions to link my old smartcard to the new one he must have said some 'magic words' because I now have the Platinum package. <deleted>??? Total cost 3500 baht with a two year warranty. on the box.

So...if you own your dish and box you are persona-non-Grata with truevisions and they don't want to hear any bitching/moaning from you. And it seems if you rent your set you just may be a bit above whale-shit as far as they are concerned...

A good post. My local satellite guy just has a blank stare on his face when confronted with anything out of the ordinary. We then had to turn to True in order to solve the problem and I am happy to report we are two bits above whale shit since we now have two (count 'em!) rental receivers instead of the two privately owned receivers we purchased from True in Nong Bua Lamphu five years ago.

Disclaimer, I am not whining/whinging as it does no good. Just a simple statement of facts, Maam. You may stop reading here if you consider this a whine!

I live about half way between Nong Bua Lamphu (40 kilometers to the True office - Remember this) and 55 kilometers to the Loei True office. We are in the Nong Bua Lamphu Province and this will have some bearing on my story.

For a bit of history, the office in Nong Bua Lamphu (NBL) has a female manageress that is less than pleasant. We had several run-ins with her some years ago and I refused to enter their shop again. We began dealing with Loei, where they are considerably more polite and, unlike the manageress in NBL, are sharper than the soft end of a pencil.

When the magic True turnaround took place, I lost all service to my gold package on only one of the receivers. The other one had the Knowledge package only so there was no problem with it. The gold package one became the paperweight described elsewhere.

We immediately contacted True in Loei with my wife traveling to their office to sign up for the new service. I stayed in the bedroom watching a blank TV screen. They suggested we go with the rental program and said our paperweight was now exactly that. We decided to go with their suggestion so my wife signed all the paperwork and left, thinking it had all been worked out. This was Monday.

On Tuesday, my wife received a phone call from Loei saying they could not serve as our provider since we lived in the NBL province and it was out of their primary service territory. True in Bangkok said this was against their unwritten policies and we could only be a patron of NBL. Finding this completely unsatisfactory we did the Thai thing and accepted the fact we could not deal with the office we wanted to and agreed to their dictate that NBL was in the picture yet again.

This took up most of the day Tuesday so now it is Wednesday and the British Open starts Thursday afternoon at 1700 so I am getting a little feverish. Knowing how NBL handles their end of contracts I was not feeling all warm and fuzzy about the whole deal but I didn't lose faith completely. There was still a glimmer of hope. The office in NBL claimed they were too busy Wednesday and could not make a service call until Thursday morning but they would do it then...for sure. We agreed to this plan, as if we had any choice.

Now it is Thursday morning and I was ready with money in my hot, sweaty hand to fork over for the 2,000 baht deposit when my wife was informed there would be a 500 baht fee for installation since they would only go 50 kilometers free. When my wife told them we were one kilometer past the 39 kilometer mark there should be no service fee, the lady manageress said..."hold the phone! That 50 kilometers is round trip, not one way." Having absolutely not one ounce of strength or bargaining power left we had no choice but for me to go back to the ATM and get another 500 baht.

So now it is a waiting game. My wife gets a call from the service man that they have had problems and will be delayed. My hot and sweaty hands are getting hotter and sweatier thinking about the 1700 kickoff time but, again, there was nothing on God's green earth we could do about it so I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Finally at 1655 the truck showed up, rang the gate bell and I beat off the four very large golden retrievers to let the service men get out of their truck, which they finally did. They connected my new rental receiver and I was in business a short time later.

During the installation they managed to sell us one more rental receiver for another 2,000 baht deposit and for only around 440 baht monthly an additional gold package to replace the Knowledge package in the living room. It will be installed today but I don't know if I have to pay another 500 baht for installation yet. I will probably have to.

To recap:

Deposits - 4,000 baht

Service call - 500 baht (with another pending?)

Monthly charge - 2,005 baht (up from 1,613 including Knowledge but the first month is free)

The bad thing is we are still with NBL. The good thing is we will still deal with Loei, whether Bangkok likes it or not.

