People Who Waste Your Time

eek

Its a major upset for me! Something ive never really learned to be ok with.

Time is valuable to me. Even if i choose to waste it on something, then its still my own choice.

But if someone is blase about my time, misses appointments, forgets, etc..I feel it shows a total lack of respect.

I can forgive it of course, if a person is genuinely apologetic or is a non-common occurrence.

But if im treated like my time isnt important, it can make my blood boil!

..what about you guys?

..or is there anything else you particularly have a major blood boil about instead?

dont-waste-my-time-monkey.gif

How's your foot. ?smile.png

heyy..thats random!

My foot is fine, had its year anniversary on the 20th of this month.

Unfortunately i had the worst accident of my life 4 months later...! A lot of work on my nose and face to try fix that one. But hey..im still here!

Yeah, I really get pissed when someone is late all the time, when a time to meet has been made. It shows a definite lack of respect for my time. I especially get riled when someone makes an early morning appointment with me and then calls at the appointed time and say they will be half hour late or an hour late. Frankly, I am not a morning person.

When I lived in Darwin the tradies were always late for appointments. I think in all my years there I can count on one hand how many were on time. The locals called it NT time. I then moved here and found that if they say 1000 26/07/2012 and they arrive on 26/07 then they are on time. This is called Thai time. I have learnt to accept this slowly. Luckily I am retired

How's your foot. ?smile.png

heyy..thats random!

My foot is fine, had its year anniversary on the 20th of this month.

Unfortunately i had the worst accident of my life 4 months later...! A lot of work on my nose and face to try fix that one. But hey..im still here!

Shows l care eh. thumbsup.gif
  • Like 1

In my previous life it was........"hurry-up and wait", and I soon got to be very patient with respect to times and dead-lines.

BUT........if I was 5 minutes late hit-the-fan.gif .

So now that I am happily retired, I am also on Thai-time........I got over it.

• Like 1

Time has less value in Thailand and other places where average salaries are low. Same thing with big city to small city. Still I have real issues with people who waste my time. It feels like lack of respect or maybe even theft. There is so much you can accomplish in less time when people make an effort to keep an appointment.

It is so bad here that I consider showing up on time a waste of my time because I will inevitably have nothing to do but wait when I could be doing something else.

I have probably developed a lot of patience here, but I have a long way to go.

I hate people who make appointments then are late, i am always early for appointments. This morning i said to my wife what time do you have to be there oh 8 o" clock but it is five minutes to 8 now i say to her no problem i am late, thats wrong i say , she says darling t.i.t. everybodys late!!!1

I was late for a 3 pm Friday meeting in Bangkok once but that was due to heavy traffic plus the fact I had flown 10,000 km from the UK and only arrived at DM at 2 pm.

Another guy living in BKK was later than me.

My pet hate is my next door neighbour.

Her daughter and my son go on the same school bus leaving around 6 am and if the driver is lucky 1 time out of 10 she will have her daughter ready.

Me, my wife and son can make it on time so why can't she.

When I worked in an international hotel in BKK we interviewed a local guy as Director Of Food And Beverage. Met the criteria, had vast experience and gave a good interview so we offered him the position. He'd signed the contract and we awaited him on his first day. He never showed up. Repeatedly rang the phone number he gave us. No answer until late in the afternoon. As I was cross-training in HR I was they bloke the GM asked to call him. As strongly but politely as I could muster I gave the watered down version of " Where the f*** were you this morning you do realise today is your starting date?"

He'd got another job.

I informed him that he'd signed a contract etc. but I might as well have been talking to a council skip.

Next week the phone rang. " Khun mca telephone for you."

It was the same bloke saying that his job had fallen through and was our position still open.

<deleted>?

To this day he most probably tells his drinking buddies about that impolite westerner who didn't give him another chance.

That happened so many times when I worked HR. People just not showing up for interviews and not even having the common courtesy of informing you they weren't coming. Then they'd contact you the next day or whatever to re-schedule and wonder why you told them you weren't interested in interviewing anymore. They invariably said ( with no apologies ) " I was busy" and I was invariably met with deafening silence when I replied " And you don't have access to a telephone or know somebody who does?"

