What'S Your A/C Setting ?

JeffreyMcCollum

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day time: We use mainly fans, but may turn the a/c on if we've just come in or are eating.

Night time in bedrooms: We have the a/c on all night: around 26 degrees in warmer months and around 27 degrees in cooler months. I like the white noise and constant temperature when sleeping. If the a/c is not working for any reason, fans are bearable but it can get warm.

We have them serviced and cleaned twice a year, which can mean setting the a/c a degree or so higher or lower; depending on if they've just been serviced or if they'll be needing a service soon.

smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

Continuous 24 when sleeping

During the day when home alternate 24 for a couple hours then a couple hours of swing fan

Monthly bill runs 1050 THB total

Edited by flying

This is an interesting thread by the OP - I've often wondered the same thing ie whether where you come from makes a difference. I always have the living room AC on 27 and find 26 too cold after a while and 28 too hot - for me 27 is some sort of sweet-spot whatever the season. My bedroom AC needs to be on 25 for me to feel comfortable because two walls are floor-to-ceiling aluminum-framed windows, just single pane, which have high thermal conductance and take more energy to cool.

• Like 1

I have it but don't use it. I prefer open windows with a fan. Try it sometime, learn to like it. Your in Thailand. While your at it, have you tried doing your own laundry or cleaning your room? That is a good still to have also. Builds character.

I learned how to like Brussels sprouts as a child ,I still hate them ,

Cleaning your room may build your character but getting better job and hiring a maid built mine

Enjoy your fan !

• Like 1

I have it but don't use it. I prefer open windows with a fan. Try it sometime, learn to like it. Your in Thailand. While your at it, have you tried doing your own laundry or cleaning your room? That is a good still to have also. Builds character.

Cleaning your room may build your character but getting better job and hiring a maid built mine

Enjoy your fan !

You make everything about money. Nouveau are we? Or just a prick?

Don't you work on an oil rig? Might pay well, but it isn't a good job.

Enjoy your fan !

You make everything about money. Nouveau are we? Or just a prick?

Don't you work on an oil rig? Might pay well, but it isn't a good job.

Enjoy your fan !

Maybe you should adjust your A/c and cool down a bit ,

I'd love to see where I make anything about money ...maybe it was the thread that discussed..... let me guess... money !

I'm quite tired of folk telling others that if you want to live you shud endure some hardships like cleaning your room ,and sitting in the heat ,eating on the street ,that has been done to death on here .

No need for us to calling each others name you prick !

• Like 2

according to my wife its set at "refrigerator" I have no idea what she means???

That's 6 degrees up from '7-11'. ;)

I have it at 26 or 27. Once I start using aircon though I can't turn it off and move on to a fan.. When going to bed with fan only and the windows open then it's no problem, and I actually sleep better. (On nights that aren't too hot & muggy)

Only when I sleep, and 18c. I like it cold when I sleep. Nice and warm under the covers, but cold on the outside. smile.png

Precisely. Tip toe across the freezing bedroom to the loo for a middle of the night piss and then back and dive under the covers. Heaven!

23 or 24 just depends.

Humm ... villagefarang, I surprised by that.

Just that you have lived he for so long that you would be more insensitive to the heat.

I find that when I first return to Thailand the heat knocks me around for a day or two ... maybe a week if it's April ... but my body slowly adjusts after that ... same with the chilli ... but in reverse!

23 or 24 just depends.

Humm ... villagefarang, I am surprised by that.

Just thought that you have lived he for so long that you would be more insensitive to the heat.

I find that when I first return to Thailand the heat knocks me around for a day or two ... maybe a week if it's April ... but my body slowly adjusts after that ... same with the chilli ... but in reverse!

I thought you might be surprised with your assumption that heat becomes a nonissue over time. After living here the first several years without A/C, I remember how pleased I was to be able to afford my first noisy old window type unit in my studio apartment.smile.png

Over the years I found that besides being cool and comfortable, the A/C helps to dehumidify the air which helps the clothes hanging in the closet, towels and bed linens. I feel it is good for electronics like the computer and the flatscreen TV as well. The A/C helps to filter out pollutants, both noise and smoke. With the screens and windows closed there are no bugs.

Then there is the most important reason of all, Cookie.thumbsup.gifbiggrin.png Our 45 kilo golden retriever calms right down when you put her in an air conditioned room.sleepy.gif

I can afford the 4000 baht electrical bill so why not. We open up the house in the morning and enjoy a lovely breeze blowing through from north to south, or the other way around, depending on the season. Later in the day when things heat up I close the big sliding glass doors to the TV/computer/dog room and turn on the A/C.

The main living area is facing north and with the very high ceiling stays fairly comfortable with windows open and a fan or two. I suppose I could try to live like I once did many years ago but I don’t see the reason. I see it as a matter of choice and preference. I just prefer A/C, at least part of the time.smile.png

• Like 1

I see it as a matter of choice and preference. I just prefer A/C, at least part of the time.smile.png

I agree for all the reasons you stated & especially the dehumidifying.

Also....I often wonder about core temperatures & how it affects what we tolerate individually.

My normal temperature is not what most call "normal"... 98.6 F/ 37 C

My normal temp is 97F / 36.11 or even a little less

Dont know if that makes a difference but wonder if it does.

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

I see it as a matter of choice and preference. I just prefer A/C, at least part of the time.smile.png

I agree for all the reasons you stated & especially the dehumidifying.

Also....I often wonder about core temperatures & how it affects what we tolerate individually.

My normal temperature is not what most call "normal"... 98.6 F/ 37 C

My normal temp is 97F / 36.11 or even a little less

Dont know if that makes a difference but wonder if it does.

Another advantage which i used to justify to the boss for having the AC in the bedroom set to frostbite is the colder it is; the less likely you will have any stray mosquito's flying around and biting while you sleep.

18c works fine for me all the time. Just two air cons in the house but they keep most of the place cool. Our electric bill was less than ฿1800 with the air cons running much of the day and night

it is a well known fact that keeping a doghouse at 18ºC doesn't cost an arm and a leg whistling.gif