That's my story and I'm sticking by it.

If having problems with your TrueVisions-issued/rental HD box, below may be helpful in fixing them (your results may vary).

First, try turning off/unplugging the HD box for a few minutes and then powering it back up, to include removing and reinserting the subscription card after it has completely powered up again. Be sure you unplug the box's power; just going to Standby is not a complete power-down.

Second, try a Signal Reset of the HD box (True has been running how to do this on Channel 12 for weeks now for their various boxes, but only run in the Thai language…below are some instructions in English)

1. Press Menu on the remote

2. Select Setup

3. Select System Setup

4. Select Signal Setup

5. Enter code 2321 and press Submit

6. Press remote OK when next screen appears. After a few seconds the Signal Strength and Signal Quality bars will turn pink in level indications with a high pitch squeal which means the Signal Reset is done.

7. Press OK/Next, which will take you back to the System Setup menu and you will see the TV channel playing in the upper right hand window. You are done…just press Exit on the remote to get out of the menu screens and back to the full/normal TV screen. You are done.

Third, try a software/firmware download for the HD box

1. Turn off/unplug the box for a few seconds (do not just go to Standby, completely power down the box for a few seconds)

2. Plug the box back-in (do not press the power button on the remote), in a few seconds you will see “Booting” on the box's display panel, as soon as you see "Booting" quickly press Exit on the remote and then enter the code 2485.

3. If you pressed Exit and entered the code quick enough the box will start downloading and updated software/firmware, which may be the current version you have installed or may be a newer version. DO NOT interrupt this download process which will take 5-10 minutes…let the software completely download & install 100% per the download progress bar. As mentioned, this can take around 5-10 minutes. When the download process reaches 100% let the box continue to reboot itself until it gets back to displaying a normal TV channel over the next 15-30 seconds. Once again, DON’T INTERRUPT any of this process. When you start seeing the normal screen after 5-10 minutes and if you don’t have picture/sound, remove and insert the subscription card....still no picture unplug the box and then repower...but normallly you shouldn't have to remove/reinsert the card or do the power reset. You are done. Note: I’ve done this on all three of my HD boxes at the recommendation/instructions of TrueVisions when I had problems with 2 of the 3 boxes when initially installed a couple month ago….and I even redid it on all three boxes after the TrueVisions switchover on 16 July just for gee-whizs.

In closing, hopefully, I got the steps right for the Second and Third instructions above. I'm on cable TrueVisions and hopefully it works the same way for folks on satellite TrueVisions. I just did the Second and Third instructions on one of my boxes while writing this post…the box still works fine. If trying all three things above and you still have problems it's time to call TrueVisions as you probably have a bad box/card or TrueVisions has something setup wrong in your account profile.

Talking on the phone to a Thai friend down in Bangkok last night, they have one of my very old Dreambox and bought a new HD Dreambox a few months ago, they said got the full service and channels back again yesterday afternoon

No idea if it is from True direct or another provider.. They live in China Town above there shop so maybe the latter.

If having problems with your TrueVisions-issued/rental HD box, below may be helpful in fixing them (your results may vary).

First, try turning off/unplugging the HD box for a few minutes and then powering it back up, to include removing and reinserting the subscription card after it has completely powered up again. Be sure you unplug the box's power; just going to Standby is not a complete power-down.

Second, try a Signal Reset of the HD box (True has been running how to do this on Channel 12 for weeks now for their various boxes, but only run in the Thai language…below are some instructions in English)

2. Select Setup

3. Select System Setup

4. Select Signal Setup

6. Press remote OK when next screen appears. After a few seconds the Signal Strength and Signal Quality bars will turn pink in level indications with a high pitch squeal which means the Signal Reset is done.

7. Press OK/Next, which will take you back to the System Setup menu and you will see the TV channel playing in the upper right hand window. You are done…just press Exit on the remote to get out of the menu screens and back to the full/normal TV screen. You are done.