Dolts.

• Like 1

My favourite is when they ring after the appointment time from their apartment to say they'll be late because of the traffic... Yet they've not yet set off.

It is lack of respect. They would not be late to meet the Queen of England.

I have cut off so many potential Thai friends because of this.

----

Not turning up for job interviews is routine here possibly because of the 0.5% unemployment rate. They can always find other work.

I was late for a 3 pm Friday meeting in Bangkok once but that was due to heavy traffic plus the fact I had flown 10,000 km from the UK and only arrived at DM at 2 pm.

Her daughter and my son go on the same school bus leaving around 6 am and if the driver is lucky 1 time out of 10 she will have her daughter ready.

the closer you live to something, the later you are likely to be

The school they go to is 65 km away in Khampaeng Phet and if 3 parents hold the bus up for 5 minutes each the whole bus load of people including the kids already on it are delayed. Not a nice thing to happen if you are farther down the line and waiting in the rain.

I used to ask questions as to 'when' something is happening, now I just let them happen, I worked out that the reason I could not get an accurate answer is that nobody knew for sure if the intended time and date woud be met by the other party, and as they could not control this, a vague answer was the most truthful option.....

If my wife and I decide to organise an outing for the kids then the first I would know it was actually happening would be the arrival of the minibus and the instruction to go shower....smile.png ......I have learnt to know in advance because the excitement rises, and the kids shower, I shower too and usually the transport arrives shortly afterwards.

I find the Thai where I spend my time in the countryside are very relaxed about these things, for instance if we accept that the transport is provided by a friend at a much reduced rate, then if a job that pays the full rate crops up we are happy to adjust, either to other transport, or another day....it really is that relaxed, I enjoy it. When I have dragged myself out of bed to get to work for years, I can live and enjoy a little flexibility.

I used to ask questions as to 'when' something is happening, now I just let them happen, I worked out that the reason I could not get an accurate answer is that nobody knew for sure if the intended time and date woud be met by the other party, and as they could not control this, a vague answer was the most truthful option.....

I solved this problem with my wife. I let her know that I arranged my calendar one week in advance. If she wanted to book a space for a trip, she would need to tell me in advance or me and my wallet would be unable to attend. After several family trips and shopping expeditions without me (or much money), now nothing unexpected happens.

I solved this problem with my wife. I let her know that I arranged my calendar one week in advance. If she wanted to book a space for a trip, she would need to tell me in advance or me and my wallet would be unable to attend. After several family trips and shopping expeditions without me (or much money), now nothing unexpected happens.

I enjoy a light sprinkling of the unexpected, for days out I can cope, for longer trips I insist we are booked well in advance for any travel. It is things like harvesting, if the machine breaks down all the plans are up in the air again, so no promise of a day, but I think it is great the way the Thai are so relaxed about it all.

I understand that in the city hamster wheel, this attitude would be frustrating for many, but that is why I chose the rural lifestyle

Edited by 473geo

Eek,

Apart from, what many of us have ingrained in ourselves as civility with regard to being on time...

I worked in an industry for 30 years in which 'on-time-performance' was paramount.. 'To do it now' or not all....' was the theme.

Perhaps that has become ingrained in me as I have now developed a distatste for those that abuse time as a concept with regard to a meeting, appointments, whatever.

Time is perhaps the most precious commodity that we have.

Canauckamuck - I acknowledge your point and although as an old time 'Thai Hand' ... I still have a problem. I acknowledge 'Thai time' with regard to personal... and make allowances.... but for business... it still irks.

anyway... thats my two Baht.

Gladiator

The school they go to is 65 km away in Khampaeng Phet and if 3 parents hold the bus up for 5 minutes each the whole bus load of people including the kids already on it are delayed. Not a nice thing to happen if you are farther down the line and waiting in the rain.

That is annoying, my remark was more directed at your anecdote about 10,000 kms only to arrive earlier than a local.

Living out in the sticks in LOS one really does get to assimilate "Thai time".

I can understand the frustration of city folk with important schedules and "Time is money".....been there done that.

That is why I am more relaxed now and I don't waste other peoples time and I try not to put myself in a position where they waste my time.

