Making A Phantom A Mean Machine.

thequietman

ok, so I am keeping the 150 2-stroke engine on the bike. thanks to all of you for your advice to leave it as is.

Now, I want to make it look meaner and most importantly to sound meaner.

What can I do guys, what are the costs and have any of you did this?

any pics would be appreciated. I am not a speed freak, comfort is important.

so, suggestions on what I can buy to make the phantom 150 2 stroke chunkier, stream line , sweet sounding and a head turner.

thanks in advance for all your help.

regards. giggle.gif

Ahem.....write Hairy Davidson on it perhaps ?

You won't get the sound of a big bike, i just think it look silly when i see a phantom with 4 pipes etc, and it won't have that low rev power ever.

The usual & cheapest tactic to get noisier is to drill a small hole in the pipe

Edited by poanoi

Making it look meaner would be getting everything blacked out. Making it sound meaner...lol...it's a 2T 150 single. You will never get that throb from a big bike because there's not enough cylinders. Not sure what the pipe is like, but you could get some of the idle stutter by adjusting power delivery up into the RPM range, but your daily ridablity would go to crap. Drilling out a 6-8 mm hole just shy of the muffler would increase SPL, but it'd still sound like a small displacement single.

Ok, an idea....

1. you cut the rear part of the frame to be able to have a 200 tire on there (you need that)

2. then you mount a honda steed engine in it (the larger you can get the better it is)

3. throw on some really long forks with some monkey bars (long and tall, then you can't turn, but you will have a better ride (i think))

4. You realize that you had a good bike to begin with, and sells this one to buy a larger bike that is more comfortable and fits you.

ITS A HONDA PHANTOM, leave it like it is, when you change stuff on it, you will look like a clown!!!

Ps. whatever you do, please post some pictures so we can all look at your ride...

• Like 2

Well one thing is certain, if you are stepping up the size,

the cost is going to skyrocket, you won't believe your eyes,

the cost to buy it was just the beginning.

If you still plan on buying one, i'd suggest Honda Steed 600,

there is plenty of Steed around so spare parts are cheap & plentiful,

and only difference between 400 & 600 is cylinders.

You can buy a good condition Steed 600 for 130.000.

Still, what you got now is practically for free so you may want to keep it that way,

and the icing of the cake is that any backwater repair shop can fix it any where any time for 200 baht, no need to pay 4000 just to bring it to a repair shop and then another 4000 to fix it.

And that my friend is something to rejoice about

• Like 1

ok, so I am keeping the 150 2-stroke engine on the bike. thanks to all of you for your advice to leave it as is.

Same advice: leave it as it is. No posturing, please. Thailand has enough noise already. Besides, people turn around to see it's only a Phantom, they're just gonna laugh.

About the only thing that would be halfway cool, if you've just go to do something, is to give it a rat bike paint job. Some examples here: http://www.ratbike.org/pages/07ace13.htm. The Keeway (happened to see one, once, in Pattaya) comes in flat black and looks pretty good for what it is.

The Keeway paint scheme looks good but I don't think it will stay that way. Happy with my Phantom the way it is, all I've done is change the seat, much more comfortable. Put on crash bars at the front, footplates, a couple of spotlights and panniers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Same advice: leave it as it is. No posturing, please. Thailand has enough noise already. Besides, people turn around to see it's only a Phantom, they're just gonna laugh.

About the only thing that would be halfway cool, if you've just go to do something, is to give it a rat bike paint job. Some examples here: http://www.ratbike.o...es/07ace13.htm. The Keeway (happened to see one, once, in Pattaya) comes in flat black and looks pretty good for what it is.

Here is my old Phantom TA200. It was orange when I bought it. Raked out a little on the front end, stock tank and exhaust, 180 rear tire.

post-65746-0-03000000-1345982917_thumb.j

The paint job I did myself, a mix of flat and glossy black. This is what it looked like 2 days before I sold it.

post-65746-0-21038800-1345983382_thumb.jpost-65746-0-62728800-1345983424_thumb.j

About the only thing that would be halfway cool, if you've just go to do something, is to give it a rat bike paint job. Some examples here: http://www.ratbike.o...es/07ace13.htm. The Keeway (happened to see one, once, in Pattaya) comes in flat black and looks pretty good for what it is.

