How And Where To Get A Thai Driving License In Bangkok With A Tourist Visa

polux

Hi everybody, I'd like to know if somebody can tell me where can I find the good office to get a Thai driving licence in Bangkok. I have a 2 entries TOURIST VISA ,a residence certificate from my embassy, a (French) driving license with international driving license. i'd like to know if someone was in the same situation and got his license without problem.

Thanks folks!smile.png

Edited by metisdead
: Font resized to normal: Arial size 14.

The Transport Department is the only place you can get a Thai driving licence . But not with a tourist visa. The

only way you can drive legally in Thailand is with an International Driving Licence Issued in France. However your French

Driving Licence would probably be OK for the cops if you are stopped

• Like 1

The Transport Department is the only place you can get a Thai driving licence . But not with a tourist visa. The

only way you can drive legally in Thailand is with an International Driving Licence Issued in France. However your French

You can change to a 1 year thai license with what you have as you have a visa rather than an entry on arrival stamp. After 1 year you can get a 5 year license. You can also legally drive on your french license with IDP ( it has your license details in english) for up 6mths.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Thanks for you answers guys , I've been checked by the cops here in Bangkok with these papers and that's true everything was alright, but i live here now for already 2 years I really expect to get a Thai driving license , it will be more convenient for many reasons. That's why I'd like to know if somebody got is driving license , with a simple tourist visa in Bangkok. thumbsup.gif

I've heard about an office in Sukhumvit soi 99, any precisions someone ?

Don't listen to people who do not know what they are speaking about.

If live here and keep driving with international license insurance companies can deny the claim in case of accident, then you're fuxxed.

You want to know where in Bangkok you can apply for a Thai driving license with a tourist visa ? I don't know in Bangkok but you can for sure at Pattaya/Chonburi.

Maybe also possible at Bkk with a small gift ?

At Pattaya you can even get a 5 years license without testing anything, just buy showing your international document.

Cheers.

I know already what paper I need and I know also that in others places like Samui, Phuket or Pataya It's easy to get a driving license with a TOURIST visa. All I wanna know is , where in BANGKOK it's possible to get a driving license with a Tourist visa?

A friend of mine did his Thai driving license in Bangkok at Sukhumvit soi 99 (not sure) few years ago , I'd like to know if someone I've been there recently to get a Thai driving license with a tourist visa?

To answer to you guys above , if you get involved in a car accident by your fault , consequences will be worst .Much more money to pay with insurance if you own only a foreign and international driving license.

That's the reason why I want a get a Thai driving license.

Thank you in advance people, I hope that topic will help other people to get a easy TDL, biggrin.png

department of transport in Taling Chan (5 mins from southern bus terminal in the direction of Pinklao), sorry I cannot be more specific, but the turning on the main rd is just before tops, a taxi driver will no doubt know it.

You need your licence (from home), proof of address from your embassy, passport copy, then you will have to take a colour blindness test at the nearbye opticians and to take a simple driving test (reaction test would better describe it). Expect it to take anything from about 4 hours to a whole day

department of transport in Taling Chan (5 mins from southern bus terminal in the direction of Pinklao), sorry I cannot be more specific, but the turning on the main rd is just before tops, a taxi driver will no doubt know it.

You need your licence (from home), proof of address from your embassy, passport copy, then you will have to take a colour blindness test at the nearbye opticians and to take a simple driving test (reaction test would better describe it). Expect it to take anything from about 4 hours to a whole day

Don't agree with the time required. I have done 1 yr permit twice and they only took an hour or so.

Never did a driving test, 3d vision test thingy yes.

And the color blind test was done on site (but not at Pinklao and maybe different places have different ways).

The 5 Yr license was 15 minutes (maybe less).

Otherwise correct info.

5yr lic 105baht, 1 yr .. can't remember.

If live here and keep driving with international license insurance companies can deny the claim in case of accident, then you're fuxxed.

