Any Tips To Make Your Dogs Stop Stealing Chickens?

hehe, I actually think it's quite amusing, but I don't think the owners share the same sentiment. My dogs have taken to stealing chickens, and bringing them home. And not dead chickens, but the live squawking ones. They don't ever seem to have any intention of killing the things, and just bring them home to play with, or show off, or who knows why.

Each time we just shove the chicken into the cage we used for the pups, and wait for someone to come by to claim it (and throw a tantrum at us). And of course it's always my fault, because I'm the white guy, and it's easier to blame the foreigner. Definitely not their fault for allowing their chickens to run around the city freely, instead of putting them in a pen.

Ohhh... only in Thailand. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not your fault because you're a white guy - it's your fault because you have no control over your dogs.

What??? Absolutely everyone around here allows their dogs to run around freely without a leash, so I just followed suit and did the same.

They just recently discovered where the chickens are, so hopefully it's just a phase.

Get some chickens of your own.

That will save your dogs having to roam the streets stealing chickens to play with

thus, eliminating the problems that you have with your neighbors.

• Like 2

this was one reason we got our dog because he was stealing chickens and they were ending up in the pot,we had him for 14months when a new security guard brought his pet to work dont laugh but its a chicken,as we walk past him 4times in the evening we had to keep him on a tight leash a wack with a newspaper done the trick now he doesnt even look at it,so my advice for you buy a lead and dont be lazy take him out.

Take your dogs to the chickens. When ever they show ANY interest in the chickens give them a hit (not hard) to take their attention away from the chickens.

No need to hit the dogs. Take a newspaper, hold your dog, hit anything, like the wall, and make a lot of noise. It is very efficient and you never touch your dog. Just make sure your dog understand why you're not happy.

If you have many dogs, it's important to identify the leader. It's him (or her) you need to correct, the others will follow.

A favourite method that has been posted many times is this:

Tie your dogs legs together so he cannot move.

Tie a dead chicken round his neck and leave him for a couple of hours.

The experience will be so bad that he will never chase a chicken again.

Sounds terrible and I have never tried it but some members have and swear by it.

Take your dogs to the chickens. When ever they show ANY interest in the chickens give them a hit (not hard) to take their attention away from the chickens.

No need to hit the dogs. Take a newspaper, hold your dog, hit anything, like the wall, and make a lot of noise. It is very efficient and you never touch your dog. Just make sure your dog understand why you're not happy.

If you have many dogs, it's important to identify the leader. It's him (or her) you need to correct, the others will follow.

I don't mean hit the dog to hurt it, just to get it's attention. It would be no worse than giving it a fright by banging other things.

If you have ANY dogs, it's important to identify YOU as the leader.

Edited by whybother

I don't mean hit the dog to hurt it, just to get it's attention. It would be no worse than giving it a fright by banging other things.

If you have ANY dogs, it's important to identify YOU as the leader.

Correct. The beating should be aimed at the leader. tongue.png

• Like 1

‘whybother’ has the answer……. Your dog is bored……….. Dogs learn behavior by association, you need to teach your dog. The best way is to treat your dog as you would a small child, praise the good actions, and chastise the bad.

This, I feel will go one of three ways; teach your dog not to mess with other wildlife….Job done. Or you will start getting blamed for ALL the chicken, (real and imaginary) that go missing and you will have to start paying out. The last one involves your dog being poisoned, this is the most likely one.

One last thing ‘cdnmatt’ you said; “What??? Absolutely everyone around here allows their dogs to run around freely without a leash, so I just followed suit and did the same.”…..Really? You know a lot of Thai have no problem driving shitfaced or riding motorbikes without rear lights at night and no helmet……….OK is it……….As everyone is doing it?

I’m not trying to wind you up, but that was a pretty daft statement, don’t you think.

Edited by metisdead
: Font reset.
  • Like 1

Why not just fit the Dog's out with muzzles, which also stops them eating any old shit that they see laying around that may end up poisoning them. Will save a lot of time training and hitting them and give you more time for drinking beer. Problem solved.

Lend me your dogs for a couple of days to rid my house of my FIL little buggers - just washed the car and the <snippers> have taken a dump on it in 10 minutes!

Edited by metisdead
: Profanity

One thing to be aware of if you have a smart dog; don't let them have internet access..............thumbsup.gif

post-76988-0-74933500-1344225536_thumb.j

They learn too dam_n fast...................biggrin.png

Edited by chrisinth

A Thai lady I was having a conversation with a few nights ago has the same problem and is worried about her dogs either being poisoned or getting a bill for a prized fighting cock as mentioned above by Evadgib. She said the chickens wander onto her unfenced land.

I didn't have much in the way of advice to offer her (except to build a fence) but we did talk about the fact that my dog,a one year old spayed female, wasn't inclined to make problems on my street where she is able to wander a little bit. On our street are other dogs, cats, children and chickens and we've had no complaints, most of the time she can be seen playing with the other small dogs and young children and doesn't seem to notice the chickens. Possibly she approached the chickens when she was a lot smaller than she is now and was told by the chicken in no uncertain terms to get lost, no idea if this ever happened but she doesn't go near chickens. She does still seem to be curious about the cat that sleeps on our balcony but somewhere along the line has developed a healthy respect for cats also. Cats are pretty good at putting puppies in their place.

The lady I speak of has three dogs one male and two females; they are all intact and she acknowledged that it might be a good idea to sterilise them.

I also mentioned that I take my dog on a daily outing which includes a long walk, she loves chasing birds on the beach though (not likely to catch one as they are flying), so she's usually too tired to make problems. She's also only outside if we are at home and awake to listen out for problems.

My dog is a mixed breed soi dog, definitely some terrier in her as she loves to dig but she's not quite as into fetching or swimming as other dogs we see. If your dogs are retriever types or some kind of duck hunting working dogs maybe you should take them to a beach or a lake for long games of fetch or similar to fulfill their need. And then supervise them at home or keep them secured, for their own safety, until you have them under control, and maybe put loud bells on them (this is still not being true to the nature of the dog though). I'd hate to hear of them being poisoned or beaten over this. They sound like clever dogs who just need more to do.

Good luck!

"And of course it's always my fault, because I'm the white guy, and it's easier to blame the foreigner. Definitely not their fault for allowing their chickens to run around the city freely, instead of putting them in a pen."

"What??? Absolutely everyone around here allows their dogs to run around freely without a leash, so I just followed suit and did the same."

blink.png