Help! I Got A Call Today...

A good American friend phoned me and told me his Thai wife passed away. He is stressed about the arrangements for a Christian burial she requested, but then freaked about his Thai wife marriage visa status. Will it automatically cancel? He is not old enough for a retirement visa, has a lot of personal property here and a house and does not want to hear he has to leave.

Yes it will, but that doesn't mean he has to leave , he can get other visas , I would get an edacational visa and take a language class or some other qualifying class. If his wife owned land with the house he has 1 year to sell it before the government can confiscate it. If I were him I would be more worried about that than the visa.

He should go to imigration and talk with them right away because his visa is already no good, but they will work with him and help him out , but not doing anything about it will cause a big fine later down the line. they will probabbly find him some 2 month extension and he can work on the ED visa during that time. But as of now I believe he has no Visa technically. You can't have a marrage visa married to a deceased person and the Visa doesn't last until the time is up it only is valid while she is alive.

Edited by MrRealDeal

Sorry for your friends loss. Technically he has to leave when the marriage ends. But in the case of death, immigration is understanding and doesn't expect you to just start packing righ away. But there is no time frame in which to do things.

He has to find another reason to stay in Thailand, unless there are children. Study or if he owns more than 10 millin baht worth he might qualify based on investment.

Thats the wrong approach and EXACTLY why I mentioned it , they won't find out until it's to late for HIM ...... Huryat is not correct, unless he adds to his problem by lying , he has to report every 90 days and unless he lies they would find out then , just do the right thing and take care of it NOW. That probabbly means he needs to report in 30 days but not for sure. Because you said he was just there 60 ago

Like I said you need to mention to him the 1 year law about inheriting property if it applys to him. That could be a lot more important than an expired visa in 13 months.

People are a LOT more understanding when you do the right thing than when you don't even if it's by accident ..... because everyone uses that excuse and they don't care to determine who is lying and who is telling the truth so the assumption is ...... no one cares about your I didnt know excuse.

Edited by MrRealDeal

thats the wrong approach and EXACTLY why I mentioned it , they won't find out until it's to late for HIM ...... Huryat is not correct, unless he adds to his problem by lying , he has to report every 90 days and unless he lies they would find out then , just do the right thing and take care of it NOW.

Not saying too much, but for 90day reporting you do not need to take your wife or anything much, so how would they know (it would be illegal not to inform them of that we all agree).

Best way forward is to speak to Immigration and they will probably give him some time then he can get a tourist visa

Thats the wrong approach and EXACTLY why I mentioned it , they won't find out until it's to late for HIM ...... Huryat is not correct, unless he adds to his problem by lying , he has to report every 90 days and unless he lies they would find out then , just do the right thing and take care of it NOW.

Like I said you need to mention to him the 1 year law about inheriting property if it applys to him. That could be a lot more important than an expired visa in 13 months.

People are a LOT more understanding when you do the right thing than when you don't even if it's by accident ..... because everyone uses that excuse and they don't care to determine who is lying and who is telling the truth so the assumption is ...... no one cares about your I didnt know excuse.

Excuse me but what are you talking about... I said they wont find out until he goes back for an extension..I NEVER said lie did i? Read before you talk garbage...

Thats the wrong approach and EXACTLY why I mentioned it , they won't find out until it's to late for HIM ...... Huryat is not correct, unless he adds to his problem by lying , he has to report every 90 days and unless he lies they would find out then , just do the right thing and take care of it NOW.

Excuse me but what are you talking about... I said they wont find out until he goes back for an extension..I NEVER said lie did i? Read before you talk garbage...

No you did not and I wasnt implying you were lying or anyone else would lie ...... Let me rephrase it , He has to report every 90 days and say that he is still married and the visa applys to him so imigration will find out then, not when he goes in 10 months to renew the visa ...... unless he was to lie on the 90 reporting report.

I guess I could have simply said they will find out on the 90 reporting time and left it at that , but I wanted to point out how it could be possible for you to be correct.

Edited by MrRealDeal

No you did not and I wasnt implying you were lying or anyone else would lie ...... Let me rephrase it , He has to report every 90 days and say that he is still married and the visa applys to him so imigration will find out then, not when he goes in 10 months to renew the visa ...... unless he was to lie on the 90 reporting report.

yes i agree.. Like i said in my earlier post he should inform them if not they wont find out until his next extension of stay which looks like its 10 months away... He can still get another visa so there is a way around it..

Sorry to hear about the loss off the guys wife and its terrible to have to worry about a visa after such a shock of losing a loved one..

yes i agree.. Like i said in my earlier post he should inform them if not they wont find out until his next extension of stay which looks like its 10 months away... He can still get another visa so there is a way around it..

Sorry to hear about the loss off the guys wife and its terrible to have to worry about a visa after such a shock of losing a loved one..

dude thats simply WRONG ..... they will find out at the 90 day reporting time NOT 10 months from now , every 90 days he needs to verify his visa still applys , not every year or 10 months from now ...... his visa does not apply so they will find out in less than 90 days. But at least we agree that he should just go and talk to them right away thats the important thing.

For the OP ..... the 90 day reporting is done for situations just like this or other situations where peoples 1 year visa no longer applys , just so they can find out or verify that it's still good in 90 days rather than 10 months down the road. All 1 year visa holders need to report to verify their situation every 90 days. All everyone actually not just 1 year people.

Edited by MrRealDeal

thats the wrong approach and EXACTLY why I mentioned it , they won't find out until it's to late for HIM ...... Huryat is not correct, unless he adds to his problem by lying , he has to report every 90 days and unless he lies they would find out then , just do the right thing and take care of it NOW.