Also the way Thais tell time asks for confusion.

I have always maintained that the 24 hour clock is the least confusing. I still know many people back in Oz who get times mixed up on the 12 hour system (am pm), but if everyone knew the 24 hour system....no confusion.

But the Thais operate on a 6 hour system!

The number of times I've had to ask my wife to clarify when she tells me that such and such will be coming about 1 o'clock and the current time is 1500 (or 3 pm)....I say what????? Then she says "oh, I'm talking Thai time, for you it is 1900 (or 7 pm).

Confusing or what? blink.png

• Like 1

Even more annoying than late arrivals (or departures) is the sight of people just yakking on a cell phone or looking (hopefully? aimlessly?) at a phone to see...what?

I honestly think cell phones are the bane of modern life (their one saving grace possibly being emergencies, as in life and death, not the emergency of not knowing whether to buy this cheese or that cheese in the supermarket...what do you think, my love?).

What bs, what go hok (as the Thais say).

The sight of so many people being obsessed with some useless text message is for me the most depressing sight available to the modern eye.

I mean, <deleted>, what did we do before we held these prison-guards in our hands all day????

When I worked in an international hotel in BKK we interviewed a local guy as Director Of Food And Beverage. Met the criteria, had vast experience and gave a good interview so we offered him the position. He'd signed the contract and we awaited him on his first day. He never showed up. Repeatedly rang the phone number he gave us. No answer until late in the afternoon. As I was cross-training in HR I was they bloke the GM asked to call him. As strongly but politely as I could muster I gave the watered down version of " Where the f*** were you this morning you do realise today is your starting date?"

He'd got another job.

I informed him that he'd signed a contract etc. but I might as well have been talking to a council skip.

Next week the phone rang. " Khun mca telephone for you."

It was the same bloke saying that his job had fallen through and was our position still open.

<deleted>?

To this day he most probably tells his drinking buddies about that impolite westerner who didn't give him another chance.

That happened so many times when I worked HR. People just not showing up for interviews and not even having the common courtesy of informing you they weren't coming. Then they'd contact you the next day or whatever to re-schedule and wonder why you told them you weren't interested in interviewing anymore. They invariably said ( with no apologies ) " I was busy" and I was invariably met with deafening silence when I replied " And you don't have access to a telephone or know somebody who does?"

Dolts.

yes this happens quite often ...my mate in Sydney was hiring a waitress for his coffee shop an asian lass applied got the job and then didnt turn up ....all attempts at contact failed ....a week later she lobbed and walked in and expected everything to be ok ....he told her to f ....offf two days later some govt dept contacted him ....she had put a complaint in ......
  • Like 1

Eek,

Apart from, what many of us have ingrained in ourselves as civility with regard to being on time...

I worked in an industry for 30 years in which 'on-time-performance' was paramount.. 'To do it now' or not all....' was the theme.

Perhaps that has become ingrained in me as I have now developed a distatste for those that abuse time as a concept with regard to a meeting, appointments, whatever.

Time is perhaps the most precious commodity that we have.

Canauckamuck - I acknowledge your point and although as an old time 'Thai Hand' ... I still have a problem. I acknowledge 'Thai time' with regard to personal... and make allowances.... but for business... it still irks.

anyway... thats my two Baht.

Gladiator

Yes, still irks me even if i have free time, or im having a lazy day, i still respect others time and wish for the same respect.

(In saying that i was half a hour late getting to Blethers gf's restaurant *blush*, but in my defense it was my friends that were running late, and the restaurant was quite out of town, thus tricky to find.)

I have found a way around it, as long as it isnt a deadline or important thing...just for general get-togethers etc.

I often tell people i will be at such and such place at such and such time, and if they would like to join, then ill be there until x time. That way, no pressure..and i dont get irked if they say they will be there and dont turn up. Its just if its a regular occurrence of being messed around..then i get annoyed.

I lived for a short stint in Nassau where they would refer to Bahamian time. Would look at you bemused if wondered why the hell they were late.

Bahamian time however seemed more about being relaxed about time, rather than in the case of Thai time, which sometimes means not turning up at all!!