Safety Measures For Foreign Tourists In Thailand To Be Stepped Up

webfact

Tourist safety measures to be stepped up

BANGKOK, 27 July 2012 (NNT) - The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Interior are joining hands in stepping up security measures to assure safety for foreign tourists in Thailand.

In a meeting joined by Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit, and provincial governors from 10 provinces which are popular tourist destinations, the issue of tourist safety was brought up for discussion in the wake of a rising number of tourist-related crimes during the first half of this year. The meeting was also participated by tourist police, and officials from the Department of Provincial Administration and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports.

The meeting concluded that to raise security for foreign travelers, more CCTV will be installed in various spots while a central tourist center will be established to be manned by staff who can speak 7 different languages and equipped with sufficient hotlines to communicate with tourists.

Police patrols will be reinforced in areas most frequented by tourists such as beaches and city centers. The meeting also agreed that in the future, representatives from hospitals which are popular among Middle East visitors would be invited to a discussion following complaints from tourists that their medical charges are too high. The meeting will try to make medical service here available justifiable prices. These matters will be presented to the Prime Minister for consideration.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-07-27 footer_n.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Police patrols will be reinforced in areas most frequented by tourists such as beaches

Would this include Pattaya and Phuket? rolleyes.gif

Of course, these are prime centres for the colelction of tea money - you know just to keep people safe

• Like 1

'Police patrols will be reinforced in areas most frequented by tourists such as beaches and city centers' ...........when I read this, the first thing that sprang into my mind was the memory of watching the Thai police act as negotiators/enforcers for the pond life character renting out jet ski's and scamming innocent people of their holiday money in Puket,,,,,that Big Trouble in Thailand thing .......oh, and the police execution of that Canadian guy in Pai and the attempted cover up by local cops ........anybody out there have more stories?

• Like 2

How about CCTV on beach road in Phuket and Patong. Surely they would show the jet ski mafia extorting baht from tourists under the threat of violence.

How to do if the owner of the jet ski rental is a policeman,or the police gets 50000bt tea money per months?

• Like 2

Seriously man, where are you from and just how much Thai do you speak. I have travelled over most of Thailand and yes, many people don't speak anything other than Thai, but most people don't need to. Then there is also a huge number of people that speak English and also many other languages as well. If you are married to a Thai then there surely is one that speaks two languages. Be fair when you comment about this as there are more Thais than can speak English than there are English speakers that can speak Thai.

Who the h$$ll is speaking in this country more than two languages(except issan and Thai )????and what they would be willing to pay them???? As my old father was always saying: first thinking- then talking .

Yes my friend I 100% agree with you( especially the part about the English native speakers;are they able nor willing to speak any second language)- but if you read the second part of my reply, my question has been how much is the wage for the person who is able to speak multi languages-same as BIB?

the staff who can speak the 7, is that each person can speak 7 or a combined total?

Also who would be those staff? the TVP's? because while some can speak the 7th language, they have problems with the first-Thai and English

• Like 1

the staff who can speak the 7, is that each person can speak 7 or a combined total?

Also who would be those staff? the TVP's? because while some can speak the 7th language, they have problems with the first-Thai and English

maybe they just mutilate the one language they speak 7 ways

• Like 1

Are they going to enact and enforce sensible traffic laws so one has less of a chance of getting in a accident. Also they would have to do a lot of work on the infrastructure.

Thailand is changing from the land of hubs to the land of gonna do's.

• Like 1

If they are serious about tourists welfare, then awareness should be the first priority, followed by security.

Produce a booklet (or book!) highlighting the hazards and what to look out for. If the tourist is aware then that is the first step to his/her/their safety.

Of course this will never happen unfortunately.....................sad.png

• Like 1

representatives from hospitals which are popular among Middle East visitors would be invited to a discussion following complaints from tourists that their medical charges are too high.

You have got to be sh*tting me?!?!?!?!....In the first place what the hell does that have to do with the security of tourist, and just who the hell cares about the M.E. ( I use that abbreviation because I cannot come up with vulgar enough language to truly depict what I think of these animals) tossers who cannot afford the incredibly inexpensive and high quality medical services available here??!?!?!?!

Police patrols will be reinforced in areas most frequented by tourists such as beaches

Meaning there'll be 2 or 3 cops with a "vested interest" instead of 1 to put the shits up innocent tourists and tell them they have to pay when the jet ski boys demand 50000 baht for a scratch.

Last great idea was to make 7-11 the "help" point or something like that. I guess that failed so now onto another "great" idea.

How about introducing harsh jail terms and huge fines for those involved in crimes?!

In Oz, they fined 1 shop owner something like $300 000 for charging tourist more for drinks.

I doubt he has done it again and others thought twice doing anything wrong .

• Like 1