You want to know where in Bangkok you can apply for a Thai driving license with a tourist visa ? I don't know in Bangkok but you can for sure at Pattaya/Chonburi.

At Pattaya you can even get a 5 years license without testing anything, just buy showing your international document.

Cheers.

HI

Can you please advise where? Been driving for 5 years in Thailand on International licence and its about time i upgraded to a Thai one

many thx

Wrong....

You get a 1 year licence after doing some simple tests, you don't need to do a test drive or sit at the computer & do the written examination if you have IDP.

You can get a 5 year licence after the 1 year has expired, not before. If you renew your 5 year before the expiry date, they olny give you another 1 year licence.

In both cases, you need a certificate of residency from Immigration @ thb200

Remember, TIT

Get off the skytrain at Ban Chalk on the left hand side,(if you came from the Siam direction). Walk in the same direction as the skytrain Just before a business called DKSH theres a laneway to the right. Motor bike taxis are here if you don't want to walk. This leads you to the motor tax office.

I have a work permitt so I don't know the proceedure for getting a licence without one.

Cheers.

HI

Can you please advise where? Been driving for 5 years in Thailand on International licence and its about time i upgraded to a Thai one

many thx

I don't know where you live but in Pattaya it is at the Lands Office out near the Regent School.

I assume the same office in every Provinence

I know already what paper I need and I know also that in others places like Samui, Phuket or Pataya It's easy to get a driving license with a TOURIST visa. All I wanna know is , where in BANGKOK it's possible to get a driving license with a Tourist visa?

A friend of mine did his Thai driving license in Bangkok at Sukhumvit soi 99 (not sure) few years ago , I'd like to know if someone I've been there recently to get a Thai driving license with a tourist visa?

To answer to you guys above , if you get involved in a car accident by your fault , consequences will be worst .Much more money to pay with insurance if you own only a foreign and international driving license.

Thank you in advance people, I hope that topic will help other people to get a easy TDL, biggrin.png

You will NEVER get a licence with a tourist visa. The office has a person check all your paperwork before you enter the building, 1 missing or wrong, come back another day.

I think this is someone pumping a good story out in a bar.....

This information is patently wrong. You can absolutely get a Thai license with the documents described by the OP, plus a health certificate which is issued by any doctor's office for usually 50-100 THB.

I got my original Thai driver license 3 years ago at the land transport office up in Onnut (sorry I forget the address), completely legally and with no shortcuts or tea money. A friend of mine got hers the same way.

1) Yes you can get a license with a tourist visa.

2) The DL place that I know of which is the biggest one is in Rangsit, soi 4 Bangkok.

3) What you need will be a residency letter from the THAI Immigration office NOT the French embassy. Also bring your French license along with your International Driving Permit. 2 Photos and be prepared to take the test both written and physically if they want ( sitting at the machine and all that crap)

The place you asked about on Sukhumvit would not be a real place. Also I'm not sure about the MOT near Chatachuk for a licence but I do know only the big licence place I mentioned in Rangsit. I got mine 12 years ago.

Edited by Gone

1) Yes you can get a license with a tourist visa.

2) The DL place that I know of which is the biggest one is in Rangsit, soi 4 Bangkok.

3) What you need will be a residency letter from the THAI Immigration office NOT the French embassy. Also bring your French license along with your International Driving Permit. 2 Photos and be prepared to take the test both written and physically if they want ( sitting at the machine and all that crap)

The place you asked about on Sukhumvit would not be a real place. Also I'm not sure about the MOT near Chatachuk for a licence but I do know only the big licence place I mentioned in Rangsit. I got mine 12 years ago.

I got my licence at this "unreal" place!

Driven with another countries license here for many years. Have had to involve insurances companies twice. No pronlems. Just make sure you have the delux insurance package. Please dont think because its not your fault you will be treated different than if it was your fault.

The old adage here in LOS is "if your were not here it would not have happened"

Take care driving in Thailand.

