What'S The Reason That 7 Eleven Won'T Sell Beer Until After 5?

giddyup

All shops, countrywide, selling alcoholic beverages under a retail license are subject to the same laws, no exceptions for tourist areas. As said some chains computer systems reject scanning of retail items outside of permitted hours.

If the shop holds a license to sell wholesale then can sell a quantity equal or in excess of 10 litres at any time.

As is normal in Thailand if a law/regulation causes an inconvenience then a lot of people will ignore it. Our local ( privately owned) supermarket will not sell single bottles outside of hours but their '10 litres' is 1 box/slab of beer.

Its very strange indeed...

The law as I understand it is to prevent School Children from buying alcohol between 2-5pm.... it appears they can't get as pi$$ed as they like after 5pm !!!

Villa Supermarket near Sukhumvit 33 won't sell over these times. However, Villa Supermarket in Thonglor will... !!!...

Its very strange indeed...

The law as I understand it is to prevent School Children from buying alcohol between 2-5pm.... it appears they can't get as pi$$ed as they like after 5pm !!!

Villa Supermarket near Sukhumvit 33 won't sell over these times. However, Villa Supermarket in Thonglor will... !!!...

I regularly buy alcohol at Villa 33/1 at any time of the day - never a problem or even a query.

Patrick

It's only 7 11, every mom and pop store will sell it to you all day long (though I don't reccommend starting before 9am) smile.png

See what I said above. I have never been refused beer by my local 7 elevens, whatever time.

Ok, we heard you! What do you want? A medal??

Edited by HardenedSoul

The law!

I've never had that problem in Pattaya. Does it just apply to Bangkok?

Yes you have, thats why you started this thread.

It's only 7 11, every mom and pop store will sell it to you all day long (though I don't reccommend starting before 9am) smile.png

See what I said above. I have never been refused beer by my local 7 elevens, whatever time.

Why did you not purchase from there this time ?

Know for a fact, that the big chains like 7-11 and Tesco can't scan alcohol during the prohibited hours, so if the staff despite that are being friendly to you and selling, it is probably because it gives them an opportunity to pocket your money w00t.gif

In Hua Hin the big chain-stores near schools don't sell alcohol or cigarettes at any time, but the mom/pop-shop closer to the school are happy to supply the kids with cigarets in "looseweight". Funny old country. whistling.gif

I recall when the sevens sold booze 24hrs. Now my local sevens (bangkok) can't scan alcohol items during the restricted hours. I assume sevens in tourist areas are allowed to sell all day. The law, as somebody mentioned, has been a god send for the little mom and pop shops.

I may be wrong but I have always believed that 7 / 11's - at least in major cities - are now "on-line" to a Centre run by the Thai Master Franchise owner which records all Sales, mainly to arrange re-stocking automatically without the small Franchise owner having to Order himself. This same system would record if that Franchisee scanned a sale of alcohol outside the legally permitted times, resulting in a penalty or even loss of the Franchise. Hence they usually will not allow a sale outside the legal hours.

Patrick

its not working tell them, never have many items by me

I don't think they'll care if you're a farang. They just want to stop kids from buying I think.

Not true. Ive tried to bribe counter staff into letting me buy and even a 1000baht bribe didnt work. They said come back when we can sell.

Many places have programed cash registers that will refuse to read bar codes with alcohol content within illegal hours.

This it's the law argument is just a myth, if it were you would see mom and pop shops prosecuted but I never heard of one being ever for selling out of hours. I have been served at 7-11 out of hours many times. Andrew Biggs did a column a few years ago in the Sunday Bkk post magazine backed up by a lawyer, in which he explained how it is not actually law but only got as far as a govt request. Our local mom and pop shops will sell anytime but not when it is illegal such as Buddha days or election days.

Edited by sms747

I don't think they'll care if you're a farang. They just want to stop kids from buying I think.

Not true. Ive tried to bribe counter staff into letting me buy and even a 1000baht bribe didnt work. They said come back when we can sell.

Lol, you should have found the nearest copper. A 1000bt bribe, he would of gone and got you a slab of beer and for that much probably deliver it to your home too.

Spoonman. If you'd actually taken the trouble to read my post, you would have seen that I was refused in Bangkok. I said that I'd never had the problem in Pattaya. I could hardly buy beer in Pattaya when I was physically in Bangkok. Have I made it clear enough for you to grasp?

Ok, we heard you! What do you want? A medal??

Yeah, but some people just don't listen. Want a medal? How old are you, ten?