Android Experiment Ends With A Bang!

bobbin

Yes, barely two weeks since buying my first Android phone, it all ended with a crash.

I dropped it, cracking the screen.... w00t.gif

It works but looks bad. Not cost-efficient to replace a screen on a Bt.2000 phone. Ten years carrying a mobile and I've never dropped one.

Now if, this was a high-end Gorilla-Glassed phone, that would have been a non-event. Problem is that I don't feel Thailand is quite ready for smartphones after my admittedly short time with one. So I'm not prepared to shell out for a high-end phone at this time.

What I mean by the above is that in the more developed markets there is much more "support" for them. Use the GPS for restaurants, dry-cleaners etc. It's one of the most used functions. That's why the big boys are fighting it out over mapping. Google is for now the main player, with Apple bringing their own version to iOS 6. Google Navigation doesn't work in Thailand, not off-line anyway! Pay bills with NFC. etc etc.

So, instead of using this cheaper phone for 6-12 months while the phones add better hardware and lower prices, I'll have to buy another one in this or similar price brackets. Since I will have effectively doubled my price entry point by having to buy two of them in quick succession, so much for "cheap" experimentation.

Edited by bobbin

Ouch, unlucky!

I still found it worth upgrading to a more expensive model after trialling with a cheap model.

It's true some of the gps/location based stuff is not up to scratch fo Thailand, but the same can be said for any (dedicated) gps device...

Plenty of other stuff to with android though.

It does take some time to find all the stuff though, I'm doing stuff I never would have tought about doing, but found it by looking for stuff other people do, and rgularly found usefull stuff to the point I now could't do without my device anymore...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

As I understand it, Gorilla Glass offers more in the way of surface protection, rather than collision protection - that is to say, I doubt a Gorilla Glass-equipped phone would have survived the fall/drop. Both my SGS1 and SGS2 have Gorilla Glass but I have never dropped either, yet. I have a pretty light-weight Body Glove case on both. Having a really good case may be a wise choice for those who need the extra protection? I was in a T-Mobile shop in the U.S. recently, and while waiting in line commented positively on a woman's (in front me) iPhone case. She proceeded to through it onto the floor, completely unprompted, to demonstrate it's strength. I think it was some sort of triple protection Otterbox case? She had a year old daughter in a stroller and said the case has been a life-saver as here daughter likes to mis-handle her phone often.

I do use Google Maps with Navigation and Streetview, as well as caching off-line maps "squares" for metro-Bangkok (Navigation and caching requires modding), but I also have an unlimited data plan so this is less of an issue for me. I think there are a fair amount of POIs, i.e. find stuff nearby, but these may be more Thai-centric, and not a lot of dry-cleaners here anyway ;). NFC hasn't really made a dent here, or in the U.S. to date.

bobbin,

There are shops that specialize in replacement of digitizer pads, and screens. (A digitizer pad replacement was 400 baht for my Android phone.)

Look for a cluster of cell phone shops. Usually, one there. Or, they know.

Cheers

Edited by TwentyBaht

Update

With TwentyBaht's suggestion in mind, i set off to TukCom Pattaya to try my luck. No one had any spare parts for ZTE phones. In looking around, I found that the next step up to 1Ghz dual-core was in the Bt.8000 range. sad.png

Back to Tesco-Lotus. No ZTE phones on display but on asking at service desk, turns out they still had a few in stock at the same price..Bt.1990. Now I have two! I'll never have to worry about spare parts...aside from the screen. biggrin.png

Seriously though, the service centre is here in Pattaya, so I'm going to give them the cracked-screen phone and they can send it back to China if it's going to be Bt.1000 or less to replace. 2-4 weeks? no problem...

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I was just reading the post wondering at screen replacement costs of SG2, with quotes coming in at Bt.4500-6000, and it reminded me to update this thread.

The service centres eventually turned out to be in the AIS building in Sri Racha and at AIS in Chonburi Central Mall. I took mine into Sri Racha and though they had apparently never seen a ZTE phone (in the front offices), they accepted it and said they would call in a week or so with the repair quote. One week later they called and said it would be Bt.1100 to replace the screen. Would I confirm? I did, and 3 days later they called back and said it was ready. Just like new and provided the broken screen as well. Not bad. smile.png

No , my phone is the Racer II. Very entry level. I signed up for 1GB/month data plan for Bt.350/month and didn't use any of it, so let the subscription lapse. Couldn't find any use for it when out and about. Using my home wifi for TuneIn internet radio is cool though.

As I understand it, Gorilla Glass offers more in the way of surface protection, rather than collision protection - that is to say, I doubt a Gorilla Glass-equipped phone would have survived the fall/drop. Both my SGS1 and SGS2 have Gorilla Glass but I have never dropped either, yet. I have a pretty light-weight Body Glove case on both. Having a really good case may be a wise choice for those who need the extra protection? I was in a T-Mobile shop in the U.S. recently, and while waiting in line commented positively on a woman's (in front me) iPhone case. She proceeded to through it onto the floor, completely unprompted, to demonstrate it's strength. I think it was some sort of triple protection Otterbox case? She had a year old daughter in a stroller and said the case has been a life-saver as here daughter likes to mis-handle her phone often.

I do use Google Maps with Navigation and Streetview, as well as caching off-line maps "squares" for metro-Bangkok (Navigation and caching requires modding), but I also have an unlimited data plan so this is less of an issue for me. I think there are a fair amount of POIs, i.e. find stuff nearby, but these may be more Thai-centric, and not a lot of dry-cleaners here anyway wink.png. NFC hasn't really made a dent here, or in the U.S. to date.

*I think there is much more to Gorilla glass than surface hardness. Watch the video;

I read about Otterbox before, so went to their website. Unfortunately, though they have a great reputation for protecting your investment, they only make cases for a very few, top-selling phones.

Even the more basic covers in Tuk-Com are only available for a few models, mainly popular Samsung phones and iPhones.

I would guess in a couple of years, most smartphones will come with Gorilla Glass (now up to version 2) or something similar.

Edited by bobbin