1. Turn off/unplug the box for a few seconds (do not just go to Standby, completely power down the box for a few seconds)

2. Plug the box back-in (do not press the power button on the remote), in a few seconds you will see “Booting” on the box's display panel, as soon as you see "Booting" quickly press Exit on the remote and then enter the code 2485.

3. If you pressed Exit and entered the code quick enough the box will start downloading and updated software/firmware, which may be the current version you have installed or may be a newer version. DO NOT interrupt this download process which will take 5-10 minutes…let the software completely download & install 100% per the download progress bar. As mentioned, this can take around 5-10 minutes. When the download process reaches 100% let the box continue to reboot itself until it gets back to displaying a normal TV channel over the next 15-30 seconds. Once again, DON’T INTERRUPT any of this process. When you start seeing the normal screen after 5-10 minutes and if you don’t have picture/sound, remove and insert the subscription card....still no picture unplug the box and then repower...but normallly you shouldn't have to remove/reinsert the card or do the power reset. You are done. Note: I’ve done this on all three of my HD boxes at the recommendation/instructions of TrueVisions when I had problems with 2 of the 3 boxes when initially installed a couple month ago….and I even redid it on all three boxes after the TrueVisions switchover on 16 July just for gee-whizs.

In closing, hopefully, I got the steps right for the Second and Third instructions above. I'm on cable TrueVisions and hopefully it works the same way for folks on satellite TrueVisions. I just did the Second and Third instructions on one of my boxes while writing this post…the box still works fine. If trying all three things above and you still have problems it's time to call TrueVisions as you probably have a bad box/card or TrueVisions has something setup wrong in your account profile.

Great set of instructions here which may help others but none have solved my lip sync issues :(

2. Select Setup

3. Select System Setup

4. Select Signal Setup

Great set of instructions here which may help others but none have solved my lip sync issues sad.png

Paul, how is your receiver connected? Does it connect HDMi direct to your screen or are you using an amplifier/ speakers?

They way they handled this whole change was very unprofessional. As I mentioned in a previous thread on this they typically make the changes in phases to minimize the impact on paying customers.

I would say that True were as professional as they had to be. I notice that many of the complaints here are coming from people who bought their boxes.....True owes them nothing. Complaints from pirates? Not even an issue. What's left: boxes that weren't upgraded? I think the number of box rentals still non Samsung is tiny. True have been pushing the new box since first quarter 2011 (over a year) and have become really diligent in the past 3 months. Kinda unreasonable to say True is unprofessional.

This is a ridiculous comment.. True clients bought equipment needed to use the True service from True and True owes them nothing? If you run your business like this remind me to never be your customer.

My point on implementing in phases is that they could have made all the changes to mpeg4 when they introduced the new channels and then after they won't out those bugs and issues then changed the encryption over on channels slowly to make sure that didn't cause issues with their customers. Instead they chose to just do it all at once in quick fashion. Doing it in phases is how every other professional outlet handles these things. Forget the "pirate" aspect of things. No matter how TRUE plays it the pirates will have a fix for their clients. It's been less than 2 weeks and already the pirates have the CS back up and running on all the new HD channels. The folks that are getting asses out are the actual paying TRUE customers and this is what true should have tried to minimize.

• Like 2

TRUE made it clear that they are more concerned with the apparent loss of income to pirates than the actual income from paying customers. To me, this is bad business not to take care of your paying customers first. They spent all that money to change the encryption only to have the pirates lose TV for a few days. Was it worth it? I know the pirates are making a killing on selling the new service. How much extra revenue is TRUE making. I would guess that more actual customers of TRUE will get fed up and change to being pirates than pirates will join the TRUE team. Of course, I'm just guessing and have no basis of facts for my statement (it's just my opinion).

• Like 1

They way they handled this whole change was very unprofessional. As I mentioned in a previous thread on this they typically make the changes in phases to minimize the impact on paying customers.

