Warning: Atm Rip Off

Tolley

Just a reminder to everyone in Pattaya to be very careful using ATM machines.

A friend of my girlfriends lost 10k baht this week.

She withdrew 20k from a machine in Pattaya Tai but when she checked her balance a few days later noticed that it was 10k short.

I went with her to the bank today to check the transaction history and according to the history it showed a 20k withdrawl and then exactly one minute later another 10k withdrawl which she never made.

She gets an SMS everytime she makes a withdrawl as a security measure because a couple of years ago she lost 100k baht from a Kasikorn account through an ATM scam.

She never got an SMS for the 10k withdrawl and the people at the bank cant explain why but they said they cant do anything because it is on the transaction history.

Personally I only use ATMS attached to a bank because there a way too many scams here.

ATM's are very convenient but also a very unsafe technology. It is no secret to most that their are groups of people here that will make copy of credit cards and through various underhanded means get your pin number. The problem is more widespread than many realize and farang credit cards are highly sought after.

What some people do not know is that you can have your bank dis-allow all ATM transactions and only allow transactions that require your signature. While this may seem problematic for cash, you can still withdrawal cash directly from banks through a manual transaction inside the bank.

Most will just shake their head at this as overkill but certainly will change their mind when one of these syndicates gets a hold of a copy of one of their cards. I was doing some online banking and watched as my card was charged 20k at an atm 30 miles away. This quickly changed my mind.

Dealing with the inconvenience is a lot easier than dealing with the theft.

When they start to include biometrics as they should have done years ago I will reconsider an ATM option.

No I have known her for 10 years and she has no reason to lie to me as I am not going to give her anything and there is no way she would go to the bank and complain if it didnt happen. She is a very straight person.

The bank with have a security/fraud department. They will know the technology available to ATM scammers and if it is possible to transact so quickly. As posted ask for the bank manager and then request to talk with the security/fraud department

Not only would there be an SMS record, but there will likely be CCTV footage of whatever took place and depending on the model of ATM, an up close snap shot of the ATM user. You will likely need to file a police report though to get the bank to get off their butts to dig through the data, in this case you should probably indicate the bank as the suspect in the beginning in lieu of not knowing who else to suspect.

:)

We are going to go to her branch tomorrow and try and get some action but I am very doubtful if they will do anything despite the fact that there should have been an SMS for the transaction.

I wish you good luck in your recovery efforts. I hate thieves. AS much as possible I try to use ATM that are physically attached to banks so I at least know they are not fake ATM's. by all means I cover as much as possible my PIN number during any withdrawal.

• Like 1

ATM's are very convenient but also a very unsafe technology. It is no secret to most that their are groups of people here that will make copy of credit cards and through various underhanded means get your pin number. The problem is more widespread than many realize and farang credit cards are highly sought after.

What some people do not know is that you can have your bank dis-allow all ATM transactions and only allow transactions that require your signature. While this may seem problematic for cash, you can still withdrawal cash directly from banks through a manual transaction inside the bank.

Most will just shake their head at this as overkill but certainly will change their mind when one of these syndicates gets a hold of a copy of one of their cards. I was doing some online banking and watched as my card was charged 20k at an atm 30 miles away. This quickly changed my mind.

When they start to include biometrics as they should have done years ago I will reconsider an ATM option.

How do you withdrawn cash directly from the banks? Just go in there and ask for...what?

I made a withdrawl with a British card through Aeon i1 year ago ,got no money but the money went from my account ,they were polite but didnt want to know ,no Thai bank does ,luckily my british bank gave my money back into my account but warned me it could take it back up to 10 months later if they could not prove what happened .

FROM what i have heard from others no matter what happens thai banks never believe you or reimburse you.

Edited by thenervoussurgeon

How do you withdrawn cash directly from the banks? Just go in there and ask for...what?

The main banks have swipe machines just like at Big C etc. that they use to swipe your card and you sign a receipt just as you would at the store. Similar to the old process of getting cash advances. Only difference is the banks give you money and not goods. I do not know how the cost compares with ATM withdrawals as I do not do it often. Also take note that small store type branches are not set up to do this. Must go to the main brick and mortar bank in town. I rest a lot easier knowing these aholes are now cut off from steeling from me anyway.Edit - Just walk in and say you want a cash advance and hand over your card. When they say use the ATM explain that the card is only set up for signature withdrawals.

Edited by BuckarooBanzai

Maybe the card by an error was still active, after she removed it from the machine. The the next customer was met with the text, asking how much he or she would like to withdraw. Hard to resist for any person.

It is not exactly rocket-scientists who service the ATM´s.

Edited by Xonax

The main banks have swipe machines just like at Big C etc. that they use to swipe your card and you sign a receipt just as you would at the store. Similar to the old process of getting cash advances. Only difference is the banks give you money and not goods. I do not know how the cost compares with ATM withdrawals as I do not do it often. Also take note that small store type branches are not set up to do this. Must go to the main brick and mortar bank in town. I rest a lot easier knowing these aholes are now cut off from steeling from me anyway.Edit - Just walk in and say you want a cash advance and hand over your card. When they say use the ATM explain that the card is only set up for signature withdrawals.