BOTH YOUR REPLIES ARE WRONG !

It's transportation office and you can get it with a tourist visa.

Cheers.

HI

many thx

I don't know where you live but in Pattaya it is at the Lands Office out near the Regent School.

I assume the same office in every Provinence

Driven with another countries license here for many years. Have had to involve insurances companies twice. No pronlems. Just make sure you have the delux insurance package. Please dont think because its not your fault you will be treated different than if it was your fault.

The old adage here in LOS is "if your were not here it would not have happened"

Take care driving in Thailand.

Not sure what you are rambling about but after 32 years of driving in Thailand and a few scrapes I have always been treated equally and with the same respect by insurance companies as given to Thai's

Edited by BrianCR
  • Like 1

The main Transport office is in Chatuchak. I would suggest you go there with a translator and ask, rather than asking on here. On here you'll only get a heap of different answers from people who 'think' they know the correct one.

For me, i have a 5 year Thai car and bike license. I have a work permit, GB driving license (not international) and one year visa. I got my license without any problems, Had to do the coloour blindness and depth perception tests but the whole process took around an hour from arriving to leaving.

Good luck, but seriously try to get a translator to go to the Transport Ministry office in Chatuchak first.

Ok, not really answering the OP's question...but this is what I did today.

I went to the Department of Land Transportation for Area 3, which covers the districts: Prakhanong, Pravate, Suan luang, Klong toey and Wattana. I took the BTS to Bang Chak. Walk out exit 3 going in the same direction as traffic for approximately 115 meters. There will be a LONG driveway on the left. Moto taxis are available if you don't want to walk. Go to the end of the drive, the office is to the left of the parking lot. All signage inside is in Thai except one sign that says "One Stop Window". By the way, I do not read or speak Thai. I asked the lady in English where I go to get the forms for a car and a motorcycle license. With a questioning look, she sent me to window 9. The lady there spoke no English but via hand jestures we communicated and she motioned me to window 10. The lady there spoke a FEW words of English and was preturbed I didn't speak Thai, but she was helpful. She gave me two applications to sign and double checked to make sure I had all of my supporting documents. I was applying for two licenses (car and motorcycle), hence the duplicates of everything. I gave her my original Passport, two copies each of the first page of my passport; the page with my visa; the page with my latest entry stamp; my TM card (Departure Card); a letter from the US Embassy establishing my residence address (the original and one photocopy); the Doctor's Certificate (the original and one photocopy); my original International Drivers License; two copies of main page and two copies showing the translation. No pictures are needed as they take a picture of you at the time the license is issued. She told me to sit and wait. Eight minutes later, she called me to the counter (I waited where I could watch her). She gave me back all of the forms I gave her plus a couple of extras already filled out. Remember, I only SIGNED the applications and did NOT fill in any spaces or answer any questions. She did it for me. She motioned me to wait at room 16. This is where you take your three physical tests... reflex test, depth perception test, and color blind test. I got there while the instructors were at lunch, so I had to wait 18 minutes before they came back. There was another group before me, so I had to wait and watch a movie in Thai that explains the three tests. Watching the video gives you the general idea of what is expected. I waited 20 more minutes, took my tests, got my forms checked and signed off and was told to go to window 18, the One Stop window. There I was told to sign both of the forms as directed and put my phone number on them. I was assigned a number. I waited 20 minutes while my number was in que. I went to the assigned desk as shown on the overhead monitor where all of the paperwork was rechecked and verified. My picture was taken, I paid 360 baht total for the licenses and they were issued on the spot. Total time was under an hour and a half and total English words spoken were under ten. They spoke a bunch of Thai, but I just looked stupid and that seemed to work for me. Everyone was cordial, not really friendly but I have no complaints.

• Like 2

Ok, not really answering the OP's question...but this is what I did today.

