Why'S My Apostrophe "S" Capitalized? I'Ve, We'Ve, They'Ve, I'D Etc.

NomadJoe

Here is how I wrote the heading to this post. "Why's my apostrophe "s" capitalized? I've, We've, They've, I'd etc" It's a minor issue, but it makes all the headings with an apostrophe look like they were written by a preschooler.

It's automated by the software to make the topic in headline style and has been that way for, let's say, always. The algorithm is determined by the board software which is determined by the company who develops the software. If it is significant than you can report it and ask a mod to edit it.

I sometimes do edit my own topic title when the capitalization can cause confusion when using acronyms such as Us for US, etc. If I catch a member's topic with a similar issue where it can affect the meaning I will also change them.

I sometimes do edit my own topic title when the capitalization can cause confusion when using acronyms such as Us for US, etc. If I catch a member's topic with a similar issue where it can affect the meaning I will also change them.

How about allowing members to edit their own titles within the same time constraints as editing the main body text?

• Like 1

How about allowing members to edit their own titles within the same time constraints as editing the main body text?

Pretty easy answer to that one and that is changing the title, other than just trying to correct capitalization and punctuation can affect search engines and break links including TV newsletters. Even the mods/admins are not supposed to do this except in extreme cases.

Appears this issue will not be corrected anytime soon due to being an issue with php itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to open a thread about this but saw this one already in progress. Surely there is an option to disable this in the admin control panel? This 'feature' just did a hatchet job on one of my thread titles, introducing no less than four errors on my behalf.

I have been to other forums that use IP Board forum software and have not seen this auto-cap feature being used, so it seems reasonable to assume that it is something that has been switched on in this particular site.

There is no solution to the apostrophe issue but I understand there is a switch regarding the capitalization but testing seemed to not behave as expected. For example, before I could edit a member's topic title and correct the capitalization as I tried in your (attrayant) topic - but now it won't change.

Yes, a software program is not always smarter nor more convenient than human input.

Seems like a simple bit of programming to fix, simply pulling out the algorithms that govern capitalization in the thread titles. Allow the human input to stand, untouched. We have endured this minor irritation for years; but, the fact that a significant number people have complained about it on this thread, shows that it might be graduating from "minor?" wink.png

Edited by Fookhaht

Hi Folks,

Please use the old fashioned way in your headings then. coffee1.gif

The one that I try to use is the K.I.S.S.principle

Keep

It

Simple

Silly (stupid)

A very old DOS way btw, but still to this day should be used thumbsup.gif

Win w00t.gif

The software module that deals with thread headings was written by a grocer.

I'M not understanding this.

Grocers (butchers, etc) used to be notorious for making grammar or spelling mistakes on their own advertising signs outside of their shops (think of a hand written chalk board on the street advertising the grocer's wares)....

People would pass by, and the mistakes would catch their eye....even to the point of going inside the store to point out the spelling/grammar mistakes....once inside, they'd be more likely to buy something.. Great little marketing strategy smile.png

Hi Folks,

Please use the old fashioned way in your headings then. coffee1.gif

The one that I try to use is the K.I.S.S.principle

Keep

It

Simple

Silly (stupid)

A very old DOS way btw, but still to this day should be used thumbsup.gif

Win w00t.gif

You mean, like "U.S.A.?" Brilliant! tongue.png

Yes, a software program is not always smarter nor more convenient than human input.

Seems like a simple bit of programming to fix, simply pulling out the algorithms that govern capitalization in the thread titles. Allow the human input to stand, untouched. We have endured this minor irritation for years; but, the fact that a significant number people have complained about it on this thread, shows that it might be graduating from "minor?" wink.png

Err.. sorry to burst your bubble but it has not been "years". In fact, pretty sure its been less than one.

The words molehill and mountain spring to mind... especially since there are 21 posts on this thread and 8 of them made by mods or admin and 4 from the OP wink.png

Must be a very recent change then - I asked just over a month ago for this topic title to be changed and it was done (as you can see by the topic title, it would look quite strange if the capitalisation was enforced).

If it now can't be done, even my a mod or admin, then I agree with other posters that this is something which definitely should be looked at. If the software now won't allow this, then I assume it would be considered as a bug and therefore you'd hope that InVision would release a patch for it a.s.a.p.

Err.. sorry to burst your bubble but it has not been "years". In fact, pretty sure its been less than one.

The words molehill and mountain spring to mind... especially since there are 21 posts on this thread and 8 of them made by mods or admin and 4 from the OP wink.png

I hate to burst bubbles too, but it's been at least three years we've put up with the capitalization problem on acrostics (don't know about the apostrophe problem). And, it seems that the complaint posts continue to grow . . .whistling.gif

Must be a very recent change then - I asked just over a month ago for this topic title to be changed and it was done (as you can see by the topic title, it would look quite strange if the capitalisation was enforced).

If it now can't be done, even my a mod or admin, then I agree with other posters that this is something which definitely should be looked at. If the software now won't allow this, then I assume it would be considered as a bug and therefore you'd hope that InVision would release a patch for it a.s.a.p.

Yes, a recent change and Invision are aware of it.

• Like 1