This is wrong. I have never been into a branch situated in a mall that did not do it.

Actually, one of the biggest routes for credit card fraud is waiters or other service people who take your credit card and use a pocket swiper when they're out of sight. Had that happen to me in Manila...got home a few months later to a denied credit card transaction and a bill for a few thousand dollars. I didn't have to pay for it, of course, but I got the low down from the credit card company girl. Don't hand your card to ANYBODY. Pay cash.

Not only would there be an SMS record, but there will likely be CCTV footage of whatever took place and depending on the model of ATM, an up close snap shot of the ATM user. You will likely need to file a police report though to get the bank to get off their butts to dig through the data, in this case you should probably indicate the bank as the suspect in the beginning in lieu of not knowing who else to suspect.

:)

I asked them about the camera but they didnt seem interested at all.

I dont think we will get any joy as when we go the branch tomorrow they will probably say go and lodge a complaint with the police and then the whole thing will come to nothing.

Edited by Tolley

Maybe the card by an error was still active, after she removed it from the machine. The the next customer was met with the text, asking how much he or she would like to withdraw. Hard to resist for any person.

It is not exactly rocket-scientists who service the ATM´s.

I dont think so because she would still have gotten an SMS if there was another withdrawl.

That is the mystery. The money was taken but she never got an SMS as per all her other transactions.

Talk to a manager and tell them you will get the police involved if they don't take action. I once had 100k go missing when it was deposited into a cash deposit machine at the bangkok bank. The machine was out of paper to print a receipt and the 100k never showed up in the account. It took several days of us sweating but the bank finally told us they looked at the video and saw that after we took out the card and left the machine, the drawer opened back up with our 100k just sitting there and the next person in line took it. At that point they gave us the 100k credit in the account.

No idea what happened to the next person in line that took it but I'd bet they got had as well.

The bank will take action, just talk to a manager.

Edited by Jayman

This is wrong. I have never been into a branch situated in a mall that did not do it.

It certainly does not hurt to ask any branch bank that is convenient but I have never been successful at Big C, Lotus, etc. Perhaps a larger mall may be different. Just placed the comment there to explain that it is not available everywhere.

Many things can happen with cards 2 years ago used uk card in big c, girl says card no good, i went to instore atmwith man from big c got cash paid for groceries, 2 weeks later checked my online accont found big c had taken the money, contacted my uk bank we will look into this go to big c immposible they say no signature , saked them to check cannot do was the answer ,what bank do you use i ask bangkok bank ok i will speak wth them.Bangkok bank same answer immpossible, after 3 months my uk bank refunded the money, adding please be careful in future in thailand we have many problems with thaibanks , they never admit to anything.

• Like 1

smile.png

I asked them about the camera but they didnt seem interested at all.

I dont think we will get any joy as when we go the branch tomorrow they will probably say go and lodge a complaint with the police and then the whole thing will come to nothing.

Believe you are correct here. I had 110,000 stolen before. Went to BKK Bank and they said they had photos but wouldn't release them to anybody but police.

Police wouldn't take the complaint but that's another story.

Give me a call when you have time.

OK - you all know we always get someone who says it is not just a Thai problem, so here it comes.

5 years ago in Hong Kong I withdrew a substantial sum in HK $ from an HSBC machine in that entertainment district close to the central business district (cant remember its name). Or rather I tried. No money was forthcoming. I flew out early next morning, but I am an HSBC Premier member in the UK so they took it up with HSBC HK. Back came the answer that there was no error with the machine and no problem with the cash count and the transaction record showed the amount withdrawn. They could do nothing. [No I was not drunk (by then) and no I did not have some fillipino totty on my arm!]

My only error so far in probably 20 years and probably 100s of thou of pounds withdrawn so I'm not yet sensitised to the ATM risk, other than the usual PIN, fake machine and bystander care.

Are you serious??

I guess you are a member of generation X for whom there has always been ATMs.

Let me help you out. Get a ski mask and a gun, walk into the bank with these and you can have as much cash as you want.

Just kidding. Go in and ask for a withdrawal slip. Every bank I have ever been in actually has these prominently on display at a writing counrer. Use an old fashoined pen to fill this out in an amount that doesn't exceed your balance, and the bank will be happy to oblige.

Are you serious??

I guess you are a member of generation X for whom there has always been ATMs.

Let me help you out. Get a ski mask and a gun, walk into the bank with these and you can have as much cash as you want.

Just kidding. Go in and ask for a withdrawal slip. Every bank I have ever been in actually has these prominently on display at a writing counrer. Use an old fashoined pen to fill this out in an amount that doesn't exceed your balance, and the bank will be happy to oblige.

Pen...pen... *gaze becomes clouded*.....I seem to remember this...word..."pen," ... a ritualistic writing instrument used by my ancestors.....

So....I can use the powers of this ancient "pen" even while withdrawing from a foreign account at a Thai bank?

• Like 1