Power Tools From Australia

davoz45

Do you think there is any advantage to bringing power tools,. Beiing 240 volt in Aust, can that be a problem with Thai 220 volt, if thats what it is.

Would the price of Makita vary much to buy new in Thailand. What about the cheap stuff, and need to bring that over?

Electricity in Southern Hemisphere countries is 180o out of phase with the Northern Hemisphere, this means that Aussie power tools will run backwards in Thailand wink.png

Apart from the above the 220V / 240V won't be an issue, most tools are designed around 230V anyway so will be fine anywhere 210-250V 50Hz.

If you already have tools, bring them (you'll need a plug adaptor), but I wouldn't buy specially in Aus, the same stuff is mostly available here.

Thank Crossy for explaining the 180 degree......now I know why, when I was building the house, I thought that everything was going full steam ahead when it was actually going full steam backwards.

To the OP......I found that buying tools was cheaper in Thailand than Aus plus saves transporting them.

• Like 1

If you have them bring them. the stuff sold here is cheaper but it is also made cheaper and does not last.

It depends . Some are just the same , only cheaper in Thailand . Stick to well known brands and you will be fine . Some other stuff is harder or nearly impossible to find and/or has ridiculous prices . Like with everything in Thailand , if they not use it , forget it .

Outside of transportation costs from Australia to Thailand voltage and frequency will not be a problem.

Adaptor plugs are available in Australia and they are of better quality than the ones in Thailand, however they cost about $10 each.

You would be better to purchase your power tools in Thailand, the same brands are available. Makita, DeWalt, Ryobi etc.

If you have them bring them. the stuff sold here is cheaper but it is also made cheaper and does not last.

It depends . Some are just the same , only cheaper in Thailand . Stick to well known brands and you will be fine . Some other stuff is harder or nearly impossible to find and/or has ridiculous prices . Like with everything in Thailand , if they not use it , forget it .

When I moved out here a few years ago to help my then employer set-up a new factory I brought a lot of power tools with me from Australia. Over the years as the company grew more tools were purchased locally.

Every tool brought from AUS is still working, every tool purchased locally have been replaced numerous times.

Brands are,Makita and dewalt.

Hence my recommendation to the OP if he already has the tools bring them rather than buy here.

Edited by Spoonman

• 3 weeks later...

i would add to this that Thai sockets, plugs and powerboards are largely rubbish.

While you can buy the same tools here, I would strongly recommend bringing some good industrial quality extension cords, powerboards and a handful of good quality outdoor use/industrial sockets which would obviate the need for shonky adaptors. Also some aust replacement plugs so you can rewire local tools.

Edited by necronx99

Electricity in Southern Hemisphere countries is 180o out of phase with the Northern Hemisphere, this means that Aussie power tools will run backwards in Thailand wink.png

Apart from the above the 220V / 240V won't be an issue, most tools are designed around 230V anyway so will be fine anywhere 210-250V 50Hz.

If you already have tools, bring them (you'll need a plug adaptor), but I wouldn't buy specially in Aus, the same stuff is mostly available here.

Must be a real problem in Singapore...Being so close to the equator they will never be able to build anyhing without it falling down.

...except Panasonic, the best cordless tools money can buy.

I have a large collection of DeWalt cordless power tools ( reciprocating saw, circular saw, drills and impact drivers etc.) I would like to bring them in from the US. Is there tax on my bringing this stuff when I retire and make final move here? And will I be able to use the chargers here a they are on 120volt US standard? I also have a collection of snap on and craftsmen tools I would like to bring.

I have a large collection of DeWalt cordless power tools ( reciprocating saw, circular saw, drills and impact drivers etc.) I would like to bring them in from the US. Is there tax on my bringing this stuff when I retire and make final move here? And will I be able to use the chargers here a they are on 120volt US standard? I also have a collection of snap on and craftsmen tools I would like to bring.

The voltage in Thailand is 220/380 volt 3 phase 4 wire 50Hz.

Single phase is 220V 2 wire 50Hz.

It would be unlikely that you may have to pay import duties as the portable tools are used and not for resale.

What Electau said ^^^.

You will not be able to plug your chargers directly in to the supply here unless they are marked as "110-250V 50/60Hz" (universal voltage), however simple / cheap converters are available and your chargers will work just fine using them.

Your biggest issue will be the unknowing plugging your charger directly into a local outlet (same format as the US) at which point they will stop being chargers and start being landfill :(

Just a thought ...

I'm also a 'lapsed' electrician, though haven’t worked in the trade for nigh on 30 years and when I did it was for the company like Ergon Energy or ENERGEX.

From their perspective, and under state law, the voltage was allowed to vary by 10% either side of the 240 volt so there is some flexibility there with working voltages.

OH, if you ever want to view a 'wacky' electricial system, take a look at Japan's generating capacity.

• 9 months later...

Makita has assembly plants in many countries including a brand new assembly plant in Thailand. DeWALT is very aggressive in promotions in Thailand. There may be Makita or DeWALT accessories not readily available in Thailand, that if you already own in Australia would be prudent to bring in checked luggage. Makita and DeWALT often send technical staff, not just "booth babes" to higher volume tool dealers in Thailand who can answer your questions face to face. They often will offer some level of a free tune up or free minor repair if you are at the right independent tool shop. Even out of warranty repairs on major tool brands need not be expensive and need not take a long time in Thailand. The technician wearing a DeWALT shirt in Buriram tuned up an older DeWALT chop saw I had bought years ago and my inlaws abused. It works like new. The shops that are the authorized Service centers might have better trained staff on premise to help you with Makita or DeWALT tool repairs.

post-20604-0-06236900-1371533683_thumb.j

post-20604-0-81804900-1371533712_thumb.j

post-20604-0-88059800-1371533763_thumb.j

post-20604-0-04722700-1371533783_thumb.j

post-20604-0-75096600-1371533819_thumb.j

post-20604-0-16404300-1371533861_thumb.j

post-20604-0-40706400-1371534239_thumb.j