I would say that True were as professional as they had to be. I notice that many of the complaints here are coming from people who bought their boxes.....True owes them nothing. Complaints from pirates? Not even an issue. What's left: boxes that weren't upgraded? I think the number of box rentals still non Samsung is tiny. True have been pushing the new box since first quarter 2011 (over a year) and have become really diligent in the past 3 months. Kinda unreasonable to say True is unprofessional.

This is a ridiculous comment.. True clients bought equipment needed to use the True service from True and True owes them nothing? If you run your business like this remind me to never be your customer.

My point on implementing in phases is that they could have made all the changes to mpeg4 when they introduced the new channels and then after they won't out those bugs and issues then changed the encryption over on channels slowly to make sure that didn't cause issues with their customers. Instead they chose to just do it all at once in quick fashion. Doing it in phases is how every other professional outlet handles these things. Forget the "pirate" aspect of things. No matter how TRUE plays it the pirates will have a fix for their clients. It's been less than 2 weeks and already the pirates have the CS back up and running on all the new HD channels. The folks that are getting asses out are the actual paying TRUE customers and this is what true should have tried to minimize.

Totally agree that this changeover should have been phased in, first the additional HD channels/ switch to mpeg4, ensure that upgrade was working fully with all bugs ironed out and then announce and carry out the NDS encryption changes later... but that would have been logical and TIT!

• Like 1

2. Select Setup

3. Select System Setup

4. Select Signal Setup

Great set of instructions here which may help others but none have solved my lip sync issues sad.png

Paul, how is your receiver connected? Does it connect HDMi direct to your screen or are you using an amplifier/ speakers?

I was thinking the same thing if the sound is being routed through a home theater (i.e, DVD and amp/external speakers) setup. See this link for more info. Link. If using HDMI try hooking the HDMI cable directly between the HD box and the TV.

2. Select Setup

3. Select System Setup

4. Select Signal Setup

The True HD receiver is connected directly to the tv via a high quality QED Performance HDMI cable. I had no problems with the basic HD channels before the upgrade and I also have a blu ray player with the same brand cable that works perfectly when playing bluray discs. Have contacted True who went through some of the options above that Pib already mentioned and are now sending someone to investigate tomorrow. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Tell me, what exactly is it that True "owes" you? You bought the box, be it Humax, Topfield or whatever. Its your property now, what duty does True have to change it for you? Your monthly fee entitles you to the capability of having your smartcard decode the signal they send - this is the same for all subscribers. Are you telling me that True should change your box for a nominal fee? Yeah, that's called buying a new box. Maybe they could have done a discount on trade-ins but that the fact they didn't shows they have business savvy (trade-ins are only done when the vendor can resell the used item, as in the car business, in this case your paperweight is no good to anybody).

Have you played with the HD box's Audio settings under Setup > User Setup > Audio? My Audio settings are PCM, PCM, and 0ms.

I have played around with the delay settings there but they only seem to make it worse the further up the scale I go and it's not possible to go the opposite way. Seems odd as usually these issues seem to come from the picture lagging the sound but in my situation it seems the reverse.

The True HD receiver is connected directly to the tv via a high quality QED Performance HDMI cable. I had no problems with the basic HD channels before the upgrade and I also have a blu ray player with the same brand cable that works perfectly when playing bluray discs. Have contacted True who went through some of the options above that Pib already mentioned and are now sending someone to investigate tomorrow. Hopefully they can figure it out.

Strange. If you have the cable, you could try connecting the audio separately to the TV via a standard analogue audio cable... then if your TV allows it pair that to the HDMi input for the True receiver... or try it component video (red, blue & green) with standard audio (white & red), at least that would narrow the issue down to the HDMI output if the synch problem stops.. you could also try swapping over the HDMi cables to prove that it's not a defective cable... and the inputs on the TV to take that out of the equation... (ie use the same cable and input on the TV that you know works with the Bluray player)

Edited by Ferangled

Tell me, what exactly is it that True "owes" you? You bought the box, be it Humax, Topfield or whatever. Its your property now, what duty does True have to change it for you? Your monthly fee entitles you to the capability of having your smartcard decode the signal they send - this is the same for all subscribers. Are you telling me that True should change your box for a nominal fee? Yeah, that's called buying a new box. Maybe they could have done a discount on trade-ins but that the fact they didn't shows they have business savvy (trade-ins are only done when the vendor can resell the used item, as in the car business, in this case your paperweight is no good to anybody).

