Internet Speeds

Tariya

We have both TOT and CAT with 10mb down and 1m up. And that's what we get inside Thailand.

Internationally - to the UK and U.S - we are getting 512k down and 200k up (if we get any up at all). They both tell us "that's the way it is". How about 3BB, any one getting better speeds then we are and are you able to stream live BBC?

Also Jomtien... ran a speed test this morning and it is a little slower because I am running a virus check spyware scan which takes a lot of the processor.

Test against:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 6060 kbps (757.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 435 kbps (54.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 170 ms

Saturday, August 04, 2012 9:36:04 AM

I have ToT 6GB. The speed tests say I get 4 or so, but many of these tests are cached. So not really a true speed test.

I have major problems streaming video outside Thailand. Sometimes very good, many times very bad. This has been discussed a lot over in the internet forum. Thailand just has limited bandwidth to the rest of the world.

Speeds are also dependent on the time of day. The more users on at one time, the slower your speeds may be. When I was in the US, you could almost place a bet on when the internet would slow down. 8am every morning. Weekends were bad also. Nights were great.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/574634-true-internet-throttling-nntp-last-2-days/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573392-nuts-internet-speed-up-to-60mbps/

(read post #11 here)

Thanks for all the info, especially Craig3365 and the references to the other internet threads. This all cleared up the issues and what's happening, but not the frustrations of course. Is anyone ever able to get consistent live streams direct from BBC and its iPlayer, relatively free of stops&go's? I mean straight from BBC via unblock-us or a similar service? Immediately speaking, I'm talking about the Olympics... we get 15sec on/15 sec off consistently throughout a broadcast, day or night. So I want to know if anyone does any better, not with local feeds but straight to the BBC iPlayer and when there isn't such a great demand for bandwidth as there is now vis a vis the Olympics, does anyone ever get steady uninterrupted streaming?

And so, slightly mulled that I am... I discovered the Official Olympics channel on youtube -- www.youtube.com/olympic. It has everything!! Live streams, all the replays, HD, complete schedule coverage, etc., etc.,etc and best of all- no latency issues. What a great relief!

I have ToT 6GB. The speed tests say I get 4 or so, but many of these tests are cached. So not really a true speed test.

I have major problems streaming video outside Thailand. Sometimes very good, many times very bad. This has been discussed a lot over in the internet forum. Thailand just has limited bandwidth to the rest of the world.

Speeds are also dependent on the time of day. The more users on at one time, the slower your speeds may be. When I was in the US, you could almost place a bet on when the internet would slow down. 8am every morning. Weekends were bad also. Nights were great.

http://www.thaivisa....tp-last-2-days/

http://www.thaivisa....d-up-to-60mbps/

(read post #11 here)

I have 3BB premier service. It's only 3Mb/1Mb, but have no problems with streaming video on several machines at the same time. There's obviously a reason why premier costs 2500 baht per month for 5Mb/1Mb... you share with less people. I have the standard TOT 6Mb service too, but never use it unless my other connection goes down.

Speed tests don't tell you much about the quality of the connection. It's only gives you the average speed between 2 points.. but doesn't tell you about the highs and lows along the way...which plays havoc with video streaming. High speed standard services seem to be ok with bittorrents though, because they are connected to multiple servers at the same time.

Thanks for all the info, especially Craig3365 and the references to the other internet threads. This all cleared up the issues and what's happening, but not the frustrations of course. Is anyone ever able to get consistent live streams direct from BBC and its iPlayer, relatively free of stops&go's? I mean straight from BBC via unblock-us or a similar service? Immediately speaking, I'm talking about the Olympics... we get 15sec on/15 sec off consistently throughout a broadcast, day or night. So I want to know if anyone does any better, not with local feeds but straight to the BBC iPlayer and when there isn't such a great demand for bandwidth as there is now vis a vis the Olympics, does anyone ever get steady uninterrupted streaming?

Yes, I get steady uninterrupted streaming on the Olympic YouTube channel 24/7 with the premier 3BB service. I watch it about 5 hours per day.

Tariya: If you still have problems, get a tech to come out and look at your wiring. It's been reported before that this can cause major problems. I'm going to have it done at my house this next week. I can't find the post, but one member posted a pic of his wiring. Jeez....unreal how they have this setup sometimes. Exposed boxes, exposed wiring, cheap wiring...crazy.

True is good and cheap!!

2101929221.png

MMMMMMMM ping time of 13ms to Tampa they don't cache the results honest guv.....

I did a rough calculation a while ago. I think the theoretical limit to the US is around 200ms at 100% the speed of light.

True is good and cheap!!

2101929221.png

MMMMMMMM ping time of 13ms to Tampa they don't cache the results honest guv.....

I did a rough calculation a while ago. I think the theoretical limit to the US is around 200ms at 100% the speed of light.

Yes, but that is with 'foreign' light. Everyone knows that Thai light is much better and faster (I'm told a Thai invented light).

Suggest yankee99 retries the test via the true proxy which does not cache tests.

Set proxy to proxy.trueinternet.co.th and repeat test.

Tariya: If you still have problems, get a tech to come out and look at your wiring. It's been reported before that this can cause major problems. I'm going to have it done at my house this next week. I can't find the post, but one member posted a pic of his wiring. Jeez....unreal how they have this setup sometimes. Exposed boxes, exposed wiring, cheap wiring...crazy.

I just connected to True internet and had a look at the wiring in the box of wires in my apartment, it is just shocking... Maybe not the only reason why it is slow but for sure it is contributing to my problem. Does anyone knows a good tech in Bangkok to come, check and fix what need to be reinstalled properly?

Many Thanks

Edited by Mactao