Second Shipment Of 730,000 Tablet Computers Arrive In Thailand

webfact

Just for the record

From the urgent policies to be implemented in the first year:

"1.15 Procure tablet PCs for schools by initially distributing tablet PCs to first-year primary school students for the 2012 academic year, as well as expeditiously develop appropriate content in accordance with the approved curriculum that can be installed into the tablet PCs. Provide wireless internet services free-of-charge in public areas and educatinal institutions."

http://www.thailandtoday.org/node/509

Which they have done or are doing. Wireless internet held up by commercial struggle between telecommunication groups. So what was your point?

Wireless internet has not been held up. Mobile internet has (3G)

Two very different things. Wireless hotspots can be developed quickly and easily if there is the will to do it. Lets see how long it takes and where they put them. The current 20,000 are all government buildings.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect App

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't you just chastising another member for not using the quote function properly? rolleyes.gif Please learn how to quote a post from another thread.

We do know how many have arrived from a collection of various threads. I was just rounding to be easy on the math.

It's been 105 + 5,000 + 73,000.

I'm going with 73,000 because, as already explained, it seems to be from historically more accurate news sources than the solitary The Nation quote. Surely you've seen the bashing The Nation gets for its inaccuracies in other threads. It's posted on every day in just about every news thread.

At the end of the day, we have 78,105 tablets in late July compared with the 11,000,000 tablets pledged for last May.

Yep, they're doing great.

rolleyes.gif

I'll ignore your deliberate childish distraction and focus on your faulty arithmetic and factually incorrect numbers...

"We do know how many have arrived from a collection of various threads. I was just rounding to be easy on the math.

It's been 105 + 5,000 + 73,000.@

Really? You know this for sure despite already conceding that 73,000 could be 730,000... you also seem to be missing a batch here...

"ah yes, forgot the 10th announcement. At 134,000.... they've passed the 1% mark of their stated pledge and are well on their way to 2%."

Yes, clearly you were and still are just guessing at the numbers in the current batch... how does that fit in with your former assertions you were defending so vehemently?! You were, again by your own admission, incorrect and giving out false statistics,which is exactly what I picked up on with my first post!

Clearly my original point was accurate, you are simply conjuring up statistics! 2% of what? In what time-frame? 11,000,000 pledged for last May? What are you going on about? Last May? Complete inaccuracy & fabrication of "facts" seems to be a running trend in your posts...

Incidentally it's not just been reported at 730,000 by the Nation, that figure's been seized on by a number of sources... google is your friend Bulchholz.! I agree 73,000 would seem to fit the production capacity of the Chinese supplier better but we don't know for sure do we? So we are back to your false statistics, based on guess work and fabricated totals attached to a fabricated time-frame... Are you sure that you don't work for the Nation?!

Let's start with the end of your malarkey and work back.

YOU are the one claiming that sources other than The Nation purporting 730,000.

YOU supply them

...or it falls apart as easily as the rest of your diatribe.

The time frame was claimed by Yingluck's point man.

The total tablets pledged was claimed by Yingluck's point man.

To attempt to deflect from that with nonsense about "fabricated" totals and time frames as well as "false statistics" is but an empty apologist effort.

Yes, I missed a batch. If the entire scheme had ever been run efficiently, effectively, and transparently, the chance of that would diminish to zero. Instead, it's been one long road of ever-changing deadlines, goals, deliveries, suppliers, auctions, delays and endless conflicting reports from in-fighting ministries (Education and ICT).

The battle over control and the inbred corruption has been fierce between the two resulting in confusion and lack of transparency.

How many threads have there been on this issue? 20?

That's an indication in itself of the convoluted nature of this scheme.

Further confirmation that the 730,000 tablets was a misstatement by The Nation in the OP.

Today's Bangkok Post reported a total of only 190,000 tablets having been received from Shenzen Scope since the scheme was inaugurated.

The thread title should read:

Second Shipment Of 73,000 Tablet Computers Arrive In Thailand

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

Shenzhen Scope taps Advice Distribution for tablet servicing

Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development, which is supplying tablets in Thailand, has signed a service outsourcing agreement with Advice Distribution. The latter will operate 30 service centres for the One Tablet per Child project, the Bankok Post writes.

Under the conditions of Shenzhen Scope's contract, the company had been given 60 days to 9 August to provide after-sales services for the tablets in at least 30 locations.

Scope further plans to increase the number of service centres to 100 by 2013 with Advice Distribution.

Telecompaper - August 10, 2012

http://www.telecompa...ablet-servicing

Edited by Buchholz

Please do some research before you make silly comments like: Growing the country and Astonishing that people on here try to denigrate advance and improvement. It is not that black on white.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/02/ebooks/the-truth-about-tablets-educators-are-getting-ipads-and-ereaders-into-students-hands-but-its-not-easy/

As you can see, many western countries are skeptical about the implementation.

Of course Thailand (as an over-developed country run by geniuses) will not face all these issues because they have carefully worked out all the pros and cons.

And if it fails, and if they will ever admit it, they can just set up another agency to "LOOK INTO IT".

Please do some research before you make silly comments like: Growing the country and Astonishing that people on here try to denigrate advance and improvement. It is not that black on white.

http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/02/ebooks/the-truth-about-tablets-educators-are-getting-ipads-and-ereaders-into-students-hands-but-its-not-easy/

As you can see, many western countries are skeptical about the implementation.

Of course Thailand (as an over-developed country run by geniuses) will not face all these issues because they have carefully worked out all the pros and cons.

And if it fails, and if they will ever admit it, they can just set up another agency to "LOOK INTO IT".

The article raises a number of valid issues, but it also needs pointing out that in addition to the hurdles mentioned, the biggest difference is it is discussing difficulties involving US$820 iPads.

That highlights the multitude of additional hurdles Thailand faces with its 10-percenter-of-that US$82 ScoPads.