Michelle Smith ‘Killers’ Reject Confession

Lite Beer

Michelle Smith ‘killers’ reject confession

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-16556CuAHAdiYWNuAQQpSYhjQxULmoo.jpg

Surasak had confessed to stabbing Mrs Smith, resulting in her death on June 20, but said he did not intend to kill her. Now he denies the charge. Photo: Orawin Narabal

PHUKET: The two men charged with the death of Australian travel agent Michelle Smith, who died from a stab wound inflicted in a bag-snatch in June, yesterday denied all charges against them.

Surasak Suwannachote, 26, and Surin Tadthong, 37, were presented at Phuket Provincial Court to enter pleas to the charges, which collectively accuse the men of murder and gang robbery.

Lt Col Boonlert Onklang of the Chalong Police confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that the specific sections of the Thai Criminal Code the men have been charged with are Sections 339, 288 and 289 (7).

In court, both men were asked whether they confessed to the charges against them.

Both men said, “No.”

The judge then scheduled both Surasak and Surin to appear in court again on August 6, to explain in detail about the previous confessions they had made to the police and why they have now plead not guilty.

The news follows Deputy National Police Chief Pansiri Prapawat telling some 50 media personnel at a a press conference on June 26 that the pair had confessed to the crime, but said they had no intention of killing Mrs Smith.

Surasak had confessed to stabbing Mrs Smith, resulting in her death on June 20, but said he did not intend to kill her, Pol Gen Pansiri told the press.

Surin had previously confessed to operating the motorbike used in the bungled bag-snatch that fateful night.

Surasak and Surin are now being held at Phuket Provincial Prison.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16556.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-07-31

The re-enactment photo above shows the accused holding a knife in the 'psycho' grip, utilized when a powerful thrust is required. That is consistent with the deep wound to Michelle Smith's heart, as detailed in other news reports of this incident.

I don't know much about Thai law, but in Australia, an intent not to kill, but to cause serious injury, where the victim dies of the injuries, is still murder.

The two accused have been on remand since their arrest for weeks now, with, no doubt, visits from a solicitor. Maybe the realization of a possible death penalty has finally hit home.

This news will not make the Smith family feel any better.

• Like 1

weak mongrels..

Yeah-hope the mongrels rot....Fancy stabbing her anyway ! the Pathetic Maggots Edited by metisdead
: Please do not post using different colored font.
  • Like 2

The two accused have been on remand since their arrest for weeks now, with, no doubt, visits from a solicitor. Maybe the realization of a possible death penalty has finally hit home.

With their not guilty plea they have opened the door again for the death penalty, which was closed after their earlier confession.

Looks like today is the day for rejected confessions.

• Like 1

I am an Aussie and I really hope the police can get a genuine conviction in this case. However after 7 years in Thailand I just wonder if these guys murdered Mrs. Smith. It is very possible that the police and politicians have just picked on these two so they can get a quick result and reduce the pressure on the authorities. If they did do it then I hope they feelt the full force of the law.

I agree, let's hope they have the right guys. My Thai stepson had a friend beaten by police a few days ago to confess to drug procession as they couldn't find any drugs on him.

With their not guilty plea they have opened the door again for the death penalty, which was closed after their earlier confession.

Looks like today is the day for rejected confessions.

It could also mean that palms have been greased, bases have been covered; and someone has smelt an acquittal. sad.png

Edited by Payboy

"Confessions" resulting from beatings are less than rare here. I know that. I can assume that such "confessions" would be more likely in high profile cases. I would guess that some of these "confessions" reflect truth.

"Confessions" resulting from beatings are less than rare here. I know that. I can assume that such "confessions" would be more likely in high profile cases. I would guess that some of these "confessions" reflect truth.

How do you know? I see from your profile you live in Pattaya, the beating I referred to post #11 took place in Pattaya and was carried out by street level police

Edited by simple1

Who knows... perhaps they WANT the death penalty. Perhaps they were beaten or threatened into changing their story so they'd get it you know, kind of like "If you guys don't deny your confession, then we'll make life REALLY comfortable for you in prison, where you'll spend the rest of your lives..."

It is feasible that they were coerced into a fake confession. Why are people so quick to blame them? Is the evidence incontrovertible or is there the possibility they are being framed? We cannot judge just because the police say they caught the suspects and the media call them the killers. This is a high-profile case and people want immediate justice, and it has been provided for them. You give too much credit to the police and to the courts and legal system by immediately believing what you are told.

And they call Thailand the Land of Smiles. Amazing Thailand. Miracle Year!

They are suspects for the crime and they have been formally charged. It is up to the court to decide whether they are guilty or not.

One may plead to a manslaughter charge and the other to a lesser charge of aiding the other to commit the crime. There is also the charge of theft of property and with causing injury to the person who went to her assistance. There was at least one witness, another Australian.

It is feasible that they were coerced into a fake confession. Why are people so quick to blame them? Is the evidence incontrovertible or is there the possibility they are being framed? We cannot judge just because the police say they caught the suspects and the media call them the killers. This is a high-profile case and people want immediate justice, and it has been provided for them. You give too much credit to the police and to the courts and legal system by immediately believing what you are told.

The first sensible post on this topic.

I am an Aussie and I really hope the police can get a genuine conviction in this case. However after 7 years in Thailand I just wonder if these guys murdered Mrs. Smith. It is very possible that the police and politicians have just picked on these two so they can get a quick result and reduce the pressure on the authorities. If they did do it then I hope they feelt the full force of the law.

The second sensible comment on the topic.

The re-enactment photo above shows the accused holding a knife in the 'psycho' grip, utilized when a powerful thrust is required. That is consistent with the deep wound to Michelle Smith's heart, as detailed in other news reports of this incident.

I don't know much about Thai law, but in Australia, an intent not to kill, but to cause serious injury, where the victim dies of the injuries, is still murder.

Not confessing and not showing remorse is the best way for them to get death penalty.

And they call Thailand the Land of Smiles. Amazing Thailand. Miracle Year!

So, you don't have murderers in your home country?

• Like 1

Interesting that the other news source that can't be named here due to forum rule 31 says the men didn't appear in court at all this past Monday. They are due in court next Monday... Somebody has got this story wrong.

Murder in Australia requires Intention or "Intent" to kill. All other deaths resulting from injury by another person are classed as manslaughter, of which there are varying degree's. Depending on which state murder is committed a life sentence can be handed down which ranges from 15-25 years. Rape and GBH have similar prison terms.

Bond Law Degree

• Like 1

Please don't blame Thailand for the actions of a couple of cheap criminals.

Let's remember that a man in Sydney killed his brother and parents on the weekend. Don't forget what happened in the US and Norway recently too. We don't condemn those three countries, do we?

• Like 2

Let's remember that a man in Sydney killed his brother and parents on the weekend. Don't forget what happened in the US and Norway recently too. We don't condemn those three countries, do we?

The Thai bashers conveniently forget what goes on in their own countries.

• Like 1

Please remember Sherlock Holmes, that the two guys were caught on CCTV for all of us too see. If this is not a slam-dunk case, then what is?

Please remember Sherlock Holmes, that the two guys were caught on CCTV for all of us too see. If this is not a slam-dunk case, then what is?

While I am not saying these men are innocent, thankfully not my decision. But from the CCTV video I saw I could not convict these two... Hopefully the police have more evidence. But as I posted before, according to one local news source these two have not appeared in court and will not appear until next Monday...