Here is my old Phantom TA200. It was orange when I bought it. Raked out a little on the front end, stock tank and exhaust, 180 rear tire.

The paint job I did myself, a mix of flat and glossy black. This is what it looked like 2 days before I sold it.

post-65746-0-21038800-1345983382_thumb.jpost-65746-0-62728800-1345983424_thumb.j

I like the chrome on mine, I notice the latest versions have very little.

The "before" photo looks better than the "after" photo. Shoulda left it alone.

• Like 1

The "before" photo looks better than the "after" photo. Shoulda left it alone.

Good for me someone else disagreed with your opinion. I sold it for 15,000 more than I paid for it and for the paint/work a year after I bought it.

Edited by floridaguy

Bike looks badass in black ! I see you got some painting skills there.

Not everyone can paint like glass thumbsup.gif

did you use a spray rig or automotive grade spray cans? I use automotive grade spray cans and are still vibrant after 5 years.

Edited by KRS1

Bike looks badass in black ! I see you got some painting skills there.

Not everyone can paint like glass thumbsup.gif

did you use a spray rig or automotive grade spray cans? I use automotive grade spray cans and are still vibrant after 5 years.

Thanks, I really do take my time. I use spray cans. Really the quality of the finished product is in the prep work and the process of painting itself. The paint matters, but I have seen great paint jobs from bad paint, and it is all too easy to produce bad paint jobs from great paint. I use off the shelf automotive spray cans, sand paper, etc sourced locally in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand. I probably spend 80-90% of the time doing prep, and then the wet sanding between coats. Very little time is spent actually painting.

Take a look at this thread for my current project bike, I go into alot of detail about how I constructed a less than ideal paint booth in a garage and painted all the fairings and frame on a Honda NC30

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/554287-honda-vfr400rr-nc30-project-bike/

• Like 1

I have an 16+ year old Honda 2 stroke 150cc Phantom and a 6 year old 4 stroke 200 cc Phantom . The 2 stroke is all original the 4 stroke has bars, spots and side carriers They are both called " HARLEY " that is there alter ego and they seem happy you could always give it a nice paint job but remember there are people out there who are always looking for original bikes such as the 150 2 stroke ENJOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!post-130732-0-68798900-1346144295_thumb.

Thanks, I really do take my time. I use spray cans. Really the quality of the finished product is in the prep work and the process of painting itself. The paint matters, but I have seen great paint jobs from bad paint, and it is all too easy to produce bad paint jobs from great paint. I use off the shelf automotive spray cans, sand paper, etc sourced locally in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand. I probably spend 80-90% of the time doing prep, and then the wet sanding between coats. Very little time is spent actually painting.

Take a look at this thread for my current project bike, I go into alot of detail about how I constructed a less than ideal paint booth in a garage and painted all the fairings and frame on a Honda NC30

http://www.thaivisa....0-project-bike/

You really have to get yourself a Can Gun 1 for spray cans man, they are awesome...worth every single penny even if you have to pay double for shipping. No more sore thumbs and much easier to fan the spray, much more control. Too bad im not in LOS right now or else i'd give you one, i have 3 sitting in BKK right now. You wont find them in Thailand.

If you do decide to get one, only buy the Can Gun 1 its built the best.

I love that buildable spray primer by Pylac...its cut my bondo time down by quite a bit.

can.jpg

Edited by KRS1

http://www.thaivisa....0-project-bike/

You really have to get yourself a Can Gun 1 for spray cans man, they are awesome...worth every single penny even if you have to pay double for shipping. No more sore thumbs and much easier to fan the spray, much more control. Too bad im not in LOS right now or else i'd give you one, i have 3 sitting in BKK right now. You wont find them in Thailand.

If you do decide to get one, only buy the Can Gun 1 its built the best.

I love that buildable spray primer by Pylac...its cut my bondo time down by quite a bit.

can.jpg

Haha, I have been searching for this in Bangkok for the last couple of weeks. I hear the Rust Oleam grip was utter crap.

yeah dont get the rustoleum it feels like its going to break everytime you load a can.

I'd see if you can get one off of ebay...theyre only like $6 at an ACE hardware store in the US.

I took one to a paint store in Chiang Mai once to see about selling them, and the guy was in utter amazement.

If you email a website and ask, they may be able to mail it to you.

Edited by KRS1