I went to the Department of Land Transportation for Area 3, which covers the districts: Prakhanong, Pravate, Suan luang, Klong toey and Wattana. I took the BTS to Bang Chak. Walk out exit 3 going in the same direction as traffic for approximately 115 meters. There will be a LONG driveway on the left. Moto taxis are available if you don't want to walk. Go to the end of the drive, the office is to the left of the parking lot. All signage inside is in Thai except one sign that says "One Stop Window". By the way, I do not read or speak Thai. I asked the lady in English where I go to get the forms for a car and a motorcycle license. With a questioning look, she sent me to window 9. The lady there spoke no English but via hand jestures we communicated and she motioned me to window 10. The lady there spoke a FEW words of English and was preturbed I didn't speak Thai, but she was helpful. She gave me two applications to sign and double checked to make sure I had all of my supporting documents. I was applying for two licenses (car and motorcycle), hence the duplicates of everything. I gave her my original Passport, two copies each of the first page of my passport; the page with my visa; the page with my latest entry stamp; my TM card (Departure Card); a letter from the US Embassy establishing my residence address (the original and one photocopy); the Doctor's Certificate (the original and one photocopy); my original International Drivers License; two copies of main page and two copies showing the translation. No pictures are needed as they take a picture of you at the time the license is issued. She told me to sit and wait. Eight minutes later, she called me to the counter (I waited where I could watch her). She gave me back all of the forms I gave her plus a couple of extras already filled out. Remember, I only SIGNED the applications and did NOT fill in any spaces or answer any questions. She did it for me. She motioned me to wait at room 16. This is where you take your three physical tests... reflex test, depth perception test, and color blind test. I got there while the instructors were at lunch, so I had to wait 18 minutes before they came back. There was another group before me, so I had to wait and watch a movie in Thai that explains the three tests. Watching the video gives you the general idea of what is expected. I waited 20 more minutes, took my tests, got my forms checked and signed off and was told to go to window 18, the One Stop window. There I was told to sign both of the forms as directed and put my phone number on them. I was assigned a number. I waited 20 minutes while my number was in que. I went to the assigned desk as shown on the overhead monitor where all of the paperwork was rechecked and verified. My picture was taken, I paid 360 baht total for the licenses and they were issued on the spot. Total time was under an hour and a half and total English words spoken were under ten. They spoke a bunch of Thai, but I just looked stupid and that seemed to work for me. Everyone was cordial, not really friendly but I have no complaints.

Thank you so much 49erMike clap2.gif , I really appreciate your fresh report, this is really what I needed. But there is one important detail i don't get , do you have a TOURIST visa ? I've got almost all the answers I needed , just missing now that VISA detail smile.png

Edited by polux

There is a transport office along the Sukhumvit road. Not sure of the Soi no, but coming from Udom Suk towards On Nut it is on the right hand side, maybe a couple of Km's before you get to On-Nut bts.

Same tests as detailed above, not sure about your visa situation though.

Polux-

Sorry, I knew your original question and tried to find out about the tourist visa situation while I was there. I THINK what the lady was telling me was they would not issue on a tourist visa on arrival stamp in your passport. I was trying to get an answer about an actual issued tourist visa, but with my lack of Thai speaking and her lack of English skills, we weren't getting anywhere...sorry.

do anybody now where to find the test questions or test material from the theory test for thai drivers licence.

I have a Thai drivers license for car and want to take for Motorcycle. So I want to fresh up my memory...

Edited by Muggi1968

Polux-

Sorry, I knew your original question and tried to find out about the tourist visa situation while I was there. I THINK what the lady was telling me was they would not issue on a tourist visa on arrival stamp in your passport. I was trying to get an answer about an actual issued tourist visa, but with my lack of Thai speaking and her lack of English skills, we weren't getting anywhere...sorry.

Don't be sorry man I already appreciate the time you are taking to give me an answer, but one more thing , can you tell me what kind of visa did you use to get your license?

Not that easy, I was refused twice.