Thai Buyers Offered Uk Student Accommodation For The First Time

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property-news/2012/7/1491/thai-buyers-go-back-to-school

UK student accommodation has been really popular with property buyers and investors in Singapore so far this year. This weekend buyers in Bangkok get the chance to hear about what Knight Frank has said is the best-performing property investment asset class. This is the very first property exhibition to feature this type of investment to be held in Thailand.

Leicester...foreign students....give this ponzi a very wide berth

I wouldn't call it a ponzi - Leicester Uni has a good international reputation and foreign students, unless they are on scholarships, undoubtedly have wealthier parents than their British counterparts as they have to pay independent fees with no student loan support. Even British students now have to pay over 450,000baht per year in course fees alone - imagine what foreign students have to pay. Renting to them is probably a safe bet; British students just club together and rent a house but foreign students may not know anyone - these units will probably rent quite easily. It depends whether the stated 6% net return is before or after the rental agency takes their cut!

Leicester...foreign students....give this ponzi a very wide berth

I wouldn't call it a ponzi - Leicester Uni has a good international reputation and foreign students, unless they are on scholarships, undoubtedly have wealthier parents than their British counterparts as they have to pay independent fees with no student loan support. Even British students now have to pay over 450,000baht per year in course fees alone - imagine what foreign students have to pay. Renting to them is probably a safe bet; British students just club together and rent a house but foreign students may not know anyone - these units will probably rent quite easily. It depends whether the stated 6% net return is before or after the rental agency takes their cut!

Many foreign students dissapear without paying their fees or backdated rent, Leicester is also renouned and has the highest amount of bogus students outside London in the UK. Crown place has 200 units, rent in Leicester for a studio would be between 300-400 Sterling a month, thats less than a million pa.in total..where is the 6% gaurantee coming from...dosnt work out really. I know people in the UK that have lost their live savings on schemes like these...definatley a no go for me.

Student accommodation wasn't like that back in my day. This places comes with a swimming pool, cafeteria and gym. It's not even near to a proper university - it's close to what used to be Leicester Polytechnic.

Lots of websites are pushing this "investment" - some quoting a 10% projected return and a 50% non-status loan for the purchase. This looks very fishy to me. There are only 200 units, and they're pretty cheap - about GBP 60K. Why would it be necessary to trawl Asia to find investors if this is kosher? There are plenty of people in the UK with a bit of spare cash who'd be happy with a 10% return.

Student accommodation wasn't like that back in my day. This places comes with a swimming pool, cafeteria and gym. It's not even near to a proper university - it's close to what used to be Leicester Polytechnic.

Lots of websites are pushing this "investment" - some quoting a 10% projected return and a 50% non-status loan for the purchase. This looks very fishy to me. There are only 200 units, and they're pretty cheap - about GBP 60K. Why would it be necessary to trawl Asia to find investors if this is kosher? There are plenty of people in the UK with a bit of spare cash who'd be happy with a 10% return.

Exactly!

Dig around a bit and this is the backdrop:

http://www.lhgrfund.com/people.php

Not sure about that. Key Homes appears to be driving the dodgy investment scam, and Rafik Patel works for Key Homes and LHGR. As far as I can see, that's the only connection. No real evidence that LHGR is backing Key Homes. Of course, I may have missed something.

Amongst the bits I scanned through it actually said key homes was owned by LHGR. I'll try and find the link.