They Just Doubled The Amount I Need In The Bank

I have been here 3 years on a Retirement visa, I have always kept a minimum of a million baht in the bank when I'm only required to have 800,000. Earlier this year I decided to give my Thai lady joint ownership of the account as I trust her 100% and wanted her to have access in case anything happened to me. Today I go to Immigration to do my Retirement renewal and they tell me I now need 1.6 million in the bank because she is now on the account. I said that the 800,000 is for me to qualify for the Retirement visa, why does she have to have 800,000 as well. No real explanation given, other than the fact her name as well as mine is on the bank book. Sometimes immigration gives me the impression that they want to make it as difficult as they can for a falang to remain in this country. Of course I will now get a new bank book in my name only.

The bank account has to be in your name only, that is standerd policy.

If you have an income, you can use the combined income method to get an extension of stay. When using the combined method, no need of seasoning the money.

A good example of how people can learn from this forum. Regular readers of this forum would know that you should keep your retirement extension qualifying account in your one name only. I'm surprised though they they would allow a joint account at all, even with double the money!

Edited by Jingthing

They haven't doubled the amount you need, it's still 800,000 but as only half the money in the joint account belongs to you so you don't have enough.

Ye, I can see the logic in that. They let in slide because I actually had 1.56 mill in the account, 40,000 less than required. Tomorrow I'll open another account in my name only and transfer 800,000 into it from the joint account for Retirement visa purposes only. What gets up my nose is all the falang living here who don't have a satang in the bank who just pay the 20,000 every year to "borrow" the necessary amount for a day. The system stinks whichever way you cut it.

Edited by giddyup

Yes has to be sole name only same as marriage visa.It happened to me once but i went to my lawyer and a call and a few thousand baht sorted it, a new account in my name was opened and accepted even though money only been in the acccount a few days in my sole name.

Just have her name taken of the account and open a seperate joint account in both names but I think you are a very brave man giving your lady friend joint control but that is only my opinion because of what has happened to friends of mine.

• Like 1

Must ask why you put loads of dosh in her name ? Nothing to do with trust as we are all aliens here and you must think of yourself. If you pop off and you have a Will she gets stuff anyway. sad.png

I have been with her 3 years and trust her with my life. She's never asked for money and wouldn't touch the account without asking me first. I've been around the block a few times and a pretty good judge of character. She is an absolute straight shooter. Yeah, they do exist, even in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just have her name taken of the account and open a seperate joint account in both names but I think you are a very brave man giving your lady friend joint control but that is only my opinion because of what has happened to friends of mine.

This is probably the better option because there could be an issue with a new account that the money has to be there a couple of months.

Joint accounts are generally not accepted for the purposes of extensions, you're probably lucky they are letting you use it at all sad.png

We have just got our retirement extension based on 800,000 in the account last week for the sixth year running no problem, also using our bank account that is in joint names, could it be that it’s ok because we are both Farang?

If this is not the case new bank account due in my name only

Edited by sometime

Unfortunately, a lot of naive guys come to Thailand, who jump in boots and all with the first lady who smiles at them. If she was in it for the money she could have ripped me off long before this.

This is probably the better option because there could be an issue with a new account that the money has to be there a couple of months.

I just got my renewal visa today, so I have 9 months before I have to transfer 800,000 to my name only.

Joint accounts are generally not accepted for the purposes of extensions, you're probably lucky they are letting you use it at all sad.png

We have just got our retirement extension based on 800,000 in the account last week for the sixth year running no problem, also using our bank account that is in joint names, could it be that it’s ok because we are both Farang?

If this is not the case new bank account due in my name only

How much do you need in the bank for the two of you? Also, it's a different amount if you are married than single.

Unfortunately, a lot of naive guys come to Thailand, who jump in boots and all with the first lady who smiles at them. If she was in it for the money she could have ripped me off long before this.

Weeeeeeeeeeell, met guys that think like you and have come very unstuck. BUT, bit off topic so wish you luck for your situation. thumbsup.gif

Horror stories of money disappearing from joint accounts are every where as there are accounts of people like my self who are given money by the wife's family and wife.