Well, for me I never bought a TRUE box... I bought a pirate box so I own no paperweight smile.png

I do however sympathize with those that did buy TRUE equipment only to find out it's now worthless and TRUE won't even give you respect as a paying customer until you fork out more money to them.

Just to be clear... it's this attitude that TRUE has that is the reason many go to pirates for their TV and don't pay TRUE. The money that TRUE charges is only part of the reason. The lack of follow through support from TRUE is much greater than from the pirates.

Answer me this.. why does TRUE sell it's customers boxes that are not upgrade able. The pirate boxes are upgrade able. Why not the TRUE boxes. My guess is that the TRUE boxes are upgrade able but they don't want to develop new firmware for those boxes and would much rather just sell you a new box.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

Have you played with the HD box's Audio settings under Setup > User Setup > Audio? My Audio settings are PCM, PCM, and 0ms.

I have played around with the delay settings there but they only seem to make it worse the further up the scale I go and it's not possible to go the opposite way. Seems odd as usually these issues seem to come from the picture lagging the sound but in my situation it seems the reverse.

And I guess since all TVs are different in what their their Audio settings allow, you played with your TV's Menu Audio Settings?

Time for an update to my post #307, above.

True from Nong Bua Lamphu showed up today with the second receiver. They plugged it in, tested it to show it was working. I checked some Gold channels and they were NOT working but the technician said they would be turned on when he got back to their office in NBL.

It is now 2020 in the evening and there is no reception of any kind on the newly obtained receiver.

My wife's calls to NBL have elicited no response from the evil manageress so I now have three paperweights.

I am working on getting enough of them for an anchor.

Edited by chuckd

Obviously it must be different in the provinces compared to Bangkok in how True fully activate's a box/card. When True brought the boxes to my house, they plugged them in, a few channels worked which they said is normal until they call some True phone number to fully activate the box/card, they call a number and read off some serial numbers to some True person on the other end (probably some True office that updates account profiles/fully activates boxes/cards), and a few seconds later all Platinum channels are being received.

Maybe the NBL tech guy has some computer/direct access to update your profile but got back to the office too late/after True possibly shuts down additional activatations for the day (i.e., the office folks in Bangkok who update accounts/profiles went home for the day). Hard telling...I know it's got to be very, very frustrating...True has that talent.

I have finally got everything working since the changeover, but most of the new HD channels keep "dropping out" to a grey screen every few seconds.

All the non HD channels are fine.

Anyone out there can explain ? Much appreciated if so.

I was just looking at the True website which showed the new HD receiver as being capable of taking 11 HD channels yet on another page they say there are now 17 HD channels. I currently do not subscribe to True after having the platinum package for a long time I changed to the Silver package (which does not seem to exist anymore) when they dropped BBC E a couple of years ago.

Currently they are offering all 17 HD channels on the platinum subscription, the full channel list is available here... http://www.truevisio...o/new/pgs_l.jpg

As part of this I get access to BBC Knowledge, BBC Lifestyle, BBC Entertainment and, my personal favourite, CBeebies! I think these were originally "extra" bolt on channels, but we're paying no extra and get them as part of our platinum subscription now. thumbsup.gif

This jpeg shows no Channel 113 ASN.

So what is it? Is there or is there not ASN?

Hi, anyone experiencing the same issues and found a fix for the following.

I get all channels except ts 1, 3, 4, 5 etc and no espn or star sports.

I have the latest hd plus box from true that they brought a few weeks ago, on gold package. I tried rebooting the receiver, unplugged it, removed card etc but no cigar.

thanks