Not saying too much, but for 90day reporting you do not need to take your wife or anything much, so how would they know (it would be illegal not to inform them of that we all agree).

Best way forward is to speak to Immigration and they will probably give him some time then he can get a tourist visa

You need to verify that the visa still applys to you ..... as I mentioned he could lie and probabbly get away with it but the report requires you to sign it and attest to the visa still being applicaple to you , you can mail it in so yes your wife doesn't need to be involved, but you still need to sign it saying your still married and the visa applys and it does not. I don't remember actually but I think my wife signs it as well but perhaps not. but my point is the same you would need to lie for them not to find out and they would find out you lied eventually.

The good American friend did not want to hear "he has to leave" so I am sure he had some knowledge of what his present situation would be, wouldn't most of us if living here, married, he has been dealing with immigration for sometime.

Troll and reply removed.

As it appears subject was on a Thai wife extension of stay it ends so will have to arrange new stay as stated early in thread. Having children would not change that if they were not the reason for extension of stay.

The good American friend did not want to hear "he has to leave" so I am sure he had some knowledge of what his present situation would be, wouldn't most of us if living here, married, he has been dealing with immigration for sometime.

He did not see this coming. Her mom called her and asked her to drop some food off for her because she was very ill. Normally the guy drives her places and really never liked her to ride a motorbike anywhere. It was early and he was still sleeping so she had a neighbor friend take her on a motorbike. The were clipped by a truck. The friend giving her the ride was critically injured, my buddies wife was killed and the truck left the scene.

Somehow, and maybe I am taking this wrong, but I find your post insensitive and condescending "good American friend..blah, blah, blah..."

Edited by Koratpat

This problem show again the advantages of having a retirement extension, which I myself can't afford, at least at the moment. There is also the extension based on guardianship, which does not end when when the child reaches 21 as far as I know. This seems to be the one to go for in my own case as I could then legally work in Thailand.

This problem show again the advantages of having a retirement extension, which I myself can't afford, at least at the moment. There is also the extension based on guardianship, which does not end when when the child reaches 21 as far as I know. This seems to be the one to go for in my own case as I could then legally work in Thailand.

Read the OPs first post not old enough for retirement extension. Tell your friend to go to immigration and explain situation they will give him sometime. Immigration officers are not orges and they understand a situation like this. He can then go to laos and apply for a tourist visa giving him some more time to sort out situation. Edited by moe666

Just on the land inheritance issue:

My Thai wife died a year ago suddenly, without a will.

I went to the local court to see how to become "executor of her property"

All I needed was the following:

- a signed waiver from our two adult children (who have Thai citizenship and get primary claim on property),

- marriage certificate

- death certificate

- household registration booklet (blue)

- passport (with photo page translated into Thai by a translation agency - no MOFA certification

- a one of the land deeds

- processing fee of 500 baht

The court advertised the receipt of my petition in the newspaper (in case anyone wanted to protest)

Then, about two months later, I had my court date which consisted of a ten-minute appearance before a judge, who asked me some simple questions to verify my claim. Done.

In addition, they never seemed concerned about what type of visa extension I had (although I was/am on a retirement ext.).

Word to the wise....

• Like 1

] dude thats simply WRONG ..... they will find out at the 90 day reporting time NOT 10 months from now , every 90 days he needs to verify his visa still applys , not every year or 10 months from now ...... his visa does not apply so they will find out in less than 90 days. But at least we agree that he should just go and talk to them right away thats the important thing.

For the OP ..... the 90 day reporting is done for situations just like this or other situations where peoples 1 year visa no longer applys , just so they can find out or verify that it's still good in 90 days rather than 10 months down the road. All 1 year visa holders need to report to verify their situation every 90 days. All everyone actually not just 1 year people.

Actually a 90 day report is identify that the person concerned is intending on staying in Thailand more than 90 days and to give their address, not to verify their visa status and not all 1 year visa holders do a 90 day report, some need to visa run every 90 days.

As regards your comments as regards inheritance laws...what you are staying may be correct if parties were married in community of property and there is no defined will, but if the deceased has specified in a will something else ie leaving property to a family member, then the inheritance rule would not apply

@ MrRealDeal

dude thats simply WRONG ..... they will find out at the 90 day reporting time NOT 10 months from now , every 90 days he needs to verify his visa still applys , not every year or 10 months from now ...... his visa does not apply so they will find out in less than 90 days. But at least we agree that he should just go and talk to them right away thats the important thing.

Actually you're wrong. the 90 day report has nothing to do with your visa, only what address you're staying at. However, I think OP's friend will be on overstay from the day his wife passed away.

Unless you get an educational visa or a job and a B visa with work permit, you can do the go in and out every 90 days like many here do anyway.

If you want to keep the property and have no concern about the "investment," you can give the property to somebody, but take back a usufruct, which will allow you to live on and use the property, with complete and total control, as if you own it for the rest of your life.

Also, also, I thnk all this business about immediate overstay can be completely avoided. If you are on a marriage extension and want to take a trip to, say, Laos, you must get a re-entry permit first. If you fail to get the re-entry permit, your marriage extension is automatically cancelled upon departure (without questions). So, the trick is, skip the re-entry permit, travel to a country that has a Thai Embassy that will issue a non-O good for a year, with departures every 90 days, and get one of those. Problem solved. With this method, you can milk your current marriage extension another 10 months. I think you can get the non-O in either Malaysia or Hong Kong, but not sure about that.

Edited by TongueThaied

How soon and how would immigration find out? He just renewed less than two months ago,

Probably Immigration will find out during your next visit for an extension of stay where your friend has to present his wife or at least the marriage papers.

Of course, the consequences of a discovery of "fraud" will be heavier.