The horror stories we all hear by the thousand and are told over millions of times over glasses of beer in bars! I think if all the stories are told there would be a majority of good stories.

Just because you are in a foreign country does not mean the RULES CHANGE. The rules remain the same.

If you meet a bar girl in the UK and as a result, a very short time later decide to cohabit with her, would you give her a house and land and finance her family and buy a buffalo and do all the other things I hear to so many men in Thailand do?

NO! So don't!

• Like 1

My wife and I used to have a joint account for my marriage/retirement extension. When immigration changed the rules had her name taken off the account but had her name added for full signing privileges ie she can deposit and withdraw with just her id even though its an account in my name only. This is at Bangkok Bank.

To those who tell me its stupid to let my wife have access to my accounts...Its nothing to do with you.

Edit to add ..Why to people think every wife is an ex or current bar girl and buffaloes are involved ??. Of course there are horror stories and these are more likely to get publicized. On the other hand some people do have successful long term relationships.

Note... Buying a girl breakfast after the first night does not count as a long term relationship. rolleyes.gif

Edited by ThaidDown
  • Like 2

My wife and I used to have a joint account for my marriage/retirement extension. When immigration changed the rules had her name taken off the account but had her name added for full signing privileges ie she can deposit and withdraw with just her id even though its an account in my name only. This is at Bangkok Bank.

To those who tell me its stupid to let my wife have access to my accounts...Its nothing to do with you.

Agree with you 100%. Sure there are plenty of stories of guys getting ripped off and no one seems to believe (or wants to) that you can have a loving, trusting partnership with a Thai woman the same as a falang woman. I know a few guys that have been burned badly in their own country as well.

Edit to add ..Why to people think every wife is an ex or current bar girl and buffaloes are involved ??. Of course there are horror stories and these are more likely to get publicized. On the other hand some people do have successful long term relationships.

Note... Buying a girl breakfast after the first night does not count as a long term relationship. rolleyes.gif

Just to point out, nothing to do with Thailand or bar girls.

When a relationship goes wrong, joint accounts are often emptied by people all over the world.

• Like 1

Weeeeeeeeeeell, met guys that think like you and have come very unstuck. BUT, bit off topic so wish you luck for your situation. thumbsup.gif

And I've heard the same Doubting Thomas replies ad infinitum. I can honestly say I have NEVER been ripped off by any woman in my life and there's been quite a few long term relationships. Does that just make me lucky or a good judge of character?

When a relationship goes wrong, joint accounts are often emptied by people all over the world.

That's true, but there are also couples who sit down and divvy up the property or money in a civilised manner when things go wrong. Not every woman is conniving and money hungry, anymore than every man is a pisspot and lecher.

And I've heard the same Doubting Thomas replies ad infinitum. I can honestly say I have NEVER been ripped off by any woman in my life and there's been quite a few long term relationships. Does that just make me lucky or a good judge of character?

Nobody knows whats around the corner. I learned in farangland to my surprise. So don't think everything is black and white, cos it isn't. But, as l said, l wish you well/luck. thumbsup.gif

That's true, but there are also couples who sit down and divvy up the property or money in a civilised manner when things go wrong. Not every woman is conniving and money hungry, anymore than every man is a pisspot and lecher.

I totally agree, but enough spouse/partners are, that it's just not sensible to take the risk. (it's not just women who empty accounts)

Nobody knows whats around the corner. I learned in farangland to my surprise. So don't think everything is black and white, cos it isn't. But, as l said, l wish you well/luck. thumbsup.gif

Snap!

(on both points)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Agree with you, except I would think 'sometimes' is more accurate than 'often' but that's only my opinion. I think the point is that a couple should decide for themselves. It all depends what the relationship is. Not in any way suggesting joint accounts after a 2 week holiday pay for play.

Of course I may live to regret all our joints accounts and you can say 'told you so' , but hasn't yet,

25 years and counting.

I totally agree, but enough spouse/partners are, that it's just not sensible to take the risk. (it's not just women who empty accounts)

Snap!

(on both points)

I never gamble more than I can afford to lose.

Snap!

(on both points)

I never gamble more than I can afford to lose.

Then you have nooooooooooooooooooo problem. Wish l was in the same situation. smile.png